PDA

View Full Version : Canterbury: Selwyn River 23/25 Sep

cooneyr
20th September 2006, 08:33
Now that I have checked that the new DR 650 as the torque limiting starter gear I'm keen for a ride. Since no body else has suggested anything for this weekend how about the Selwyn River? Its not dissimilar to the Eyre and depending on the length we run there can be a number of water crossings up to a couple of feet deep.

I'd suggest Coes ford up the river to till we hit the water about 5km north of the Main Road bridge. I'll bail there cause want to get home again but others can carry on up to Bealy Fords. Lots of water crossings on the way up to the Bealy fords though.

There is a few water crossings for about first couple of kms up from Coes as well but these are generally about a foot or so deep if you pick your line. The bottoms of the fords near Coes are very soft pea gravel.

Wont be a long ride but lots of soft gravel to play in. I'll be going one day or other regardless - gotta get some dirt under the tyres. I'll put up a pic of the route from home - topo at work sux.

Pics of the new beasty attached - be carefull its watching you :cool:

Cheers
R

PLUG
20th September 2006, 11:37
I'm in for Saturday ... being a flag bitch @ BOB on Sunday.

SDU
20th September 2006, 11:55
Nice bike u have there R.:rockon:

Will check with the boss, but it doesn't look like it at this stage.

Transalper
20th September 2006, 13:34
I'd have been keen but have a very rare (for me) commitment this Weekend. I could do a pillion friendly ride Sunday (thinking southside waimak Miners Bank Rd up) or free next Saturday (30th) but not the Sunday again. Then no real hassles after that for a while.

far queue
20th September 2006, 14:48
I can give you a definate maybe on that.

If the weather's fine on Saturday, that's blue sky fine, I'm taking the bike exploring round the south side of banks peninsula. This will be a photo taking ride and aim is go to slowish and stop lots for photos, hence the blue sky comment. If the sky conditions arn't up to scratch, I'll be available for a ride with you.

Sunday I'll be at Ruapuna taking bucket photos.

laRIKin
20th September 2006, 20:31
Nice bike u have there R.:rockon:

Will check with the boss.

Me too.

Nice bike.
Not sure at this point, will have talk about it.
Last time I didn't do a Saturday ride and then did a Sunday ride I got told off.:whistle:

cooneyr
21st September 2006, 08:24
Last time I didn't do a Saturday ride and then did a Sunday ride I got told off.:whistle:

We dont want you being told off now do we :lol:

Looks like the WX on Sun is suppose to be crap and will be OK on Sat till late (6ph ish). Given this and that the buckets are on on the Sunday guessing that Sat is prob the day of choice - Sorry TA.

I've attached a couple of maps of the possible routes. Got it wrong yesterday - start at the Springston to Leeston Road Bridge not Coes Ford. I've only ever riden to the bridge but am guessing that the river channel is rather narrow and deep from there to Coes? Anybody help clarify? Was thinking of bailing to the rivers to the north (highlighted orange) for something different - not seen the mouths so might be hard to find.

Key for the maps red = wet, dashed red = can be deep wet, blue = dry and fastish, orange = no idea never done it.

We could drop back down Coaltrack road immediately north of the river then ride some of the paper roads back past Burnham - wet muddy and wet last time I went near but suspect dry and dusty now.

Cheers
R

P.S. Round 11ish start from Rolly Pub maybe?

PLUG
21st September 2006, 12:31
Sounds good re meeting time & place ... be able to start with a :drinknsin
Have KenSibly\Mark Wilson 4WD book which covers this trip from Coalgate to Coes Ford down the Selwyn ... not that I'm saying lets do the whole 47km journey ... just a taste will be nice ... I'll bring it along.

cooneyr
21st September 2006, 12:45
Sounds good re meeting time & place ... be able to start with a :drinknsin
Have KenSibly\Mark Wilson 4WD book which covers this trip from Coalgate to Coes Ford down the Selwyn ... not that I'm saying lets do the whole 47km journey ... just a taste will be nice ... I'll bring it along.

Good idea re the book. Have the burried along with the rest of the house gear somewhere in either Rolley, Chch or Nelson who the fk knows!

What do you guys use to stop stuff jumping around in your top boxes? Thinking about bringing along the one I got with the bike to see how it behaves but tools etc will be flying. No straps or anything inside it. Anybody want to drink some crappy cheap as cheatu de carboard so I could use the bladders? Maybe should just leave them full and drain them along the ride. Saves taking water!

Cheers
R

SDU
21st September 2006, 14:17
Wont be a long ride but lots of soft gravel to play in.CheersR

R you know how much I :love: that stuff :not: :no:

Maybe should just leave them full and drain them along the ride. Saves taking water!R
That could be entertaining. :crazy::thud:
I hope you take someone with a helmet cam

The boss has confirmed my time off work,:banana: but sorry dude I don't think we would make it this time. I had already promised a ride with J when she bought the Serrow for this Sunday, I won't manage both. I'm also itching to get out on the MKIII this weekend. If plans change will give you a yell.
So have fun & plenty of pics.

PLUG
21st September 2006, 14:22
[QUOTE=cooneyr;760811]
What do you guys use to stop stuff jumping around in your top boxes?

I think TA uses the kitchen sink in his ...

cooneyr
21st September 2006, 15:18
The boss has confirmed my time off work,:banana: but sorry dude I don't think we would make it this time. I had already promised a ride with J when she bought the Serrow for this Sunday, I won't manage both. I'm also itching to get out on the MKIII this weekend. If plans change will give you a yell.
So have fun & plenty of pics.

No worries, I know what you really think of me :( :weep: :crybaby: :lol: Same to you about the fun and pics.

I think TA uses the kitchen sink in his ...

Supose if the sink was full of cheatu de carboard :2thumbsup Maybe should just take lots of spare clothing. I might even need it if the DR 650 plays like FQ's :lol: :whistle:

Cheers
R

far queue
21st September 2006, 15:59
I might even need it if the DR 650 plays like FQ's :yawn: You will if I give you a push :shifty:

What time are you planning on meeting on Sat?

laRIKin
21st September 2006, 16:40

We dont want you being told off now do we :lol:

I had already promised a ride with J when she bought the Serrow for this Sunday,

I wonder what would happen if I did a Saturday ride and not a Sunday ride now.:Pokey: :whistle: :dodge: :innocent: :bleh: :msn-wink: :devil2: :killingme

Sorry T/A had to do it.

Have a good ride guys.

cooneyr
21st September 2006, 16:53
:yawn: You will if I give you a push :shifty:

What time are you planning on meeting on Sat?

Not sure I want to tell you if you are going to be pushy!

Suggested in post 7 (with the maps) that we meet at 11 at the Rolly Pub. I'm relaxed about when we go though. You thinking of Peninsular and Selwyn hence slightly later? Guess we need to get Plugs input.

Cheers
R

Transalper
21st September 2006, 18:19
What do you guys use to stop stuff jumping around in your top boxes? Thinking about bringing along the one I got with the bike to see how it behaves but tools etc will be flying. No straps or anything inside it. Anybody want to drink some crappy cheap as cheatu de carboard so I could use the bladders? I am still working on that. i think stuff will bounce more on the DR650 than on the Transalp. I have a strap in the 45litre Box on that and last time i tryed tucking shit in with a towel. I also put a thin layer of foam rubber like half thickness bed roll around the inside of the box to maybe soften the knocks and scraping inside. My reading glasses are a laugh too, when i take them out of the box after a big trip all the screws usually have fallen out. The Djebel now has a 30 litre box (no straps in it but have lined it) so will carry on investigating what works for my load.

PLUG
21st September 2006, 20:19
[QUOTE=cooneyr;761096]
Guess we need to get Plugs input.

You are being far to PC on the consultation ... just post a time & place & I'll be there.

far queue
21st September 2006, 20:49
Suggested in post 7 (with the maps) that we meet at 11 at the Rolly Pub.mmm, so you did, I missed it.

I'm relaxed about when we go though. You thinking of Peninsular and Selwyn hence slightly later? Guess we need to get Plugs input.Nope, I'll be doing one or the other, with the 1st choice being the peninsula (blue sky dependant). I was just wondering how much time I had to dither on the day before making my mind up which ride to do. You guys go ahead and make your plans, and I'll just tag along - maybe.

Where's the rolly pub? My guess would be Main Rd just south of the BP?

PLUG
21st September 2006, 21:17
... how about we 3 (& anyone else) all meet @ Halswell supermarket car park 10am Sat

...option A ... blue skys ... we follow FQ
... " B ... cloudy ... we have a poke around in the Selwyn

cooneyr
21st September 2006, 21:58
You are being far to PC on the consultation ... just post a time & place & I'll be there.

That might have something to do with being a professional engineer. The project I have spent the last 2.5 years non stop working on (CRETS) is going out to public consultation on Monday with press releases on Wednesday. Been in the consultation frame of mind for too long I guess.

... how about we 3 (& anyone else) all meet @ Halswell supermarket car park 10am Sat

...option A ... blue skys ... we follow FQ
... " B ... cloudy ... we have a poke around in the Selwyn

I can handle that. Was keen to not venture too far from home but what the hell.

FQ the pub is the one you are thinking of but may be unnecessary anyway.

Cheers
R

PLUG
21st September 2006, 22:10
Was keen to not venture too far from home but what the hell.

Cheers
R

... is that because the bikes new to you ... or ... its not the 24 of Oct yet ?

far queue
21st September 2006, 22:45
I'm happy for you guys to come along, so long as you're aware that the primary reason for my ride is photo taking. I wont be going that quick, as I'll be looking around at the scenery for photo opportunities, will be stopping frequently, and spending a bit time at each location, possibly with a tripod, taking pics. I planned to be on the road around 9am, head up Dyers Pass, turn right at the sign of the kiwi and follow the Summit Rd to Gebbies Pass, getting some photos along the way, then down Gebbies Pass to the main Akaroa Rd and on to Little River. Then it’s onto the gravel roads for a poke around the south peninsula. When I’m done there, I’ll possibly come out via French Farm, back along the main rd via the Hill Top to Little River, then over the hill to Port Levy and back round the bays to home. It’ll be an all day ride, BYO food and so. I’ve attempted to do this ride a couple of times before, but the weather has been against me in the past – maybe this time.

So, a very different ride to the Selwyn River one. The Selwyn one will be good too, but I can’t do both. If you want to come along and can live with the slow pace and stopping, that’s cool, just so long as you know what I’m up to. I don’t wish to hijack this thread or ride, just telling you what I’m doing, but it seems to have turned into a long winded reason for why I may or may not go to the Selwyn. I’d hate to get told off for doing something un-notified like Lemans recently :whistle:

Of course this may end up as another aborted attempt, in which case I’m keen on the Selwyn, although the forecast is looking good for it.

Been in the consultation frame of mind for too long I guess.Consultation doesn't always work too well on here - too many people, too many opinions, never get anything done. Sometimes best to decide what you want to do and let everyone know, and they can come or not as they please. Compromise is nice, but doesn't always work.

Transalper
22nd September 2006, 07:53
Lemans only got told off because we thought he made up excuses saying he was too busy to ride with us then rode elsewhere on the same day as we did... but he didn't. He rode on a different day so that was ok. We were only confused because he didn't say it was a different day until latter. Actually if he stuck a post up 2 or three hours before leaving on the Sunday we might have been able to joined him on his ride too.

cooneyr
22nd September 2006, 07:59
... is that because the bikes new to you ... or ... its not the 24 of Oct yet ?

The latter and for that very reason and after thinking about it last night I will pass on FQ's peninsular trip.

Just finished a masters course on risk management so it goes like this
risk = fn(probability, consequence) or the old way
risk = probability x consequence

Probability I have no problem with but consequence I do given that in the middle of negotiations on a house. Mr plod consequence not so bad, writting of bike or even worse another car with it very very bad. So I'll be sticking to the selwyn sorry. I'll PM both Plug and FQ my cell no and I'll see you at the Springston Leeston Bridge at if you decide to not do the Peninsular ride. If you decide not to go txt me and we can arrange a time to meet at the river. I get ready tonight so that I'm ready even if it is 9 that you txt.

That better FQ - no consltation on that one :mellow:

Cheers
R

Transalper
22nd September 2006, 08:31
a wise choice R.

far queue
22nd September 2006, 09:36
Lemans only got told off because we thought he made up excuses saying he was too busy to ride with us then rode elsewhere on the same day as we did... but he didn't. He rode on a different day so that was ok. We were only confused because he didn't say it was a different day until latter. Actually if he stuck a post up 2 or three hours before leaving on the Sunday we might have been able to joined him on his ride too. Hehehe, I was just stirring - and I must say the fish are biting well :jerry: :corn:

The latter and for that very reason and after thinking about it last night I will pass on FQ's peninsular trip ... So I'll be sticking to the selwyn sorry. I'll PM both Plug and FQ my cell no and I'll see you at the Springston Leeston Bridge at if you decide to not do the Peninsular ride. If you decide not to go txt me and we can arrange a time to meet at the river. I get ready tonight so that I'm ready even if it is 9 that you txt. I'll post on here in the morning what I'm doing, in case anyone else is watching and thinking of joining one of the rides. I can txt you as well if you like.

That better FQ - no consltation on that one :mellow:I just find it easier sometimes to go with my own plans especially where's there's a specific goal. So, what time are you planning to be at the Springston Leeston Bridge - still 11? Just in case I come along.

cooneyr
22nd September 2006, 10:18
So, what time are you planning to be at the Springston Leeston Bridge - still 11? Just in case I come along.

Yep make it 11 at the bridge.

R

Ghost Lemur
22nd September 2006, 22:46
Hope you guys have fun. If my bike was running I'd be certainly sneaking in a dirty exploration sometime this weekend.

far queue
23rd September 2006, 08:19
OK, I'm doing the peninsula ride. I would've prefered a bit more blue, but the cloud's thin and the temp's forecast to be good so hopefully what cloud there is will burn off as the day goes on.

cooneyr - Enjoy your ride, nice weather for you too.

PLUG - whatcha doin' ?

PLUG
23rd September 2006, 08:41
PLUG - whatcha doin' ?[/QUOTE]

... havin a poke around the selwyn ... n'joy ya ticky tours FQ.

cooneyr
23rd September 2006, 09:32
OK, I'm doing the peninsula ride. I would've prefered a bit more blue, but the cloud's thin and the temp's forecast to be good so hopefully what cloud there is will burn off as the day goes on.

cooneyr - Enjoy your ride, nice weather for you too.

PLUG - whatcha doin' ?

WX looking great out here to. Cloud looks pretty high to the south of the Peninsular but is there. Enjoy you ride FQ.

Will try and get some good pics for you all.

Cheers
R

Transalper
23rd September 2006, 10:01
Hope you guys have fun. If my bike was running I'd be certainly sneaking in a dirty exploration sometime this weekend.So what's up with your bike? Been waiting a while to see you out on the road.

Ghost Lemur
25th September 2006, 11:20
So what's up with your bike? Been waiting a while to see you out on the road.

Nothing, besides me.

Last weekend I left it unused for a couple of days and then couldn't get the damn thing started again. Had a mate visit on Saturday so I got him to kick it for me, eventually got it started.

Seriously going to have to work on my leg strength. This shit just aint funny and does nothing for my ego that's for sure.

Still all on for the late Oct ride. Can't wait to start learning from you guys.

cooneyr
25th September 2006, 13:15
Nothing, besides me.

Last weekend I left it unused for a couple of days and then couldn't get the damn thing started again. Had a mate visit on Saturday so I got him to kick it for me, eventually got it started.

Seriously going to have to work on my leg strength. This shit just aint funny and does nothing for my ego that's for sure.

Still all on for the late Oct ride. Can't wait to start learning from you guys.

Given that it was only a couple of days without use my suggestion is probably a crock of sht but here goes. When I left my RMX (slightly closer to a RM than the CRM is to a CR) for a week or so without starting I found it really really hard to start - not hard to kicking over - it just wouldnt fire. After weeks of trying different starting techniques and getting wet plugs (with choke on a no throttle as per the owners manual) I started to play around a little. Remembered the "older" fullas saying things about fuel going off so I tried draining the float bowl before trying to start it one day. By dropping the "old" fuel out and letting "fresh" fuel from the tank in it would start 1 or second kick from cold with the owners manual procedure.

Not sure if it was the "fresh" fuel or symptom of something else like naffed seald in carby, but it seemed to work. Other thing may be the 2stroke oil and mixture you are using. Has it changed reciently? Are the plugs fouled? I know very little about oils and mixtures but sure others could help.

The RMX carby had a largeish (15 or 17mm cant remember) thin head hex bolt under the carby to drain the float bowl. Other brands have screw to drain the float bowl.

If you simply cant get it to fire after leaving it a few days then you might like to give this ago. Simple and no cost test.

Cheers
R

Ghost Lemur
25th September 2006, 17:06
Thanks for the tips Cooneyr.

The 3 hours I spent with Linton at DAS who was playing around with the idle settings. I have changed the plug as the old one gave me some issues.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the main problem was me. My mate had to deal with it having been left over a week and was able to get it (eventually) started.

I think it probably still does need some tweaking and fine tuning with the setting. Of course this is seriously hindered by the complete lack of documentation available for this bike.

But when she runs, oh it's all so very, very worth it.

Transalper
25th September 2006, 17:58
Seems that no two bikes are created equal and so even two of the same bike may in the end have their own unique little ritual or technique adjustment that needs to be learned to get the bike started under various conditions.

And... for cripes sake i hope you ride it far enough to warm up properly and then give it a bit of a handful each time you go out. I'm sure it will just fowel everything up real quickly if you just quiely commute short distances and thus never get it warmed up or give it a chance to clear its throat.

Ghost Lemur
25th September 2006, 18:48
Seems that no two bikes are created equal and so even two of the same bike may in the end have their own unique little ritual or technique adjustment that needs to be learned to get the bike started under various conditions.

And... for cripes sake i hope you ride it far enough to warm up properly and then give it a bit of a handful each time you go out. I'm sure it will just fowel everything up real quickly if you just quiely commute short distances and thus never get it warmed up or give it a chance to clear its throat.

For a while I was using my old cb ritual of starting the bike, having a smoke, gearing up and then going. But after being stuck outside work for an hour and a half as I waited for a new plug to arrive after the bike bogged and stalled during this ritual, I discovered the CRM does NOT like sitting idle.

So now I take it easy for the first couple of minutes and then just ride it like I own it.

As for giving it gas, it almosts demands I twist the wrist. Commuting has never been so much fun. Just wish I lived further away.

BTW it had an 8 NGK plug in it and I replaced it with a 7 due to the fact that it isn't getting much (time wise) of a run with commuting.

On a different note: Is anyone up for an evening ride sometime? It's kind of easier with family commitments to go riding in the evening. Don't know what sort of ride would be possible at night though.

laRIKin
25th September 2006, 18:56
I hope that you can get the starting sorted.

I had mates with them when they were near new and they use to have problems as well.

We were young and dumb so we did not know how to fix them back then.
We were to proud to ask and to poor to put them in to the shop.
A bad combo.

I'm sure that you will get it sorted as they have been around and most things will have be sorted and fixers found.

Transalper
25th September 2006, 19:35
Is anyone up for an evening ride sometime? It's kind of easier with family commitments to go riding in the evening. Don't know what sort of ride would be possible at night though.A more road orientated ride for the dark and a run over the western vally rd Port Levy to Little River or maybe some of those areas are still ok in the dark.

I'm available most Friday/Saturday/Sunday days and evenings and nights (don't do so well in mornings before 8:30am)... also some (but not this week) Thursday evenings.

laRIKin
25th September 2006, 21:00
You can still ride up the river (Waimak) at night.
It makes it interesting and quite different.
And a helmet mounted light is best to see where you want to go and not where your bars are pointing.

Could be interested in doing it on a Friday or Saturday night.

Ghost Lemur
25th September 2006, 23:54
What are the options as far as close trails? Obviously being evening minimal travel .

Might find a suitable date and start a new thread.

laRIKin
26th September 2006, 19:11
What are the options as far as close trails? Obviously being evening minimal travel .

Might find a suitable date and start a new thread.

If you are going to take a car and trailer you have to be careful where you park or it will be locked in. (or damaged by boy racers)

But with our regoed bikes we could ride anywhere we want, it just time to complete the ride as you will be slower in the dark.

That's why I will only go on an evening ride that is not on a school night (so to speak) as you may not get home until real late.

I may do a quick very short night ride to see if my bikes head light is up to it.

Ghost Lemur
27th September 2006, 10:08
My thoughts are it'd need to be no further than half an hour away, that way we get in a reasonable amount of time riding the fun stuff. Maybe a total of 2 - 3 hours, which if we started at 6:30-7pm would mean being back by 9-10. My preference (particularly for my first) would be half hour there, 1 hour ish on a trail and then home.

As for slow, well I'm going to be that irrespective of time of day or night.

Think I might have finally cracked the code to starting my bike. I had left it sitting since Sunday. Went out last night to kick it over, and had my same old same old issues, so started trying different things. I had been starting it with side stand down for a couple of reasons. Initally it was fear I'd loose my balance and drop the bike. Then it also became because I was standing on the pegs to get leverage to kick the hell out of it.

Last night sitting on the bike exausted I thought about what my mate was doing when he started it. So I brought up the kickstand and gave it a couple of kicks and BANG, straight into life. What what makes me certain that I've now cracked the code is, not only what the choke not on but neither was the fuel switch. So I shut it down and tried again to insure it wasn't a fluke. Sure enough, couple of kicks and that sweet ring-a-ding sound.

My theory is it either doesn't like being on a lean, or more likely, doesn't like starting with the kickstand down. Now I knew the kickstand hand a cutout switch, but it's only in effect when the bike is in gear. So I didn't even consider it being the cause for the starting troubles I was having.

Thinking about leaving it bike sitting til the weekend and testing it again to make sure I've got it sorted.

So overall it looks like I might have berrated myself a little unjustly over my inability to start the bike easily.

laRIKin
28th September 2006, 22:14
Please Ghost/L don't take this the wrong way.

I'm not keen on just going for an hour ride, because time it takes to gear up for a off road ride and clean up me and the bike after the ride.
I want to make it worth the effort.
So I go for at least 3-4 hour off road rides or make whole day of it.
Now if it is on the street bikes a quick hour or two ride is OK with me.
But once I get on a bike I just want to ride and ride.

Transalper
28th September 2006, 23:36
I still reckon the run to Port Levy and over the dirt/shingle Western Valley Rd to Little River is a good learning road. It may not be an actual river/forrest/4x4 track education but still a lot of fun and still fine in the dark. I used to do it often while getting to know and running in my old '99 Honda XRB200 back when it was new.
Other than that you end up back at the Waimak and i'd be a little weary of going there late.
Worseys Rd would be somewhere to progress to once you have learned some control and an intermediate knowledge of what you're doing. Once again on Worseys i'd rather be finishing the technical stuff by the time the sun goes, but am happy to ride Western Valley in the dark.

laRIKin
29th September 2006, 17:43
We are going to have Day Light Savings this week end so it will not be long and we will have day light until about 8 to 9 O'clock at night.

People up in those hills can be a funny lot and I'm not sure if they would be to happy about bikes riding around their homes late at night.
Just a thought that it may not be good for PR.

far queue
29th September 2006, 21:08
People up in those hills can be a funny lot and I'm not sure if they would be to happy about bikes riding around their homes late at night.Hark, is that Banjo's I can hear :wacko:

PLUG
29th September 2006, 21:41
but am happy to ride Western Valley in the dark.

... a bit like scooters & fat chicks a T/A ... only after dark ...

laRIKin
30th September 2006, 08:40
Hark, is that Banjo's I can hear :wacko:

We use to run around some of those hill at night sometimes in winter with torches (not the ones with flames) and get greeted by a cop asking what we were up to, because the locals didn't like or understand or thought that something of no good was up
and just want to check up on us.
Because the locals like to think that they are their walking tracks.
And did not even want Mountain bikes on the tracks, I sure that Motor bikes at night will go down a treat with them.
Now the tracks and locals may have changed, but we use to get told to F/O
on our Mountain Bikes.

Sure we would get greeted by a Taxi now day's and get a ride home if we break down.:Pokey: