PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car.

car
13th September 2006, 01:11
I'll be stepping off the plane in Auckland in mid-October, and I'm going to need something to ferry the clan about in. I'm hoping to pick up a decent car in order to take a grand tour of NZ before making a decision on where to put down roots.

I'm staying, so renting a car seems like a waste of what cash I'll have -- what I save gets spent on the bike, a good cause I'm sure you'll agree.

Any advice, pros and cons, much appreciated. We'd be looking for a family car -- station-wagon, minivan kind of thing. Something that'll tow a bike trailer.

;)

I've been looking at trademe.co.nz and thecaryard.co.nz. Anything else?

TIA,

Chris.

scumdog
13th September 2006, 01:16
Buy a post 1996 Toyota station wagon or van (vans are more risky due to their working life) and you'll be o.k.
As per UK, if in Wellington or Auckland area you would be advised to check for rust due to salt (but here it's from the sea air)

car
13th September 2006, 01:20
Buy a post 1996 Toyota station wagon or van (vans are more risky due to their working life) and you'll be o.k.
As per UK, if in Wellington or Auckland area you would be advised to check for rust due to salt (but here it's from the sea air)

Cheers, pal. Much appreciated. Any tips on good (or bad, probably more useful) dealers or franchises?

All things being equal, I'd probably have gone for a diesel, too, and just kept it, maintained it and run the thing until it wouldn't run no more. But I hear tell of some supplementary road tax on diesels. How does that add up? Just about level the playing field on fuel costs or does it make petrol a much safer bet?

Thanks.

scumdog
13th September 2006, 01:28
Diesel fuel is way cheaper here - but you have to pay X amount per kilometre road tax for diesels which eats into your dollar-per-kilometre economy.

If you keep the vehicle it will pay off, but even if you don't it does not add too much to the running costs.

As far as 'where to buy' goes, well it's like asking a Geordie how much it costs a Cockney it costs to run his car. If you started off in the South Island I could help you but I doubt you would be starting off here, especially in the far south...but what is your top-whack for price you're prepared to pay (In NZ dollars)?

inlinefour
13th September 2006, 01:42
Had a hilux surf deisel turbo, they are a dime a dozen over here and alot of them get a hard life. Pity I did not hold on to the thing as I had reciently spent more on it than what I got for a trade in. Deisel fuel IMO is a cheaper option, but be aware of the service requirements of them as they need it more often than their petrol counterpart. I now hav a modern van, once again a deisel toyota. This time I went for new as I wanted something that would last. I looked at 2nd hand vans, but what I saw scared me away. 300k+ km was nothing unusual. However when I got rid of my surf it had done 225k+, but had a rebuilt engine and turbo amongst other upgrades due to the "modern" deisel used in NZ now. If you go for something like this make sure you get something with a written service history. I was "told" by the salesperson and the shitter of a car sales yard that the surf had had alot of work done. As time went by, I found that they was not partically honest about it and the surf cost me more and more. Don't let yourself fall into that trap, sounds like you've had them over where you are allready and if so you might know more about these things than me. I don't have ankle biters in tow to carry, so the van in empty for transporting more important cargo :scooter: However Ive seen a few with seats and they also look pretty snazzy. If your sticking around, I recommend that you spend a bit more, if you can. Get something newer and more reliable. In the long run, I expect it to be cheaper. :done:

car
13th September 2006, 01:49
As far as 'where to buy' goes, well it's like asking a Geordie how much it costs a Cockney it costs to run his car. If you started off in the South Island I could help you but I doubt you would be starting off here, especially in the far south...but what is your top-whack for price you're prepared to pay (In NZ dollars)?

Heh, I'll be heading down your way eventually, but my tickets are already booked for AKL, so it makes sense to start there. In retrospect, I should have flown via SFO, not LAX, and maybe Christchurch would have been the smarter destination. But, hell, I get to see more of NZ this way -- mustn't whinge.

I was hoping to pick up something tidy but not earth-shattering in the $10k region. After that I start eating into my bike fund, and we don't want that.

Realistic?

car
13th September 2006, 01:56
If your sticking around, I recommend that you spend a bit more, if you can. Get something newer and more reliable. In the long run, I expect it to be cheaper. :done:

I do see the sense it that, yeah. I don't mind working on my own, but I've no experience with turbos and my diesel experience is limited to simple stuff like swapping out glowplugs, fluid and filter changes. Also, I've not shipped anything but the bare essential tools, so getting something sound is the plan.

Motu
13th September 2006, 07:52
Cars are a disposable item in NZ now,literaly.It's pointless to buy something and look after it,money down the drain - they just run them into the ground and walk away.Diesels are cheaper in the medium run - you have to put the kms in to make them pay....but run them too long and you pay big time for repairs,knowing when to step out is the skill.My diesel Nissan van gets 40 mpg,no petrol van can getting anywhere near that figure,let alone a petrol car.

McJim
13th September 2006, 08:06
I'm selling 2 cars - may be gone by mid Oct though unless you make me an offer!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Honda/auction-69124492.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/auction-69120835.htm

Depends how big your clan is - the Odyssey is a good vehicle for distance coz it's really comfortable for 5 people and acceptable for 7. Leather Seats make you feel you're still sitting in business class on the plane!

Being a Scotsman I don't run my vehicles into the ground - I do look after them.

sels1
13th September 2006, 08:16
www.turners.co.nz

Turners car auctions, one of the cheapest places to buy cars. But being an auction there is a certain amount of buyer beware. However you can have AA checks done, and bid over the phone. On their website they also give an price range of what they think a vechice will go for which is a useful guide to prices generally

kiwifruit
13th September 2006, 08:26
$10k region

Realistic?

very!
you wont have any problem getting a good car for 10k

car
13th September 2006, 08:32
very!
you wont have any problem getting a good car for 10k

Then I shall spend less on the car and buy two bikes. The missus is talking about doing her test anyway.

;)

kiwifruit
13th September 2006, 08:57
Yes!! :D

JeremyW
13th September 2006, 09:08
Toyota is the way to go, especially if you are concerned about petrol. Something like this: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=68730275&key=36155 are very popular here.
They are great for travelling and big enough. They are also much more confortable to drive and ride in than a van or minibus (although some would disagree!)

JeremyW
13th September 2006, 09:24
Here are a few more I would consider:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=50312150&key=37219
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=64305836&key=37219
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=60185840&key=38538
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=36008398&key=41378

Happy hunting :)

Crisis management
13th September 2006, 10:12
My pick would be something reasonably cheap so that, if the worst happens, you can walk away from it, ie if you decide to leave NZ and have to sell in a hurry...
There are heaps of good cars for under $5k, stick to sedans rather than station wagons as long as they give you enough seats and luggage capacity as there are more sedans available than station wagons.
I would keep clear of four wheel drives as there is no where in NZ you can't get with a car and they are expensive to run.
Finally..Toyota... don't buy anything else.

Mind you I could be completely wrong about all of this!

KLOWN
13th September 2006, 11:00
what ever you do get a prepurchase inspection done, I believe they usually cost about $100 most people use the AA inspection but I hate the AA. There are plenty of alternative checkers. I was looking at getting a desiel before I bought my station wagon and the mechanic I talked to said don't even consider getting a desiel earlier than 95 and it really shoud be a 2000+ model. As for price im not too sure, But I got my 95 nissan sentra station wagon for $2000 and it is ment to be one of the most reliable cars out there next to the toyota corolla but it is a 1600cc so not to good for towing thigs. I think you'll find that cars are very cheap here compared to uk and our insurance is not compulsry but it is a good idea to get third party at the least. Also i've been told not to waste money on turbo desiel cars/trucks/4X4 cause they will end up costing you alot when it goes wrong. If you are lucky you might find a car running lpg which is very cheap and nice clean burning so usually less engine wear. happy hunting

kickingzebra
13th September 2006, 12:02
I can't imagine you having any drama.
I just bought a 95 nissan terrano for $2500. It had 205000 kms on it, but good service records, and at that price, if the problem with it is more than is economical to fix, it isn't as if I lose a lot. Towbar etc, and a good 2 ton tow rating.
Diesel is currently $1.18 at the pump, and road user charges add $32.00?? per thousand kms. You have to pre pay them though, so you buy 5 or 10 thousand kms at a go.

Diesels do certainly cost more to fix if they go wrong.

The one problem with buying a toyota is that every other muppet under the sun wants them too, so old clapped out heaps of shit still sell for stupid prices. the competition for my terrano included 1988 turbo surfs still selling for $5000(notoriously weak where the turbo manifold joins onto the head, expect an (expensive) rebuild.
The 2.8 and 3.0 litre naturally aspirated are mint engines that will run damn near forever, the 3.0 turbo in the newer vehicles is bloody good as well.

Luck of the draw on the day, but keep an eye on trademe etc, as then you have a rough idea of what sells, and what it sells for.
Dealers are usually more expensive, but then you have recourse if something goes wrong with the vehicle.

Hope that helps.

Edbear
13th September 2006, 18:47
I was hoping to pick up something tidy but not earth-shattering in the $10k region. After that I start eating into my bike fund, and we don't want that.

Realistic?

Yup! That gives a lot of choice. I picked this up off TradeMe for $5k. TD27 Turbo-intercooled diesel, 7-seater with 137k on the clock. Very tidy and is going to be our cruiser for our SI trip at the end of the year.

Edbear
13th September 2006, 18:51
The missus is talking about doing her test anyway.

Car, bike, pregnancy, IQ...?:innocent:

car
13th September 2006, 19:06
Car, bike, pregnancy, IQ...?:innocent:

She was stupid enough to marry me so an IQ test would be a waste of time, and if she's pregnant again then she's even dafter than I thought!

;)

Edbear
13th September 2006, 19:11
She was stupid enough to marry me so an IQ test would be a waste of time, and if she's pregnant again then she's even dafter than I thought!

;)

:second:

(10 wotsits)

Motu
13th September 2006, 20:02
I just got another car today too - a station waggon,30,000km,one very fussy lady owner,as new inside and out - $800.