PDA

View Full Version : What would you do (fixing bikes)?

riffer
21st June 2004, 13:36
Okay, here's my dilemma:

I can:

1. buy some secondhand 1987 FZR1000 forks supposedly in excellent condition from Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers in Aussie ($600)

2. buy some Tarozzi OEM replacement fork chromes (brand new - $600), and get new dust seals ($50), bushes ($100), and oil seals ($36) - total $786 and rebuild my forks myself (hopefully re-using my top oil seals or else more $$$).

3. buy the genuine Yamaha fork chromes ($960) with all included bushes and seals (except top oil and dust seals) and rebuild myself

4. Be a cheap and dodgy bastard and get the forks straightened (no guarantees) - $300

Of course I have bugger-all $$ and have to save for this anyway so its a bit moot at the moment.

What would you guys do?

riffer
21st June 2004, 13:40
Typical. In my excitement at doing my first poll I type B's instead of G's.

Those first words in the first two options should obviously be "Get"

:Oops:

James Deuce
21st June 2004, 13:42
What a silly bunt.

Two Smoker
21st June 2004, 13:45
Go for the Tarozzi, as they are brand new..... The second hand forks might be dodgy as you dont know what has happened to them and wont know till you get them......

Stuff the original Yammy ones..... too expensive.....

Im sure WT will give you a hand if ya need it :niceone:

jrandom
21st June 2004, 13:58
Get the secondhand ones after you check up on the reputation of the place you're buying from.

If, for instance, someone from Mt Eden MCs or Colemans told me that a set of second-hand forks was mint, I'd be inclined to believe them.

If you can't be sure of the source's honesty (ie, would they tell you if they couldn't be sure that THEIR set had never been damaged?), then get the aftermarket set.

Don't straighten your old ones. A few hundred dollars difference isn't worth not being sure of their structural integrity. Particularly not at the speeds YOU travel, you filthy lawbreaker, you.

Posh Tourer :P
21st June 2004, 14:00
I'd go for second hand. I hear the name Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers bandied about quite a lot, especially for classic and vintage bikes, so they ought to know what they are doing. Talk to people about their rep though... You dont want to end up with dodgy forks....

riffer
21st June 2004, 14:07
Particularly not at the speeds YOU travel, you filthy lawbreaker, you.
What! I'll have you know I've never exceed the bike's recommended maximum speed <_<

vifferman
21st June 2004, 14:38
Typical. In my excitement at doing my first poll I type B's instead of G's.

Those first words in the first two options should obviously be "Get"

:Oops:
You sure you didn't land head-first when you crashed? :Pokey:

riffer
21st June 2004, 14:39
You sure you didn't land head-first when you crashed? :Pokey:
FS you psychic! Actually I did land head first :eek5:

You ought to see the visor of my helmet!

Milky
21st June 2004, 14:46
I've got a dollar on the second hand forks....

vifferman
21st June 2004, 15:11
I've got a dollar on the second hand forks....
Yeah, me too. I take it these ones have all the bits you need, or is that just the chromes? If so, it'd be the easiest way to go, and you might get off with not much more work to do than put fresh fork oil in. I might also be a good opportunity to maybe improve your forks a bit, if they need new springs, improved damping action, etc.

Do the Tarozzis take the damper bits 'n pieces of your existing forks? Are they good kit? They sound Italian, but not all italian stuff is good (they are the Taiwan of Europe for some stuff...)

Deano
21st June 2004, 15:12
Can you get some sort of warranty for the second hand option ?

And what is the max recommended speed limit ?.........flat out ???

kerryg
21st June 2004, 15:27
Okay, here's my dilemma:

I can:

1. buy some secondhand 1987 FZR1000 forks supposedly in excellent condition from Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers in Aussie ($600)

2. buy some Tarozzi OEM replacement fork chromes (brand new - $600), and get new dust seals ($50), bushes ($100), and oil seals ($36) - total $786 and rebuild my forks myself (hopefully re-using my top oil seals or else more $$$).

3. buy the genuine Yamaha fork chromes ($960) with all included bushes and seals (except top oil and dust seals) and rebuild myself

4. Be a cheap and dodgy bastard and get the forks straightened (no guarantees) - $300

Of course I have bugger-all $$ and have to save for this anyway so its a bit moot at the moment.

What would you guys do?

Smythe & Yeates in Cambridge are very good at that sort of work. If anyone can do it they can and if your stanchions can't be safely repaired they'll tell you. Problem is you've got to send your stuff to Cambridge for them to have a look. They straighten sliders, brake rotors,frames as well and they do a great job repairing cast wheels (and they are not paying me for saying so)

riffer
21st June 2004, 15:30
OKay, to answer Firestormer, firstly:

Forks are complete, everything except tripleclamps, brake calipers and front wheel. Just bolt on and smile :)

I will definitely be asking for a warranty on secondhand forks if I get them.

The CDFO is leaning towards the 2nd hand ones... particularly with the other stuff I have to get too.

As to the bike's top speed, I am estimating it as I have a 180km/hr speedo.

Jim2 can personally vouch for it doing at least 180, as I went past him one time with no brakes doing that :(

It does 100km/hr at 4250rpm (indicated). I have seen 10500 rpm on the bike. You do the math. This is obviously indicated speed and just after I tuned it, put in new plugs and hiflow air filter. Head was most definitely on the tank and it was not a windy day. I was going slightly downhill at the time and had about 2kms to build up to that speed, so all factors were optimum.

Yamaha claimed 155mph out of them new.

riffer
21st June 2004, 15:33
Smythe & Yeates in Cambridge are very good at that sort of work. If anyone can do it they can and if your stanchions can't be safely repaired they'll tell you. Problem is you've got to send your stuff to Cambridge for them to have a look. They straighten sliders, brake rotors,frames as well and they do a great job repairing cast wheels (and they are not paying me for saying so)
Thanks Kerry. I've had Damon at Cycleworks look at them and also talked to Steve at F1 engineering and sent him pictures.

Both reckon they are marginal. Could be straightened but neither will give a guarantee on the chrome not cracking as there are creases in the fork tubes and one has a buckle in front of the crease. It's my opinion from how easily they bent that the forks have probably been straightened once before.

Hence my reticence to attempt to straighten them again. However I will keep them as parts.

DEATH_INC.
21st June 2004, 15:45
I've dealt with victoria wreckers before,no problems.I'd go for the s/h setup too.

riffer
21st June 2004, 15:46
I've dealt with victoria wreckers before,no problems.I'd go for the s/h setup too.
Thanks Death_inc. That's the sort of comment that will swing it.

riffer
21st June 2004, 15:48
Who the hell reckons I should buy the Yamaha parts? :gob:

svs
21st June 2004, 16:01
get the second hands forks (if you trust the dealer - and from what I've read here, I see no reason not to). Who knows what else inside your current forks are a bit bent and replacing the chromes only won't help that.

Then you'll also have a few spares for next time :whistle: ...

wkid_one
21st June 2004, 16:31
Okay, here's my dilemma:

I can:

make sure of the returns policy if they aren't what you expect. or get someone to have a look at them

The option I would go for!

Hell NO!

I don't even think KK would do that!

FROSTY
21st June 2004, 16:44
me Id go another way --see if a local wrecker/importer can bring me in a set direct frtom japan.

wkid_one
21st June 2004, 16:52
Me - I would quit road riding and try and hunt down a track weapon instead!!

riffer
21st June 2004, 19:39
me Id go another way --see if a local wrecker/importer can bring me in a set direct frtom japan.

Yeah, I've tried that one too Frosty. Talked with the guy from emoto, he said the problem with doing that is:

a) most of the time you can pick up parts by the palletload ie 3 dozen sets of forks for a CBR250RR; or

b) the japs tend to ask really high prices for one-offs.

He actually recommended Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers for me as the most cost-effective option.

Gixxer 4 ever
21st June 2004, 22:34
Price the Aussi ones properly. Ie what will they cost in NZ $$ Then add on freight etc.
Then look at the Tarozzi OEM replacement fork chromes. $786.00? This looks good to me. Do some home work and see what best works for you. Remember second hand is how I voted but after thinking about it new, for this money, is a good option. Remember it is stone chips that will kill forks as well as other things. The chips allow the rust to start in the base metal and damage the seals. So new has to be a good option if it is only $50-100 more. Good luck.

Milky
21st June 2004, 22:49
good point... sum up all the possible costs in each case and then inform us :2thumbsup that way it might be easier to decide, especially if the Tarozzi ones are already in the country... that will make them a bit more economic :)

riffer
22nd June 2004, 07:11
good point... sum up all the possible costs in each case and then inform us :2thumbsup that way it might be easier to decide, especially if the Tarozzi ones are already in the country... that will make them a bit more economic :)
Prices quoted are all converted to NZ dollars, including postage from Australia for all except the new Yamaha items. Haven't dared ask postage of those ex-Japan.