PDA

View Full Version : Worsleys Road condition -Chch

Transalper
14th September 2006, 20:10
Well Christchurch Adventure Riders, I've just been up Worsleys Road and can tell you it's at it's most rutted and rocky i've seen it in ages. There's also a boggy bit about 3/4 the way up, at the bottom of a little climb that claimed my chain guard today. After three goes at that bit i turned around and headed home before it got dark.
Attached is me holding the chain guard with my boots, pants, gloves and bike turning the colour of drying clay.

So anyone want to go adventuring or trail riding Saturday?

PLUG
14th September 2006, 20:22
Nice TA ... thanks for the warning ... did it smell ??? ... Yp to the 2nd question.

oldrider
14th September 2006, 20:23
Carl, I will have to get a new definition of adventure riding, I do not intend to get all grubby like that anymore!
I thought we were supposed to ride "on" the roads, not "through" them! :shit: John.

PS: I have ordered a set of Mitas tyres.

Transalper
14th September 2006, 21:05
:laugh: yes, well, i'm glad i was doing it on a 250. As soon as my boots sunk into the goo, i was wishing i had worn my proper off road stuff.:doh:

Ruralman
14th September 2006, 21:39
Well Christchurch Adventure Riders, I've just been up Worsleys Road and can tell you it's at it's most rutted and rocky i've seen it in ages. There's also a boggy bit about 3/4 the way up, at the bottom of a little climb that claimed my chain guard today. After three goes at that bit i turned around and headed home before it got dark.
Attached is me holding the chain guard with my boots, pants, gloves and bike turning the colour of drying clay.

OK for those of us who are geographically challenged - where the heck is Worsley Rd??? Looks like you needed 2 stroke power transalper!! - floats like a butterfly, stings like a beeeeeeee

miSTa
14th September 2006, 21:41
What a mess, I hope cleaned that bike before you done anything else :rolleyes:

Question, where's Worsleys Road?

far queue
14th September 2006, 21:56
So anyone want to go adventuring or trail riding Saturday?I can't this weekend, but will probably go for a play somewhere the following Saturday (23/9) somewhere - not the Waimak, I want a change from there. If the weathers nice I might go for photo ride round the the South side of Banks Peninsula.

OK for those of us who are geographically challenged - where the heck is Worsley Rd???
Question, where's Worsleys Road?Chch, Port Hills, Cashmere...ish, kind of round behind PMH hospital.

T.W.R
14th September 2006, 21:59
Question, where's Worsleys Road?

About half a KM past Princess Margaret Hospital heading towards Halswell, runs past Craecroft house (sp?) heads up to Marleys Hill & joins the Summit Rd about 1.5km from The sign of the Kiwi.

TA ; Geez looks as if it's getting tough going through there these days, used to be hard enough when it was wet in a 4x4

Ruralman
14th September 2006, 22:03
Bit hard to tell from the pic but it looks like that back tyre is well down - is it and did that make a difference?

PLUG
14th September 2006, 22:05
[QUOTE=Ruralman;753594]- where the heck is Worsley Rd???

... no where near Taupo ... off Cashmere rd just past Princess Margaret horsepiddle ... continuation of Worsleys rd ... comes out on Summit rd ... she ain't big bike country that track ...

miSTa
14th September 2006, 22:08
Chch, Port Hills, Cashmere...ish, kind of round behind PMH hospital.

About half a KM past Princess Margaret Hospital heading towards Halswell, runs past Craecroft house (sp?) heads up to Marleys Hill & joins the Summit Rd about 1.5km from The sign of the Kiwi.

Thanks guys, I have a good idea of where you mean.

Transalper
14th September 2006, 22:17
Bit hard to tell from the pic but it looks like that back tyre is well down - is it and did that make a difference?
Nope, the tyre is fairly new. A proper mud tyre might have helped..or not. It was a hard slipery climb up the clay rise straight out of a bog. I didnt have enough momentum and dragging the bike back out was a real effort.
I wish i'd had the camera with me on the track. Maybe i'll do a helmet cam run Friday? Would be better if there was someone infront if i do. Otherwise i might just go take a couple of photos... but photos never do the tracks justice.
The X on the map is as far as i got comming in from HoonHay Rd end.

cooneyr
15th September 2006, 08:41

The poor old gerbil, you play nice now TA. :innocent:

Actually it looks like fun - damn licence crap - I wanna have a go. I'd be keen this weekend but off to the region of sun. Keen to go somewhere in future weekends but I'm still limited to off road only though. Any other off road tracks in the chch vicinity, Ashley river, Leathfield river, Eyre River etc?

Cheers
R

SDU
15th September 2006, 10:55
:rockon: That looks like you had fun. I'll have to do that road sometime.
So do you have a new toy now or is it a loaner. Was J with you? the serow luvs that sort of stuff.

Transalper
15th September 2006, 13:50
Na, was scouting it ready to go with J on Sunday but now i think we will go elsewhere. Would be a bit much too soon with her new bike. And yes, i do have a new toy too.
Don't look like i'm getting back there today with cameras, been called in to work so will not be home with enough light left to go.

SDU
15th September 2006, 13:59
Thought you might 've bought it since you showed it so dirty, but you & J are known to get bikes dirty on test rides :)
Good one I hope you & J have fun cruising around on Sun

SDU
15th September 2006, 14:06
Actually it looks like fun - damn licence crap - I wanna have a go. I'd be keen this weekend but off to the region of sun. Keen to go somewhere in future weekends but I'm still limited to off road only though. Any other off road tracks in the chch vicinity, Ashley river, Leathfield river, Eyre River etc?
Cheers
R

Have fun in the :sunny: R.
But don't forget to post us some pics off your new toy. I'm sure we can find a bog hole for you to play in off road. FQ can show you how to best clean it afterwards- he has a great technique:innocent: :shutup:

cooneyr
15th September 2006, 14:58
Have fun in the :sunny: R.
But don't forget to post us some pics off your new toy. I'm sure we can find a bog hole for you to play in off road. FQ can show you how to best clean it afterwards- he has a great technique:innocent: :shutup:

I'll get some pics next week and put them up. Might have to go for a blast in the strawberry fields/subdivision over the way from "home" next week.

Want to checking if it has the solid of torque limiting starter gear before I get to serious. Hoping to do this next week so I'm ready for the weekend after if others are keen for a ride? I'll get pics of this too for those who are interested.

Cheers
R

far queue
15th September 2006, 18:48
FQ can show you how to best clean it afterwards- he has a great technique:innocent: :shutup:Nah, it's not that great I got a wet arse and ending up leaving a big wet mark at the cafe in Oxford. It's supposed to be the womans job to sit in the wetspot :bleh:

Transalper
21st September 2006, 19:07
Went up again just now, the roads heaps dryer, the boggy bit is still a little sticky but now dry enough to stay on top of the ridge between the ruts where i had been stuck.

PLUG
21st September 2006, 20:09
Nice job on the number plate ... I want one ... please.

Hows the tune up working out ???

Transalper
21st September 2006, 20:42
Tune up needs a little more tweaking. They had an unexpected glitch but we will have it sorted when i go back in the morning with a bit of luck. The aim was for more down low go off the idle. We are half way there.

upshift
21st September 2006, 21:37
Geez, I lived in Hoon Hay/Spreydon for 20 years and never knew that was there!
Might make an interesting alternative route when I pop over to Governer's bay to visit the bro in January. Is that an exposed power or Telecom cable to the right in the second photo?

PLUG
21st September 2006, 21:48
... it was a cockys farm water supply feed line ... suspect it would be a sprinkler now if they put water through it

Transalper
22nd September 2006, 08:17
i've always wondered about that pipe/cable thing. I usually try and avoid it but don't always succeed, but if it's only an old water supply line i'll never give it another thought.

cooneyr
22nd September 2006, 08:29
Tune up needs a little more tweaking. They had an unexpected glitch but we will have it sorted when i go back in the morning with a bit of luck. The aim was for more down low go off the idle. We are half way there.

For my benefit how did you decide that it needed a tune? Was it just that you wanted more bottom end grunt or was there an "obvious" issue that I didnt pick up on? Keen to learn.

Cheers
R

Transalper
22nd September 2006, 13:44
Well i heard it detonating while you were riding it infront of me several times and was in at DAS ordering a bashplate for it when Phil (who has a DR250 also...not a Djebel) said something about jetting. So when it pinged on me on my first run up Worseys i went back and decided to try what he suggested.
I wanted to avoid the so called 96 octane too.
So i now have a bigger (and unfortunately for the rider noisyer) hole in the top of the airbox where the snorkel has been removed and different jetting.
It does have better pickup down low now but seems to bog down if i give it a huge handful from idle before coming to life. Reason given is it's still restricted at the muffler and to fix that with aftermarket pipe would make it noisyer again, this time for rider and audiance.It does appear to have fixed the detonation problem without needing higher octaine.
We'll just have to see how it goes as i become more familer with the beast.

Transalper
22nd September 2006, 14:03
Actually just been reading a bit about detonation and am not sure that jetting would be a fix. I'm all for higher octaine as a fix but just dislike the way it's done to our 96.
So good or bad i don't know, but it does have a bit more down low now and in a couple of hours (now van is fixed i need food first) i'll go back to Worseys Rd hill and see what happens.
They changed sparkplug too.

HenryDorsetCase
22nd September 2006, 15:37
so its you guys who ruined it for us mountainbikers????

Transalper
22nd September 2006, 15:52
so its you guys who ruined it for us mountainbikers????Na dude, that was the 4 wheel drives. Our little bikes dont make big ruts.

cooneyr
22nd September 2006, 16:06
so its you guys who ruined it for us mountainbikers????

Na dude, that was the 4 wheel drives. Our little bikes dont make big ruts.

I dont know any of "those" 4wders :whistle: but yes definatly the 4wders. Thats why the fence is down on the Halwell Valley side - 4wds that can handle the rutts so go into the neighbouring paddock.

R

cooneyr
22nd September 2006, 16:09
They changed sparkplug too.

To a colder one? Would it help?

Cheers
R

Transalper
22nd September 2006, 16:19
Don't think they changed plug temps. The one they put in looks like the same as the spare you had (NGK CR9E). The one they took out was a DENSO ND U27ESR-N. Whatever the heck that is. It had a carboned up electrode end. Not really bad but maybe due for replacement. Now i have two spares.
I did read detonating is made worse with heat so maybe a colder plug would help, but then who knows what other problem might rear its head then.
I didn't get back to the hill today afterall and now J is due here soon.

Transalper
22nd September 2006, 16:26
...yes definatly the 4wders. Thats why the fence is down on the Halwell Valley side - 4wds that can handle the rutts so go into the neighbouring paddock.I assume that's 4x4's that can't handle the ruts you meen.
Knocking the fence down and not putting it back up is kinda just rude. I noticed it was looking a bit sad just near where i turned around. I rode most the way up trying to stay on top between ruts. If anything i'd be making the road smoother, but then i never spun my wheel until i got stuck in the bog after falling into the 4x4's left wheel hole.

I saw 5 mountainbikers while up there yesterday too so some of you are still enjoying it.

cooneyr
22nd September 2006, 16:59
The one they put in looks like the same as the spare you had (NGK CR9E). The one they took out was a DENSO ND U27ESR-N.

The Denso U27ESR-N is for a 98 to 01 DR250R. The X27EPR-U9 is for the DR250S 1993 - 95. So not actually sure what is suppose to go in a 96 DR250XC. Denso plug finder page http://www.denso.com.au/sparkplug/finder

The NGK CR9E is for the DR250R 1998-2001 and the DPR9EA-9 is for the DR250S 1993-95. Again not actually sure which on is correct. NGK plug finder page http://www.ngkspark.com.au/part_index.htm?http://www.ngkspark.com.au/PartFinder/spark_plug_vehicle_type.htm

I just got the CR9E as it went with the U27ESR-N.

Hope this helps
R

Transalper
22nd September 2006, 17:50
Interesting, but some would say i'm beyond help.

Transalper
10th October 2006, 23:13
VIDEO (http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/149871/WorseysRd3m30s_agk8mbDivX.avi)...
It's 3minutes, 30seconds in DivX (http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/download/) again. File is 8mb's in size.
The video (http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/149871/WorseysRd3m30s_agk8mbDivX.avi) starts with a bit of an off day then ends with a clean run the next day.
Sometimes i just can't stay in or out of those ruts.:doh:

cooneyr
11th October 2006, 07:02
Sometimes i just can't stay in or out of those ruts.:doh:

Awsome Vid. Glad to see that I'm not the only one who struggles with ruts! You breezed it the second day. Will have to have an evening run when I get the full in a couple of weeks (hopefully).

Cheers
R

Ruralman
11th October 2006, 08:35
[
Sometimes i just can't stay in or out of those ruts.:doh:[/QUOTE]

Great work on the video - how tempted were you to edit out the off????
Can you work the video OK while riding standing up?? - I think if I were riding that road I would have spent very little time with my butt on the seat. Its trips like this that keep me wondering about what sort of dirtbike to replace my KDX with. A road legal serious trailie or another pure off roader????

SDU
11th October 2006, 09:48
:cool: Video T.A, Gee I guess you had to do your own stunts that day with out the rest of us practised crashers along.:whistle: :lol:
I'd be in for a run up there some time too. I think the Serow would be ideal for that run, would J be keen.

miSTa
11th October 2006, 20:47
:cool: Video T.A, Gee I guess you had to do your own stunts that day with out the rest of us practised crashers along.:whistle: :lol:

Hope you're speaking for yourself there SDU :innocent:

Transalper
11th October 2006, 20:48
...Will have to have an evening run when I get the full in a couple of weeks (hopefully).

Cheers
RThursdays/Fridays/weekends count me in.

- how tempted were you to edit out the off????
Can you work the video OK while riding standing up?? - I think if I were riding that road I would have spent very little time with my butt on the seat. Its trips like this that keep me wondering about what sort of dirtbike to replace my KDX with. A road legal serious trailie or another pure off roader????Not too tempted as it's the minties moments that make the videos fun (even my own moments).
Helmet Camera so standing is actually better because that makes the picture smoother in trail situations.
I do much better times up that track on the CRF230 standing most the way, I tended to sit on the DR a little more.

...I'd be in for a run up there some time too. I think the Serow would be ideal for that run, would J be keen.I'm keen to go again with other riders along. Am starting to build J up to it. She might still be happier on the 125 on that hill for now.

warewolf
11th October 2006, 21:21
Great stuff! :cool:

The helmet cam was giving me headspins there for a while; you were looking down at the front guard a bit more, I was looking at the picture ahead and that made the motion a bit out of whack.

oldrider
12th October 2006, 20:08
That damn video wont run on my computer! Do I have to download the player? I'm getting too much stuff on it now! John.

paturoa
12th October 2006, 20:20
That damn video wont run on my computer! Do I have to download the player? I'm getting too much stuff on it now! John.

I've been using the free VLC http://www.videolan.org/ and I haven't found a vid yet that it wont play.

Transalper
12th October 2006, 21:21
That damn video wont run on my computer! Do I have to download the player? I'm getting too much stuff on it now! John.If you do not have the right codec installed then you might hear the video but get no picture or get a pattern as if you are playing a music audio file.
To get the picture you need to download and install the DivX codec as most of my videos are encoded with.
You can get it from the DivX download page (it's about 15mb)... or as paturoa says videolan (a 7.9mb download) is a very good player, especially if other players are giving a bumpy playback, i then use videolan.
However i'm not totally sure wether if you get videolan alone then you may still need to install the divX codec anyway.
Looking at some of the videolan documentation it does sound like it includes the codec so videolan would be all you need and at 7.9mb it's the better option.

I've been using the free VLC http://www.videolan.org/ and I haven't found a vid yet that it wont play.I think it's a great player but when i installed it on a fresh operating system i still needed some codecs to complete the set. Are you sure that the divx codec wasn't installed by a different pack you might have installed earlier? It's been updated several times since i tested the package on a system i was sure had no extra codecs installed.

paturoa
12th October 2006, 21:37
I just built a couple of new PCs and unless the Divx codec is in the latest XP service pack (which I doubt) then it must be imbedded.

Transalper
12th October 2006, 22:34
That's all good then, i too would recomend oldrider (and anyone else with problems) just downloads videolan (http://www.videolan.org/) then try playing the video again. And remember to zoom playback size to get a decent look at it. To do that in most player it's a double click inside the picture while playing, or choose view in the players menu and then zoom, or a right click to get the context menu and find something like view or zoom.
The whole point of DivX is to be a small file size and still give a very good full screen picture for it. For my videos it seems to need at least 2.2mb per minute of video for best results. I just started encoding with Auto Gordian Knot (http://www.autogk.me.uk/).