PDA

View Full Version : New Triumph Tiger for 2007

Hitcher
19th September 2006, 20:30
Looks very, very nice indeed!

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/18september06_tiger.htm

Ruralman
19th September 2006, 20:50
I agree it does look nice,but with those spec's - 17 inch front wheel etc - it ain't no adventure bike any more, but would be a very comfortable upright roadie

PLUG
19th September 2006, 20:50
Good for the blacktop me thinks ... wouldn't want to be its pilot on a CCA or similar event.

Nice on the eye all the same.

zadok
19th September 2006, 20:57
Very tasty.:niceone:

oldrider
19th September 2006, 21:43
There are a few gravel road issues that they seem to have overlooked while they were focusing on sealed road aspects!

It is still an exciting looking machine though, a taller upright speed triple, hmmmm! :yes: John.

Maha
19th September 2006, 21:47
Yip i agree...bit of 'pride' happening there for Triumph tiger owners....:cool:

Big Dave
19th September 2006, 22:05
Yipee!
Another motard for the big guys option.
Can't wait to see it - and punt it up some dirt roads - which it will do just fine I bet.

jonbuoy
19th September 2006, 22:13
It looks a bit like a Fazer from the front. I liked the looks on the earliest model, the last model was a bit of a minger and this ones just nasty. Would probably be a great bike to ride though. Arse on its not too bad though.

skidz
19th September 2006, 22:15
Doesn't look as mean as the older ones.

skelstar
19th September 2006, 22:34
For those who want to see what it looks like...

PLUG
19th September 2006, 22:44
Can't wait to see it - and punt it up some dirt roads - which it will do just fine I bet.

Nice eye patch ya have on Dave ... this baby ain't no Scrambler.

Big Dave
19th September 2006, 23:30
Nice eye patch ya have on Dave ... this baby ain't no Scrambler.

:lol: Very good!

They keep telling me I can't ride my Tractor on dirt roads too.:whistle:

Lou Girardin
20th September 2006, 06:57
It's a Buell XB12X with real power.

miSTa
20th September 2006, 07:02
Nice looking machine but she ain't no adventure bike (if it is then the BMW is a moto x bike)

Paul in NZ
20th September 2006, 08:46
Like the front.. Triumph seems to be doing front bits quite well..

Don't like the pommy style kicked up arse and it would probably rule it out for us. Vicki couldn't climb up that high without a step ladder.

Just an opinion of course.

SARGE
20th September 2006, 09:17
when is the Africa Twin coming back out?

Devil
20th September 2006, 09:19
Looks great. Never did like the look of the older ones. But yeah...what are they up to with the 17" front...

Big Dave
20th September 2006, 09:28
Stop drinking the 21" front wheel koolaid.
Yeah they are better, but most people who will buy this or a XB12X do 10% dirt - if that - and the 17" isn't that bad off road.
I keep up fine on the buell.

Big Dave
20th September 2006, 09:32
It's a Buell XB12X with real power.

100's all you need when it's in the right places, sunshine.

I'll certainly be giving the Tigger it a very close look when the warranty on the XB is up. Still 15 months away.

Edbear
20th September 2006, 10:44
I'll certainly be giving the Tigger it a very close look when the warranty on the XB is up. Still 15 months away.

Sigh......!:whistle:

warewolf
21st September 2006, 07:03
Hmm me likee, likee a lot.

100hp is all the KTM950 has, and you don't see people complaining.

I reckon ground clearance, supple (read: longer travel) suspension and wide bars are probably my biggest 'wants' in a road-biased dirt-capable sport-tourer...which is in essence what all these big super-trailie-wannabes are...and the tigger has all of that.

Terry
23rd September 2006, 07:06
100's all you need when it's in the right places, sunshine.

I agree with Dave. Now that I've owned this style of bike I'll probably never go back. As for 17" get over it and go ride one, its not so bad. Recon the XB12X a better looking bike though.

Hillbilly
5th October 2006, 22:01
Here's a couple more pics of the 2007 Tiger 1050:

warewolf
6th October 2006, 07:55
Nice.

Interesting that the rear quarter shot makes it look - apart from the high pipe - identical to a 1991 Yamaha TDM 850.

New Sport
All round athlete.
The TDM850 is a sport bike that does it all well. You can cruise it down the highway with a passenger and baggage, slice up curving mountain road or commute around town. Its compact 849cc parallel twin engine pumps out a wonderful spread of torquey power. And its ultra-modern Deltabox frame and chassis put it in a class of its own.Sound like anyone we know?

Big Dave
6th October 2006, 09:58
Nice.

New Sport
All round athlete.

Sound like anyone we know?

Me........?

warewolf
6th October 2006, 12:13
Me........?Nah, that would be:

Good Sport
Tall, sound athlete.

sels1
6th October 2006, 12:32
It certainly looks more road orintated than previous models. Not that I take mine off the road that much, its just nice to be able to when I want. Like PaulNZ, I think the passenger compartment is a step backwards - I ride 2-up quite often and the comfy back seat was one of the reasons I went for a Tiger. Like the look of the front tho. I guess I will look forward to a test ride and see.

Big Dave
6th October 2006, 12:40
It certainly looks more road orintated than previous models. Not that I take mine off the road that much, its just nice to be able to when I want. Like PaulNZ, I think the passenger compartment is a step backwards - I ride 2-up quite often and the comfy back seat was one of the reasons I went for a Tiger. Like the look of the front tho. I guess I will look forward to a test ride and see.

Looks similar to the sprint ST which the co-pilot rates very highly.

MD
16th October 2006, 17:10
Smart looking bike. Would be a comfy tourer I reckon.

Ruralman
25th October 2006, 22:22
Stop drinking the 21" front wheel koolaid.
Yeah they are better, but most people who will buy this or a XB12X do 10% dirt - if that - and the 17" isn't that bad off road.
I keep up fine on the buell.

Rather than agree with you like the others I'm not going to pander to that cause - I think the 21 inch front wheel is important. Most of the members on this bit of this site are serious about wanting an adventure bike that can handle well rough rutted back country roads, where the challenging longitudinal rust really do catch out a smaller wheeled machine than the bigger wheel which makes it much easier to get out of them - for Christs sake why do you think they put the big wheel on bloody trail bikes!!
Yes there are some urbanites who won't ever use this capacity but I reckon these guys fall into three camps :
1) they are just fucking posers
2) they just want a bike with an upright riding position for all the pluses that has
3) they have a desire that one day they will do a trip they have always dreamed about doing and they want to know that the bike they ride is going to be up to it and not only get them there but allow them to do it easily.

At Olriders place last night he showed me an article in a mag testing 4 adventure bikes - Vstrom650, Transalp, KLE500 and the Duc Multistrada
- the "test" was obviously done by a bunch of sportbike riding pansies who didin't take these machines anywhere near places they were designed to go, nor did they therefore expose some of the issues that some of them have - for example if you did 50 miles of wet gravel road and that gravel had a lot of clay mixed in with it (very easy to do that in NZ) what effect would that have on the V Strom once it has completely blocked the exposed oil cooler??

Testers need to test and not just be a patsy sales force for the new bike distributors - having said that Dave, I'm not accusing you of being a patsy and I am an avid KR reader - BUT - the 21 inch front wheel IS FUCKING IMPORTANT!!!!

Big Dave
25th October 2006, 22:43
BUT - the 21 inch front wheel IS FUCKING IMPORTANT!!!!

Not important to me.

I've stated/maintained all along I have no interest in riding up the sides of Mt Cook, fording raging torrents or getting caked in deep mud and shit on purpose. I don't like riding on sand much at all either.

I like belting up good dirt roads and crossing the odd paddock. My buell is pretty good at that. So is a multistrada. The Scrambler was a hoot.

Lou Girardin
26th October 2006, 06:04
It ain't a dual purpose bike anymore, but it is really tempting. A Triumph rep in at work called it a "Speed Triple with comfort".
An aftermarket can gives another 9 or 10 hp. For off-road use only, mind you.

warewolf
26th October 2006, 06:12
the 21 inch front wheel IS FUCKING IMPORTANT!!!!I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, but this is a case of horses for courses. The Tiger has never had a 21" front wheel.

Why slap a 21" front on a bike when the rest of it is designed for the street? We've already agreed it's no serious adventure bike.

Ruralman
26th October 2006, 07:29
I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, but this is a case of horses for courses. The Tiger has never had a 21" front wheel.

Why slap a 21" front on a bike when the rest of it is designed for the street? We've already agreed it's no serious adventure bike.

AT least we're singing from the same hymbook - begs the question why it should be regarded as an adventure bike at all really, but then that statement raises the question about what constitutes an adventure and that will be different things for different people.
I suppose my main objection is this thing about "only 10% of people will ever use them as adventure bikes" - or that they will only use them for that 10% or less of the time - why should they still not be rigourously tested for what we regard as adventure use so you know you're getting something thats going to be right for the 2 days a year its really important.
I didn't want to start a crusade so I think I'll shut up on this now.
Cheers

Big Dave
26th October 2006, 08:30
For those 2 days a year when I do go adv - a scrambler, tiger or even my buell are still just fine.
There is a guy the does the capital coast on a CB200 with TKCs.
I happily give the challenge sections a miss if its not the right bike for them - certainly better than living with a 21" front wheel on the road for 363 days a year.

oldrider
26th October 2006, 09:12
To me, these days, there does not seem to be a "bad motorcycle" simply a wonderful lot of first class choices to match your personal needs.

I visited most of the bike shops (as we do) in Dunedin and Oamaru yesterday and drooled over all the fantastic selection of bikes available today and pondered the question:

Why? Now that I have so much time to ride and so many wonderful roads and tracks to ride on, do I have so little money to spend on the beautiful bikes to do it on? (Sigh!! Develops slight case of Lotto mentality)

Perhaps it is the result of a misspent youth!

I just have to be thankful that I have the TransAlp and that it is giving me so much enjoyment and that I can still class myself as a motorcyclist and I don't have to worry about any of these little technicalities like wheel size.

To tell you the truth I would still be happy to ride it if the wheels were bloody "square", than have no ride at all! :yes: Cheers John.

Ixion
26th October 2006, 10:13
For those 2 days a year when I do go adv - a scrambler, tiger or even my buell are still just fine.
There is a guy the does the capital coast on a CB200 with TKCs.
I happily give the challenge sections a miss if its not the right bike for them - certainly better than living with a 21" front wheel on the road for 363 days a year.

What is wrong with a 21" wheel on the road? (Serious question) . ffwabbit has a 21" front (deliberate choice) , which does make a difference in gravel. But I've not detected any significant downside on seal. Admittedly, since I ride slower than your nanna's nanna, it may just be that I don't push it hard enough to find the problem.Though there are no chicken strips on the front tyre.

topher
26th October 2006, 19:20
Yeah, a 21 is a definite plus. I've had my '96 tiger through the gravel roads between Taumarunui and Mokau (then seen a sign pointing north coming out at Ohura and gone that way 'cause it was there)... The 18" front kept the shiny side up and while a 21 would have made a noticeable difference the thing's really no trail bike. It's the perfect comprimise for me though, I sometimes ride with a bunch of guys for three day rides. They ride reasonably quickly (but not the 180Km plus stuff) on tarseal only. I can cope with their cruising speed and more on the Tigg (and blow them away on the curly bits) and ride for 5 or 6 hours stopping only for gas in comfort, but can still indulge my ex-trailly whims with no worries.

The point is these bikes are all compromises, you've just got to find one which best fits your own riding preferences.

I think the new Tiger looks much better than the 99-06 model. In looks that was a step backwards from mine, (My opinion of course, no offence to those with the ugly model...) and if a financial windfall happens my way, which I can prevent mother from finding out about, this new Tigg with its' 17" front wheel would be high on my list of bikes to replace the black steamer.

Ruralman
26th October 2006, 19:21
What is wrong with a 21" wheel on the road? (Serious question) . ffwabbit has a 21" front (deliberate choice) , which does make a difference in gravel. But I've not detected any significant downside on seal. Admittedly, since I ride slower than your nanna's nanna, it may just be that I don't push it hard enough to find the problem.Though there are no chicken strips on the front tyre.

That is a good question. I hope we get a good answer. The only thing which immediately springs to my mind is the overall height of the bike will be lower on smaller wheels which will suit a lot of shorter people.
Jantar made some interesting comments on his Bruce Bay report about following sports bikes and reckoning that they had to lean a lot more at the same speed around corners - is the bigger hoop a reason for this?
There must be a reason that GP bikes are on smaller wheels (but wider than an adventure bike tyre by a huge margin) - but most of our everyday roads are a far cry from a GP circuit and the bigger wheel probably gives a smoother passage over the holes, ridges and all the other faults in what passes for a highway for most of us.

Bussaman
26th October 2006, 19:35
Before you go out and buy the tiger though, have a look at this.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Pocket-pit-bikes/auction-74415283.htm

topher
26th October 2006, 19:56
[QUOTE=Ixion;801015]What is wrong with a 21" wheel on the road? (Serious question) .

I think it's got more of a gyro effect (there's a hell thread somewhere else on the site about this. Don't look for it unless you have a physics PhD and a couple of hours to spare to read it.) than a smaller diameter wheel and it's going to be heavier to get the same tyre contact patch on the road. This, effectively, means it's slower to turn; less "flickable". That doesn't make it "wrong" on the road, just if you're not going off-road then it's less appropriate than smaller diameter wheels.

topher
26th October 2006, 20:02
Before you go out and buy the tiger though, have a look at this.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Pocket-pit-bikes/auction-74415283.htm

Just the ticket. I can buy it, leave it on the front lawn and Mother won't even know I've got yet another bike. Brilliant!

Ixion
26th October 2006, 21:55
[quote=Ixion;801015]What is wrong with a 21" wheel on the road? (Serious question) .

I think it's got more of a gyro effect (there's a hell thread somewhere else on the site about this. Don't look for it unless you have a physics PhD and a couple of hours to spare to read it.) than a smaller diameter wheel and it's going to be heavier to get the same tyre contact patch on the road. This, effectively, means it's slower to turn; less "flickable". That doesn't make it "wrong" on the road, just if you're not going off-road then it's less appropriate than smaller diameter wheels.

Yes, a larger wheel will turn in slower. But most people now sling off at the 16 inch wheels that were fitted a few years ago (quite liked them m'self) with that fact in mind.

However the difference is the sort of thing that I don't think you'd notice let alone find a problem unless on a race track.

And if one is never going off road (or gravel, which as far as front wheels are concerned is much the same), then why have a bike of that type at all?

The question I guess ahould have been what's the problem with a 21" on this sort of bike. I can see why you wouldn't fit one to a sprotsbike.

Big Dave
26th October 2006, 22:23
What is wrong with a 21" wheel on the road? (Serious question) .

Nothing - I was using it more as a 'metaphor' for 'dedicated off road' machine, really.

fishb8nz
27th October 2006, 03:24
These bikes are just the same as 99% of 4x4's. Most owners won't take them near any dirt but they are comfortable tourers. No one will ride that Benelli with those tyres.

Lou Girardin
27th October 2006, 06:05
What is wrong with a 21" wheel on the road? (Serious question) . .

A lack of tyre choice, especially sticky ones. (Only for those 250 days a year when I want a sticky tyre, mind you)