PDA

View Full Version : AUCKLAND - SUNDAY 27th "SLOW" RIDE

R6_kid
23rd June 2004, 19:59
Hey guys,
meet at holeshot bmw/suzuki in Barry's Pt road at 10:30 on SUNDAY. Will depart around 11 heading north via beach road and east coast road to silverdale, then on to orewa for lunch. I am planning on being boring and returning the same way, but hey, its a nice road :)
OR
Possibly meeting up with the others on the run at a set place/time and ending up somewhere completly different, we'll see.

My estimates would be a return to takapuna at around 1:30/2 oclock.
Im not planning on setting a fast pace, but im alrite with the corners eventhought my front tire has almost no tread. Reply to this if your interested
ALL ARE WELCOME

Posh Tourer :P
23rd June 2004, 20:56
I will be there if I'm awake by then. I guess I'll only get to sleep at about 3 or 4am.

May divert via the gravel from waiwera across to helensville on the way home.

phase
23rd June 2004, 22:24
I'm in if the weather isn't too shit.

angle
24th June 2004, 09:18
Like phase, I'll come along if the weather permits it.

R6_kid
24th June 2004, 16:55
sweetas guys, i'll post in the morning around 8 as to whether or not it will be on. Im not a wet weather person, but i will be keen if its only a bit cloudy.
all hope for sun!!!
:sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny::sunny:

aff-man
25th June 2004, 02:25
Don't know thwe road. Is it twisties or straights cause i'm into keeping it at 100km/h.... all the way :Punk: . Gotta admit the 250 loves the corners

R6_kid
25th June 2004, 07:43
half and half. Beach road is a residential-ish area, 50km twisties, then east coast is relatively straight, we were taking the corners up round 140km no probs.

Badcat
25th June 2004, 08:10
maybe i'll bring the vanvan!
it tops out at 100kph though - would i be too slow?
my other option is thye gs1200ss.....
be nie to meet you properly though.
k

phase
25th June 2004, 08:14
Isn't that whole road a bit residential and busy? Wouldn't SH16 be a better idea? :whistle:

R6_kid
25th June 2004, 15:49
once you get out of beach road its fine, if you want a good opinion of Beach Road ask our good friend Two Smoke, he appeared to be having a great time taking race lines through most corners, of course, i have a fair idea of where the nasty spots are now, and i wont be pushing it too hard.

As for the vanvan, thats fine, you might get left behind on the straights though, im planning on pushing it towards 130km maybe 140 on east coast road, depending on whos there, just that the road feels a bit more comfortable up there.

ALSO NOTE:
I MAY CHANGE THE START TIME TO 11:30, i have a friend who wants to join in on his FXR, be his first ride, so im keen to get him along. I will post on sunday morning as to whether or not the time has changed, and if the ride is going ahead, weather looks good today, lets hope it holds for sunday!!!

SPman
26th June 2004, 14:07
Hey guys,
meet at holeshot bmw/suzuki in Barry's Pt road at 10:30 on SUNDAY. Will depart around 11 heading north via beach road and east coast road to silverdale, then on to orewa for lunch. ...
Im not planning on setting a fast pace, but im alrite with the corners eventhought my front tire has almost no tread. Reply to this if your interested
ALL ARE WELCOME
Well, that should fill in 25 mins or so..........:ride:

MikeL
26th June 2004, 20:12
I MAY CHANGE THE START TIME TO 11:30... I will post on sunday morning as to whether or not the time has changed, and if the ride is going ahead, weather looks good today, lets hope it holds for sunday!!!

Forecast weather (FWIW) is better earlier in the morning. Would advise an earlier start if possible...

Kiwi
26th June 2004, 20:25
yep forcast shitty for the afternoon

Start 10????? :wait:
Kiwi

Two Smoker
26th June 2004, 20:52
If MR's ride doesnt happen, ill be there rain or shine :niceone: And i agreee, earlier the better so we can get the good weather and dry roads :niceone:

Oh and MikeL, was that you i saw in Onehunga on the CB-1 a few days ago, at the intersection of Trafalgar? Also will you be bringing the XJR?????? I really want to have a look at that :niceone:

MikeL
26th June 2004, 21:51
Oh and MikeL, was that you i saw in Onehunga on the CB-1 a few days ago, at the intersection of Trafalgar? Also will you be bringing the XJR?????? I really want to have a look at that :niceone:

Must have been. Nobody else in Auckland rides a CB-1 (little orphan... :weep: ). I live just past the intersection, in the big white house at the corner of Quadrant and Normans Hill. What were you doing in Onehunga??

I took the XJR out today on the ride with KK. Was thinking of taking the CB-1 tomorrow (poor little thing, it gets out so rarely...)
But don't mind slumming it again on the XJR if you want to see it...

Two Smoker
26th June 2004, 21:55
I live quite close to Onehunga, it was on a Tuesday and i was on my way to my Restricted test..... You dont have to bring the XJR because i dont know if i will be there or not :wacko: I saw a CB-1 in Red Baron too :blink:

MikeL
26th June 2004, 22:04
I live quite close to Onehunga, it was on a Tuesday and i was on my way to my Restricted test..... You dont have to bring the XJR because i dont know if i will be there or not :wacko: I saw a CB-1 in Red Baron too :blink:

I assume the test was successful??

If you're passing by, call in some time. Not that many bikers in Onehunga...

That CB-1 in Red Baron is the first one for sale in Auckland since I bought mine 2 yrs ago. Jap import, obviously. Some poor sod will be seduced by the sleek, contemporary styling, the superb engineering, the stunning performance... Wait till he tries to find spare parts... :no:

Two Smoker
26th June 2004, 22:09
Yep the test was successful, they said i was a good rider, with good hazard identification, hazard avoidance and road postion...... little do they know hehehe :shifty:

Will pop in when ive got some time :niceone:

R6_kid
27th June 2004, 08:48
if you guys read this before you leave, i will try and depart holeshot by 10:30. Its a bit late notice, had a late nite, otherwise would've tried to leave earlier. As for the weather, we can make a decision on the way north. I'm low on cash, otherwise i would have gone for a much longer ride...
damn weekday commuting.

MikeL
27th June 2004, 19:22
Shame about the rain. After stopping to put on my plastic pants I headed back to Akl on the motorway, and after only a few km the rain stopped and it was fine all the way back. In fact after I got home I had time to wash the bike and my car before the rain arrived. Perhaps we should have headed south instead of north?
Anyway thanks for organizing the ride, Gareth, and I'm looking forward to the next one.

angle
28th June 2004, 10:08
Since I had several things to do in the morning I could not make it at 10:30. I rode out thinking that I'll get there around 10:40, but as I got onto the motorway a police car followed me all the way to Takapuna :Police: , so I had to watch my speed, as a result, got to Holeshot at 10:50. Obviously there was nobody there :bye:, so I went on to Whangaparaoa via East Coast Road, then to Army Bay, and then headed back via the motorway, it was raining all the way there (from Takapuna) and back. :disapint:

aff-man
28th June 2004, 21:14
it was pissing outside my house so decided not to risk it (with my trck record anyway) :brick: