PDA

View Full Version : The allure of Australia

Flyingpony
15th September 2006, 12:32
I'm interested in hearing about the pro and cons of moving to Australia. There are a lot of kiwi's over there and it appears safe to assume that the majority are not coming back to NZ. So, this begs the question.

What are the pro and con's of moving to Australia over staying put in NZ?

Here is my list at the moment:

The Pros

Free doctor visits & good medical system
Cheaper food & petrol
Pay approximately the same amount of income tax
Lower GST rate
Higher wages by some 33% over NZ
More job opportunities
AU Government has $2k subsidy for getting LPG installed in your cage, plus others for solar hot water heating, etc
It's warmer
It's still quite close and easy to visit family/friends in NZ (vs England is)
So many places to visit

The Cons

I'd have sell everything (would have to even if moving to Wellington/Hamilton/Auckland, so this is a mute point)

So which cities are good and which to avoid. Sydney looks like one to avoid, so that leaves Brisbane, Melbourne & Perth.

Let the comments and recommendations flow.

HenryDorsetCase
15th September 2006, 12:46
I agree: every time I go over there I want to move there. I like Melbourne over Seeeeeedney, and really enjoy the Sunshine Coast (but dont like the Gold Coast...way too trashy)

downsides: big city living. (i.e. its harder to get out of the city to do stuff)

all the bad-ass creepy crawlies that live in the underbrush. only relevant if you want to go camping, mountainbiking, walking or whatever.

(cue steve irwin joke)

lots of australians are total dickwads (then again so are a lot of kiwis, but that Ocker "Culture" is really grating).

Go for it.

The Pastor
15th September 2006, 12:50
Isnt this enough incetive for anyone to move out of nz?
http://www.1xx.co.nz/pics/colin-helenclarke-1xx-05-1.jpg

gamgee
15th September 2006, 12:51
The Pros

and another 10% of your income goes to compulsory retirement fun, which you can't claim back if you leave

cars and motorbikes are a shitload more expensive

the beaches are 100 times more crowded

you have to put up with their accent and them ripping you out for being a sheep shagger (it gets annoying after the 100th time on the first day...)

The woman don't look like a cross between a pitbull and a bush pig :dodge: thats not so much a dig at kiwi chick as a warning to sort your shit out, your letting the team down:dodge: :dodge: :dodge:

TLDV8
15th September 2006, 12:52
It might depend on what you are looking for lifestyle wise.

Imho..Sydney if you like big cities and the nightlife....Melbourne..Great city,more cultured for want of a better word..... Adelaide,nice place also but a little isolated like Perth.....Brisbane,great if you are looking for a more relaxed lifestyle in a sunny climate......Darwin,what can i say,the cultural mixing pot of Australia (Where i am headed) and the end of the trail...A vast country with great people on the whole,like anywhere it is what you make of it...Do not believe everything you read,it is not all big pay and low tax's...If you are prepared to contribute you will be fine...One thing newbies will find compared to NZ which i feel is taken for granted by many is the vastness when you get out of the main centres.It can be somewhat overwhelming first time.

Finn
15th September 2006, 12:55
3 of my close friends have moved themselves and their families over to Aus over the past 4 years. 1 to Syd, 1 to Gold Coast and 1 to Brisbane.

All of them said they are generally much happier now and wish they'd done it earlier. Their reasons are typically similar;

1) It's a more vibrant country with a lot going for it.
2) Less negativity
3) Financially better off
4) Quality & standard of living improvements
5) Better education for their kids
6) Much better weather
7) No Helen Clark
8) No maori's (that was a comment from one friend but he isn't racist cause he married a sooty and she's lovely)

A few hundred thousand kiwi's have left NZ for Australia. While it's not good for us, they feel they certainly made the right decision.

LilSel
15th September 2006, 13:59
PRO
The Australian sports commission do lots for their athletes. :yes:
(thats a pro IMO anyway lol)

Blackbird
15th September 2006, 14:24
Overall, I like both the Aussies and Australia apart from agreeing that every damned insect and animal is trying to kill you. I think I'd be equally at home in Oz (Well, Melbourne or the Sunshine Coast) or NZ.

The one thing that really bothers me from reading various science journals that come across my desk is environmental issues, particularly the increasing scarcity of pure water in the major centres. Perth is chewing up ground water reserves at a very serious rate and part of the Eastern seaboard isn't far behind. The Murray River is just a shadow of its former self as well as a lot of other major water sources. Probably ok for the next decade but after that, who knows?

It seems to be a popular pastime to bag your own country and whilst nowhere is perfect, I'm extremely proud to call myself a Kiwi, even if I did "only" come here 31 years ago from the UK. However, I'd encourage anyone to travel and get the most out of what the world has to offer them at any given time in their lives.

The_Dover
15th September 2006, 14:29
Are there any twisties?

Big Dave
15th September 2006, 14:33
Places are what you make them.

The climate is better - the motorcycling is not as good.
Some of the systems in OZ are better - health eg - small business tax laws are a pathetic maze and better here.

Socially there is virtually no difference. The pronunciation of 2 vowels and a slightly more direct manner. That's it.

Wide and brown or green and lush.

I've done better in NZ. My knees want to retire to the gold coast when the time comes.

The_Dover
15th September 2006, 14:46
My knees want to retire to the gold coast when the time comes.

Thicker shagpile huh?

Paul in NZ
15th September 2006, 14:52
Thicker shagpile huh?

Nah! Taller sheep

marty
15th September 2006, 16:07
they call 'em camels over there

Big Dave
15th September 2006, 16:14
Nah! Taller sheep

I haven't been here that long.

They are a bit fucked from football as a kid and a very long basketball career as an adult.
A cold wet change in the weather and they ache. Gold coast is 18 to 28 - 360 days of the year.

Big Dave
15th September 2006, 16:22
one thing that emigrating has taught me is to value other cultures - and my own - a lot more.
There are plenty of subtle trans tasman differences too - but ultimately, folks is folks.

The Pastor
15th September 2006, 16:24
Are there any twisties?

Not in melbourne thats for sure!

Finn
15th September 2006, 16:28
Are there any twisties?

Yip and they've got vegemite too.

SPman
15th September 2006, 16:32
one thing that emigrating has taught me is to value other cultures - and my own - a lot more.
There are plenty of subtle trans tasman differences too - but ultimately, folks is folks.

He's right, you know. When I moved here, I realised I really valued the fact that - I was a Kiwi. There are differences all around - all subtle, nothing major, just enough to make you realise you are in another culture, regardless of the general similarities.
And Ive found some great twisties - trouble is -they're all dirt with the accaisional patchy seal.
The allure of a dual purpose bike gets stronger by the day - whats that Buell like, again, Dave?

Swoop
15th September 2006, 16:33
Gold coast is 18 to 28 - 360 days of the year.

Apart from those days in summer when it gets to 40 degrees...:gob:

onearmedbandit
15th September 2006, 16:57
Yeah, a mate of mine resides in Florida, reckons the only good riding days are in the winter, even Summer nights are too hot for leathers!

Flyingpony
15th September 2006, 17:00
I've read about the lack of water in Aus and that is of a concern for me too, if they haven't already, they'll bring in water charges.

Also read in a magazine that fertile crop lands are slowly being destroyed because salty sea water is rising to the surface. Guess they'll be growing salt-water lobster's inland sometime in the future.

Heard one news report that a town actually voted if they wanted to recycle their sewage water into drinking water :sick: Couldn't they just collect rain water but then again, many parts of Aus don't get much rain.

Anyhow, I'm too young to stay in just one place for the rest of my life and haven't yet done the traditional Overseas Experience journey. I don't have a student loan, so unlike some others, I won't be leaving the tax payers with a bill.

Motu
15th September 2006, 17:14
Sounds like you'd have something to moan about even in Utopia - may as well just stay here with the other moaners who say they are going to leave ....

Marknz
15th September 2006, 17:38
Are there any twisties?

Fuck yes... and you can take part in events like http://www.snowyride.com.au/ Those roads are twisties, and it's all in a days ride from Canberra.

popelli
15th September 2006, 17:49
there is about 1/2 million kiwis in austrailia, given the nz population that is about 1 in every 8

most who go over there do not come back

these statistics speak volumes, most people who move to aus do a damn sight better than they could in NZ

NZ by comparison is lacking in opportunities and suffers from the tall poppy syndrome

Have thought several times about returning to NZ from the UK but having made that mistake once (no work opportunities & 6 months on the dole trying to find work & restrictive social scene) before I wouldn't do it again, if I was going to move back to the southern hemisphere I'd be going to austrailia

saltydog
15th September 2006, 17:50
I lived south of perth (margret river) for a year and I must say the west coasters are a different breed all together. The East coast rat race would take a bit of getting used too. Another postive is the new home subsidy they Aussie government gives to anyone building a new house....to the tune of 14k.
And remember all Australian girls are beautiful until they open there mouths.
And the guys well....will cut the grass of their best mate without a blnk of an eyelid.....

onearmedbandit
15th September 2006, 18:14
& restrictive social scene

Can you explain further?

Big Dave
15th September 2006, 18:28
Apart from those days in summer when it gets to 40 degrees...:gob:

Read that stat - hardly ever.
The circling hills moderate the temp.

MattRSK
15th September 2006, 18:35
Im going to go find out for myself. Getting a trade behind me. If I dont like it I will move on!

SuperDave
15th September 2006, 18:37
Sounds like you already have every reason to leave, but don't quite want to commit. I've been to Aus recently but I've viewed it through the eyes of a visitor, not someone who is living there so it's not really a true reflection of what it's like to live there. However I did like the place very much and preferred Melbourne over Sydney.

Personally I would say that many places are very much what you make of it.

If you've got a Kiwi passport or permanent residency (which I assume you do) then packing up and moving across the ditch isn't too complicated. It's wether or not you can be arsed. Why not move over and try it out, you could always come back if you don't like it or if it's not all you expected it to be.

Not having a student loan means it'll be even easier for you to give it a shot.

Swoop
15th September 2006, 18:40
Can you explain further?

He's talking about poms in Australia....
Enough said...

Swoop
15th September 2006, 18:43
...then packing up and moving across the ditch isn't too complicated.
It is, however, aparently the most expensive waterway in the world to ship freight across...

Big Dave
15th September 2006, 18:49
The allure of a dual purpose bike gets stronger by the day - whats that Buell like, again, Dave?

I took the FJR1300 back to Kiwi Rider this lunchtime and re-acquainted myself with the XB12X.
Absolutely loved the FJR. One sweet bike and extremely capable at 'everything'.
Jumping back on the buell was like strapping a motor to your body and flying around because there is so little of it compared.
It's the best fun bike I've had - ever.
The 17" front wheel means it's not as quick as the dedicated chook chasers off tarmac - but it excels on it.
I'm big and ugly enough to ride it like a motard - I jump it and wheelie and ....you know.

warewolf
15th September 2006, 19:00
there is about 1/2 million kiwis in austrailia, given the nz population that is about 1 in every 8When I moved over here 9 years ago, the stats were 600,000 Kiwis in Aus, and 65,000 Aussies here. Most Aussies I know over here are either motorcyclists or "great outdoors" kinda people. But statistically that probably doesn't mean much because they're the circles I move in.

lacking in opportunities and suffers from the tall poppy syndromeWhat lots of Aussies say about Aus. The grass is always greener yada yada yada...

if they haven't already, they'll bring in water charges.They have, a long time ago, just like NZ. Yes it's pretty dire and getting worse; my brother works in that arena and my wife studies it, father-in-law set policy on it. They already have industrial companies leasing farmland with water-drawing rights on the river, simply sucking up the water and trucking it to their factory. My big prediction is that in 50 years there will be 'water barons' the way we have oil barons today.

cars and motorbikes are a shitload more expensiveDunno 'bout that. Most surveys I've seen put Australia & NZ pretty close together. Triumph's advertising in AMCN was usually thousands cheaper than here. The significant difference is that there are fewer models available new due to the prohibitive costs of ADR compliance, and virtually no used jap imports.

Are there any twisties?As many as NZ, just that they are connected by longer straights.

Places are what you make them.

The climate is better - the motorcycling is not as good.What he said.

For motorcycling or outdoor recreation, NZ is much better. That's why I'm here.

soundbeltfarm
15th September 2006, 19:03
Not having a student loan means it'll be even easier for you to give it a shot.

thats all the more to stay for a bit,
get a student loan learn somthing you want learn then piss off like all the other uni students with out paying it. hahah
thats what i was going to do but stayed and paid it off first then pissed off on an O.E

Hillbilly
15th September 2006, 19:46
I'm interested in hearing about the pro and cons of moving to Australia. There are a lot of kiwi's over there and it appears safe to assume that the majority are not coming back to NZ. So, this begs the question.

The Pros

Cheaper food & petrol
Lower GST rate
More job opportunities
AU Government has $2k subsidy for getting LPG installed in your cage, plus others for solar hot water heating, etc
It's warmer
So many places to visit

The Cons

I'd have sell everything (would have to even if moving to Wellington/Hamilton/Auckland, so this is a mute point)

So which cities are good and which to avoid. Sydney looks like one to avoid, so that leaves Brisbane, Melbourne & Perth.

OK - reality time!!

1: NO FREE DOCTORS OR MEDICAL CARE!!! With a medicare card, you pay a doctor (GP) between $50 AUD and $85 AUD per 15 min consultation!! You then have to go to your local Medicare centre with the receipt and clasim back 30% of the bill. Prescriptions average $25 per item. The bonus though, is that you get 6 months worth of repeats. However, you have to pay the full price each time you fill a prescription.

2: CHEEPER FOOD AND PETROL - DEFINITELY! The price for regular 91 octaine at the moment in NSW is around $1.34 AUD a litre. However, there aere no subsidies for Diesel, which is almost as the same price as petrol.

3: TAX STRUCTURE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! The tax structure for PAYG (Pay as you go) is:
$0 - $6,000 - 0%
$6,000 - $21,600 - 17%
$21,601 - $58,000 - 30%
$58,001 - $$70,000 - 42%
$70,001 and over - 47%

4: SLIGHTLY LOWER GST GST is charged on some items and not others. The rate is 10%.

5: HIGHER WAGES - DEFINITELY! The minimum adult wage is currently set at $12.85 AUD! A Waiter earns aound $16 - $19/hr weekdays, $22/hr Saturdays and $26/hr Sundays. There's an "award" system here which scales pay according to qualifications, experience etc. The pay rates are leagally enfoecable - no individual contracts, although Mr Howard wants to change all that!

6: MORE JOB OPPORTUNITIES - DEFINITELY! However, if you want to start a business, get ready for the red tape!

7: TRUE ABOUT THE LPG SUBSIDY Not sure about the solar heating. It'll vary from state to state.

8: ONLY FROM A LINE JUST BENEATH SYDNEY! It gets bloody cold in the southern states! Also, in the Northern States, it's humid. WA and NSW seem to have the best all round weather. I live in Lake Maquarie, and as I type this it's 25 degrees, and tonight it'll be 14.

9: AYE THAT'S TRUE! Nothing to add there.

10: THAT'S TRUE TOO! It's such a big and diverse country that there's always something to do.

Now a bit of culture shock. In spite of what people believe, Australia is not one contry, but a Commonwealth of Sates. Each state is completely sovreign and independent with it's own laws and judicial system, taxation system and so on. That's why criminals in say SA need to be extradited to NSW. Laws governing licences etc are different state to state. For example, the SA governemnt has now increased licence fees for new riders to $296 for the L's. Same with the P's. It's only $68 here in NSW.

Seeing as you're from the UK, you'll need a VISA as well. Best thing to do is come and visit, check out each state, and see where you like it best.

Edbear
15th September 2006, 19:51
We go over there regularly once or twice a year, as we have family there. Spend most time between Brisbane and Gympie. Winter is great weather there and the shopping is good.

Went over in Summer and at 42 degrees, you didn't want to step outside! NEarly fell over, it was so oppressive, but even the Aussies were complaining!

Every living creature wants to kill you and you check your shoes and beds before getting into them. Can't swim in the sea because of the jellyfish, can't walk in the paddocks and bush because of the snakes and spiders. My Bro-in-LAw has 22 acres and you can only walk around his lawn or drive in the flat paddocks. Too hot for biking in Summer, see lots of bikers in shorts and T's!

Secondary roads around the area are crap - I don't enjoy driving on them.

They reckon Brisbane will run out of water in ten years, so the comments about water are very valid.

HAving said all that, the in-laws are very happy there and one Bro-in-Law will probably come back at some future time, maybe.

We love going over for visits and my wife wants to spend the Winters there and the Summers here. I could live on the Gold Coast, up Mt Tambourine! A Dr. mate and his family have moved up there, Gorgeous! and Hervey Bay is beautiful too.

Horses for courses and it depends what you're looking for but I prefer NZ, especially the scenery and the riding. Here you can ride pretty freely all year round and the country is truly stunning. We really don't tend to appreciate what we have here.

There's money to be made here, as many in this forum can attest. My new Son-in-Law is about to launch his own business and the prospects are a little scary as to the potential success! He's going to train me p to help him and I am quite excited about it. He's from Germany and is very happy to have discovered NZ! He says he simply wouldn't even try what he's going to do here, in Germany! The business is net based but he says it is unbelievably easy here to start a business by comparison with Europe.

We complain about a "Nanny State" here, you should try unravelling the maze of rules and regulations in Germany! Aus is much freer though of course, but just trying to provide a bit of balance with comments from someone who is VERY happy to be here. (Got nothing to do with my daughter, of course...!)

gamgee
15th September 2006, 20:03
Dunno 'bout that. Most surveys I've seen put Australia & NZ pretty close together. Triumph's advertising in AMCN was usually thousands cheaper than here. The significant difference is that there are fewer models available new due to the prohibitive costs of ADR compliance, and virtually no used jap imports.

Sorry, I meant the like of jap bikes and cars, I was looking at getting for example a corolla, about $1000 here, they are $2500-$3000 for the equivalent over there, I was checking out bikes to, and on average they are $1-2000 more than what they are here, i'm talking second hand japs tho

Hillbilly
15th September 2006, 21:26
I know an importer who bought a mint 1990 Mistubishi GTO twin turbo for $6,000 AUD in Japan. After gettting compliance, it sold two days later for $24,000 AUD.

BTW, It cost me $7,000 NZ to ship a container from Auckalnd to where I live now. plus cutoms fees and duty! :shit:

McJim
15th September 2006, 22:23
I originally intended moving to Australia.

What changed my mind? Lived in London for 5 years - met loads of Australians and they helped me decide against moving or even visiting Australia ....ever.

Funny though - the Australians I've met in New Zealand are a bit more subdued - maybe the kiwis keep them under control.

Hillbilly
15th September 2006, 23:09
It really depends on where they're from. The Aussies where I live are warm, helpful and really friendly. They're also polite. However, they agree that the Sydney siders are real prats! The people in Newcastle are always either on speed or depressed because the steelworks shut down and the whole world owes them. Really nasty people. Mind you, there are plenty of Kiwis like that too. :dodge:

warewolf
15th September 2006, 23:48
I don't reckon you can pigeon-hole Aussies at all. The people vary so much, to whit my experiences:

Newcastle folks I've met have been comparative chill-outs 'cos they don't live in Sydney.
Sydney seems absolutely normal to me; lived in & around Sydney for 10 years after growing up in a rural city.
Melbourne people seem a bit up themselves. Melbourne is considered more arty/stylish/cosmopolitan than Sydney (a bit like the Wellington/Auckland thing) and it seems to me that if you're not from Victoria you're immediately second-class. You don't get that in any other state.

As to not being able to go out because of all the critters: complete rubbish! That is such a kiwi scaredy-cat attitude. It doesn't stop most Aussies doing whatever they want, when they want. You just gotta learn to deal with it. Even riding the bike has critter-danger you don't get in NZ (another plus): roos, emus and wombats.

I'd rather it was 40 degrees and dry, than 15 degrees and raining sideways every bloody day. But then, where I grew up has about 30% of the rainfall of Auckland, and the typical summer peak is 45 degrees plus for a fortnight. Sure it's hot enough to complain about, but you're always getting too much weather, or too little.

slowpoke
16th September 2006, 00:17
Hmmm, just got back after 15 years in Oz. I lived in Bendigo (Victoria), Mt Isa (Queensland), 10 years in Perth (Western Australia) and seen most places in between travelling and working at various mine sites etc.
The longer I lived there the more I realised how different they are, even from state to state. The grass is not greener, it's just a different type of grass (yep, plenty of THAT type around too!).

The boom state is WA due to the demand for resources. You can certainly make a quid if you have a trade or quals that might be in demand. The problem is that you are competeing with the rest of the migrants (internal and external) for somewhere to live. This has pushed the average price of a house to over $435k AUD in Perth and you can't get tradesman for love nor money to build you one.

On top of the house price you've got stamp duty which is in the tens of thousands depending on how much you spend.
You also have to pay stamp duty when you purchase a car, also dependent on the price of the car. Rego is more expensive, but depending on where you live you might not have to get a roadworthy (WOF).
It's hard to compare grocery prices 'cos they vary from state to state but not a huge difference in main centres. If you're out bush, think again....

Brisbane has changed heaps in the last few years and turned into quite a vibrant city.
Melbourne is great, a favourite of both of us.
Adelaide is great too, but it's a bit more isolated.
Sydney didn't do much for me simply 'cos it takes so frikkin' long to get anywhere from somewhere you can afford to live.
Darwin is a shithole (don't get me started on how I really feel) with a transient population but good prospects for development VERY soon.
Perth is nice but very isolated and pricing itself outta the market, although the best work prospects.

Riding your 150 it won't bother you but the cops in the eastern states are like locusts, devouring everything. Hence while there are decent roads they are hard to enjoy on a bike.
Out west the cops aren't quite as voracious but the bendy bits are few and far between. (I had to ask 'Poos what the funny lookin' thing at Manfield was, and he explained that it was a C-O-R-N-E-R, I hope I got the spelling right)

Aussie cars are cheap but Japanese and European stuff is expensive in Oz. Bike wise new stuff seems slightly cheaper, used European is far cheaper in NZ thanks to the imports. Immobilisers are compulsory in some states and must be fitted if selling a car. It's dropped the car theft rate but forced crims to break into houses to pinch keys.

Yep, lots to see in Oz, but it's all frikkin' days away, and air travel is expensive when it's a 4000km's one way.

The education and health systems are just as rooted, with huge waiting lists. Racial problems are just as prevalent in Oz.

You can't really compare via a blanket statement: here or there is better. You have to weigh up your lifestyle, or the kind of lifestyle you'd like to have and compare more specifically. What things are important to you, bearing in mind that EVERYTHING comes with a price tag attached (not necessarily meaning money).

oldrider
16th September 2006, 00:45
I am thinking of going over to Aussie for the winter months, leaving after the Brass Monkey and coming back in September.
I want to buy a bike and leave it over there at a friends place in Sydney.
If we get a bike the same as we have got over here, all we will have to do is pack our bike boxes and take them with us as luggage and put them on the bike over there and we are on our way again.
Stay a couple of days with our friends then piss off for a while and come back every now and then, so that we don't outstay our welcome.
We have got friends and relations all over the place over there now and they are always saying come over for a spell, If we keep it short and lace it in with other places to visit as well it should work out OK.
Australia's a big enough place to keep us going for a few winters I reckon.
Should be able to pick up a reasonable TransAlp over there for a reasonable price.
What do you reckon about that idea you guys? Any comments, thoughts or Informed opinions? Cheers John.

SixPackBack
16th September 2006, 07:10
My experiences with Aus.

Moved over there in 1984 [21yrs old] and flatted with a bunch of people. As we where drinking at least 40oz of bunderberg rum between 4 of us every day for nearly a year I can only assume a good time was had, understandably memory of my sojourn is stilted.

Fast forward to 1997 and after many years of nagging, my wife young daughter and I arrived in Townsville. Well it was hot, hot and dry and to be honest with the exception of the flora and fauna pretty bloody boring!

So after 8 months we moved to the Gold Coast [not before buying a 10 foot long water python as a pet-seemed like a good idea at the time]

Gold coast yeah liked the Gold Coast, transient type of place but plenty to do. Lots of great beaches, amusement parks, wide open spaces ETC. Bought myself a Ducati Monster and discovered the countryside, there are some brilliant roads and rides around GC.

Work however for a specialist like myself was not that easy, and when I finally scored myself an appropriate postion it came with high wages, and lots of time away from home flying in and out of industrial sites all over Queensland.

The people I met totally changed my perception, warm and forthright would be an apt description and to a large degree indistinguishable from Kiwi's. The creepy crawly 'thing' is bullshit this adds to the experience not detracts. Aus has so much going for it that N.Z will never have and frankly coming home felt like leaving Auckland to visit Coromandel township in the 1970's.

N.Z has some fine attributes as well and will always be home.

warewolf
16th September 2006, 07:42
oldrider,

You are obviously not a skier! Don't have anything to add except that I've considered doing the same thing myself, except in reverse (leaving a bike in NZ when we go back to Aus) so I'm very interested to hear how it works out.

slowpoke, we looked at Perth before we came to NZ. Figured Auckland was 'closer' to home than Perth!! You don't have the option to drive but the flights are way cheaper.

bell
16th September 2006, 11:43
I was born in Brisbane and married a Kiwi and have lived in the south island for the last few years. There's some valid stuff in this thread about what you can expect but it probably pays to remember that it's been 'filtered' by real people and you're quite possibly not like them! Only you can judge whether you'll enjoy the transition and that depends on so many things other than the temperature outside, whether there's compulsory superannuation or if you'll find twisty roads in the area you choose to live in.

Go for a few weeks and check out some of the east coast and if you like things a bit quieter then avoid the big cities and head west away from the coast or north of Brisbane. Some TV personality called Daryl Somers (unsure if Hey Hey it's Saturday ever made it over here? Hopefully not...) did an ad campaign for the tourism people: You'll never never know if you never ever go or some bullshit like that. Funny enough, it's true.

Hillbilly
16th September 2006, 11:45
I'd rather it was 40 degrees and dry, than 15 degrees and raining sideways every bloody day. But then, where I grew up has about 30% of the rainfall of Auckland, and the typical summer peak is 45 degrees plus for a fortnight. Sure it's hot enough to complain about, but you're always getting too much weather, or too little.

Amen to that! it's 25 degrees here on The Lake today,
and nice and sunney. We'll probably have another 49 degree scorcher this summer, but it'a a dry heat so you get used to it.

I've killed all the deadly Redback and Funnelweb spiders around the house, and I've gotten used to the big Bluetongue lizard in the garden. Had a few Huntsmen spiders the size of my hands chase me around the house! The Aussies have this wonderful stuff in a green can called Bagon that sorts them out quickly enough. The Wolf Spiders are about three times the size of the ones in NZ and have necrotizing venom, but they're timid and stay in their burrows. The spider I hate is the Golden Orb, and the Garden Orb. These can get as big as my a hand, and have webs that are really huge. I walked outside one night without turning on the outside lights and got caught in the web of one of these "beasties". Completely covered my face. When I turned the lights on, the spider was just above my head. Bring on the Bagon! I

When the wind comes up I go for a windsurf off the back yard. Theplace is full of parrots too. Budgies, Corellas, Rainbow Lauakeets, Eastern Rosellas, Black Cockatoos, White Cockatoos - flocks of them. There's also the cruisy Pelicans and Storks. At night , the bats hang outside on the Mulberry tree. You just get used to it!

I love it here - nasties and all.

Big Dave
16th September 2006, 12:33
Hillbilly - Watch out for the White Tails - migratory and you can't get rid of them - and watch out for the termites too.
now that chlordane in illegal you need to get under the house and inspect every other month.

Hillbilly
16th September 2006, 14:37
Spotted a few. One decided it loved to live behind the CD rack! I always "bomb" the garage every three months, as that's where the windsurfers/sails and bikes are. (flatmate bought ZZR250 to commute with).
Those White Tails move a lot faster here than in NZ. Must be the warmer weather. Had a spider bite me on my thigh in NZ. It had crawled into my bed, and that was the only night I didn't check. Started off like a bee sting, but then the outside of my thigh swole up a lot. Never mind, these things happen. Been bitten on the neck too. The little bugger dropped from the ceiling.

Over here, the only serious encounter was with an adult female Golden Orb spider. I was walking up to Bonnels Bay Shops from Brightwaters where I live and as I passed a tree, one dropped onto my left shoulder. For those who have never seen one, below is a picture of a male. This thing moved down and covered by arm, but I mamged to knock it off before it bit me. They're everywhere and have necrotizing venom like the Wolf Spider and White Tail.

Isn't Australia full of wonderful wildlife. Should we tell him that kangaroos are really dangerous? What about the lethal wombat?

Lou Girardin
16th September 2006, 16:37
I've had short stays in Sydney, Melbourne and Port Douglas and the main thing you notice is the different attitude Aussies have. Even the shop assistants have a sense of enjoyment you seldom see in Auck for example.
Maybe it's the climate. Maybe it's where the population originated from, rebellious Poms and Irish, lot's of Italians and Greeks. All we got in NZ were sour-faced Protestants and anyone who fitted their mold.

Edbear
16th September 2006, 18:16
Funny though - the Australians I've met in New Zealand are a bit more subdued - maybe the kiwis keep them under control.

Haven't met BD yet, have you?

oldrider
16th September 2006, 22:28
Spotted a few. One decided it loved to live behind the CD rack! I always "bomb" the garage every three months, as that's where the windsurfers/sails and bikes are. (flatmate bought ZZR250 to commute with).
Those White Tails move a lot faster here than in NZ. Must be the warmer weather. Had a spider bite me on my thigh in NZ. It had crawled into my bed, and that was the only night I didn't check. Started off like a bee sting, but then the outside of my thigh swole up a lot. Never mind, these things happen. Been bitten on the neck too. The little bugger dropped from the ceiling.

Over here, the only serious encounter was with an adult female Golden Orb spider. I was walking up to Bonnels Bay Shops from Brightwaters where I live and as I passed a tree, one dropped onto my left shoulder. For those who have never seen one, below is a picture of a male. This thing moved down and covered by arm, but I mamged to knock it off before it bit me. They're everywhere and have necrotizing venom like the Wolf Spider and White Tail.

Isn't Australia full of wonderful wildlife. Should we tell him that kangaroos are really dangerous? What about the lethal wombat?

Crikey, aren't they boootiful (to quote a late friend of yours) but hey, come back over here and after you have been bitten by the Helen Clark spider with her tax venom a few times you will soon learn to love those harmless little guys over there! :killingme John.

slowpoke
16th September 2006, 22:31
I've had short stays in Sydney, Melbourne and Port Douglas and the main thing you notice is the different attitude Aussies have. Even the shop assistants have a sense of enjoyment you seldom see in Auck for example.

I dunno where you've been shopping bro' but Oz is NOT renowned for good customer service....you haven't flown with C*ntarse lately have you?

zadok
16th September 2006, 22:44
I've been living in Perth for the last 21 years. I'm just discovering some new twisties around the hills here. Nice weather. We had a nice 27 degrees yesterday.

Lou Girardin
17th September 2006, 12:14
I dunno where you've been shopping bro' but Oz is NOT renowned for good customer service....you haven't flown with C*ntarse lately have you?

If Aussies are bad at customer service, what does that make us?
PS. I'll never fly Quaintarse or Air Chubby (NZ) if I can avoid it.

Big Dave
17th September 2006, 12:36
Haven't met BD yet, have you?

It would need stout netting and tranquiliser darts.

Big Dave
17th September 2006, 12:39
If Aussies are bad at customer service, what does that make us?
PS. I'll never fly Quaintarse or Air Chubby (NZ) if I can avoid it.

Not a big deal on a 3 hour flight, but I was embarrassed by the food last time I went air NZ.

(edit it - I just thought of a worse meal.)

Marknz
17th September 2006, 12:59
Not a big deal on a 3 hour flight, but I was embarrassed by the food last time I went air NZ. The worst meal I've ever been served. Cells notwithstanding.

You go into most public service buildings in Au and it's like being dragged back 20 years in time... anyone remember the Gliding On program here in the early eighties?

And a tip for air travellers re food.... whenever you book a international flight, have them note that you are a vegetarian. Better food by far, and you get it served up before everyone else.

Pixie
17th September 2006, 13:53
Also read in a magazine that fertile crop lands are slowly being destroyed because salty sea water is rising to the surface.

It aint sea water,It's ground water

No one's mentioned the fascist traffic authorities

Marknz
17th September 2006, 13:59
It aint sea water,It's ground water

No one's mentioned the fascist traffic authorities

In reality, the traffic authorities are no worse than here.

Pixie
17th September 2006, 14:13

Have to agree that the service in Sydney is crap.
Qantas is no different than Air NZ,but I refuse to give Air NZ any of my money if I can help it
And the shops seem to close on the dot at 5:00 - it's like NZ 20 years ago

Al
17th September 2006, 19:14
I have been in the NorthernTerritory for about 2.5 months now, my wife has been here for 6 months. We live in Batchelor, 100km South (ish) of Darwin.
I commute to Darwin daily, 70km of my 100 km one-way commute is OPEN SPEED ROAD, ie. go as fast as you want!
Traffic is almost non-existant and we live in a tropical paradise...
Signed for a 40 acre block of land, all weather access, 18lpm bore, electricity and new fencing, with about 200 mango trees. House should be built by March 2007, so anyone who wants to come to the TOP END, accommodation available!

I like it here, people are straight forward and very few hoons/boi racers with doof-doof shit playing!

Till later

Al

slowpoke
17th September 2006, 23:56
And a tip for air travellers re food.... whenever you book a international flight, have them note that you are a vegetarian. Better food by far, and you get it served up before everyone else.

Yep, good tip, my missus is a vegie and she's always finished and watching the movie before I've even got my meal.
Except the time we used some frequent fool points to upgrade to business class on Qantas: she pre-ordered her vegie meal.....and got the old "I'm sorry ma'am (she looooved the "ma'am" bit...not!) we have no record of that request". She was ropable after looking forward to a decent meal with the upgrade! Yep, cheese and crackers for a main meal in Business class.
I've flown with them every three or so weeks for the last 6 years and it's a rare trip that I've been happy with the service. I found Air New Zealand slightly better, but the best airline I've flown with: Singapore Airlines.

Hillbilly
18th September 2006, 03:18
I found Thai Airways to be pretty good. Stewards kept topping up the wine, and the food was great too. Had a flight on Quantas - terrible service and ratshit food!

SPman
18th September 2006, 17:58
In Perth - food is generally about the same price as Auckland. Bikes - 250's are about the same price, with a slightly bigger selection of new ones, but other stuff is cheaper by about 15-20%. New ZX12R's are currently $17000
Cars - not the real good selection of cheapies you get in NZ.
BUT, the important stuff - beer, wine and spirits are shit loads more expensive - about 30-40% and you cant nip into the local supermarket for it , either. Or buy wine on a Sunday
Creepies - not a worry so far - cleared out the Redbacks and the rest. MsT drowned the scorpion on the bench with chemicals. There are snakes around, havent seen any yet but keep a lookout, especially around the water ponds.... I've found the worst agressor to be Bull ants. Been bitten twice in 2 months - once, right through a pair of socks! Barstard! Also seen the biggest White tail ever on the wall by the bosses desk - about 50mm long body! But, as long as you take basic precautions, they arent a worry.
The bird life is great. Water is a problem and is going to get more serious in the next few years. Out in the country,we are on tanks and the rainfall this winter has been way down. We were up at one of the water Dams last month and it was way low...and Perths ground water system is getting dodgier....
Aussie is a great place to live - just don't expect it to be like NZ.

Hillbilly
18th September 2006, 23:58
Yep! It's 9.55 pm here, and 15 degrees. Tomorrow we're expecting a top of 29 degrees. Beautiful blue skies too - winter is over! :yes:

35tickets
19th September 2006, 09:18
I got a few mates living in Brisbane and i lived there myself a few years ago. All my friends there say they should have moved sooner, and they are all doing really well for themselves.

When you live in whangarei and you see what a shithole this town is with its crap weather and high crime rate (come on you get killed for your mince pie in whangas) its definately more appealing in Australia

Sure every country has its crime but seriously the crimes being committed in new zealand now are more akin to stuff we would see in south africa (ive lived there too).

Call me biased but on a recent trip over the ditch to brisbane i didn't want to come home. The weather was awesome the people were great (sure you get the od kiwi basher but fuck in nz you get oz bashing all the time) and the job opportunities alone were fantastic. Brisbane courier mail employment section was the size of the saturaday nz herald (the whole thing!) houses are nicer rent was cheaper....better and bigger selection of food in the supermarket, DRIVE THRU bottle stores!!!!, I could go on

Mind you its not for everyone ... when we don't watch the news or read the newspaper and see whos been killed and you're on your bike taking the crown range road or a quick nip over to Milford sound in the summer....we've got an awesome country....its just ruined by some of the people here. And ruined by politics...

I'm self employed ....in the last 6 years the government has done nothing for self employed people or small companies. At least australia gives tax cuts and promotes self employment.

Im not hugely patriotic when i live in nz but overseas i was actually happy to say i was a kiwi

McJim
19th September 2006, 10:33
I resent having to apply for a fucken visa to visit a country that actually voted to be ruled over by the Queen of England.

FFS Oz - make it easy for me to visit and then then you'll know where the Bloddy hell I am!

I am unable to move to Oz to work either on account of the fact that I have loads of finance/management/business analysis experience but no qualifications whatsoever.

I might just take a peek when I've been in NZ long enough to be a citizen though but until then the barriers outweigh the benefits.

Big Dave
19th September 2006, 10:40
I resent having to apply for a fucken visa to visit a country that actually voted to be ruled over by the Queen of England.

You just resent having to follow the same rules as the poms.

McJim
19th September 2006, 10:44
You just resent having to follow the same rules as the poms.

Ah Dave - astute as ever - I just like to play "Grumpy Old Man" from time to time when Media Analysis gets the better of me!

Tried to give Bling but I've given out too much in the last 24 hours.

jonbuoy
19th September 2006, 10:56
IE - No eating of live young.

Big Dave
19th September 2006, 11:12
Ah Dave - astute as ever -

Nah - i've just got some pretty good mates who wear kilts.

If you ever find yourself in Nelson - call into Thunderbike Powersports and ask for Graeme.
My size, native of the north and fine a chap as works in a bike shop.
Tell him I said 'Ceeee Yooooooo! McJimmy'
And he'll counter with suitable highland expletives pertinent to residents of the antipodes and will then give you the skinny on some of the best rides in NZ.

You'd even have a fair chance of understanding him.

McJim
19th September 2006, 11:16
Nah - i've just got some pretty good mates who wear kilts.

If you ever find yourself in Nelson - call into Thunderbike Powersports and ask for Graeme.
My size, native of the north and fine a chap as works in a bike shop.
Tell him I said 'Ceeee Yooooooo! McJimmy'
And he'll counter with 'suitable highland expletives' and will then give you the skinny on some of the best rides in NZ.

I certainly will - I've got inlaws living down that way so am in Nelson at least once a year.

Big Dave
19th September 2006, 11:16
I certainly will - I've got inlaws living down that way so am in Nelson at least once a year.

cool - added a bit ^

Swoop
19th September 2006, 11:34
Should we tell him that kangaroos are really dangerous? What about the lethal wombat?

The tree dwelling Drop-bear's are pretty damn dangerous as well...:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Hillbilly
20th September 2006, 19:05
Now they're really deadly. Imagine riding along to have one those cute little fellas decides he just can't stand the taste of Gum Tree leaves any more. So he let's go of life, falling through space then Bang! Fur and guts all over your helmet, handle bars,dash and you don't want to see what's covered your pillion. .

Then there's the wonderful plant life, like the bush with the spiny leaves in Barrington Tops. This pretty piece of foliage is covered in broad leaves that have spikes with a neurotoxin. They kill you in just 20 minutes. So much for a nice walk in the bush wih shorts.

Al
21st September 2006, 09:47
The tree dwelling Drop-bear's are pretty damn dangerous as well...

The critters that jump aren't any better either... We have fitted "shoo-roos" to our RAV4, ute and to the bike. Seem to do the job!
Have seen a lot of dingo on my morning rides to work, run away with the whistle of the shoo-roo.
Biggest problem here is the feral 2 legged (sometimes legless) bastards coming home from the pub!

Al

SPman
21st September 2006, 12:49
The critters that jump aren't any better either... We have fitted "shoo-roos" to our RAV4, ute and to the bike. Seem to do the job!
Al
I reckon the Akropovic does the same job - the bouncy blighters sure bugger off as I approach......

scumdog
21st September 2006, 21:01
Hmmm, too many dumb-arsed hot-rod/modified vehicle laws and too many dumb-arsed gun laws in Aussie, I'll just stay here in this broken-arsed dumb over-regulated country I'm in for now.

Terminated
21st September 2006, 22:36
Tan me hide when I'm dead, Fred
Tan me hide when I'm dead -

Well they tanned his hide when he died Clive
And that's it hanging on the shed......

31yrs in Aussie and 23yrs in Godzone.
Lived in Perth, Melbourne, Canberrra, Sydney. Been to every other capital city.

My favourite spot was Perth and south of Perth. Was born and raised in Sydney, loved the harbour and the beaches up and down the coast.

As far as bike riding in New Zealand goes, I think that goes without saying, this is truly gods own paradise.

Hillbilly
22nd September 2006, 00:41
Yeah, tomorrow (Friday) is slated as being 31 degrees. It's still September, so it really looks like it will be another 45 - 49 degree Summer. At least it's a dry heat like Perth.

Saw a couple of Cops in Bikes setting a really great example today. OK it's warm, but short sleeved thin cotton shirts with exposed elbows and no armour?

Deano
22nd September 2006, 01:01
Are there any twisties?

Judging by the size of their chicken strips.......no. Not in Melbourne anyway.

slowpoke
22nd September 2006, 04:24
I could keep going on and fuggin' on about the differences between the two countries but it boils down to this: Ostraya and New Zelund are both great places to live, but neither of them is perfect.

Just one last observation: holidaying in a country is totally different to living there.

Drunken Monkey
22nd September 2006, 09:15
The differences are pretty small if you compare them to differences between here and say the U.K. (another popular destination), but sometimes it is enough if all you need is a change of headspace.

As for all these "the weather is better" over there, it really does depend on where you go. I can assure you that Auckland winters are milder than Melbourne winters. Christchurch winters, while too cold for a warm blooded beast like me, are thankfully usually not too wet. It does get pretty wet and windy in Melbourne during the winter.
If better weather is your driving factor, go for Brissie/Gold Coast for that 'tropical' feel and Perth for that Californian style dry heat.

McJim
22nd September 2006, 09:19
Saw a couple of Cops in Bikes setting a really great example today. OK it's warm, but short sleeved thin cotton shirts with exposed elbows and no armour?

They're obviously just trying to get rid of the chicken strips on their arms. Leave them in peace!:rofl:

terbang
22nd September 2006, 09:21
Lived in Darwin and Sydney. Great places though I prefer to live in NZ even though I have retained my investment in Syd. Yup there are some good twisties over there but generally NZ is better for riding.

Al
22nd September 2006, 09:23
As far as employment goes, I have found Australia, well the Northern Territory, to be easier to work in - no politically correct bullshit around here!

Be good now

Al

t3mp0r4ry nzr
24th September 2006, 12:08
this is a timely thread, just thinking of the whole oz shift at the moment. hotter women (make that, actual women, not something from the bush or a dairy farm, moooooh!), better wages and more opportunities for a young fella like myself.

Now, question. I on my learners but I can go for my restricted at any time. Is this gonna be worth it (spending the money then buggering off)? How do the licences work over there, can I somehow come out the other side with a full, unrestricted licence or do you simply use your nz licence other there? You know what I mean, just trying to be cunning.

Marknz
24th September 2006, 12:16
this is a timely thread, just thinking of the whole oz shift at the moment. hotter women (make that, actual women, not something from the bush or a dairy farm, moooooh!), better wages and more opportunities for a young fella like myself.

Now, question. I on my learners but I can go for my restricted at any time. Is this gonna be worth it (spending the money then buggering off)? How do the licences work over there, can I somehow come out the other side with a full, unrestricted licence or do you simply use your nz licence other there? You know what I mean, just trying to be cunning.

If you have a full license you can transfer it over. If not, then you will have to start from afresh, but the compulsory courses are very good value if you can look past the cost.

Hillbilly
24th September 2006, 22:48

Depends on which state you want to move to. They all have different laws and prices. In NSW, it's $68 to do your P plates, but in SA it's $298 just to go for your L's.

Flyingpony
25th September 2006, 12:35
Depends on which state you want to move to. They all have different laws and prices. In NSW, it's $68 to do your P plates, but in SA it's $298 just to go for your L's.
Is the NSW licence valid in SA?
Since each state has a mini government, do people need to buy a raft of lic's just to ride from one state into another?
What about vehicle registrations, need multiple plates too?

warewolf
25th September 2006, 14:18
Is the NSW licence valid in SA?You only need to be licenced in one place. Worse, these days tickets issued in another state are recorded against your licence in your home state.

[Edit: Ls & Ps sometimes aren't valid in other states, you will have to read the fine print. Full licences are sweet.]

Since each state has a mini government,Nothing mini about it. It's a real government, several would be each bigger than the NZ govt. Aus has four levels of govt: federal, state, local and at times regional. Living there you just don't realise how bureaucratic it is; reading the grief on sites like Horizons Unlimited (http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/) is a bit of a wake up call.

McJim
25th September 2006, 14:23
So where some states have Learner Approved bikes that are greater then 250 if you leave the state do you have to leave the bike at the state line and jump on a 250? or because your licence was issued by the state that allows you to ride the bigger bike you are then allowed to ride the big bike in the state that wouldn't have permitted this normally?

Big Dave
25th September 2006, 20:20
So where some states have Learner Approved bikes that are greater then 250 if you leave the state do you have to leave the bike at the state line and jump on a 250? or because your licence was issued by the state that allows you to ride the bigger bike you are then allowed to ride the big bike in the state that wouldn't have permitted this normally?

It's different from what you are used too - it's several thousand KM between some centres - not many people do it on a 250 and not many learners are up for it.

warewolf
25th September 2006, 22:03
So where some states have Learner Approved bikes that are greater then 250 if you leave the state do you have to leave the bike at the state line and jump on a 250? or because your licence was issued by the state that allows you to ride the bigger bike you are then allowed to ride the big bike in the state that wouldn't have permitted this normally?AFAIK, with full licences, if it is allowed in your home state, it is allowed as a visitor. When I was fresh out of school, some of the wilder vehicle mods not allowed in NSW were easily done in the ACT. So if you wanted to shoehorn a 1.8 or 2.0L engine into a Datsun 1000, you needed someone to register it for you in the ACT. Then you could quite legally drive it in NSW.

However, with Ls & Ps there is some doubt. When I had my Ls, I drove regularly in 4 states. At some stage, someone was horrified because they thought that Ls were not valid out of your home state. I remember trying to find out, but don't recall the result. Over there, Ls are a permit not a licence - which was the sticking point.

Try finding the answer at some of these sites:

RTA (http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/) (NSW)
VicRoads (http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/VRNE/vrne5nav.nsf) (Vic)
Urban Services (http://www.urbanservices.act.gov.au/transport) (ACT)
DMR (http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/) (Qld)

warewolf
25th September 2006, 22:13
It's different from what you are used too - it's several thousand KM between some centres - not many people do it on a 250 and not many learners are up for it.True for touring, but that's a JAFS (JAF...Sydney-sider) thing to say. :Pokey: :lol:

If you lived in Tweed Heads, Albury, or Queanbeyan (to name just a few examples), you could quite easily commute on your 250 into another state and back each day.

Hillbilly
25th September 2006, 22:24
Is the NSW licence valid in SA?
Since each state has a mini government, do people need to buy a raft of lic's just to ride from one state into another?
What about vehicle registrations, need multiple plates too?

Only for 3 months if I actually move or relocate there. After 3 months I have to apply for a SA licence. That applies to every state! That also includes the NZ licence, and you have to have held a full licence for a minimum of 2 years before they'll transfer it over.

After you change your Kiwi licence for an Aussie State Licence (NSW, WA, SA etc) no matter which state, a nice big hole gets punched in your Kiwi licence rendering it invalid!

Can't have multiple plates either. The plates must be from the state that you reside in. They have to be changed after 3 months as well if you change states.

Big Dave
25th September 2006, 22:26
True for touring, but that's a JAFS (JAF...Sydney-sider) thing to say. :Pokey: :lol:

If you lived in Tweed Heads, Albury, or Queanbeyan (to name just a few examples), you could quite easily commute on your 250 into another state and back each day.

Since when has queensland been part of australia?

warewolf
25th September 2006, 23:01
Since when has queensland been part of australia?Sorry, forgot to mention passport control! :lol:

Terminated
25th September 2006, 23:51
Sadly today's news of a rider RIP when tree branches fallen and struck him.

The ride from the coast just north of Nowra then inland over Mt Cambawarra down into and across Kangaroo Valley then up Mt Barrengarry, is a good ride.

I recall once coming back from Canberra and travelling to the Naval Airstation just south of Nowra, came down Mt Barrengarry and the fire service was flat out quelling spot fires, by the time I got across the valley and up Mt Cambawarra I looked back and the extent of the fires became truly evident.

Looks as though Sydney and greater New South Wales are in for a torrid time this summer with fires starting already.

Big Dave
26th September 2006, 01:04
Sadly today's news of a rider RIP when tree branches fallen and struck him.

Same thing happened to a mate of mine's older brother on a Norton in 1977.

Hillbilly
26th September 2006, 02:45
saw that happen to a guy that was tailgating me during a severe thunderstorm last year as I was driving out to the Hunter Valley. The road was partially flooded, and I could barely see past the bonnet, but this idiot was tailgaing me in a 4x4. Two bolts of lightning landed right beside me to my left - scared the shit of me. It was the first time I'd driven in weather like this. Further up the road, the branches were getting blown off the trees from the right, and a couple of small ones missed me. Looked in the mirror and this big branch clobbered the 4x4 in the windscreen really badly. That's the last I saw of him. Heard later after I got to waok that he was OK aoart form minor cuts and bruising, but the 4x4 was really badly damaged.

There are bushfires flaring up now, and it really looks like it's going to be a really bad season for them. A 55 yr old rider also got blown under a car near Sydney yesterday. At least that's what i've heard. Some mates went for a ride to an Italian Bike expo, and said it was a really awful day.

SPman
26th September 2006, 18:22
After you change your Kiwi licence for an Aussie State Licence (NSW, WA, SA etc) no matter which state, a nice big hole gets punched in your Kiwi licence rendering it invalid!

Not mine, they didn't!

merv
26th September 2006, 19:11
Since when has queensland been part of australia?

Dunno but I'm going there again tomorrow - yippee!!

Hillbilly
26th September 2006, 19:42
Not mine, they didn't!

Did you migrate or just visit?

davereid
26th September 2006, 22:51
You can easily get an additional copy of your NZ licence, just go and apply for it as you lost the old one. Or even better apply for a new class of licence, you get a qualification at the same time !. Let the Skippys cut the old one up. I like Australia, the insects are so big you don't need lunch. And there are f. all corners, so I can ride fast. The scenery is boring, but uppers are cheap. And Skippy chicks are cool as long as they don't talk.

Flyingpony
27th September 2006, 09:00
Your joking right ,,, that's a bit OTT cutting up your NZ Licence!?
Read one of the Aussie websites mentioned further up, but they didn't mention it'll be cut up, at least not where I read.
Had a quick peak on LTSA website and it's about $12 for a re-issue.

SPman
27th September 2006, 18:31
Did you migrate or just visit?
Officially - migrate

But - I did it at a local Shire office.

shit - my NZ lic is good til 2012!

Hillbilly
28th September 2006, 03:53
My flatmate had a hole punched in his NZ licence too by the Toronto RTA, and it hadn't expired!

Al
28th September 2006, 09:36
I have a Northern Territory license and my NZ license does not have a hole punched in it either...

t3mp0r4ry nzr
29th September 2006, 14:17
this thread has been pretty well flogged to death, so are there any last pieces of wisedom or advice for a young wipper snapper looking to cross the ditch?

Hillbilly
29th September 2006, 14:58
Come over and have a good time! The SCV or Special Category Visa allows Kiwis to live and work in Aussie indefinitely. The only things you won't be able to do is go on the doll, or get a Govt job. Licences etc have already been covered.

Just be sure you know where you want to go before you leave. You have to travel a long way to get anywhere, eg, it's approx 5,000 km from Sydney to Perth.

Flyingpony
29th September 2006, 15:28
Come over and have a good time! The SCV or Special Category Visa allows Kiwis to live and work in Aussie indefinitely. The only things you won't be able to do is go on the doll, or get a Govt job. Licences etc have already been covered.

Just be sure you know where you want to go before you leave. You have to travel a long way to get anywhere, eg, it's approx 5,000 km from Sydney to Perth.
Hmm, SCV, that's new information for me.
Knew about the dole thing, 2yr stand down I think it is, but not about the Govt jobs :weep:
Definitely knew Perth and Sydney were far apart. Melbourne to Sydney is 9-30 hours driving I've heard and that's just a dot or two below while Perth is way over the other side.

Hillbilly
29th September 2006, 15:33
Yeah, that includes Police, Railways, Power Companies, Telstra etc. There's more than a 2 yr standown too. To get the dole, you now also need to get a Permanent Resident's Visa. That costs $2,900 AUD!!

Reno
1st November 2006, 18:07
People talk about tough importing laws if you want to bring a bike across.
How tough is it?
Has anyone shipped a bike into Oz from here or from anywhere?

Charlie
3rd November 2006, 13:01
I just came to Aus myself and can confirm they used to punch holes in your NZ licence but they dont do this anymore (changed about July this year I think). I have my NZ and new Aus licence both still valid.

dickytoo
4th November 2006, 16:38
I've been here since Jan. The jobs seem quite plentiful and the pay is pretty good. I also get a government incentive called LAFHA which you get if you're over on a contract. it basically pays for your rent (up to 50% of your annual salary) and you even get a food allowance, in my case about $130 a week. That's tax free! just give your employer a copy of your rental agreement and you get the whole amount back (also tax free).

Not sure if everyone gets it and you have to ask your employer if they will provide that. you don't get it if you get a permanent job, i think, only contract. its meant to be short term but I've heard of guys getting it for over 4 years. it makes a huge difference to what you get in your pocket.

the tax rate is much higher here but the tax thresholds are also much higher meaning you have to be earning a shit load of money before it starts hurting. superannuation is compulsory at 9% of your gross. it goes into a fund and you can't take it out if you're from NZ. if you're from other countries, you can apply to the tax office for an exemption to take your super out but if your a kiwi, forget it! you can collect it when you turn 65 i think.

you need to get your medicare card otherwise mediacl treatment can make you ache in your wallet as well as your body! they punched a hole in my NZ license but I've since replaced it with a brand spankers (nz) one so i'm happy.

running a red light will cost you $408 and 3 demerit points! lose 12 in two years and you're stuffed!

I'm hoping to be back in enzed next year. i made my dosh, bought a new zx10r and all the hot bits to go with it with the proceeds of my earnings and missing the whole hunting and fishing, not to mention the racing scene thing back home.

hope that helps with some of the other bits apart from the bringing your bike over routine. BTW, second hand parts for bikes can be expensive and so are bikes!

-J-
6th November 2006, 09:12

The Pros

Cheaper food & petrol
Lower GST rate
More job opportunities
It's warmer
So many places to visit
[

The Cons

If you where going to come over I would recommend Perth, as WA is the part of the country experiencing the Resources Boom. However that also effects prices on housing as well.

I've been here since Jan. The jobs seem quite plentiful and the pay is pretty good. I also get a government incentive called LAFHA which you get if you're over on a contract. it basically pays for your rent (up to 50% of your annual salary) and you even get a food allowance, in my case about $130 a week. That's tax free! just give your employer a copy of your rental agreement and you get the whole amount back (also tax free).

I have lived in Aus all my life and have never ever heard of that, must be an immigration thing.

Cajun
6th November 2006, 10:20
People talk about tough importing laws if you want to bring a bike across.
How tough is it?
Has anyone shipped a bike into Oz from here or from anywhere?

Friend just has shiped his vn2000 over, you will get changed duty on newer model bikes, his was a 2005 vn2000.

dickytoo
6th November 2006, 12:29
If you where going to come over I would recommend Perth, as WA is the part of the country experiencing the Resources Boom. However that also effects prices on housing as well.

I have lived in Aus all my life and have never ever heard of that, must be an immigration thing.

Yep, it's a gov't thing to help fill vacancies in certain areas. my cousin is being offered it and he's coming over as a civil engineer. i get it because i work in IT. as an ozzie, you wouldn't get it unless you moved interstate. i know a guy from perth who is working in sydney and is milking it for all its worth. he keeps his voting registration in WA and so it looks like he is only contracting in Sydney and fully intends to return to WA in the future.

the main thing about the allowance is that the recepient declares his intention to return to his home country (State?) and if you take permanent residency, you lose it. As a NZer we don't have to take residency but we get most of the benefits such as medicare etc so that is pretty good.

There are some hooks though. I've included a link that explains a bit more about it.

http://www.brainbox.com.au/brainbox/home.nsf/0/AD47B03FD18BEC0D49256D5E00369615?opendocument

maniac
11th November 2006, 17:35
Maybe it's the climate. Maybe it's where the population originated from, rebellious Poms and Irish, lot's of Italians and Greeks. All we got in NZ were sour-faced Protestants and anyone who fitted their mold.

I agree, I've stayed in Melbourne, Sunshine Coast and Adelaide, All working also, and have to admit the people over there were consistently well mannered and genuine people. Never had any problems with the wild life even with working outdoors in places that only see people maybe twice a year apart from a white tail that was about twice the size of any thing I'v ever seen over here.

Must say Adelaide is my fav and would be my choice if I moved permenently.

everythings big and everything bites, pays to do a first aid course that deals with bites etc if your concerned.

Hillbilly
13th November 2006, 16:33
Never had any problems with the wild life even with working outdoors in places that only see people maybe twice a year apart from a white tail that was about twice the size of any thing I'v ever seen over here.

everythings big and everything bites, pays to do a first aid course that deals with bites etc if your concerned.

Seeems all the nasties are in NSW, NT and northern QLD. Was in the back yard the other day an spied a Hornet, which was about twice the size of a NZ wasp sting and drag away a Huntsman the size of my hand. This was the sort of thing I got used to seeing on Nature Documentaries etc, but seeing it happen I front of youe eyes is something else.

You get used to it though, like regularly wiping out the Redbacks. Got in invite from a lady friend to visit NSW the Reptile Park not far from Gosford. I'm looking forward to getting a Python around my neck, just to see what a real snake is like to hold.

t3mp0r4ry nzr
13th November 2006, 17:33
I agree, I've stayed in Melbourne, Sunshine Coast and Adelaide, All working also, and have to admit the people over there were consistently well mannered and genuine people. Never had any problems with the wild life even with working outdoors in places that only see people maybe twice a year apart from a white tail that was about twice the size of any thing I'v ever seen over here.

Must say Adelaide is my fav and would be my choice if I moved permenently.

Im in melbourne at the moment and one of the first things that has struck me is how the ockers are so damn friendly! I never get any sort of attitude what so ever when in a store, just greatservice as if the people actually enjoy their jobs, not just going to work to eat there lunch and text there mates. I got into drinking games the other night with a bunch of ockers and they were treating me like there best mate straight away.OK their beer is shit but they are good buggers. Also their newspresenters actually talk normally and not like they have a broomstick inserted up the arse talking with a fake british/posh accent. They are allround an easier going bunch of people than than kiwis and I didnt think that was possible.

Gas prices are at $1.08AU at the moment and bikes are on average $2k cheaper.Heaps of bikes here in Melbourne but they all sport the most embarrassing chicken strips possible.

I havent encountered any crawlys yet and touch wood I dont. Although the flys are persistant buggers (ive got the aussie wave mastered).

I miss the green, twisties and the bike though. Although with practically free public transport to any where you want to go, the bike can be kept for toy here.

t3mp0r4ry nzr
13th November 2006, 17:34
oh yeah, the woman are the definition of stunning:rockon:

SPman
13th November 2006, 18:45
oh yeah, the woman are the definition of stunning:rockon:

Stunningly facile..........!

Hillbilly
13th November 2006, 19:40
The real truth is that this is what your average Aussie chick now looks like:

It's thos "Cheekin Schitzels and Cheeps wif the Cheekin Salt..."

SixPackBack
13th November 2006, 20:06

It's thos "Cheekin Schitzels and Cheeps wif the Cheekin Salt..."

Hot n' lardy.......SixPack likes:love:

Roj
15th November 2006, 11:24

The mind boggles:gob:

mstriumph
15th November 2006, 15:26
i'm not aurstralian so not involved
and not a bloke so probably shouldn't comment

....... but they are mostly better-looking than that, methinks :yes:

aurstralian BLOKES on the other hand ......... :shutup:

Al
15th November 2006, 15:37
Yeah, even here in the "TERRITORY" they look a lot better!
Mind you, there are also a lot of feral-looking people about too!

Al

Hillbilly
22nd November 2006, 18:59
That's what the average sheila in rooral NSW looks loike! Fulla big macs, Dominos' KFC, and lots BEER!

One thing that's annoying the shit out of me is suffocating because of all the smoke from the bush fies. Looks like a foggy day in Auckland, but burns the nostrils, stings the eyes, and adds to the heat. Interesting to look at an "orange world".

Drunken Monkey
22nd November 2006, 22:09
Im in melbourne at the moment and one of the first things that has struck me is how the ockers are so damn friendly!...

I don't know what changed. Me. Time. Them. Time away. It was not particularly bad growing up in Melbourne, but you wouldn't have rated people as the friendliest people in the world back in the day. Things are certainly different now.

I suspect it has, at least in part, something to do with an underlying attitude difference. The kind of thing where Melbournians thought - WTF, we're getting left behind here; they went after things like the F1, MotoGP, Tennis, Car shows, whatever...a sort of 'proud about Melbourne and what we can do attitude'.

Auckland? Well, we've lost the V8s, the America's cup, and it looks like we're already on a hiding to nothing for the rugger as well. There is a rank smell in the air here, and it's getting worse.

Heaps of bikes here in Melbourne but they all sport the most embarrassing chicken strips possible.

That's the funniest part! And boy, do they sport some seriously large chicken strips there.

Maybe head for a trip out east, to Dandenong and then head north from Warrandyte up through the Yarra valley.

SixPackBack
23rd November 2006, 06:28
I don't know what changed. Me. Time. Them. Time away. It was not particularly bad growing up in Melbourne, but you wouldn't have rated people as the friendliest people in the world back in the day. Things are certainly different now.

I suspect it has, at least in part, something to do with an underlying attitude difference. The kind of thing where Melbournians thought - WTF, we're getting left behind here; they went after things like the F1, MotoGP, Tennis, Car shows, whatever...a sort of 'proud about Melbourne and what we can do attitude'.

Auckland? Well, we've lost the V8s, the America's cup, and it looks like we're already on a hiding to nothing for the rugger as well. There is a rank smell in the air here, and it's getting worse.

That's the funniest part! And boy, do they sport some seriously large chicken strips there.

Maybe head for a trip out east, to Dandenong and then head north from Warrandyte up through the Yarra valley.

No corners near Melbourne?

SPman
23rd November 2006, 13:14
Probably about as many as near Perth!

I'm trying to lose the CS s on a nice little 30k corner on Guildford Rd.........

McJim
23rd November 2006, 13:22

Cones, Carpark, Cane it ....no more chicken strips.

gijoe1313
24th November 2006, 11:59
Cones, Carpark, Cane it ....no more chicken strips.

Or stick it on a paddock stand and buff with sandpaper on 1st gear? :lol:

SPman
24th November 2006, 13:29
Damn!

My secret is out.....