PDA

View Full Version : Are you a donor?? (license)

u4ea
19th September 2006, 10:19
Iam not sure if this has been talked abouy recently but as it has been one year since my crash the thought occured to me......what if the worst had happened??....
I have actually registered on my licence as a full donor should i die.
My 15 year old was mortified when i explained that there quite possibly will be no wake for me as my remains would be possibly sent to massey and i would have body parts removed and probably used for medical students.
He is totally opposed to the idea of his mums body being taken away for those purposes.
I know it is at times spiritually insensitive to do this to remains ,even in my nordic culture and in life i wouldnt like to lose a limb or breast etc but i feel stongly that it helps future generations to learn and improve medical science .
There is a huge shortage of donors and doctors in nz.......
What are your veiws on being a donor??

WRT
19th September 2006, 10:25
I used to be a donor on my old paper licence, but the option was not carried over to my new licence for some reason. Perhaps I didnt tick a box, or there was a breakdown in communication when it was reissued. Either way, I noticed afterwards but have never bothered to reinstate it. Not sure why, just didnt seem right to me any more.

I am however a blood donor, we do it through work regularly, this thursday will be my fourth or fifth blood donation.

ManDownUnder
19th September 2006, 10:27
yes..... 10 chars

crashe
19th September 2006, 10:27
U4ea - You really need to have a sit down chat with your boy....

Cos if anything does happen to you... He can stop it from happening.
Family members can override what your last wishes to be are.

So anyone can be a donor, but at the time of death, your family can come in and say NO WAY.

So get all your family together and explain why you want to do this.
But also listen to why they dont want you to do it...
As it has to be agreed upon by all family members.

Now in saying that I have a friend who a couple of weeks back recieved the gift of life. He recieved two lungs. He is doing great as well. But we are patiently waiting til the 3 moinths are up.. as then he will be throu all the hard part of accepting the lungs.
While someone else received the heart......
So it was the donor and the donor's family that gave this wonderful gift.
We thank the donor may he/she rest in peace.

SARGE
19th September 2006, 10:28

good for you u4ea..

i think everyone should be a donor personally.. think of the lives that can be saved if more folks did this . there is a major shortage and huge waiting lists for life saving organs..

if your family has an issue with this.. explain to them that by doing this, you are changing someones life for the better and possibly saving a few.. and with this .. a part of you will always be here..

i am also a donor.. but at the rate i am going, it will be like trying to grab useable parts off of Dover's GSX-R1000

Big Dave
19th September 2006, 10:32
I don't have a problem with it - I'll be dead anyway.
Co-pilot has vetoed however - she used to be in a 'harvesting team' and does not want that done to any of hers.

ManDownUnder
19th September 2006, 10:33
i am also a donor.. but at the rate i am going, it will be like trying to grab useable parts off of Dover's GSX-R1000

Shit mate - I didn't realise things were that bad!

Co-pilot has vetoed however - she used to be in a 'harvesting team' and does not want that done to any of hers.

A qualified opinion is one I respect. I disagree with her, but suspect I'm outgunned...

Big Dave
19th September 2006, 10:33

That glass eye would make for a nice game of marbles.

Joni
19th September 2006, 10:34
Been a few threads on this subject...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=15049

McJim
19th September 2006, 10:39
I'm a donor - The Christians, Muslims and Jews of this world have convinced me that there is no god and if there was then he must be dead.

So all we are is biology - nothing more.

My mum would be dead if it weren't for organ donors - she suffered kidney failure a couple of decades back.

Once I've croaked I will have no further need of the body so if any of it can be used to help others have a good life then so be it.

Dead simple - no moral issues coz no religion involved.

u4ea
19th September 2006, 10:43
Been a few threads on this subject...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=15049

thanx joni..i see that poll was in 2005 with a positive response so will be nice to see if the attitude of compassion is still as strong...:yes:

I'm signed up as a donor, doubt it makes any difference though. Apparently as an ex-resident of the UK I'm not allowed to give blood for fear that I've got some latent mad-cow disese or something, I would imagine the same goes for organs.

Buster
19th September 2006, 10:44
I think its a good idea. Giving life to somebody when your gone is a good thing to leave behind. Even something as simple as giving blood is a big help these days. I used to do it all the time (mmm chocolate biscuits).

Unfortunatley they wont take my bloody anymore....Had a run in with the big "C" a few years ago so its no good to them. Same goes for my organs.

SARGE
19th September 2006, 10:49
That glass eye would make for a nice game of marbles.

mate .. my ex-wife snagged it in my last divorce (true story...)

Big Dave
19th September 2006, 10:50
Unfortunatley they wont take my bloody anymore....

The regular addition of Tattoos keeps me from giving blood too - hate needles.:shit:

Big Dave
19th September 2006, 10:53
Shit mate - I didn't realise things were that bad!

A qualified opinion is one I respect. I disagree with her, but suspect I'm outgunned...

I disagree with her too - but the last man that told her so is due out of therapy in 2008.

Squeak the Rat
19th September 2006, 10:56
ICo-pilot has vetoed however - she used to be in a 'harvesting team' and does not want that done to any of hers.

Evidently the term "harvesting" pretty much describes the process.

I'm a donor and give blood.

McJim
19th September 2006, 10:58
Evidently the term "harvesting" pretty much describes the process.

I'm a donor and give blood.

I lived in the UK - they won't take my blood.

Squeak the Rat
19th September 2006, 10:59
I lived in the UK - they won't take my blood.

You're scottish so you wouldn't give it for free anyway!

kiwifruit
19th September 2006, 11:01
Yes, im a donor.

John Banks
19th September 2006, 11:05
They won't take my blood but my squishy insides are on the table.

Joni
19th September 2006, 11:08
Yes, im a donor.
Me too :yes:

nudemetalz
19th September 2006, 11:13
I used to be but not anymore, courtesy of lots of drugs to control epilepsy... :(

placidfemme
19th September 2006, 11:21
I'm a donor... don't know how much use my insides would be to anyone else, but if it helps why the hell not.

As for the religion argument, if its from a christian/catholic point of veiw I don't see what the problem is... God states the body is only a shell, once a person dies the soul leaves the body. So whats wrong with giving your organs to another of God's children, afterall he obviously isn't going to heal them Himself... not these days anyway...

Lias
19th September 2006, 11:25
I'm not a donor, and have no intention of ever being one.

I dont donate blood, and if I ever remember I'm getting a medic alert bracelet saying I will only ACCEPT blood transfusions from family & friends.

Why? Deeply held personal convictions I guess.

Ixion
19th September 2006, 12:13
Spiritual objections , piffle. Religious folk should be the very ones saying they don't care what happens to their dead bodies. They know that their immortal soul carries on their existence. I can see maybe aethists not wanting the only thing that remains of them cut up.

Once I'm gone I'll certainly have no use for the carcase. If someone can get some benefit from it, go for it. And whats left after the medics have had their go can be ground up for dog food. Waste not want not, it's good protein.

kickingzebra
19th September 2006, 12:31
I'm with ixion... The only potential objection would be friends and family wanting to look at the body to mollify their own sorrows. And that would be their objection not mine... Though, were I to be in an accident induced stupor, the last thing I would want to hear would be "This one probably won't make it, and we could use all sorts of bits from someone who is O negative..."

SARGE
19th September 2006, 12:35
I'm with ixion... The only potential objection would be friends and family wanting to look at the body to mollify their own sorrows.

meh.. im looking forward to a closed coffin anyway...

better to go out with a bang than a whimper..

dying a natural death is for pussies

kickingzebra
19th September 2006, 12:44
I was going to add something along those lines, but my wife reads KB lots, so if she thought I was going to go with a flash, I would have a maudlin home for a few days!

John Banks
19th September 2006, 12:45
Bah. As an athiest, the best way for me to live on is inside someone else.

Steam
19th September 2006, 13:33
They don't take your body for research anymore do they, that's a different box to tick eh? You can donate to research, but hardly anyone does.

I'm a donor, one of my friends died and they used his corneas for a blind person, heart, kidneys, a whole lot of bone, and something else too.
So four people got operations cos of him. Good stuff!

bobsmith
19th September 2006, 14:24
Hmmm personally no I'm not a doner. The risk that my organs may be used to help a Christian, Muslim, Jew or any other religious person is too great... I would gladly donate my organ to someone I approve of, however if I'm going to die, I will not be able to make that decision and I decided long time ago that it would be better to not help another which I would want to help than risk helping another who I would not want to help - if that makes sense...

If there was a tick for donation for research purposes I would, but there isn't. I however have let my family and g/f know that if something was to happen to me I would like to be donated for SCIENTIFIC research purposes - ONLY.

yungatart
19th September 2006, 16:05
We are all donors in our house. Once we're gone, it won't make any difference to us anyway, someone may as well have some usable parts...
As we all 'ticked the box' there shouldn't be any dissension in the ranks either. It was something we talked over with hXc before he went for his licence.

Meekey_Mouse
19th September 2006, 16:24
Im a donor.. but that's just basically cauz if i die... i want to make sure I'm dead before I'm in the ground. It's usually pretty hard to still be alive with out your heart, lungs etc etc.. lol

ajturbo
19th September 2006, 16:57
Iam not sure if this has been talked abouy recently but as it has been one year since my crash the thought occured to me......what if the worst had happened??....
I have actually registered on my licence as a full donor should i die.
My 15 year old was mortified when i explained that there quite possibly will be no wake for me as my remains would be possibly sent to massey and i would have body parts removed and probably used for medical students.
He is totally opposed to the idea of his mums body being taken away for those purposes.
I know it is at times spiritually insensitive to do this to remains ,even in my nordic culture and in life i wouldnt like to lose a limb or breast etc but i feel stongly that it helps future generations to learn and improve medical science .

ok.. so im a blonde... what the hell is a wake? and why have one?
when i die i'll be chopped up .. so what? i won't care, anyone that cannot put up with, that's their problem...
burn the rest.. the bits that are no good,

Goblin
19th September 2006, 17:10
"This one probably won't make it, and we could use all sorts of bits from someone who is O negative..."
Haha! Snap!

I'm an organ donor too. I've tried but they wont take my blood because I'm not heavy enough.

A guy I know nearly died because he was a donor & was knocked off his bike by a lawyer. He was almost dead at the scene when they saw he was a donor, so they put him on life support to get him ready to harvest his organs(get permission from family.) and when he started to show signs of life the doctors then amputated his mangled leg & patched him up. The lawyer who nearly killed him made up this story that he was innocent & the bike had run into him, while his victim was fighting for his life. The guy lost one leg and spent months in hospital and rehab is a life long battle. He had to fight the charges by the scumsucking lawyer. He now wears a prosthetic leg & still rides.

John Banks
19th September 2006, 17:10
ok.. so im a blonde... what the hell is a wake? and why have one?
when i die i'll be chopped up .. so what? i won't care, anyone that cannot put up with, that's their problem...
burn the rest.. the bits that are no good,

You're a blond.

And a wake is where you view the dead body before it is buried.

thehollowmen
19th September 2006, 17:12
That's not a donor. Donor is for organs only.

Your body will be returned and you can have a funeral. Just minus a few small bits.

Dontating your body for science, that's different. You've got to be on an arrangement with a medical school for that. And to stop people working on bodies they know we exchange them with AU. At least that's what I was told otago does when I did anatomy.

Macktheknife
19th September 2006, 17:26
Yes donor, I dont care who gets the bits, if in my death there is a chance for anyone to have a better chance then go for it.
I'm not sure what state they will be in by then but you're welcome to try.

gijoe1313
19th September 2006, 17:31
When I got my new license details now, I changed my boxes to Donor as well - after all, if'n I don't need them and others can benefit then all good. I don't intend to hang around in a box in the ground, I'm going to be burnt to ashes and then dumped from the back of a bike out in the middle of the countryside somewheres!

I'd rather be fertilising the ground somewhere with my sorry burnt ashes! The organs inside someone elses and then they can have scary flashbacks about the hedonistic life I've lived! :innocent:

ajturbo
19th September 2006, 17:38
You're a blond.

And a wake is where you view the dead body before it is buried.

but why call it a wake???..

are you looking to see if the dead "WAKE" up?

all the dead that i have seen haven't... yet

Michaelt
19th September 2006, 17:41
but why call it a wake???..

are you looking to see if the dead "WAKE" up?

all the dead that i have seen haven't... yet

Actually, I think that was the original purpose.

Have to wait a while before you could be sure they were really dead, rather than just passed out from drinking whatever crap they drank back then.

John Banks
19th September 2006, 17:41
Just to make sure they don't wake up, really. Not nice to be buried alive.

chanceyy
19th September 2006, 19:18
donate blood & yes a donor as well

sunhuntin
19th September 2006, 20:22
yep, im a donor. what id really like is to be sent to the body farm over in the states, where they leave bodies out to rot in different situations [water, under and above ground etc] and study how the decompose....the study helps match time of death with murder victims and stuff. id love to go there.

im thinking of tattooing "DNR" on my chest somewhere, and also "donor" somewhere....just so they know. [dnr for do not resuscitate.]

apteryx_haasti
19th September 2006, 20:41
Yes, most definitely a donor and have been since i got my license (ahem) years ago. Also donate blood (but have missed the last few sessions for various reasons).

I just don't see what there is to quibble about - I don't need it whatever it is, once I am gone. Why not help someone else?

No probs with any family quibbles either - same as for my rule about turning off the machine if I appear to be a vegie!

What?
20th September 2006, 06:32
Yes, I am a donor.
And as for family over-riding your last wishes, that shows just how much respect they really have for you. :(

u4ea
20th September 2006, 08:17
That's not a donor. Donor is for organs only.

Your body will be returned and you can have a funeral. Just minus a few small bits.

Dontating your body for science, that's different. You've got to be on an arrangement with a medical school for that. And to stop people working on bodies they know we exchange them with AU. At least that's what I was told otago does when I did anatomy.

well the way i see it any form of medicine is science!!!!!!:whistle:

and its great to see that the biker community is alive and strong(bad punn) in being donors..:2thumbsup and for those that dont agree thats cool too..each to their own..:shifty:

McJim
20th September 2006, 08:22
well the way i see it any form of medicine is science!!!!!!:whistle: :

I'll be pedantic coz it's a Wednesday morning and I can.

I think the difference was:

Organ Donor for Medical operation.
Donate body to Medical Scientific Research.

People just say donating to science coz it's easier...or they've had a tongue transplant....

u4ea
20th September 2006, 08:30
mc jim there may be a technical definition true enough but after all the surgeries ive had..............6 off hand........the doctors in most occasions didnt know what to do!!!!!!!!i had 4 options for how to correct my shoulder so that is why i say medicine is just science......o and putting in a cannular tends to be hit and miss so isnt that the same as "hope the theory works"........

Edbear
20th September 2006, 09:15
I am donor, but as I also have a lot of Scot in me, I reckoned that I'd do the same as a friend with her mother, donated the body to the Hospital. They simply come and take it away and you save on funeral costs. I look at it as a "win win" situation, really...:2thumbsup

kickingzebra
20th September 2006, 10:30
You know you can't donate blood for 10 years after having homosexual sex...
I wonder if that stuffs up the honda riders? LOL

Another question is, would any of us give up kidneys etc if neccesary?

bobsmith
20th September 2006, 10:44
I would without a second thought.... - only to someone I geniounly care about.

Bend-it
20th September 2006, 10:56
A bunch of biker donors... what's the point?!?! It'll all be munched up meatpie if we die from an off anyway!

On the off chance there is something to salvage, yup, I'm a donor and they can have it all, I'm not gonna be using it anymore anyway... Best deal would be for someone to get my brain... Original condition, hardly used... :)

Ixion
20th September 2006, 13:53

Does that apply to women (homosexual ones) also? Or to heterosexual men having anal sex with women ?

And if not, why not?

kickingzebra
20th September 2006, 14:07
casual sex is covered, presumably they aren't too worried about sex between monogamous partners, sex workers are out though!!

Kyle
20th September 2006, 22:09
Bloody hell! i just checked my license, and it says im a donor, how did that happen?
Oh well, i guess if there is anything worth taking i dont care, i just better be really truely dead before they start cuttin. I like the idea they put you on lifesupport faster if your a donor, i imagined they would let you die so they could take the parts, too much tv i guess. (flash backs of some monty python one where they barge in and operate while hes still very much alive)

Shame i cant sell my bits beforehand, im sure the doctors charge a fortune to install them in someone else. Wheres my share?

I dont donate blood because im not a rare blood type, and they will problery test it and i might have.. anything! and id rather not know. Ignorance is bliss. They problery wouldnt want it anyway.

John Banks
20th September 2006, 23:20
Does that apply to women (homosexual ones) also? Or to heterosexual men having anal sex with women ?

And if not, why not?

Because only anal sex with men gives you the gay... I mean, AIDS.

Mad Cow
20th September 2006, 23:56
Definitely an organ donor - one day it might just be me who needs someone to donate an organ that I might need!

Edbear
21st September 2006, 07:16
Because only anal sex with men gives you the gay... I mean, AIDS.

Might pay to check your facts there, JB. Sex with anyone who has Aids, will pass it on, as will several other means, including blood transfusions, sharing needles, etc.

Michaelt
21st September 2006, 22:35
Might pay to check your facts there, JB. Sex with anyone who has Aids, will pass it on, as will several other means, including blood transfusions, sharing needles, etc.

I think he was taking the piss.

Not a good idea to take anything on KB seriously.

crashe
22nd September 2006, 00:26

Fact: No gayman is allowed to donate blood EVER.
Reason: cos of HIV/AIDs. (yet not many gay men are infected)
This goes back to the 1980's when the first outbreak started.
The law over this needs to change.

Yet men who have anal sex with women are allowed to give blood.
Bizzarre reasoning from the blood collector organisation.

There are more straight women who are becoming HIV positive than gay men.

If you lived in the UK within certain years you cant donate blood cos of 'mad cow's' outbreak.

If you have had cancer and fully recovered you cant donate blood.

Hep C carriers (not sure about Hep A and B) cant donate blood

So there is strict criteria's in being able to give blood in NZ.

Edbear
22nd September 2006, 14:47
I think he was taking the piss.

Not a good idea to take anything on KB seriously.

You can't be serious...!!!:gob:

:beer: