PDA

View Full Version : Dr 650 reliability?

Crisis management
14th September 2006, 20:03
I have been looking at a late 90's DR650 and the owner tells me he recently had to replace the starter idler gear (apparently there are two of them) as it had come lose and gouged its way into the cases.
I haven't seen the bike, only talked to the owner by phone, so who knows how accurately I am getting this message??
Seems a bit odd to me, is this just one of those things that happen or a sign of well abused and knackered motor?
Anyone got any advice?? I am interested in whether this is an indicator of engine age/wear, and obviously stuff like compression testing / smoking etc I will investigate if I go any further with it.
I am also trying to save myself 4 hours driving to look at it if it is likely to be rubbish.
Help please....

Transalper
14th September 2006, 20:15
cooneyr or lemans or far queue will be sure to answer this better but i can tell you that that is an issue with a paticular year of them.

This post (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=718776&postcount=13) by far queue might have some useful info for you

Crisis management
14th September 2006, 20:33
Thanks Transalper, I might PM them if I have no public response. That previous thread info is useful, I had saved it when that post first came out, then forgotten about! Thanks for the reminder!

far queue
14th September 2006, 20:43
I have been looking at a late 90's DR650 and the owner tells me he recently had to replace the starter idler gear (apparently there are two of them) as it had come lose and gouged its way into the cases.
I haven't seen the bike, only talked to the owner by phone, so who knows how accurately I am getting this message??
Seems a bit odd to me, is this just one of those things that happen or a sign of well abused and knackered motor?
Anyone got any advice?? I am interested in whether this is an indicator of engine age/wear, and obviously stuff like compression testing / smoking etc I will investigate if I go any further with it.
I am also trying to save myself 4 hours driving to look at it if it is likely to be rubbish.
Help please....Here you go, have look here for the problem and the solution ... http://www.kientech.com/DR650TorqueLimiter.html

Crisis management
14th September 2006, 20:49
Awesome Far Queue, thanks!
Looks like an easy fix then and not a case of knackered motors.:scooter:

cooneyr
15th September 2006, 08:49
Help please....

Basically the deal is that the 98 and early 99 bikes had a sold idler gear. When shutting down or if it backfires this can cause the idler gear (not plural) can break out of the case. Dont mean to be a scare monger but would find out exactly what he means by cases gouged and find out how damaged the cases are. It may just be the side cover which should be an easy replace (dont know about price) if necessary but if the inner race for the idler gear shaft is naffed then talking a lot more serious.

I've just bought a bike that was registered very early in 98 and am planning of pulling the side cover to see if it has the solid or torque limiting gear next week. I'll take some photos and hopefully provide a better description then. Heres hopping it is a 97 model with the torque limiting gear - would rather spend the money on bars and hand guards.

P.S. I have a workshop manual if you need any specs/details etc.

Cheers
R

laRIKin
15th September 2006, 17:53
They are a good bike but like all, are not perfect.
Here is some more reading for you.

And don't forget the internet can make a mountain out of a mole hill.:yes:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119614&highlight=idler+gear

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36054&highlight=idler+gear

Crisis management
15th September 2006, 20:28
Thanks Lemans, you're right, it seems to be an occasional problem, but obviously one that has struck this DR.
I will enquire further....and try and have the cases apart before I decide to buy or not.

Updates to follow :scooter:

cooneyr
20th September 2006, 08:10
Well I finally got the side cover off last night to check if I have the torque limiting side cover or not, and I do. :banana: :2thumbsup So no worries about having to get a new gear. The job was a piece of cake except I left the container I drained the oil into under the side cover to catch any drips and managed to drop the spanner into it. This wouldnt be so bad except is was to hot to stick my hand in to retrieve it (had been for a little sprin to warm up the oil :innocent: No big deal really.

The gear on the upper left of the photo is the one to look for, the lower right gear is the idler gear. Both gears run on shafts in the upper right portion of the cases. Interesting there is no bushes for the idler gear yet there is for the torque limiting gear. I know it is to do with magnitude and direction of load on the gears but come on it cents were talking for the bushes.

Given the cost of oil and a new side cover gasket I'd recomend that you do the check if you think there is any risk of having the solid gear.

Cheers
Ryan

Crisis management
20th September 2006, 12:15
Well I finally got the side cover off last night to check if I have the torque limiting side cover or not, and I do.

Bastard! I don't!

I bought the DR last night, so thanks for all the advice everyone, I just need to fix it now!

The previous owner had the idler gear break as I said in the first post, apparently the inner case fractured where the upper (nearest the starter) idler shaft enters the case.
Luckily for him? he had access to a machine shop and a good welder and has repaired the mounting surface by machining it out, welding in a new mounting and remachining the shaft location. He did a nice job too, looks very tradesman like and works well.
Now for the torgue limiting gear!
I assume from the answers recieved that the only option is an after market part (I haven't pursued that subject yet) or do suzuki have a standard replacement for this?

Oh, bike goes well too, I have fallen off once (It's a bit different to the GSXR1100) and my son (18) insisted on "showing me how to do it" and has fallen off twice!:banana:

cooneyr
20th September 2006, 12:32
I assume from the answers recieved that the only option is an after market part (I haven't pursued that subject yet) or do suzuki have a standard replacement for this?

The pre 98 and post early 99 (to current) models came with the torque limiting gear ex factory. Suzuki should therefore be able to supply you with the correct part. No idea how much but am going down to get my new side cover gasket now so I'll ask how much (if they can tell me).

Cheers
R

P.S. not droped it yet but there is always time for it later :whistle:

cooneyr
20th September 2006, 13:30
I bought the DR last night, so thanks for all the advice everyone, I just need to fix it now!

Back from Sportzone Suzuki. Apparently the part is not stocked in NZ so about 10 days to import. Because not in NZ cant give me a price for the part. The gasket cost $27.

Good luck with the bike.

Cheers
R

Crisis management
20th September 2006, 13:34
Thanks Ryan, I will chase it from up here...should be cheaper its not as far from Japan to Auckland???

far queue
20th September 2006, 14:33
Well I finally got the side cover off last night to check if I have the torque limiting side cover or not, and I do. :banana: :2thumbsup So no worries about having to get a new gear. Excellent news.

Bastard! I don't!Bummer

Oh, bike goes well too, I have fallen off once (It's a bit different to the GSXR1100) and my son (18) insisted on "showing me how to do it" and has fallen off twice!:banana:Yeah, my bike has that fault too. It's happened to me a number times now :doobey: