PDA

View Full Version : New pipes for SRV250?

Tumbles
12th September 2006, 22:01
I'm in the process of rebuilding my SRV250 and I'm going to fully replace the pipes on it. Does anyone know of a place in Palmerston North where I could get pipes bent to spec? Also I'm after some feedback on muffler options. At this stage thinkin about something like this:

buzz1954
5th June 2007, 21:45
I have an SRV and am not far away from Ohakea. Have done lots of work on it so if you have any questions re tech stuff let me know.

Do you have the original exhaust and or mufflers???

I am looking for a RHS muffler, it can be cut off the balance pipe then welded back.

Can you help.

Babelfish
5th June 2007, 21:57
I had an SRV, and one of the best bits was the standard pipes...Personally I'd go something similar but stick the origial style twisty pipes and maybe a stubby trumpet with fark all baffle

Tumbles
6th June 2007, 13:27
Gidday Buzz and Temp, I posted that post in September last year, but sure enough I'm still work on it! I'm currently in East Timor and won't be back till late July however the plan is to go nuts on this thing once I'm back.

I still have the original exhaust and mufflers and they are confusing as hell to me! There appears to be a cross-feed pipe between the two exhausts, which I would have thought would negate the need for even length pipes. However, the LHS pipe which comes off the front cyclinder has some pretty gnarly bends in it who's purpose I can only assume to be to keep the pipe lengths even. Either way, I'm sure that the engine in this things can breathe a hell of a lot better than it does factory spec. Hence a K&N pod filter, new exhaust and some rather in depth carb tuning! However that will be coming after the engine rebuild / re-chrome / paint job / frame and electrics rebuild.

Sounds like a lot of work for a cheap bike, but Its a blast to ride on, and they look mint.

I could have a spare pipe for you eventually, but we are talking around September till I could get it to you.

Babelfish
6th June 2007, 20:39
Excellent effort. They are a mint looking bike, I miss mine, but the extra 750cc the vtr gives me helps the pain.

I dare say a pipe change would aid breathing, but on a 250 four stroke its not like you're going to get grey outs from the pull with any change. I reckon stick to aesthetics and handling mate, cause the stock pipes look mint as, spesh on the curly side. Now the cans could be another story, stubby ones like this would be nice:

http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/rs/showProduct.cgi?prodID=8428

acm50
22nd October 2007, 20:53
Hi' I've just bought a mint SRv250 back here in the UK but can't get hold of a handbook for love nor' money!!

can you help please?

Andrew M.

Tumbles
24th October 2007, 12:24
Gidday mate, I also could not for the life of me find a service manual for my bike. The best I can say is do a web search for an XV 250 Virago service manual. The engine is (pretty much) exactly the same. This is what I have been using for my bike, but have had to take it in to my local Yamaha dealer to get the gearing checked because if anything is going to be different between them, it would be the gearing.