PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gas EC250 - Are they any good?

nigelp
13th September 2006, 20:34
Hi Guys

I am looking at upgrading my bike, and have found a bike on trade me:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=69556520

Anyone know anymore information about these bike?

I have been struggling to find much information about Gas Gas in general let alone this model bike. Anyone have one? Are they any good?

TIA :scooter:

ridetwins
13th September 2006, 20:58
dude these things tear shreds off-road, on road they'd be fun as. i used to have a klx-250 with motard set up and that was fun (nowhere near as much power as an ec250 though), the enduro set up is fun on road as they are really controllable (to the point where drifting becomes second nature!)

My mate has a blacked out EC250 for off road use and they are pretty awesome. A lot of their parts (plastics mainly) are from KTM (correct me if im wrong). sometimes bits are hard to get, but there seem to have been a few imported ones from japan recently so parts are getting better to source. Wiseco do standard piston kits for them. Id get a four stroke if you are wanting urban road use as these 2-strokers are pretty smoky at the best of times and noisy too. But then if i lived near the beach (west coast) or dirt roads etc it'd be great fun.....my DR400 gets blown away in straight line drag with ec250......

Ghost Lemur
13th September 2006, 21:46
Nigel go see Phil and Linton at Dirt Action Services on Saxon St.

They're brilliant, and more to the point deal in GasGas. Hell they might let you take one of there's for a spin.

Ruralman
13th September 2006, 21:57
I've had some time on an EC300 (the latest one), the 250's are a bit wilder (in the nicest way if you can handle peaky 2 stroke power). Gas Gas are Spanish and have a background as builders of trials type bikes - even their enduro machines retain some of this with an ability to pull away from quite low revs due to a heavier flywheel effect.
If you were going to use it mostly of road and occaisonally on road it would be great - as a day to day commuter I wouldn't. The pre mix petrol would be a pain for a start and the seat is an off roaders seat - ie you're expected to spend a fair bit of time standing.
If its anything like the 300 it doesn't smoke much, only a little at start up and until warm, and the recommended oil ratio is lower than my KDX (45-50:1 instead of 32:1). The 300 did about 9.5km/litre for me and I wouldn't expect the 250 to be much better, so if you want a fuel miser this ain't it.
They have excellent suspension, handle and steer brilliantly and will make you look a much better off road rider than you are - the 300 is probably a bit more forgiving

nigelp
13th September 2006, 22:17
I've had some time on an EC300 (the latest one), the 250's are a bit wilder (in the nicest way if you can handle peaky 2 stroke power). Gas Gas are Spanish and have a background as builders of trials type bikes - even their enduro machines retain some of this with an ability to pull away from quite low revs due to a heavier flywheel effect.
If you were going to use it mostly of road and occaisonally on road it would be great - as a day to day commuter I wouldn't. The pre mix petrol would be a pain for a start and the seat is an off roaders seat - ie you're expected to spend a fair bit of time standing.
If its anything like the 300 it doesn't smoke much, only a little at start up and until warm, and the recommended oil ratio is lower than my KDX (45-50:1 instead of 32:1). The 300 did about 9.5km/litre for me and I wouldn't expect the 250 to be much better, so if you want a fuel miser this ain't it.
They have excellent suspension, handle and steer brilliantly and will make you look a much better off road rider than you are - the 300 is probably a bit more forgiving
Thanks for the information. I wont be using it as a daily commuter (got the 3.5ltr diamante for that) just to play round on and have a play toy. Not really fussed on fuel efficiency either as dont do the kms on a bike to worry about it. I can see having to put premix into it as a bit of a drag, but workable....

I am going to bite the bullet and go test ride it this weekend. Could do with a bit of a thrill. Hopefully it will have a similar thrill as my old KR250 road bike! Ah...the smell of a two stroke road boke....not to mention the speed!

nigelp
13th September 2006, 22:19
Nigel go see Phil and Linton at Dirt Action Services on Saxon St.

They're brilliant, and more to the point deal in GasGas. Hell they might let you take one of there's for a spin.

Will drop by this weekend and see what they have there and any info I can get. Didnt realise there was a Gas Gas dealer in Chch!:gob:

Ruralman
13th September 2006, 22:24
Thanks for the information. I wont be using it as a daily commuter (got the 3.5ltr diamante for that) just to play round on and have a play toy. Not really fussed on fuel efficiency either as dont do the kms on a bike to worry about it. I can see having to put premix into it as a bit of a drag, but workable....

I am going to bite the bullet and go test ride it this weekend. Could do with a bit of a thrill. Hopefully it will have a similar thrill as my old KR250 road bike! Ah...the smell of a two stroke road boke....not to mention the speed!

When you hit the power it'll make that KR look likes its going backwards - be prepared, and know that you will find it quickly becomes addictive

Ghost Lemur
14th September 2006, 12:53
Will drop by this weekend and see what they have there and any info I can get. Didnt realise there was a Gas Gas dealer in Chch!:gob:
They're great guys even if it's just for a yarn. Spent 3 hours there the other night as Linton was doing a few tweaks on my CRM. They're definitely my local.

far queue
14th September 2006, 16:01
They're great guys even if it's just for a yarn. Spent 3 hours there the other night as Linton was doing a few tweaks on my CRM. They're definitely my local.Yep, it's easy to end up hanging around for a chat with them. It's a wonder they get any work done sometimes, but I guess they'd tell us to bugger off if they had to.

F5 Dave
14th September 2006, 17:17
I'm not sure Linton knows how to so don't gas (sic) too long or they may not stay in business. Linton is the man for GG suspension tweaking. I get my parts & susp done there & I’m from wgtn.

Never had any problems getting parts, pads & airfilters are CR250 fer instance.

Here are a couple of specific sites.

http://www.gasgasrider.org/

http://www.smackovermotorsports.com/bb/index.php