PDA

View Full Version : The Kiwi bird is a stupid national mascot

Flatcap
15th September 2006, 19:49
I am going to slaughter a sacred cow here and say the kiwi is an embarassment as a national mascot. Why have the equivalent of the Dodo as the national bird? are we fat arse nocturnal chickens? are we lone forest floor combers

I think the national bird should be the Kea - smart alec larrikans who take great joy in dismantling cages while the owners are skiing. Resplendent with a flash of crimson under the wing. Gregarious and social - enjoying the company of his Kea mates in a round of piss taking.

The Kea is much more in line with what I think it is to be "kiwi" - what do you lot think? or should I just shut up an have another scotch......

Macktheknife
15th September 2006, 20:05
It's called misdirection, we don't like to be mistaken for Aussies.
When oversea's my mates and I had a rule, if you are in trouble, crank up the accent and tell everyone you're Australian! lol

Lou Girardin
15th September 2006, 20:07
The Kiwi - flightless, toothless, utterly bloody useless.
Or, the Kiwi, eats roots shoots and leaves.

idb
15th September 2006, 20:10
Or, the Kiwi, eats roots shoots and leaves.

I've never understood that...don't they eat worms?

WINJA
15th September 2006, 20:17
I Saw On A Bbc Program That The Kea Is One Of The Most Intellegent And Analytical Animals In The Whole World, It Would Be A Good Choice For A Mascot

Flatcap
15th September 2006, 20:23
I Saw On A Bbc Program That The Kea Is One Of The Most Intellegent And Analytical Animals In The Whole World, It Would Be A Good Choice For A Mascot

Yep - you are right on the money there Winja. A true reflection of us all (well, me at least)

Edbear
15th September 2006, 20:25
Yep - you are right on the money there Winja. A true reflection of us all (well, me at least)

And me...!:yes:

RT527
15th September 2006, 20:40
Me thinks your onto something here, I absolutly agree , the Kea it is then!.

MidnightMike
15th September 2006, 20:44
Die cage die!! http://derekrose.com/images/kea-car-c.JPG Maybe we should rename Kiwibiker Keabiker then. Not gonna work I know, i just like how they ruin cars.

andrea
15th September 2006, 20:49
frankly who gives a fuck, i hear that in india somewhere they dont kill rats cause they say that they are their relatives or something. i dont think u killing a cow is going to make a difference but if you do we should organise a big kb get together and shove a steel bar or something up the cows arse and roast it over an open fire

Flatcap
15th September 2006, 20:53
frankly who gives a fuck, i hear that in india somewhere they dont kill rats cause they say that they are their relatives or something. i dont think u killing a cow is going to make a difference but if you do we should organise a big kb get together and shove a steel bar or something up the cows arse and roast it over an open fire

I wasn't thinking of killing any kiwis, but now that you mention it, I would think they would be quite gamey, and you would get a good feed off one....

Maha
15th September 2006, 21:00
Maybe we should rename Kiwibiker Keabiker then. Not gonna work I know, i just like how they ruin cars.

Now theres a thinking man.....:laugh:

andrea
15th September 2006, 21:10
I wasn't thinking of killing any kiwis, but now that you mention it, I would think they would be quite gamey, and you would get a good feed off one....

hmmm:mellow: ive never thought of that one, hmm could do couldddd doooo:mellow:

Street Gerbil
15th September 2006, 21:19
frankly who gives a fuck, i hear that in india somewhere they dont kill rats cause they say that they are their relatives or something.
Actually, it is not a rat but rather an indian gerbil (http://www.gerbils.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gerbils/indica.htm), whom they believe is a vehicle for one of their deities.

Big Dave
15th September 2006, 21:22
At least you don't shoot the animals on the coat of arms and feed them to your dogs.
I've bagged a dozen skippys on a good night.

erik
15th September 2006, 21:39
I am going to slaughter a sacred cow here and say the kiwi is an embarassment as a national mascot. Why have the equivalent of the Dodo as the national bird? ...

I think the national bird should be the Kea...

These two pages:

http://www.nzs.com/about-new-zealand/the-kiwi.html
http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/E/EmblemsNational/TheKiwi/en

say that the kiwi was first used as an emblem by soldiers in the late 19th century and has become more widely known since then.
Maybe they chose it because kiwi's are good at sneaking around at night in the bush - something I'd guess might come in handy as a soldier?
Overseas in WW1 and 2 the kiwi might have provided NZ troops with a more unique emblem than a kea since many other countries have parrots, but few (do any?) have ground dwelling birds like the kiwi.

Flatcap
15th September 2006, 21:47
These two pages:

http://www.nzs.com/about-new-zealand/the-kiwi.html
http://www.teara.govt.nz/1966/E/EmblemsNational/TheKiwi/en

say that the kiwi was first used as an emblem by soldiers in the late 19th century and has become more widely known since then.
Maybe they chose it because kiwi's are good at sneaking around at night in the bush - something I'd guess might come in handy as a soldier?
Overseas in WW1 and 2 the kiwi might have provided NZ troops with a more unique emblem than a kea since many other countries have parrots, but few (do any?) have ground dwelling birds like the kiwi.

Well, the saying "sitting duck" was coined for and easy target, but at least a duck can fly off if required.

I cannot understand why the airforce would use the Kiwi on it's roundel - is this not stupid? a flightless bird?........on second thought....

The Pastor
15th September 2006, 22:25
I like the kiwi it has a cool shape to it.

I'd be proud to wear it on my shirt.

andrea
15th September 2006, 23:24
Actually, it is not a rat but rather an indian gerbil (http://www.gerbils.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/gerbils/indica.htm), whom they believe is a vehicle for one of their deities.

damn, i stand corrected, oh well they are all the same to me all rodents

Hillbilly
15th September 2006, 23:30
I once has an American ask me "Tell me, what kind of nation chooses a blind, flightless bird as it's national symbol?" Well at least it isn't bald!

Big Dave
16th September 2006, 00:47
Or the French Fowl. Whats up with a chicken?

andrea
16th September 2006, 07:36
im with renegade master i like the kiwi, YAWNNNN!!!!

DingDong
16th September 2006, 07:46
Its too late to change it now... we've all grown up with it and it will always hold national pride...

The silver furn is'nt the best either... a Koru (symbolises new life) would have been a better choice... silver furns are green on top and white on bottom... after a few days they shivel up and fall apart.

we change that either

SlashWylde
16th September 2006, 09:41
The Kea is much more in line with what I think it is to be "kiwi" - what do you lot think? or should I just shut up an have another scotch......

Aggreed, the Kea would be a great mascot. Have another scotch ;)

SlashWylde
16th September 2006, 09:43
Or the French Fowl. Whats up with a chicken?

Don't get me started :angry:

;)

Skyryder
16th September 2006, 16:27
I am going to slaughter a sacred cow here and say the kiwi is an embarassment as a national mascot. Why have the equivalent of the Dodo as the national bird? are we fat arse nocturnal chickens? are we lone forest floor combers

I think the national bird should be the Kea - smart alec larrikans who take great joy in dismantling cages while the owners are skiing. Resplendent with a flash of crimson under the wing. Gregarious and social - enjoying the company of his Kea mates in a round of piss taking.

As nice as the kea looks it's just another parrot. The kiwi is an original bird that in my mind epitimizes New Zealanders. We are unique. We have our own flavour of National identity.

Skyryder

Skyryder
16th September 2006, 16:38
Its too late to change it now... we've all grown up with it and it will always hold national pride...

The silver furn is'nt the best either... a Koru (symbolises new life) would have been a better choice... silver furns are green on top and white on bottom... after a few days they shivel up and fall apart.

we change that either

You are right about the silver fern. But it is as kiwi as the kiwi. The Koru is now recognised as a New Zealand emblem.

Skyryder

Lou Girardin
16th September 2006, 16:46
As nice as the kea looks it's just another parrot. The kiwi is an original bird that in my mind epitimizes New Zealanders. We are unique. We have our own flavour of National identity.

Skyryder

I guess we're lucky they didn't choose the Huhu grub.

Skyryder
16th September 2006, 18:37
I guess we're lucky they didn't choose the Huhu grub.

Never thought of that one. Another reason why the Kiwi is so right for us.

There are plenty of kiwis who do like the Huhu grub, like the bird, but I'm not one of them.

Skyryder

Kickaha
16th September 2006, 19:14

Those little green fuckers tried to eat one of my motorbikes at Aurthurs pass once

blacksheep
16th September 2006, 19:27
I wasn't thinking of killing any kiwis, but now that you mention it, I would think they would be quite gamey, and you would get a good feed off one....imagine the fried egg sandwich mmmmm:gob:

Swoop
16th September 2006, 20:50
When oversea's my mates and I had a rule, if you are in trouble, crank up the accent and tell everyone you're Australian! lol
Buahahaha!!! Another person doing that!
I had a ball of a time, around europe years ago, doing just that...