PDA

View Full Version : yzf1000 thunderace diagnosing problem. help!!

Alzkapowz
19th September 2006, 18:22
Starts fine everytime, but runs as if its only on three cylinders, problem was only on and off, now its all the time, rev counter is o.k then it just goes up to 7000rpm, for afew secs then turns off for afew secs, then back to norm & repeats this over & over. I take it this is a code of some sort for diagnosing, I have replaced sparkplugs & no change, if anyone knows anything or can help be much appreciated, last resort take it to the shop. cheers...:scooter:

SARGE
20th September 2006, 10:39
Starts fine everytime, but runs as if its only on three cylinders, problem was only on and off, now its all the time, rev counter is o.k then it just goes up to 7000rpm, for afew secs then turns off for afew secs, then back to norm & repeats this over & over. I take it this is a code of some sort for diagnosing, I have replaced sparkplugs & no change, if anyone knows anything or can help be much appreciated, last resort take it to the shop. cheers...:scooter:

that sounds like it may be an issue with the coil packs or CDI.. Dynatek (http://www.dynaonline.com/english/dyna_coils.htm) makes a killer replacement .. i have a pair of DC3's on my FJ and it REALLY wakes it up.. i think AMPS can source them

Crisis management
20th September 2006, 12:22
Wot Sarge says.....probably?
Before you buy stuff get it diagnosed, you can ask a shop to just do the diagnosis rather than everything but electrical stuff is hard / expensive to fix by the replace everything theory.

I am really crap with electrics so could easily be wrong here!

Good luck.....

SARGE
20th September 2006, 12:48
Wot Sarge says.....probably?
Before you buy stuff get it diagnosed, you can ask a shop to just do the diagnosis rather than everything but electrical stuff is hard / expensive to fix by the replace everything theory.

I am really crap with electrics so could easily be wrong here!

Good luck.....

the big yammies like those and the FJ's have that problem as a feature.. the coil packs are placed at an area of high heat and they do go south after a while ..thats why i swapped mine out.. i had a very similar issue with the FJ..

but get it checked out for sure .. remove the coil packs and take them to someone that can run tests on them.. try and find a working ' Ace CDI you can swap out for a few k's and give that a go..

Motu
20th September 2006, 14:00
The tacho is triggered by the CDI out put to one cyl,or two if it has waste spark (double ended coil) so it's most likely the same cyl going out.Next step is to diagnose what the problem is....or just throw parts at it.

SARGE
20th September 2006, 14:07
..or just throw parts at it.

thats the reason the FJ cant run on pump gas anymore :doh:

F5 Dave
21st September 2006, 17:44
Do a search here on 'Tacho Tango' for ideas. Often a grounding problem.

Oh yeah, welcome to the brotherhood [everyone else avert your eyes]
http://exupbrotherhood1.com/phpbb2/index.php