PDA

View Full Version : “Motorcycling Peer” dies

Bob
14th September 2006, 00:39
Lord Strathcarron , the moustachioed "motorcycling peer" who was motoring correspondent of the Field for nearly half a century, has died aged 82, seven weeks after colliding with a dustcart.

Known as being “Obsessed with motorcycles”, he had been chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Motorcycling Group. He pioneered the campaign for motorcyclists to be allowed to use bus lanes and was also instrumental in the creation of the basic training system for learner riders, which was introduced in December 1990.

He is survived by his fourth wife, Diana, and two sons by his second wife, also Diana. His elder son, Ian David Patrick Macpherson, inherits the title.

Brian d marge
14th September 2006, 01:17
I remember him , he was a biker ( a bit hesitant to say ,,a rub ,,but ) he did do a lot for motorcycling,, and POSSIBLY was the dam that stopped the flood of stupidity from Belgium.

Rip fella

Stephen

Bob
15th September 2006, 23:43
I've been finding out more about him - and he was a real character:

Once he turned up on his bike at the headquarters of BP announcing himself as Lord Strathcarron, only for the parking attendant to reply that he was the Queen of Sheba. He returned a short time later, dressed in a chalk-stripe suit and the same attendant asked who he was. "I'm Lord Strathcarron," he replied, "and you're the f***ing Queen of Sheba."

He rode almost everywhere on two wheels. Strathcarron would holiday in Europe, with his wife riding pillion, followed by his butler in a three-wheeler also containing an elderly, scrawny parrot in its cage.

In later years, Strathcarron had a problem with a tendon that gave him a "claw hand", making it difficult to grip the bars. He had an operation to adjust his grip so he could ride a solo motorbike in comparative comfort; the change, he noted however, had made it "a bit of a bugger getting out of the bath".

The world needs more people like this - shame he is no longer with us.

Rest In Peace.

Ixion
16th September 2006, 10:15
The world desparately needs more chaps like him.

I found this comment in an article written by him

...When I was a boy in the early 1930s, I would accompany my eccentric Uncle John, whose hobby was to drive out early in the morning and have breakfast in Bath or some other destination.

His eccentric Uncle John must have been a REAL hoot !

oldrider
16th September 2006, 14:53
Unfortunately this news adds authenticity to the adage: "People like him are a dying breed". :yes: Eccentric admirer, John.

Bob
17th September 2006, 05:57
The world desparately needs more chaps like him.

I found this comment in an article written by him

His eccentric Uncle John must have been a REAL hoot !
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Not sure, but I think the family lived in the Beaulieu area - which would have made a trip to Bath about 70 miles (110kms?) - so a 220kms round trip. just to have breakfast in a 1930's vehicle? Yup, pretty eccentric I'd say!

That said, I once popped out to refuel the bike, got carried away with the ride and ended up filling it up twice...

smokeyging
17th September 2006, 06:14
That said, I once popped out to refuel the bike, got carried away with the ride and ended up filling it up twice...

Yep, with the mood swings with my missus, thats happened a lot around here too.....

Paul in NZ
19th September 2006, 10:53
Check here..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/12/db1201.xml

Sounds like he was quite a lad....