PDA

View Full Version : Sat 26/6/04 SLOW Short West Ride

Kwaka-Kid
23rd June 2004, 01:03
Hey guys, thought id better throw it up here.

Shade and myself are sure to venture out towards kaukoppakoppa on saturday via old north road and peak road, possibly go further to wellsford this time? just an idea...

anyway its just honestly going to be slow as, so we can learn more about the roads and just experience more twisty riding/developing street lines etc.

any riders willing to ride at a slow pace welcome, meet up at my place say 9am or 10am (whatever?) just gimmie a PM and ill give you Addy/Home phone details. Dunno what interest there is but id like to think its going to be as fun like always and if any maintanence needs doing on your bike bring it around earlier saturday morning-see if we can sort it out.

cheers guys :)

KK :scooter:

Antallica
23rd June 2004, 01:31
Wish I could meet you halfway, but sadly I'm running on the mirror I can't use.

Arse.

6Chris6
23rd June 2004, 06:26
I'm still keen KK.
Gettin painted bits back tonight.
I'll give you a ring to arrange early meet.
Cheers
Chris

Kwaka-Kid
23rd June 2004, 08:22
sounds good :)

Posh Tourer :P
23rd June 2004, 08:25
I might be there for a bit. I have to be in Ellerslie at 12.

vifferman
23rd June 2004, 08:43
Goodie. I was looking for a ride this weekend (if it's not wet. My plug cap's got a tear in it, and doesn't like waterer.)
Iffen it's going to be SLOW, then I'll just use first gear. And mebbe second.

jrandom
23rd June 2004, 10:04
Sounds good, although I'll need to be back home before 2pm or so. And I don't think I'll come if the weather is too rubbishy.

Maintenance? Hmmmm. Got any spare BT39 rears lying around? :p

Kwaka-Kid
23rd June 2004, 11:31
haha! unfortunatly not.. wait a min, what size? Step father just got a GPX550 and is replacing the tyres, 17" rims, 110 front i think and 130ish rear? something like that, they still got mint tread, just unknown commuter brands (he wants proper tyres :D) he might come on the ride too maybe.

Hoon
23rd June 2004, 12:29
Hopefully I can make it....my ZXR400's in a millions pieces (head off, valves out) and I'm still searching for some valve guide seals but I can't find any packs of 10 - I'm sure not paying $13ea for the dealer ones!

So I might just slap it all back together as is :(

Kwaka-Kid
23rd June 2004, 12:45
Hopefully I can make it....my ZXR400's in a millions pieces (head off, valves out) and I'm still searching for some valve guide seals but I can't find any packs of 10 - I'm sure not paying $13ea for the dealer ones!

So I might just slap it all back together as is :(
bummer dude, argh, best wait for new ones? :S
now its 9am guys! we will be gone by 9:30am for sure, so no laties!

sweet cyas

Milky
23rd June 2004, 21:36
love to come but seems i am working :( maybe another day...

Kwaka-Kid
24th June 2004, 00:38
No Way Milks!! :( dude that sucks! was going to ring you tonight from work, then realised the time a few minutes ago... Wanted you in on this ride dude.

Well we will see how it goes and how slow slow is etc and see what the riders think. Im thinking of heading not just to kaukoppakoppa - but then further up SH16 to Wellsford? will see on the day, shades keen, im keen on just any ride anywhere and giving anyone a hand. If shade gets all the crap ive dumped on him together we ought to have a good first aid kit with us all too, so get it together dude.

Milky
24th June 2004, 10:30
first aid kit aye... in any way related to or derived from the place you work at? :msn-wink:

Kwaka-Kid
24th June 2004, 10:56
Ahem, i figure the stuff was sponsored to me, after all the safer i am out on bikes etc and if i come off i fix myself up good ill be back to work sooner, its for their own good.
:)

BugSplat
25th June 2004, 18:18
But really, "slow short ride"s should be reserved as an indoor activity. :sneaky2:

Two Smoker
25th June 2004, 18:25
Would liked to be able to go with you KK, (and yes i can ride slowly.....) But i have work in the morning :( oh well, maybe a sunday sometime :niceone:

Zed
25th June 2004, 18:38
But really, "slow short ride"s should be reserved as an indoor activity. :sneaky2:
Definately on an R1 anyway! :eek5:

MadDuck
25th June 2004, 20:46
if theres a "slow" ride heading past my back door count me in. Maybe I could meet you at Kowcop?
Have sent you a PM KK. Let me know if its still a happening thing and what time you be at the Kowcop turnoff.
If it truely is a slow ride that is :msn-wink:

Kwaka-Kid
25th June 2004, 23:26
yep all good, if all is on time we will leave sometime jsut after 9am, remember course we might have to get to gas station for everyone and i wanna pump up my tyres etc. then out we head, possibly a be in kaukop a bit after 10 or something.

erik
26th June 2004, 07:30
woo, the weather is looking good!
I'll see you guys at 9.

Are we going to take Scenic drive etc to Kumeu and old north road, or are we going via the motorway?

6Chris6
26th June 2004, 16:15
:sunny: Great day and a great ride. :sunny:
It was my first ride since my bin (2 months ago), and i loved it.
Was starting to feel a bit more comfortable towards the end of the ride but at the start you couldn't have pulled a pin outta my butt with a tractor :wacko:
Anyway great to meet some new faces and look forward to riding with you again.
Heres a couple of pics
Chris

jrandom
26th June 2004, 16:45
Looks like it was a good one. Sorry I missed it. I woke up, looked outside and really, really wanted to head off on the bike... oh well.

I spent the day with the kids at Rainbows End, which I found quite mind-numbing. They seemed to enjoy it though. :niceone:

Zed
26th June 2004, 18:29
Was starting to feel a bit more comfortable towards the end of the ride but at the start you couldn't have pulled a pin outta my butt with a tractor :wacko:
Heres a couple of pics
Chris
Hi Chris,

thanks for the pics. From what I could see of it your Ninja is looking stunning. :yes: What colour is it now? Looks like a dark green with sliver or gold decals?

Glad you're back on two wheels - and what a magnificent day for it!!

Zed

Zed
26th June 2004, 18:35
...I spent the day with the kids at Rainbows End, which I found quite mind-numbing...
I thought Rainbows End would be your scene JR?? You're just a BIG kid at heart aren't you? :D

...then again, "The End" ain't got nothing as thrilling as two wheels flying down the open road twisties on a brilliant day like today!

Two Smoker
26th June 2004, 18:52
Looks like you guys had a good time :niceone: wish i could have gone on all the rides today..... oh well..... Maybe next time :)

Firefight
27th June 2004, 05:14
Heres a couple of pics
Chris

Hey Chris, good to see your back into it mate, glad you all had a great day,

F/F

27th June 2004, 10:42
Learnt a couple of things on this ride. Firstly, it is customary when riding with sportsbikes, to visit petrol stations with regularity :bleh:
Also that tyres aint the only thing that need scrubbing in.... Paintwork seems to also need it, although this normally happens at a speed of roughly 0km/h...

Zed
27th June 2004, 13:19
Learnt a couple of things on this ride. Firstly, it is customary when riding with sportsbikes, to visit petrol stations with regularity :bleh:
Also that tyres aint the only thing that need scrubbing in.... Paintwork seems to also need it, although this normally happens at a speed of roughly 0km/h...
Would you care to elaborate please PT?

Firefight
27th June 2004, 14:04
[QUOTE=Posh Tourer :P]Learnt a couple of things on this ride. Firstly, it is customary when riding with sportsbikes, to visit petrol stations with regularity :bleh:

Yep your right about that, I have ridden with a chap from this site who derives much pleasure in waiting while I fill up two times to his one fill <_<

F/F

Kwaka-Kid
27th June 2004, 16:54
but on the other hand the sports bikes a) go twice as fast, b) are twice as much fun and c) pull twice as many chix!
i hope...

27th June 2004, 19:53
Would you care to elaborate please PT?

I only stick the teaser out there... its up to the owner of the scratches to relate the rest.... Dont worry it actually was at 0km/h so no real damage... :)
Silly little things...

27th June 2004, 19:57
but on the other hand the sports bikes a) go twice as fast, b) are twice as much fun and c) pull twice as many chix!
i hope...

Fair enough, but you might agree that mine sounded best and had the shiny metallic paint jobbie... Now that'd pull the chicks :P..... Tho I must say there are a great many sexier bikes out there than mine....

Kwaka-Kid
27th June 2004, 19:59
yeah that sound is good, just the way it starts is good... pitty its european and only starts a few times before it needs fixing.. :P ohhhhhh hoooo! (sorry bro!)

6Chris6
27th June 2004, 20:01
Hi Chris,

thanks for the pics. From what I could see of it your Ninja is looking stunning. :yes: What colour is it now? Looks like a dark green with sliver or gold decals?

Glad you're back on two wheels - and what a magnificent day for it!!

Zed

Dark green?
Time for a new moniter (sp?) brother
No she's actually midnight blue pearl with chrome decals :spudbooge
And yes, the paint needed a little bit of scrubbing in as i dropped it comin out of the service station at 2kph :Oops:
But i put it down very softly and no damage *Whew*
New paint-earth magnetism is what i blame WT for mentioning :laugh:
Heres a pic, not very good sorry at night in the garage.

MadDuck
27th June 2004, 20:11
and mighty fine the paint work is on the Ninja I must say :niceone:

Thanks for the ride guys. I am still struggling with the extra power of the new bike and the tyres just dont feel right. Thanks for not making me feel like a complete ole nana...enjoyed the ride heaps. Nice of you to pop in MikeL :msn-wink:

Conclusion for me is though I will get out on my own and get to grips with the bike before holding up another ride.

27th June 2004, 20:48
yeah that sound is good, just the way it starts is good... pitty its european and only starts a few times before it needs fixing.. :P ohhhhhh hoooo! (sorry bro!)

Now now, you are confusing quality west german engineering with the bloody rubbish from blighty and italy...... :bleh:

vifferman
28th June 2004, 10:46
How about a few more details of the ride, for those of use who missed it?

Then again, maybe not...:doh:

I'd been hanging out for a ride, and Saturday dawned beautiful, clear and sunny. And I got out of bed and nearly fell on my face.:Oops: Dunno what it was; mebbe I slept funny or summat, but I was quite dizzy and couldn't walk straight, so there was no way I was going to risk going for a ride. By about midday I was fine again, and more than a bit pissed off I couldn't go out.

Never mind - maybe next time. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

Motoracer
28th June 2004, 10:58
Dark green?
Time for a new moniter (sp?) brother
No she's actually midnight blue pearl with chrome decals :spudbooge
And yes, the paint needed a little bit of scrubbing in as i dropped it comin out of the service station at 2kph :Oops:
But i put it down very softly and no damage *Whew*
New paint-earth magnetism is what i blame WT for mentioning :laugh:
Heres a pic, not very good sorry at night in the garage.

Ooooh la la, very sexy! :love2:

Kawasakis look cool in Green but I am loving that blue on your bike!

29th June 2004, 17:36
How about a few more details of the ride, for those of use who missed it?

Then again, maybe not...:doh:

I'd been hanging out for a ride, and Saturday dawned beautiful, clear and sunny. And I got out of bed and nearly fell on my face.:Oops: Dunno what it was; mebbe I slept funny or summat, but I was quite dizzy and couldn't walk straight, so there was no way I was going to risk going for a ride. By about midday I was fine again, and more than a bit pissed off I couldn't go out.

Never mind - maybe next time. I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

Are you sure it wasnt any of that devil's brew that you just cant remember drinking????

As for the ride, well, here's the part of it I went on.... Having finished exams I kinda needed a ride (apart from the commuting), and I wasnt going to hang around my friend's place as he got stressed and rushed around trying to set up for his 21st that night. So, I set off, and manage to take a premature turn, but eventually find KK's place, where he and shade are waiting, along with Chris. Good squizz at KKs dragbike, and then a bit of standing around while the maintenance happens, suspension setup and chains etc etc. Eric turns up on his zeal too....A bit after 9, we head for the closest petrol station and gas up (except for me), and do the tyre pressure thing.... all this maintenance!! Crikey!.. good thing I dont need any at the moment :P....

So, chris then takes us up through candia rd to swanson (stopping along the way to put his bike on the ground momentarily :doh:), then Waitakere Rd and thru Taupaki to come out opposite Old North Rd. Good bit of fun at 100ish thru there, with everyone keeping up nicely, a comfortable pace, but not boring at all....Right onto Peak Rd and eventually out at Kaukapakapa... A good load of corners, and a very nice cruise through the countryside... Roll into Kowcop a little after 10, where MadDuck is waiting for us with a beautiful looking SV.... At this point I have to bail, as I need to get to Ellerslie by 12 and I dont have time to get to Wellsford and back and do the other things I ought to achieve that day as well...

Twas a very pleasant ride, thanks for organising it KK :)

Kwaka-Kid
29th June 2004, 19:27
and from there we proceeded on up to Wellsford on SH16 keeping in a fairly tight group, i was at the back for say 5 or so minutes, then shaede or someone would drop back and take my place and id zap up and lead, followed by chris etc etc and we just kept rotating, it was actually great rotating around, taking a good look at others riding styles, interesting seeing how well erik managed that odd styled 250 in through the corners far better then i had expected and even smoother into the later corners on the way back. Then turned around at wellsford Caltex and came back basically! dropped MadDuck off at kowcop and carried back the same way we came... all still together till we got back to my place where we criefly fired up the BBQ and threw a couple of sausages on with some bread and had a chat for a little while, before everyone got the group photos and left
best KB org ride i been on yet i think - first one i havnt topped the 400 out on too, and still kept some great smooth pace up through old north road etc - nice work boyz, everyone sure looked comfortable (shade and his new pirelli's are working well together!)