PDA

View Full Version : Any adventure riders planning on doing the Chatto Creek 1000 miler?

Ruralman
12th September 2006, 08:35
The Chatto Creek 1000 miler is on Dec 2nd. I was wondering whether there were any other adventure bike riders contemplating riding it. I am going to try to do it this year but I'd rather ride it with another rider or two travelling at similar speeds. I'll put the hard word on a couple of mates down here as well but not too optimistic they'll do this event.
There are a few places we can stay in Alexandra on the Friday night and after the event which won't cost anything. Anyone interested?

PLUG
13th September 2006, 08:03
Did it last year ... my arse still remembers ... 8-12 hours was the worst, after that it went numb.

Good luck.

far queue
13th September 2006, 09:01
Did it last year ... my arse still remembers ... 8-12 hours was the worst, after that it went numb.

Good luck.Which is why I wouldn't even contemplate doing it, not the way my seat is.

warewolf
13th September 2006, 09:12
Which is why I wouldn't even contemplate doing it, not the way my seat is.Grab a sheepskin, it's all the extra you'd need. Did the Rusty Nuts Grand Challenge last year on the KTM 640 Adventure. Added a sheepskin but that was all.

The best suggestion I can offer is to move about on the seat before you get sore. I've learnt on the adventure to shift my butt a centimetre or so every 10-15 minutes. This also subtly changes the angle of all your joints. It's not like my Triumph Trophy where I can sit in the one place for the entire event.

I don't have the sheepskin for the Adventure anymore and don't seem to miss it. Did the Brass without it and couldn't pick the difference. Maybe my arse is getting hard?! :gob:

At this stage I'm committed to the Grand Challenge and unlikely to get to the Chatto Creek as well.

Jantar
13th September 2006, 09:14
Yes. I'll be doing it. Last year there were two dual purpose bikes under 250 cc that completed it well within the time allowed. A DR250 and a DT175.

So come on Plug, and far queue, its only a weekend ride. :ride: :ride:

PLUG
13th September 2006, 10:30
Talking to a few guy after the event, who had done a few of these & complaining about me numb bum. They said scoff a couple of pain killers at the start & at gas stops.

Am heading to the Burt Munro which is the week before the CC thou ... so thanks for your words of incouragement Janter ... but not this year.

warewolf
13th September 2006, 17:43
Yes it's getting to be quite busy on the rally/event calendar at that time of year. Probably a good thing, but a shame that events conflict. Was talking to a chap from TTAG (http://www.ttag.org.nz/index.html) on the ferry on Sunday night. They run a rally about then, too.

Ruralman
13th September 2006, 22:02
Yes it's getting to be quite busy on the rally/event calendar at that time of year. Probably a good thing, but a shame that events conflict. Was talking to a chap from TTAG (http://www.ttag.org.nz/index.html) on the ferry on Sunday night. They run a rally about then, too.

Might have been referrong to the Long Drop Rally at Duntroon which is 1-3 DEc organised by the Whitstone Motorcycle Touring Club

Ruralman
13th September 2006, 22:03
Grab a sheepskin, it's all the extra you'd need. Did the Rusty Nuts Grand Challenge last year on the KTM 640 Adventure. Added a sheepskin but that was all.

The best suggestion I can offer is to move about on the seat before you get sore. I've learnt on the adventure to shift my butt a centimetre or so every 10-15 minutes. This also subtly changes the angle of all your joints. It's not like my Triumph Trophy where I can sit in the one place for the entire event.

I don't have the sheepskin for the Adventure anymore and don't seem to miss it. Did the Brass without it and couldn't pick the difference. Maybe my arse is getting hard?! :gob:

At this stage I'm committed to the Grand Challenge and unlikely to get to the Chatto Creek as well.

Do you guys get a special sheep skin from a bike shop or somewhere or just whack a bit off an old one?

warewolf
13th September 2006, 22:46
Do you guys get a special sheep skin from a bike shop or somewhere or just whack a bit off an old one?The one I used on the 640 was a "universal" bike-specific one blagged off a mate. It gets around, it's done duty on his Triumph Bonneville, too. Back when I was a student and had me Mum to help with the sewing machine, I cut up an old car seat cover to make a rider-only custom-fitted job for my CBX250. Whatever works, but a close fit is better.

The Triumph has a specific fit from Sheepy Hollow (http://www.sheepyhollow.com/). On it I've also added a couple of layers of high-density bed-roll foam between the seat and the cover. This 1995 bike's seat is still like new after x years and 160-odd thousand kays, but the sheepskin is worn out. The 1994 Trophy's seat was used bare and it was rooted after 18 months/75,000km; my inner thighs were sitting against the plastic seat pan and on big bumps my butt would hit the frame rails, or so it felt. Actually it was rooted somewhere in the 50,000 kays area IIRC.

Quite a few places in Aus make them, Good Wool Store (http://goodwool.com.au/index.html) is easily found but I'm sure there are more.

far queue
13th September 2006, 23:12
Grab a sheepskin, it's all the extra you'd need. Did the Rusty Nuts Grand Challenge last year on the KTM 640 Adventure. Added a sheepskin but that was all.

I use a sheepskin on the rides to the rallys, and padded cycling shorts on the longer rally rides which works fine for me, but I know I would still get a sore arse on a 1600km ride :ride: :moon: Sorry, it just doesn't appeal to me.

Might have been referrong to the Long Drop Rally at Duntroon which is 1-3 DEc organised by the Whitstone Motorcycle Touring ClubThe TTAG rally is the Magpie Madness at Winchester on 25/11 - I'll be there.

Do you guys get a special sheep skin from a bike shop or somewhere or just whack a bit off an old one?I use a full sheepskin. Chuck it on the seat for a comfy bum, and when I get to the rally, chuck it under the sleeping bag for warmth, or roll it up for a pillow.

Transalper
13th September 2006, 23:16
TTAG do the Magpie Madness Rally in Winchester, on the same weekend as the Burt Munroe thing....24 - 26th Nov 2006.

bugger, thats Tabbed browsing for you. Open several tabs from the forum and by the time you finish reading and make a post, someone like FQ gets in ahead of you

XP@
14th September 2006, 09:32
Doing the RNGC :-) for the 4th time this year!

How is the route worked out for the CC1000?
and what sort of roads do you get to ride (eg unmarked single track goat roads at 4am)?

far queue
14th September 2006, 09:42
So come on Plug, and far queue, its only a weekend ride. :ride: :ride:I was curious about the cost, so I just ran some numbers on this – it’s 1600km ride plus 950km return trip for me to get there and back = 2550km. That’s $242 in fuel. Plus 2550km off a set of tyres that will last me 6000km in total = $95 tyre wear. So that’s $337 running costs plus whatever the entry fee is.

For the Nelson rally on 04/11/06, the trip there, a day ride, and the trip back will total around 960km. The same thing for Winchester will total up to around 400km. So, say about 3 rallies to cost of the Chatto Creek ride for me, and I’ll still be able to walk after the rallies.

I’m sure you guys will enjoy it, but it’s not for me.

warewolf
14th September 2006, 09:50
Sorry, it just doesn't appeal to me.It's less the ride and more the camaraderie. I'm in tune with the whole Rusty Nuts philosphy: I'd rather ride than hang around at a fixed rally site. The journey not the destination, as they say.

My wife couldn't work out why I keep going back, until she came down to Turangi for the weekend. (The GC was the first stop on our way south for a South Is. tour). She was kinda blown away by the whole thing, got stuck in helping, and had a great weekend. Even when I couldn't ride due to knee surgery, we were there to soak up the atmosphere and help out.

warewolf
14th September 2006, 09:58
I was curious about the cost, so I just ran some numbers on this – it’s 1600km ride plus 950km return trip for meThat's part of the problem of the Chatto Creek for me; it's a 3400km weekend! I'd prefer to take at least a day's leave to do it, this year the calendar's too busy.

To get to the Grand Challenge it is something like 900km return plus the return ferry crossing, say $180-280 on top. Entry fee is comparatively trivial as it is mostly passing on food & accommodation costs which you'd have to buy regardless.

Whatever you do, don't do the numbers on the Southern Cross!!!

far queue
14th September 2006, 11:05
It's less the ride and more the comraderie.I find it’s the ride AND the camaraderie.
I'm in tune with the whole Rusty Nuts philosphy: I'd rather ride than hang around at a fixed rally site.Yes - if you’re going to just hang around at the rally.
The journey not the destination, as they say.In general yes, but you can have both.

The way rally’s generally go for me are – head there via a relatively quick route after work on the Friday (maybe take Fri PM off if it’s some distance to travel), catch up and hit the bottle with mates that I haven’t seen since the last rally, generally a good night of talking shit is had. A bit of a cruisy start to the day on Saturday, then head of on a day ride exploring the local backblocks with whatever other adventurers are there. Back to the rally site sometime mid to late afternoon, catch up with other mates that have arrived that day, check out the bike show and the other entertainments that are laid on, and have a quiet night as far as drinking goes. Up bright and fresh on Sunday morning and head home the long way taking in as many dirt roads as possible.

So a rally weekend for me is about the ride, the destination, the camaraderie with mates and with the biking community in general. I really enjoy the atmosphere, the sights, the sounds, and the feelings of being around bikes and bikers that you only get at rallies. And since getting off the road bike and onto the dirt bike, I’m loving the adventure riding and seeing new bits of the country that comes with it as well.

Will you be at the Nelson Rally on 3,4,5/11?

warewolf
14th September 2006, 12:46
I find it’s the ride AND the camaraderie.Sounds like a good way to do it.

Will you be at the Nelson Rally on 3,4,5/11?Hadn't really thought about it. If I'm in town that weekend then I'll probably go out for a look-see, catch up with some folks. Some non-mc friends were asking about it, I might take them along.

PLUG
14th September 2006, 20:15
Do you guys get a special sheep skin from a bike shop or somewhere or just whack a bit off an old one?

Hay Ruralman ... ain't you a farmer ? ... kill a sheep ... dag it first ... the oil in it's skin might be good for the butt blues ... let us know.

Ruralman
14th September 2006, 21:35
Hay Ruralman ... ain't you a farmer ? ... kill a sheep ... dag it first ... the oil in it's skin might be good for the butt blues ... let us know.

Hey - don't you know what these things are worth nowadays!!!!!!
I think I'll end up going to one of the local skin tanneries or skin sellers and getting a small second - that way at least the leather has been treated.

You're right I am a farmer - at the moment any sheep that die are getting chucked in a pig trap - having problems with wild pigs but the bastards only come back every now and then. Pig hunters tend to get the odd one and scatter the rest. Hopefully the trap will catch a bunch at once.

PLUG
14th September 2006, 21:46
... luv wild pork ...

far queue
14th September 2006, 21:47
... having problems with wild pigs ... Pig hunters tend to get the odd one and scatter the rest.No wonder they're bloody wild then, I dare say I'd be a bit upset with someone taking potshots at me too :doobey:

Ruralman
14th September 2006, 22:26
when they do this to your paddocks all I want is elimination

PLUG
14th September 2006, 22:32
... there has been a fair bit of rootin going on there ...

Jantar
14th September 2006, 23:05
Whatever you do, don't do the numbers on the Southern Cross!!!
Hehehe... I already have. And I have my leave booked for the 2007 SC.

Last one came in at just under $2000, this one will be a bit over that. The 1000 miler is merely a practice run. :scooter:

Ruralman
21st September 2006, 21:37
an update on this seat thing - on my floor at the moment I have a bit of sheepskin I bought at windward skins in Balclutha today and after ideas off the other post I put up I have glued 2 layers of bubble wrap to the underside of it!
Hopefully by morning the glue will have set and I can try it out. I have trimmed the thing up so its about the right shape with a litlle piece riding up the tank just far enough to make it easy to get a bungy cord around it.
It would be reasonably easy to stitch some elastic to the sides with hooks to hold it on but I'll see how this goes first - if successful I'll posta couple of photos.

Jantar
21st September 2006, 22:05
an update on this seat thing - on my floor at the moment I have a bit of sheepskin I bought at windward skins in Balclutha today and after ideas off the other post I put up I have glued 2 layers of bubble wrap to the underside of it!
Hopefully by morning the glue will have set and I can try it out. I have trimmed the thing up so its about the right shape with a litlle piece riding up the tank just far enough to make it easy to get a bungy cord around it.
It would be reasonably easy to stitch some elastic to the sides with hooks to hold it on but I'll see how this goes first - if successful I'll posta couple of photos.

I would suggest a piece of high impact foam under the sheep skin rather than bubble wrap.

warewolf
21st September 2006, 22:29
I have glued 2 layers of bubble wrap to the underside of it!Kinky!

How many bumps before all the bubbles are popped?

Transalper
22nd September 2006, 08:14
How many bumps before all the bubbles are popped?:lol: that's exactly what i was thinking

Ruralman
22nd September 2006, 13:08
Kinky!

How many bumps before all the bubbles are popped?

I'll put it on for the ride to the Pissed Penguin tommorrow and se how many are still intact when I get home.

FJRider
27th September 2007, 04:45
Long distance riding on hard seats,results in sore bum at or about 300-400 km mark.With numbness setting in about 600-800 km mark.No feeling about 1000 km.Thus then ceases to be a problem.40 plus riders on the Chatto Creek 1000 miler as opposed to 120 on the GC. After the CC 1000 miler,if you dont know everyone on the run,you could be accused of being unsociable.The route gets changed EVERY year over SEALED (secret) south island,often little travelled,roads.ANY road in the south at 4am often FEELS like a goat track.No matter where you live in the south island,at some stage, the CC 1000 miler will pass or come close to your back door.Speed is not essential,I have had a 2 hour sleep and still had an HOUR up my sleeve at the finish.
Some have said "Its a long winding road to heaven", I thought a long winding road WAS heaven. FJ riders of the world Unite.

NighthawkNZ
27th September 2007, 07:55
The TTAG rally is the Magpie Madness at Winchester on 25/11 - I'll be there.

Me 2.

The way rally’s generally go for me are – head there via a relatively quick route after work on the Friday (maybe take Fri PM off if it’s some distance to travel), catch up and hit the bottle with mates that I haven’t seen since the last rally, generally a good night of talking shit is had. A bit of a cruisy start to the day on Saturday, then head of on a day ride exploring the local backblocks with whatever other adventurers are there. Back to the rally site sometime mid to late afternoon, catch up with other mates that have arrived that day, check out the bike show and the other entertainments that are laid on, and have a quiet night as far as drinking goes. Up bright and fresh on Sunday morning and head home the long way taking in as many dirt roads as possible.

So a rally weekend for me is about the ride, the destination, the camaraderie with mates and with the biking community in general. I really enjoy the atmosphere, the sights, the sounds, and the feelings of being around bikes and bikers that you only get at rallies. And since getting off the road bike and onto the dirt bike, I’m loving the adventure riding and seeing new bits of the country that comes with it as well.

I like the rallies for the same reason, the ride to and from and the day ride... as well as the camaraderie of it all... :D

Long distance riding on hard seats,results in sore bum at or about 300-400 km mark.With numbness setting in about 600-800 km mark.No feeling about 1000 km.

Rode from Dunedin to Kiakoura without a sheep skin and was pretty sore. The next time I had the sheep skin and had no problem was comfortable all the way. I have a bit of foam rubber (from para rubber) that I wan to mould that will make all the difference... wouldv'e could have happily rode further :baby:

Last one came in at just under $2000, this one will be a bit over that. The 1000 miler is merely a practice run. :scooter:

Dang see I don't earn enuff to cover that every year.

_Shrek_
27th September 2007, 10:25
The Chatto Creek 1000 miler is on Dec 2nd. I was wondering whether there were any other adventure bike riders contemplating riding it. I am going to try to do it this year but I'd rather ride it with another rider or two travelling at similar speeds. I'll put the hard word on a couple of mates down here as well but not too optimistic they'll do this event.
There are a few places we can stay in Alexandra on the Friday night and after the event which won't cost anything. Anyone interested?

will catch up with you sunday Rm i'm keen to go but might have to sweet talk head office

shafty
27th September 2007, 11:18
will catch up with you sunday Rm i'm keen to go but might have to sweet talk head office

Would a note from the Doctor help get approval?

Dr Shafty QBE:woohoo:

oldrider
27th September 2007, 11:34
... there has been a fair bit of rootin going on there ...

Rumour has it theres alot more going on "now"!!! :lol: Just kidding. :shutup: John.

_Shrek_
27th September 2007, 11:44

might help Shafty i'm realy tuff :baby: when it comes to getting what i want :crybaby:

Ruralman
27th September 2007, 16:01
Rumour has it theres alot more going on "now"!!! :lol: Just kidding. :shutup: John.

Geez - someone resurrects an old thread from last year and the rumour and innuendo takes off immediately:spanking:

RedKLR650
28th September 2007, 09:01
Hehehe... I already have. And I have my leave booked for the 2007 SC.

Don't you mean leave booked in for the 2009 SC ?

And those fgures seem a bit high. Allowing for fuel, tire wear, ferries, accommodation and food/drink, I costed it out at around $1000 for me in this years event ( Maybe I didn't have quite so many beers Malcolm :wacko: )

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

RedKLR650
28th September 2007, 09:04

You thinking of coming down for the Chatto Creek 1000 miler then Shafty ?

Stu

RedKLR650
28th September 2007, 09:18

Hi Bruce,

I've got someone interested in a wedding that weekend but I think they are just a tire kicker, but I can't write them off just yet as weddings are still worth a few bob to me, so will let you know as soon as I've heard back from them

Definately keen as have wanted to do this one for a while but wanted to get the Southern Cross under my belt first

Cheers, Stu

Jantar
29th September 2007, 10:00
Don't you mean leave booked in for the 2009 SC ?

And those fgures seem a bit high. Allowing for fuel, tire wear, ferries, accommodation and food/drink, I costed it out at around $1000 for me in this years event ( Maybe I didn't have quite so many beers Malcolm :wacko: )

Cheers, Stu :scooter:
Check the date of the piost you have quoted.

mbazza
29th September 2007, 16:28
Hi Bruce,
I'm thinking about the CC, have the entry form from Jantar. I need to get a few longer rides in the 3-4 weeks before I make my final decision. A sheep skin sounds like a good idea. Cheers.

FJRider
30th September 2007, 20:25
Instead of sheepskin, (gets wet and rots) I have used a piece of closed cell foam, sleeping mat,afew bucks from the red shed.Reduces the vibes in the bum and soon takes the same shape as your bum.It works and is cheap

warewolf
30th September 2007, 22:23
Instead of sheepskin, (gets wet and rots) I have used a piece of closed cell foam, sleeping matLow-grade sheep in these parts, eh?

See earlier post, my Sheepy Hollow is 12 years 174,000km and counting. It's got one patch worn down to the hide, but there's no rotting.

Zapf
30th September 2007, 22:42
Just for the record I will be doing GC and hopefully CC this year. But I won't put my entry for CC in till after GC.

Ruralman, with your transalp you should be able to cruise at 120kph I assume?

Ruralman
1st October 2007, 10:23
Just for the record I will be doing GC and hopefully CC this year. But I won't put my entry for CC in till after GC.

Ruralman, with your transalp you should be able to cruise at 120kph I assume?

Can it cruise at 120? - it has been known to, and unfortunately i have a few demerits which bear testimony to that!!! Have a detector to help now but still a bit cautious as I don't need any more demerits and as we all know the detectors don't save you all the time either. The T/A is certainly capable and happy to cruise at 120-130 all day (and all night and has a pretty good headlight for this as well).

Zapf
1st October 2007, 18:11
Can it cruise at 120? - it has been known to, and unfortunately i have a few demerits which bear testimony to that!!! Have a detector to help now but still a bit cautious as I don't need any more demerits and as we all know the detectors don't save you all the time either. The T/A is certainly capable and happy to cruise at 120-130 all day (and all night and has a pretty good headlight for this as well).

interesting.... I have cruised at 120kph indicated (around 110kph according to the GPS) and got away with it for the last 2 years

RedKLR650
3rd October 2007, 20:17
Check the date of the post you have quoted.

Oops, Sorry Jantar......

Correct, hadn't read the date :-(

May see you on the next SC :sunny:

Sorry, Stu