PDA

View Full Version : Car Gurus? Vehicle Specifications Please

StoneChucker
13th September 2006, 21:11
I just got a run-a-bout car to do the grunt work of my driving, but I'm already having a hard time finding specifications of the vehicle. It's a...

1989 Pontiac Le Mans 2.0i GSE
4dr Hatchback

I've searched the usual sites including Pontiac.com, to no avail. I'm looking for things like:

Spark Plugs Gap Distance
Engine Oil Type & Volume + Oil Filter Specs
Fuel Tank Capacity
Fuel Filter Specs
Air Filter Specs
etc

I found some NZ sites that ask $50 + for manuals, and I'm not 100% sure if they're what I need. Any info appreciated, or a shove in the right direction is just as appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave.

Motu
13th September 2006, 22:15
Try Daewoo :killingme Nothing to do with Pontiac man.

Flyingpony
14th September 2006, 11:06
1989 Pontiac Le Mans 2.0i GSE
There's your problem.

Anyhow:

> Spark Plugs Gap Distance
Like all spark plugs, thickness of hacksaw blade is a good rule of thumb.

> Engine Oil Type & Volume + Oil Filter Specs
Generally will be less than 4l for a 2.0l motor. Pour in 2.5l, have a coffee and then check how high up the dip stick the oil is. Top up as required.
Being a pre 1990 engine, probably something like 20w-50 oil but you can quickly find that out when checking oil packs at Repco, Super cheap, etc. Most oil packs will indicate the year range of car they target.
Try Repco, Super cheap, etc, for oil filter.

> Fuel Tank Capacity
Hmm, being a 2.0l motor, somewhere around 45-50l

> Fuel Filter Specs
Any generic fuel filter from Repco, Super cheap, etc, as long as it'll fit your fuel line, she'll be alright. Fuel lines are fairly standard anyhow.

> Air Filter Specs
Try Repco, Super cheap, etc. Sadly nearly each car model is different.

TerminalAddict
14th September 2006, 12:17
isn't the pontiac le mans a rebadged vauxhall vetra or something?

The_Dover
14th September 2006, 12:22
nah, it's a rebadged mark 2 astra.

bungbung
14th September 2006, 12:46
nah, it's a rebadged mark 2 astra.

Nah, it's a rebadged Opel Kadett.

It has been badged by Vauxhall and Pontiac. (still GM names however)

Then it was sold to Daewoo

Motu
14th September 2006, 12:49
Look at the makers plate under the bonnet by the radiator - Daewoo.

Sure it's got an Opel powertrain,but it's made by Daewoo.

bungbung
14th September 2006, 12:58
I stand corrected. It would appear that the Pontiac badged Kadett E was built by GM Daewoo.

Dave try "Daewoo Cielo"

Patch
14th September 2006, 18:40
Just ring ya local GM dealer - once they stop laffin' at ya, they should be of help :done:

Timber020
14th September 2006, 21:00
The pontiac lemans was one of the first truly internationally sourced cars, I think over 14 countries including the uk, us, korea, malaysia etc were involved with its production.

My advice, dont crash it, even against a rusty mid eighty prelude they come off a distant second.

StoneChucker
23rd September 2006, 02:59
Thanks for the replies. I decided to take the easy route THIS time, so I'll remember any info on here for the future. I was at Super Cheap Auto the other day, and it is FAR superior to Repco in terms of stock range and availability. They have books with all the info you may need on oil, plugs and filters, etc as well as being super cheap (funny that!).

The Pontiac story goes like this:

I wanted a cheap car for around town / suburb driving, and for parking in places I would never leave my other car. I ended up getting the car for almost four hundred bucks LESS than it's retail price, paying $950 all up. I assumed it was like the trade-me advert said ("goes fine, nothing wrong with it"), because for the car make/model and it's age, it looks bloody good. I had it serviced yesterday, and found out that it needs a few things replaced (water pump, rear brake drums if I recall correctly, 1 CV boot/cover, brake pads, and some more pricy things too). I don't have to fix these things now, but my plans for the car mean it is advisable. The repairs/replacement will be about $800 to $1000, which is much better than selling it for half the price I paid (because I won't lie in adverts) and then having to buy another car. I like the Pontiac because it was obviously a very technically advanced car for its time as it's real Real nippy (it's a small car with a 2L injected engine), it has windscreen wipers speed variation controls, has a fibre-optic light source for the gear selection indicators.

My silly, stereotypical plan for this car is to turn it into a "boy racers" haven. I stopped by Super Cheap, and got a low to mid level CD/MP3/Tuner stereo head unit, speakers, interior AND exterior LED / Neon lighting to go above front footwells, pointed at instrument panel, aimed at gear lever, lighting up at stereo head unit (great that it's the same neon/LED blue of my other blue LED's / neons), long neon/LCD tubes under my car (probably on the left and right hand side) and finally behind the front grill. My air horns (replacing the current shitty hooter) and sports muffler will hopefully finalise the look I want (it's already looking good with the small number of neon spots/LED's in the car's cabin).

This certainly does not make financial sense, but idle hands will find a way to occupy themselves. Just so you know, this isn't my main car - I wouldn't subject that one to unnecessary "surgery". Anyone here seriously into vehicle blingiefication?