PDA

View Full Version : New Toys! (Geek thread!)

Lias
13th September 2006, 14:40
Just upgraded my PC for the first time in ages.. I used to be a hardcore gamer and constantly upgrading but once I stopped getting parts at wholesale my upgrade cycle pretty much stopped.

Just blew a chunk of cash upgrading my PC so I can play games again.. wheee!

AMD 3800+ Dual Core AM2 CPU
Asus Motherboard
1gb DDR2
Geforce 7600 GT 256mb
300gb SATA2 HDD

I also got a new pen drive, my old one was 16mb, got a 1gb now.. Slight increase in capacity LOL.

Happy happy happy, joy joy joy..

Sniper
13th September 2006, 14:44
Nice work man

Wasp
13th September 2006, 14:50
Im about to order my new comp too, sorry but yours sucks :bleh:

Intel 775 Core2Duo 6400
Gigabyte ga-965p-dq6 mainboard
2gb ddr2-800 corsair performance ram
Nvidia Geforce 7900gt (with dx10 looming i didnt want to go any better)
250gb SATA2 HDD (will buy a larger storage drive later)

Will also be buying new accessories like a 19" lcd (one thats ok for games), a gigabit switch to upgrade the home lan, probably buy a decent gaming mouse or possibly a wireless one (or both).

The 1.6ghz dell will become a server for projects such as vpn, remote desktop, game servers etc etc etc, laptop (current comp) will be retired to being the server for the new tv and sound system (yet to buy) and cough downloading cough.

theres goes the budget for my new bike......

Buster
13th September 2006, 14:51
Good stuff. I got the same processor but went for the 7900gt. It overclocks nicely. Oh and strapped water cooling into the mix too.

Maha
13th September 2006, 14:54
But that stripped toothpaste beats all dont it?.....:confused:

Swoop
13th September 2006, 14:59
But that stripped toothpaste beats all dont it?.....:confused:
Psssst...... WTF are they ^ on about?

Flyingpony
13th September 2006, 15:06
A company was throwing away some computer boxes so I scored myself a nice free upgrade to bring me from the dark ages into well, something more lighter than pitch black.

Intel board/chip PIII 450mhz and a bundle of ram. All other components were recycled from old box or from my bits & pieces pile.
Very happy with this new PC.

Hmm, what to do with the old box? Is there a place that can recycle it for free?

The Pastor
13th September 2006, 15:15
Im about to order my new comp too, sorry but yours sucks :bleh:

Intel 775 Core2Duo 6400
Gigabyte ga-965p-dq6 mainboard
2gb ddr2-800 corsair performance ram
Nvidia Geforce 7900gt (with dx10 looming i didnt want to go any better)
250gb SATA2 HDD (will buy a larger storage drive later)

Will also be buying new accessories like a 19" lcd (one thats ok for games), a gigabit switch to upgrade the home lan, probably buy a decent gaming mouse or possibly a wireless one (or both).

The 1.6ghz dell will become a server for projects such as vpn, remote desktop, game servers etc etc etc, laptop (current comp) will be retired to being the server for the new tv and sound system (yet to buy) and cough downloading cough.

theres goes the budget for my new bike......

How much was all of that?

Drunken Monkey
13th September 2006, 15:15
Intel board/chip PIII 450mhz and a bundle of ram....
...Very happy with this new PC....

Dude, I've got a handheld with more processing power than that, lol! Just joshing, something like that is perfectly fine for a basic Email/Web browser box.

Hmm, what to do with the old box? Is there a place that can recycle it for free?

Call "The Ark" computer recyclers. I think they're still in Mt Wellington, just off Carbine rd.

SARGE
13th September 2006, 15:24
750GB

OOOOOOO0000000ooooooooooo........ (http://seagate.com/products/enterprise/barracuda_es.html)

Wasp
13th September 2006, 15:24
How much was all of that?
$2,459 would be the public price for just the cpu-ram-mboard-gfx card, fortunately we are allowed to order stuff on the work account :innocent: :yes:

my first design was either a 939/am2 dual core (x2) 4600+ but after reading www.tomshardware.com (espically the comparision charts) i changed my mind.

WRT
13th September 2006, 15:30
Call "The Ark" computer recyclers. I think they're still in Mt Wellington, just off Carbine rd.

LOL - I used to work for them. No longer in Mt Wellington, now in East Tamaki, in Ross Reid Place. Either way, its a long way from Christchurch! Plus I think they now charge to dispose of old PC's, this was being introduced about the time I left the company.

http://www.the-ark.co.nz

bobsmith
13th September 2006, 15:52
hey, that's EXACTLY what I did except for that I got a 320gb HD... these AM2 dual core 3800 overclock nicely even with the stock fan... I have it running at 2.3ghz each on stock fan. Which mobo did you end up with? I got myself a M2N-E but I'm starting to wish I got a SLI mobo for future expenditures.....

Hahaha.... $100 for a 1Gb pen drive at the Ark... don't think so mate, paid like $30 for mine.

Wasp
13th September 2006, 16:48
cough 4gb cough pen cough drive cough $150 cough ermm...
8gb one not priced ;)

Lias
13th September 2006, 16:59
hey, that's EXACTLY what I did except for that I got a 320gb HD... these AM2 dual core 3800 overclock nicely even with the stock fan... I have it running at 2.3ghz each on stock fan. Which mobo did you end up with? I got myself a M2N-E but I'm starting to wish I got a SLI mobo for future expenditures.....

I got an M2V nothing flash but will do me.. My theory is I wont be upgrading to SLI anytime soon, and when i can afford a couple of decent SLI'd cards i can afford the board to go with em lol.

Zed
13th September 2006, 17:06
I went thru a stage or three of upgrading my pc time and time again, havn't done anything to it for about two years now (more $$ into bikes happy happy joy joy) but it still does everything i need and a little more, currently have: intel celeron 2ghz processor, 512mb ram, 40G hdd, 32" lcd screen. I will probably be buying Vista when it is released, so that may force me to upgrade my cpu, memory, and hdd capacity!?

Drunken Monkey
13th September 2006, 17:34
... I will probably be buying Vista when it is released, so that may force me to upgrade my cpu, memory, and hdd capacity!?

Why do it that way? How much will they screw you for Vista, AFAIK MS are dropping discounts for "upgrade", so you'll be looking at $400-500 at least, then whatever to upgrade a 2 y.o. PC.

Just buy a new computer with the OS OEM, you'll save heaps that way. Manufacturers slap on an OEM for around $100 a license, there's no way for consumers to legally buy a copy cheaper (unless there's an Academic OEM).

kro
13th September 2006, 18:37
It's nice to see a 7600GT in there, they are the most under rated card ever made, they can shred any damn game, at under half the price of the "top end" stuff.
Nice rig. The whole introduction of the AM2 processors has really dragged the prices down in a large large way, you can now slam togther a cherry rig like yours, for a lot less money than you think.

I've gotta do this soon too, my old clunker needs a heart transplant.

Zed
13th September 2006, 19:34
Just buy a new computer with the OS OEM, you'll save heaps that way...That's probly the option i'll take Al, i'll more than likely have to change my m/board and video card too if I only upgrade, doh.

MOTOXXX
13th September 2006, 19:51
i think some places do oem xp pro with software assurance. That means when vista comes out you can upgrade for little or nothing.

Swoop
13th September 2006, 21:13
Oh fuck. It get's worse...:shit:
Don't you lot speak bloody english???

Lias
13th September 2006, 21:52
Oh fuck. It get's worse...:shit:
Don't you lot speak bloody english???

Nein sprechen ze englisch.

bobsmith
14th September 2006, 08:16
Uhhhh.... Why would anyone BUY Vista... No need to encourage monopoly... :shifty: