PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha TTR600 - how good off road? Any test links?

Ruralman
14th September 2006, 21:55
I need a bit of help.
I'm looking for info on the Yammie TTR600 - I have googled without much success. Has anyone got a site they know of?
Where I'm coming from with this is that my eldest son(15) needs to step up a bit on what he rides - either I buy something for him, probably another KDX, or I get something else for myself and he takes over my KDX.
I sort of like the look of the TTR600. What I do know about them is that they have great suspension, kick start only, have a small 10litre fuel tank, are pretty reliable starters hot or cold (which not all big 4 stroke singles are), they weigh in at 141kg (dry?-I'm not sure) and the motors are meant to be bullet proof.
What I don't know is - is the motor exactly the same as the XT or in a different state of tune?
141kg seems a lot - do you really notice that when on tight trails (I'm reasonably experienced, 100kg and a bit stronger than your average urban pen pusher) - or does the weight disappear when on the move?
What range should I expect out of a tank? - are there larger tanks available.
How does that weight compare to those of you with DR650's - have you ever ridden with/on a TTR600?
There are a few on Trademe but they've been there for ages - why don't they sell? Is there something wrong with them, or is this just a good bargaining position?
Not sure I would keep one road legal but it would certainly open up some more demanding adventure rides than I do on the Transalp, but I would still want to be happy with it on the tighter sections of the organised trail rides around here as well as using it on the farm.
All help appreciated

Sensei
14th September 2006, 22:02
Owned a new 1990 TT600R was excellent bored it out to 640cc & Motarded it with road tyres etc . Road it on the dirt alot before that & was an ok jumper & trail blaster but no CRF450 / YZF450 still good fun . Had a KLX650R which was a better bike again . & would be my pick out of the two .

far queue
14th September 2006, 22:07
How does that weight compare to those of you with DR650'sMost of that I can't help you with sorry ... but the dry weight of the DR650 is 147kg.
have you ever ridden with/on a TTR600?No. I've ridden with Lemans a bit, with him on his KTM LC4, and it's way better off road than the DR, the extra money gets you better suspension, etc. Mind you he's a better rider than me too. Another bike for you to look for would be an XR650 or is it 600. They're a good bike - one of the better off road biased big bore trailies.

Ruralman
14th September 2006, 22:09
Owned a new 1990 TT600R was excellent bored it out to 640cc & Motarded it with road tyres etc . Road it on the dirt alot before that & was an ok jumper & trail blaster but no CRF450 / YZF450 still good fun . Had a KLX650R which was a better bike again . & would be my pick out of the two .

ANy reason why you preferred the KLX? - yours was a 1990 - the ones on Trademe are around 2002-03. I wonder whether they changed much?
I had a mate up here a while ago - he'd bought an older TTR350 - I was staggered at how gutless and heavy it was. My KDX would just leave it in the dust as well as being much easier to chuck around.
There's one (TTR600)at a dealer in Dunedin but they want 1500-2000 more than I could get one privately and it would be a bit rude to take it for a test ride and than buy another one somewhere else - but I suppose if I rode it and then left it a few months before buying one would that be OK?

Ruralman
14th September 2006, 22:15
Most of that I can't help you with sorry ... but the dry weight of the DR650 is 147kg.No. I've ridden with Lemans a bit, with him on his KTM LC4, and it's way better off road than the DR, the extra money gets you better suspension, etc. Mind you he's a better rider than me too. Another bike for you to look for would be an XR650 or is it 600. They're a good bike - one of the better off road biased big bore trailies.

There's a KTM640E on trademe at the moment as well.
The weight is the thing that really bothers me - I'll just have to get a ride on one to see, and be able to take it somewhere tricky.
It comes back to the bike I would really like is a GasGas EC300 - they're just a bit more coin than I want to spend and we haven't got a dealer around here.

Sensei
14th September 2006, 22:32
The KLX650 was faster, jumped better started easyer , But I only dirt road it . Went really well bored to 700cc with a flatslide carb on Avgas too .

Terry
15th September 2006, 19:45
I need a bit of help.
I'm looking for info on the Yammie TTR600 - I have googled without much success. Has anyone got a site they know of?
Where I'm coming from with this is that my eldest son(15) needs to step up a bit on what he rides - either I buy something for him, probably another KDX, or I get something else for myself and he takes over my KDX.
I sort of like the look of the TTR600. What I do know about them is that they have great suspension, kick start only, have a small 10litre fuel tank, are pretty reliable starters hot or cold (which not all big 4 stroke singles are), they weigh in at 141kg (dry?-I'm not sure) and the motors are meant to be bullet proof.
What I don't know is - is the motor exactly the same as the XT or in a different state of tune?
141kg seems a lot - do you really notice that when on tight trails (I'm reasonably experienced, 100kg and a bit stronger than your average urban pen pusher) - or does the weight disappear when on the move?
What range should I expect out of a tank? - are there larger tanks available.
How does that weight compare to those of you with DR650's - have you ever ridden with/on a TTR600?
There are a few on Trademe but they've been there for ages - why don't they sell? Is there something wrong with them, or is this just a good bargaining position?
Not sure I would keep one road legal but it would certainly open up some more demanding adventure rides than I do on the Transalp, but I would still want to be happy with it on the tighter sections of the organised trail rides around here as well as using it on the farm.
All help appreciated
Had a TTR600 bloody good reliable bike,leave the DR for dead and a way better build. They put the things together in the Belgrada (spelt something like that) factory in Italy. Hell of a different ride than the XT which is a bit soft. I havn't ridden the XR but a mate of mine down south recons they are the biz, he had one of the early TTR's. You should pay about $5000 to $5500 for a 4 year old one in good nick so make an offer and walk away if they don't want to play.

Ruralman
15th September 2006, 22:44
Had a TTR600 bloody good reliable bike,leave the DR for dead and a way better build. They put the things together in the Belgrada (spelt something like that) factory in Italy. Hell of a different ride than the XT which is a bit soft. I havn't ridden the XR but a mate of mine down south recons they are the biz, he had one of the early TTR's. You should pay about $5000 to $5500 for a 4 year old one in good nick so make an offer and walk away if they don't want to play.

Thanks Terry, pleased there's someone on here who's had one. The one's on Trademe are miles away and while they look in bloody good nick, I'm going to have to score a ride on one around here to see if its what I want. I reckon your probably about right for the $ (was that for an XR or a TTR?), possibly a little low, but there's 3 on Trademe that haven't moved for ages so any offer should get a look.

spudchucka
16th September 2006, 11:49
I've got a 2002 XR650R. I was planning on buying a slightlty newer TTR600 until I test rode the XR for a comparison. The XR was way more grunty and just felt like a much more fun bike.

To be fair I had only ridden the TTR for about 15 minutes and on-road only, it was tottaly standard too whereas the XR had a full exhaust system, jet kit and has been fully uncorcked. The TTR could have similar power with similar mods, I don't know really but the one I test rode felt choked compared to the XR, which has a strong tendancy to want to pitch the front wheel in the air.

Terry
16th September 2006, 12:44
Thanks Terry, pleased there's someone on here who's had one. The one's on Trademe are miles away and while they look in bloody good nick, I'm going to have to score a ride on one around here to see if its what I want. I reckon your probably about right for the $ (was that for an XR or a TTR?), possibly a little low, but there's 3 on Trademe that haven't moved for ages so any offer should get a look.
I recon $5000 to 5500 about the right $'s for the TTR. Possibly could pay a little more for the XR, (or alot more at a dealer).

Ruralman
16th September 2006, 21:02
I recon $5000 to 5500 about the right $'s for the TTR. Possibly could pay a little more for the XR, (or alot more at a dealer).

Dn dealer has one @ $8500 which I think is way too high - they'll figure that out if it doesn't sell, although I guess a lot of their sales are on finance which is different to the Trademe sales.

Ruralman
16th September 2006, 21:06
I've got a 2002 XR650R. I was planning on buying a slightlty newer TTR600 until I test rode the XR for a comparison. The XR was way more grunty and just felt like a much more fun bike.

To be fair I had only ridden the TTR for about 15 minutes and on-road only, it was tottaly standard too whereas the XR had a full exhaust system, jet kit and has been fully uncorcked. The TTR could have similar power with similar mods, I don't know really but the one I test rode felt choked compared to the XR, which has a strong tendancy to want to pitch the front wheel in the air.

Mates TTR350 felt strangled as well. If the XR had all that done its probably not a fair comparison - but I certainly want something that can wag its front leg in the air on demand. From what I have heard the TTR600 suspension is superb - and in real world trail riding that makes a huge difference.
Was the XR650R a road legal beast?
thanks

Henk
16th September 2006, 22:05
Got a TTR600 and the wife has a DR650. The DR is a better tarmac bike and the TTR is a better gravel doad bike. I wouldn't recomend either as a dirt bike. We do some trail riding on them at WMCC recces and they wil get round tight trails but you really do notice the weight. I'd be looking at something more off road oriented if I were you. They are both great bikes but not trail bikes.

Ruralman
16th September 2006, 22:17
Got a TTR600 and the wife has a DR650. The DR is a better tarmac bike and the TTR is a better gravel doad bike. I wouldn't recomend either as a dirt bike. We do some trail riding on them at WMCC recces and they wil get round tight trails but you really do notice the weight. I'd be looking at something more off road oriented if I were you. They are both great bikes but not trail bikes.

Thanks, thats the feedback I wanted - looks like another KDX or a GasGas 300 with the road legal stuff.

spudchucka
17th September 2006, 11:00
Mates TTR350 felt strangled as well. If the XR had all that done its probably not a fair comparison - but I certainly want something that can wag its front leg in the air on demand. From what I have heard the TTR600 suspension is superb - and in real world trail riding that makes a huge difference.
Was the XR650R a road legal beast?
thanks

The TTR has an Ohlins rear and Termagali (or something like that) italian forks, so in the suspension terms its better than the XR.

I agree that it wasn't a fair comparison, uncorked XR VS stock TTR = not fair. Its just that when I rode the XR I found that it was everything I'd hope the TTR would have been. I'm sure with teh same mods though the TTR would be similar in performance.

My XR is road legal but quite loud, the Vance & Hines muffler doesn't do very much muffling to be honest, especially at full throttle.

clint640
18th September 2006, 12:42
Thanks, thats the feedback I wanted - looks like another KDX or a GasGas 300 with the road legal stuff.

Have a look at the KTM 300EXC as well, they're a lot more common than the Gas Gas & a bloody good bike too.

Cheers
Clint

Ruralman
18th September 2006, 16:39
Have a look at the KTM 300EXC as well, they're a lot more common than the Gas Gas & a bloody good bike too.

Cheers
Clint

Road legal??

clint640
19th September 2006, 08:03
Road legal??

Pretty sure they are. I think all the 250 & above KTM EXC's come in with all the road kit. A mate uses his on the road now & then. I've ridden it & really liked it, the 4x2 for a seat doesn't make it any sort of adv bike but as a real grunty lightweight trailbike it's awesome. Very easy to ride too as (on Mikes 01 anyway) you can easily adjust the power valve from 'tractor mode' to 'hang the f**k on' mode.

Cheers
Clint