PDA

View Full Version : Care of leathers

Blackbird
13th September 2006, 07:50
I have some brand new leathers which are still a bit stiff and I want to give them the best possible care right from the start. On my last set, I used Marinol as a softener/conditioner and also Sno Seal - both seemed ok although I have no experience of alternatives. A friend in the UK swears by Renapur which by the description sounds like Sno Seal but not sure if it's available here.

What do you use and what's your experience? I'm less interested in waterproofing properties than I am in keeping them supple and well-preserved.

Cheers

Geoff

TerminalAddict
13th September 2006, 10:02
I use good old fashioned bee's wax.

I've got a jacket that is now errr (need to count) 18 years old I think, and still looking good
I've used the same stuff on my riding jacket .. but I've only been riding for a year, so I don't know how well it will perform out in the weather

FROSTY
13th September 2006, 10:06
dude do NOT piss around--Talk to Baby B on the site. She rejuvinates old leathers and shes pretty adamant about what ya should and shouldnt do

Blackbird
13th September 2006, 10:11
Thanks for that - will PM her.

Geoff

Jantar
13th September 2006, 10:32
Good on you Geoff. Back to the real motorcyclists material.

There are a number of products that will keep leather supple and waterproof, but the main thing is to use products that won't affect the stitching. I use a bees wax based product called Effax, but there is also another leather balsam made by Carr & Day & Martin that is very similar. You can get these from most equestrian suppliers (Try the Toko0roa Vets). Bike shops seem to keep mostly chemical based products which do help with waterproofing, but wont keep the leather as supple.

An occassional wash with saddle soap will keep the leather clean, but use plenty of wax afterwards. Perhaps the most important point is that when the leather does get wet that you allow it dry slowly.

slimyxylofone
13th September 2006, 10:51
Please post Baby B's reply here if she doesn't mind - would really like to hear what she has to say.

Blackbird
13th September 2006, 11:29
Good on you Geoff. Back to the real motorcyclists material.

There are a number of products that will keep leather supple and waterproof, but the main thing is to use products that won't affect the stitching. I use a bees wax based product called Effax, but there is also another leather balsam made by Carr & Day & Martin that is very similar. You can get these from most equestrian suppliers (Try the Toko0roa Vets). Bike shops seem to keep mostly chemical based products which do help with waterproofing, but wont keep the leather as supple.

An occassional wash with saddle soap will keep the leather clean, but use plenty of wax afterwards. Perhaps the most important point is that when the leather does get wet that you allow it dry slowly.

Thanks for that Malcolm - will check the vets and equestrian shops in the area when I've heard from Baby B (will post response Slimy x). I wonder whether your congrats in getting back into "real motorcyclists gear" will still hold good when I tell you that they are black and silver, complete with body armour and sliders. Perhaps not the thing to tell a man from Speights Country:shutup:

Beemer
13th September 2006, 13:50
My husband uses something called Elephant Seal (oo er, sounds rather rude, wonder if penguins use it to repair blown seals?) on his leathers. I always used dubbin - got it from saddlery supplies places. You don't want anything too greasy as it will attract dirt and that isn't good for leathers.