PDA

View Full Version : Internet Overlap

TLDV8
19th September 2006, 08:58
Can someone explain this.......

For some time i have been getting charged for overlap by Xtra (Supposed two connections online at the same time)

They asked me who i had given my password to,no one i tell them..No i havn't accessed my PC from an another PC... No,i am the only person to use this PC..No sign of any Trojan etc etc...... I change my Xtra password and there can be overlap within One Hour.
What i have done for the last few days is change my Xtra password every time i come online so there is no link to this PC,the only thing that could be gotten would be the old password.?

How can this be explained.

I checked yesterdays usage.

Sep 18 2006 2:34PM Dial-Up Internet access 0:52:56 0.00 + GST
Sep 18 2006 2:34PM Overlapping usage charge 0:52:28 1.94 + GST

Sep 18 2006 5:03PM Dial-Up Internet access 0:06:22 0.

But what i have also added is a Sygate Firewall on the weekend which moniters all inward/outward traffic.According to Xtra there is some 52 minutes of Overlap when i wasn't even online...So there are now two other PC's online out there on my connection.

50414 09/18/2006 14:29:21 Allowed 10 Outgoing TCP www.kiwibiker.co.nz
50415 09/18/2006 17:04:37 Allowed 10 Outgoing TCP xtramsn.co.nz

What am i missing.... Any answers appreciated. :confused:

Wasp
19th September 2006, 09:08
beats me, i think my dad had some problem like this a couple of years back on his paradise dial-up. cant remember what happened but i know for sure it wasnt his fault - he left the computer unplugged and actually OFF for the entire day.

dhunt
19th September 2006, 10:08
I think you've done pretty much all you can do really.

Can you get xtra to change your username? Thats about all you can do or change ISP's is the next thing after that. Can you login with the old password still - Just try to make sure you can't? Can you ask xtra to not allow multiple users online simultanously?

Hope that helps.

ManDownUnder
19th September 2006, 10:23
Per the former post - what you should do is test xtra. Have them change your password, and tell no-one what it is.

Turn your PC off for one day a week (or whatever), and have them send you the usage logs for the month.

Give it a while so any "occasional" occurances will show up.

Also note what times you connect to the net on a couple of days so you can synchoronise events.

Compare your notes with theirs. See if any show up that are anomalous, and have them explain what's going on. Get a credit on the overlap charges you had to pay thus far, and escalate it to consumer or Commerce Commission if they don't. Don't worry about arguing with them. That takes too long, simply tell them to sort it within a week.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

John Banks
19th September 2006, 11:18
If it's really a problem, they're able to trace the phone number that the usage was dialled from.

Hoon
19th September 2006, 11:51
Either someone is getting your account info somehow or Xtra have stuffed up. Before you go blaming Xtra you need to eliminate you and your PC as the problem.

Turn PC off and leave off.
Phone Xtra and change password.
After a day turn PC back on, log in and check logs.

If you see activity over the previous day then the problem is leaning towards Xtra. The longer you leave it off then the more certain you can be.

Check through the logs so far and see if you can put together a history of these overlaps so you can judge what a suitable length of time would be.

TLDV8
19th September 2006, 12:20
Either someone is getting your account info somehow or Xtra have stuffed up. Before you go blaming Xtra you need to eliminate you and your PC as the problem.

If you see activity over the previous day then the problem is leaning towards Xtra. The longer you leave it off then the more certain you can be.

Check through the logs so far and see if you can put together a history of these overlaps so you can judge what a suitable length of time would be.

How could my password be obtained if i change it everytime i come online ? (I changed it on the Extra site before coming here) .. I am going to take my PC in for a check after posting this.

I phoned them once again....... No the problem can not be at Xtra..You have to file a form which takes 6 to 8 weeks to get a result and we may charge you $200..No we can not explain how the overlap is the same down to the second in more than 20 cases... No we can not simply follow the evidence you have provided,that would be a breach of privacy to the crim...No we can not explain how 2 connections at the same time were made as in my first post when you were not online.... Yes,my Dial Up connection cost $51 last month......Even if my password was changed as you recommend,Xtra will take no action,they have all but told me that... You must use the form,wait up to 8 weeks and pay the Overlap in the mean time...which may or may not be refunded (I told them i would not be here and will have terminated my connection by then)..you then get a robotic reply,you must use the form.........

Swoop
19th September 2006, 12:33
Are telecon's profits a bit on the low side at the moment....:msn-wink:

I bet they didn't expect you to check your bill...:yes:

Mom
19th September 2006, 12:47
Are telecon's profits a bit on the low side at the moment....:msn-wink:

I bet they didn't expect you to check your bill...:yes:

You cynic you

I had a similar problem a year or so back using xtra dial up, I complained, told them there is no way it was me creating a double dip situation and refused to pay the charges. They refunded my money and I never got double billed again, I did wonder at the time if it was a case of .....she will never check...:innocent:

Did I mention I hate telecom!

Ixion
19th September 2006, 12:50
I think Mr Weasel is a Telecom techie (might be wrong. Someone is anyway). He might be able to shed some light on the problem?

Swoop
19th September 2006, 13:14
Did I mention I hate telecom!
I can easily understand why!

I trust them as far as I can pick up and throw my bike...

John Banks
19th September 2006, 13:52
I think Mr Weasel is a Telecom techie (might be wrong. Someone is anyway). He might be able to shed some light on the problem?

A few of us work in broadband, but not dial up. The charging thing is pretty accurate, since it just counts who has logged in with that username. Hence why I suggested tracing the calls - it will tell where they're being dialled from. If it comes up with the same number, it's been an error, since you can't call from one number two times. If it's from another person, then you have your culprit.

The_Dover
19th September 2006, 14:20
I'd try and get is sorted pronto as they are moving dial-up support to wang chung or somewhere soon.

TLDV8
22nd September 2006, 17:08

Fast forward three days......... I posted here at 12:20 pm,shortly after the PC was disconnected.I then rang Xtra and got "them" to change the password and then took the PC to a local shop where it has sat for a bit over three days...They did not know the Xtra password........It comes as no surprise to see i was online at 9:26pm that night,yet my PC was sitting on the floor in a closed computor store.... They did not have time to look at it so i will take it back next week.As the Tech said...Who would steal Dial Up (Powered by Steam)......Remembering,even with that connection at 9:26pm standing out,Xtra will not simply trace it.You have to fill in an Xtra/Police form and wait up to "Two Months" for any action...I will phone them again but considering Tues when i rang i was told they would email the details of who i can see personally.The reply,no you can not talk to anyone personally.

Sep 19 2006 8:09AM Dial-Up Internet access 1:38:10 0.00 + GST
Sep 19 2006 10:49AM Dial-Up Internet access 0:13:31 0.00 + GST
Sep 19 2006 12:02PM Dial-Up Internet access 0:21:00 0.00 + GST
Sep 19 2006 9:26PM Dial-Up Internet access 0:14:31 0.00 + GST

gijoe1313
22nd September 2006, 17:16
I'd try and get is sorted pronto as they are moving dial-up support to wang chung or somewhere soon.

Yesh, they'll just Wing the Wong numbas and leave you out on a Lim. Better to eat some Chow and think about it before Lee-ving it too late and taking it on the Chin. :rolleyes:

inlinefour
22nd September 2006, 17:20
Can someone explain this.......

For some time i have been getting charged for overlap by Xtra (Supposed two connections online at the same time)

They asked me who i had given my password to,no one i tell them..No i havn't accessed my PC from an another PC... No,i am the only person to use this PC..No sign of any Trojan etc etc...... I change my Xtra password and there can be overlap within One Hour.
What i have done for the last few days is change my Xtra password every time i come online so there is no link to this PC,the only thing that could be gotten would be the old password.?

How can this be explained.

I checked yesterdays usage.

But what i have also added is a Sygate Firewall on the weekend which moniters all inward/outward traffic.According to Xtra there is some 52 minutes of Overlap when i wasn't even online...So there are now two other PC's online out there on my connection.

What am i missing.... Any answers appreciated. :confused:

We changed from dial up to adsl awhile ago. We was charged for two adsl connections instead of one. Rang up and they said they would fix it, next month we again got a bill for two adsl connections. Rang up again and explained that changing to another ISP was looking like a really good idea, they fixed the problem immediately. Was rung up a few weeks later to be asked what we thought of it all. Good connection, slack service...

98tls
22nd September 2006, 17:27
Cant help as no good with puters but hope you get it sorted les...will you have the same email when across the ditch.....?

Warr
22nd September 2006, 17:30
Change your ISP mate. I wouldnt put up with that sort of CR..P
If you are only using dial-up find an ISP who is prepared to help.
Why is your PC at the shop??? Is it possible you have a trogan passing on your password details..... Not that likely if you actually changed it manually over the phone and your PC wasnt even online.

Some insider in Telecom is desperate to steal dial-up ..wow that would be a first.
But seriously if they arent prepared to help, let your feet do the talking I say.

TLDV8
3rd October 2006, 09:29
Finally after something like three months the matter was passed onto Telecom.
Xtra was told from day one this was a single line residence.

Where was the $80 or so of charged overlap traced to,yep right here :Pokey: which is impossible for the above reason (only one phone line out)
Strangely,Xtra never did reply to finding out how my account was online when my PC was disconnected as suggested .
I was fobbed off from day one by Xtra so would say if you have a problem keep at them until you get a result.Of course this is not over until i see the bill.I am thankful it is somewhat closer to being fixed but have to wonder about the service from Xtra overall,i believe only one person was prepared to help in the end after dozens of phone calls and emails over the last few months.

Remembering i am on a Dial Up account,as said to them in the beginning..Who the !@#@$ would steal dial up or keep trying to when i change my password up to 10 times a day.You can do the math on that. :laugh:

I have not received a reply from Xtra,the below is from Telecom.

Hi Les

Overlapping usage – Due to a date stamp issue with one of our recording systems for Xtra the data coming through was delayed and the incorrect date was entered.

We have investigated the overlapping usage and can confirm that the usage was from your login id and from your line – usually a day or two before the overlapping records show.

We have processed a credit for the billed and unbilled overlapping usage up to the 30th September 2006. $49.90 incl GST

Total overlapping charges $80.31 less credit already given $30.41 balance credited $49.90 incl GST

We will continue to review your account.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Regards

The_Dover
3rd October 2006, 09:43
I'd have pushed the bastards for some more freeby dial up. They fucked up and wasted a load of your time, compensation is due.

Mental Trousers
3rd October 2006, 10:20
Now that it's sorted ring them up, telling you're upgrading to adsl ..... but with someone else k thx by. Then change isp's (dial up if that's what you want) but let them think they've lost an upgrade.