PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed. Head shake problems

Dai
18th September 2006, 09:42
I need some advice. The bike is a GS1200 SS and I have headshake problems.

I thought it was the front tyre but this weekend I replaced both tyres and the chain and still have the problem.

In my mind I feel I should go for heavier fork oil and possibly a fork brace. Steering dampener may be in order also.

Where abouts in Auckland can I get the two latter items.

Got to get rid of these shakes, my arms are taking a real hammering.

No problems in acceleration just when I am slowing down.

Help

Dai.

MSTRS
18th September 2006, 09:48
Steering damper won't fix that - they are to control a tendency towards tank slappers. Sounds more like a bearing problem - in the head stock.

SARGE
18th September 2006, 09:51
thats your steering head bearings man ..

Dai
18th September 2006, 10:13
Damm I didnt think of that.

Should have.

Wish I could claim it was a blonde moment but to do that implies I have hair.

More monies to lay out. Job not tooo hard . Did it on my ZZR1100 once.

Still going to go for a heavier weight oil in forks.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Dai

riffer
18th September 2006, 10:33
Sounds a bit like my problems.

I've rebuilt the entire brakes system thinking it was a bit off.

I'm leaning towards steering head bearings myself.

I'll let you know if it fixed my problems.

Dadpole
18th September 2006, 20:12
Usual suspect are:
Tyres - wear & pressure
Wheel alignment
Bearings - Steering head & swingarm

Some bikes seem to be very sensitive to wheel alignment issues

w650 fan
21st February 2007, 03:43
My neighbor has 'GUZZI V65 that gets the tank slaps at around 120-130 k's, has had tyres changed, changed fork oil, brake disks checked for uneven wear, front wheel checked for true and balanced and has only noticed a slight decrease in the problem. We have tried to see if the problem will go away at a higher speed, but the slaps get too violent. I weigh 100 kg's and not a weak lad, and I can't make it stop slapping. Only thing not tried so far is the bearings and races in the headstock, although when on the double stand, the steering doesn't track to centre as when normally the bearings do when worn. Any other advice on what we can try?. The bike has been restored by a previous owner, and I have a sneaking suspicion it may have a slight bend in the frame, although the whole thing was stipped to be powder coated. Wouldn't you check for that while it's apart?. Any way, any input from wiser heads than ours would be welcome.

DEATH_INC.
21st February 2007, 05:07
Still do the head bearings, they'll cause problems sometimes even though you can't feel 'em with it jacked up. Remember, there's no load on the lower race, which wears, when it's off the ground. Just do 'em, it's not that expensive, and don't tighten 'em too much.

Paul in NZ
21st February 2007, 06:28
My neighbor has 'GUZZI V65 that gets the tank slaps at around 120-130 k's, has had tyres changed, changed fork oil, brake disks checked for uneven wear, front wheel checked for true and balanced and has only noticed a slight decrease in the problem. .

Check it has the factory recommended tyre sizes. Particularly important if it's running a 16" front. Never be tempted to but bigger tyres on - funny (or not) things happen.

Check the rear shocks (no seriously) and that the swing arm is installed properly. On most guzzis there are two 'stub axles' that screw through the frame into the swing arm. These need to be tensioned correctly (bugger all free play) but the arm and U/J can be aligned properly. Check the U/J carefully as the small blocks only have 1 U/J and if it goes - VERY bad things happen.

Let me know the year and model and I can ask more knowledgable folks.

w650 fan
22nd February 2007, 01:44
Hi, Thanks for the advice. Mike has just rebuilt the rear shocks. I will pas on your thoughts, and get back to you with the yaer and model. Cheers.