KATWYN
20th September 2006, 08:50
Hi
I'm curious to know how many of us ride our bikes to work
everyday?

And how do you find it? i.e., getting into gear getting outa gear x 2
everyday (possibly 3 x)

I will be riding the R6 to work everyday soon and i'm also
wondering how im going to get on with hair and clothes (for work)
under the suit (bit like Clarke Kent getting into a phone box to
completely change)

I have to admit i'm looking forward to starting the mornings off
this way tho!!

magicfairy
20th September 2006, 08:58
I ride 12 K every day to work. Wear waterproof overtrou to keep work pants clean.
I never wear skirts anyway and always wear Doc Martins for work, so they are OK for riding in.
But I do have a spare set of sox at work, on really wet days my feet get wet.

The ride to and from work is the most excitement I have all day, especially in WLG traffic, and I get to park free every day right outside the building in one of the Bike Parks.

The only downside - on days like today, I just wanted to keep on riding....12k is just enough to whet the appetite.

Devil
20th September 2006, 09:00
I guess I run into the same problems. My hair looks like a dead weasel after coming in on the bike (which I do daily). Only resolution is take my clothes and hair stuff in a bag and get changed when i get to work.

Good if you've got a workplace that has decent facilities, but crap at others.

Works for me.

McJim
20th September 2006, 09:08
I'm a bit confused as to why this thread is aimed at women. Many of us blokes take a pride in our apearance too y'know!

I tend to come in to work in the cage one day per fortnight or so to drop off a selection of suits, shirts and ties - I have a large office to myself and showering/changing facilities so I am lucky.

I couldn't be bothered wearing 2 layers - especially when it gets hot.

I used to wear cordura overpants until I got knocked off my bike and they were worse than useless - have since moved to leather and cannot physically fit another layer underneath.

Cajun
20th September 2006, 09:11
wife rides to work alot, but she got it pretty easy she can wear jeans around her work, so just rides to work in jeans,jacket and boots.

But its handing having a packrack so you can carry stuff, if you plan on doing this alot.

I know alot of people say these not belong on sport bikes, but they are easy enough to take the rack off when you wanna be a bit more sporty during weekends, and still able to carry everything you want during the week

Wasp
20th September 2006, 09:14
Im lucky that I can wear jeans and a t-shirt around my office, ive just bought boots and a back proctector and i gotta admit it is a hassle especially if you are runing late.

LilSel
20th September 2006, 09:16
I ride to work everyday I dont have to bring laptop in, or sports gear for training/league after work. If its shite weather tho I'll bring the car.

I wear me new draggin jeans so dont have to get changed anymore when I get to work (If no offsite meetings, otherwise change to work pants).
*points to boots under desk and slippers on feet* lol... :D

I always always carry a cap and hair gel in my backpack.
(if no backpack tho, I tuck a cap in my jacket).

You could like take work clothes in a pack and get changed n do the hair/makeup thing once there? (If thats feasible)...

Quite often (depending on mood) i'll dissapear with my pot of gel for 5mins or so to do my hair... If I cant be bothered... I'll just stick my hat on...
Corporate dress code kinda goes out the window in that respect, but I get away with it :D

sugilite
20th September 2006, 09:27
I bought an oversize set of leathers (there are some pretty cheap sets around now) just for commuting, that way I can fit them over my work clothes. I got to work and simply unzipped and stepped out of them, changed into shoes, brushed the hair and was ready for action!

Str8 Jacket
20th September 2006, 09:32
II never wear skirts anyway and always wear Doc Martins for work, so they are OK for riding in.
But I do have a spare set of sox at work, on really wet days my feet get wet.

Same here.... Usually I go to the gym before work anyway so that makes it easier, especially as I have a locker at the gym with all my gear in it so I dont have to carry anything! When I dont go to the gym before work I just put my work clothes on under my gear. Wearing Doc's are great as they still kind of look "corporatish". I dont wear make up much so thats no prob and if I need to for meetings then I just chuck what I need in my backpack. I keep a comb at work so I can brush my hair when I get to work or if im feeling lazy i'll just tie it up. Its not really hard at all, though Ive never driven a car so I wouldnt really know what im missing.... and taking the bus is torture now!

nudemetalz
20th September 2006, 09:43
Well, Mrs NDMz rides her VTR250 everyday to work, and then once at work jumps on her Honda CT-110 "company vehicle".

HenryDorsetCase
20th September 2006, 09:58
I ride a pushbike to work most days and have the same issues. I do what McJim does, once a week or so, usually during the weekend I drop off however many ironed shirts I have, my suits and ties and shoes live at work and I try and remember to wear clean undies and such (sorry Mum!). Once organised (and I do have a large office with a wardrobe in it) its easy. What hair I have left is short so no worries there also......

Colapop
20th September 2006, 10:06
Since I've now got a bike to ride to work (lunchtimes are great!!) I've taken to wearing jeans. Still a dress shirt but I haven't worn a tie for years so no difference really. Oh and I don't have 'hair' as such....

The_Dover
20th September 2006, 10:10
I wear a skirt to work.

I just hitch it up under my leathers and enjoy the ride.

TerminalAddict
20th September 2006, 10:12
don't you balloon up? .. leaned back on that cruiser of yours?

The_Dover
20th September 2006, 10:33
don't be silly, I'm a total slut and my skirt barely passes for a belt.

KATWYN
20th September 2006, 10:44
I'm a bit confused as to why this thread is aimed at women. Many of us blokes take a pride in our apearance too y'know!

Yes sorry McJim that is true. Anyones comments are appreciated.

Cheers

KATWYN
20th September 2006, 11:01
Cheers people
Some great ideas.

Sometimes at work I can slop around in jeans and tee shirt and no make up and look like shit but then
sometimes I need to dress in business suits... (and still look like shit :laugh: )

I think I will do what someone suggested, and leave spare business suits
and shoes (and fluffy accessories- hairspray, clips etc) at work - cos theres no way I can crumple up my work clothes into a pack and I definitely won't fit bulky clothes under my bike suit.

The spare set of socks was a good idea too.

I might get a shoulder pack thingy instead of using the pack (cos it will
be pretty empty and will catch the wind when riding)

It will be about 10-12km's of country road to ride also so.....who knows, on lovely sunny mornings I may just be late for work at times!!! :banana:

Panther
20th September 2006, 11:18
hey there,
i ride into aucks CBD, its about 6kms to work, and i find if i wear my work clothes under my bike gear they get all crumpled, same with leaving them in my back pack, so its a no win situation!
So when i get to work i have to spend that extra time getting into my flash gears and fancy shoes and doing my hair and makeup, because its frowned upon if you don't look professional.
By the time im ready to start work i might as well have taken the bus!
But i love my bike so i put up with it taking me 10mins to get to work and 15mins to get ready once im there!!

Joni
20th September 2006, 11:20
I was in a strange situation once - I used to ride to work with my back pack with all the "corporate stuff" inside... get to work, go straight to the toilets, change and make myself presentable and off I go in my company car to visit clients... I thought it worked well for me and all concerned.

I was pulled aside by the owner of business and told I cant ride to work as its not a "look" they want for someone in their management team... huh! not the "look"? he said yes we try and come across as a classy organisation and you arriving on that thing is contra to that.

Pffft go figure...

Panther
20th September 2006, 11:22
So what happened Joni?

Joni
20th September 2006, 11:26
Simple Sallo, told him its not exactly fair however its his business and he can run it as he sees fit - that night I started looking for another position, when I resigned, he asked why, I said so I can be free to ride my thing when I want to....

edit - I laughed when I read this now, I think you can see I dont take well to be "told" with no discussion option attached.

buellbabe
20th September 2006, 11:43
Ride everyday...fluff the hair when I get there... wear jeans so worries, my Harley Boots are fine to wear all day but I keep a pair of girly boots at work just in case.
Not an issue for me at all. :-)

McJim
20th September 2006, 11:43
edit - I laughed when I read this now, I think you can see I dont take well to be "told" with no discussion option attached.

Well sorry for this but I can't resist 'telling' you that you did the right bloody thing.

I go and meet clients on my bike...in leathers - it becomes a talking point and makes you more memorable than all the suits they see.

vifferman
20th September 2006, 11:46
I'm not really sure why this "riding a bike to work and what do I do about clothes 'n' hair" is such a big deal. I've been commuting by m/bike for a total of about 9 years now, and all I do is take a backpack for whatever clothes won't fit under my bike gear, and get changed when I arrive and change back before I leave. I guess if you work somewhere with poor facilities for getting changed it might be difficult. Getting changed takes me all of a minute, and about 12 minutes to remember how to tie my shoelaces (which is why I now wear slip-on shoes.)

The people I used to work with that rode bikes (none in my new job!) either wore bike gear over their clothes, or did the same as me. Except they knew how to tie shoelaces.

Pwalo
20th September 2006, 13:38
I'm not really sure why this "riding a bike to work and what do I do about clothes 'n' hair" is such a big deal. I've been commuting by m/bike for a total of about 9 years now, and all I do is take a backpack for whatever clothes won't fit under my bike gear, and get changed when I arrive and change back before I leave.

Yep that's my routine. I can wear chino's/jeans and casual shirt under my gear. Leave a pair of shoes, jumper and jacket at work and it's all done.

It's a few minutes beginning and end of the day. Might help having shorter hair perhaps? Definitely a bonus if you've got a bit of room to stash your gear, especially when it's wet, but otherwise I've never found it a problem.

_Gina_
20th September 2006, 14:00
I was in a strange situation once - I used to ride to work with my back pack with all the "corporate stuff" inside... get to work, go straight to the toilets, change and make myself presentable and off I go in my company car to visit clients... I thought it worked well for me and all concerned.

I was pulled aside by the owner of business and told I cant ride to work as its not a "look" they want for someone in their management team... huh! not the "look"? he said yes we try and come across as a classy organisation and you arriving on that thing is contra to that.

Pffft go figure...
Classy organisation my arse!!!
HA! That's what they think.

Ixion
20th September 2006, 14:08
For all but the most formal of occasions I just wear dress tousers with over tousers over them, boots (Oxtars, with trousers over them they look "smart casual") , and a black leather jacket. A "non MotoGP style" one.

Shirt and tie, all I do when I get to work is slip the overtrou off, and I'm good to go. Jacket looks smart enough for business wear. Y'don't normally wear a jacket IN the office anyway. Just goes over the back of the chair. Several other people wear leather jackets who aren't bikers, mine just looks a bit heavier.

Gloves and overtrou wadded up and into the helmet, only sign is a helmet in the corner. My hair is short enough that i don't get helmet hair

For the next stage up I keep a pair of dress shoes at work.

I have successfully worn a suit with an over jacket.

placidfemme
20th September 2006, 14:10
Hi
I'm curious to know how many of us ride our bikes to work
everyday?

And how do you find it? i.e., getting into gear getting outa gear x 2
everyday (possibly 3 x)

I will be riding the R6 to work everyday soon and i'm also
wondering how im going to get on with hair and clothes (for work)
under the suit (bit like Clarke Kent getting into a phone box to
completely change)

I have to admit i'm looking forward to starting the mornings off
this way tho!!

Well I can't really talk at the moment cause my bike is off the road. But when it was working I used to ride it to work every morning... certainly starts the day with a buzz, it was a pain in the butt having to change at work into work clothes and then back into bike gear when leaving, but really, you get used to it very quickly :)

Str8 Jacket
20th September 2006, 14:14
Well I can't really talk at the moment cause my bike is off the road. But when it was working I used to ride it to work every morning... certainly starts the day with a buzz, it was a pain in the butt having to change at work into work clothes and then back into bike gear when leaving, but really, you get used to it very quickly :)

I just take my codura pantys of at my desk. I have my work pants underneath but not everyone know's that! ;)
Then I just put everything on over my work clothes when I leave. You do get used to it, can be a pain but when your filtering through the lines of traffic you know its soooo worth it!

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
20th September 2006, 14:37
Used to take the bike to work and was in a very corporate environment. Bought clothes that weren't too crushable, straight to the toilets at work and change. You learn to be inventive with the hair! The bonus of riding in and free parking far outweighed taking a bus. It was always amusing how the bigwigs reacted - it was positive in my case.

Drunken Monkey
20th September 2006, 15:29
Yes sorry McJim that is true. Anyones comments are appreciated.

Cheers

There's nothing to be sorry about. If you want to ask a question and direct it at women only, then go ahead. If it went against the ethos of the moderators, then there wouldn't be a 'biker angels' section. McJim just needs to get on his bike and go for a ride, he's bored and needs attention, thats all...

MikeyG
20th September 2006, 19:49
I leave shoes at work and take pants in in a backpack mon morning and home fri night (more than one pair, I'm not that skody). Just wear a shirt under my jacket and my riding trou and change once at work.

apteryx_haasti
20th September 2006, 20:04
I ride 24 km to work each day - it's great! I wear my work shirt under my Cordura jacket and shorts under my cordura pants. I wear a back pack and take my work trousers in that. During summer I'm thinking about getting some draggin jeans - will still change at work.

I'm lucky because I have an office and a wardrobe so I can leave all my crap there. I just keep a spare pair of shoes and a coat and spare socks at work.

Seems to be working for me thus far.

KATWYN
20th September 2006, 20:22
Awesome, looking at this thread theres a heap of us doin it!!!

Beemer
21st September 2006, 15:43
Thankfully I work from home now but I did commute for a while. On wet days it's a pain changing from your wet weather gear into your work clothes and often the gear is still damp when you go home. On hot days you feel like you're melting - and on cold days, well, you can get a bit chilly!

I have bad hair even without a helmet so I would always look like something the cat dragged in. Okay for a job where I was working nights and calling people, but not so good for other jobs.

One contract I did recently I rode to work a few times and got looked at like I was an axe murderer! And the time saving (getting past slow moving cars, etc) was lost because the motorcycle parks at Massey in PN were miles away from where I was working. Add the time spent getting changed and you can see why I didn't bother that often!

Keystone19
21st September 2006, 16:51
I ride a 60km return trip daily rain or shine. I usually wear the top I'm going to wear for the day underneath my cordura and the trousers or skirt (:lol: ) I carry in my bag to change in to.

Luckily I have an office where I can get changed and hang up my stuff to dry on wet days. Have a mirror in the office to do hair and make up as needed.

Time saved on commute is 15 minutes per day in the morning (not much in the afternoon 'cause there's no traffic when I go home), money saved on petrol costs is over $1000 per year.

judecatmad
21st September 2006, 17:13
Tank bag and back pack takes care of the stuff I need to take in to work with me (means I look like a pack mule on the way to and from work, but at least I get everything in that I need!). And it's a full change when I get to work. We don't have a changing area so it gets a bit crowded in the cubicle with all those clothes all over the floor!

I have to go for the ever-creased look cos got nowhere to store nicely ironed stuff, even if I wanted to trek the 40k into work at the weekend......

klingon
22nd September 2006, 16:27
Thanks for the thread, Katwyn! :) I'm planning to do the same when I get my bike. One of my key motivations for getting a bike is the commuter thing - it will make going to work so much more fun! And on those warm summer evenings I may be a bit late home. ;)

When I was choosing my riding gear, I specifically tried it on in the shop with my work gear underneath, so I know there's enough room underneath. (Now I just have to take MacktheKnife everywhere to help me get dressed...)

I'm looking for boots now, and it would be nice to find a pair that could pass for dressy boots if I need them to. I'm planning to leave a couple of pairs of shoes at work but I'm sure there will be occasions when I'll forget to do that and end up wearing my boots all day.

Suit jackets will also live at work.

Hair and makeup are no problem - hair is always in a ponytail anyway, so I just need a comb. And makeup isn't a priority when there's riding to be done!

The biggest problem for me is likely to be my laptop. I've seen hard backpacks specifically designed to carry them, but I don't know if I want to shell out that kind of money. Any tips for carrying laptops from more experienced commuters?

Keystone19
22nd September 2006, 17:54
The biggest problem for me is likely to be my laptop. I've seen hard backpacks specifically designed to carry them, but I don't know if I want to shell out that kind of money. Any tips for carrying laptops from more experienced commuters?

I purchased a slim laptop case and use it solely for commuting. I have a piece of foam that I place between the keyboard and the screen to prevent vibration damage as well. The small laptop case fits easily into the smaller of my two Ventura packs. It would fit easily into a backpack as well. I have a workstation at work so leave all the connectivity and power cables at home in the larger case.

ManDownUnder
22nd September 2006, 18:01
I purchased a slim laptop case and use it solely for commuting. I have a piece of foam that I place between the keyboard and the screen to prevent vibration damage as well. The small laptop case fits easily into the smaller of my two Ventura packs. It would fit easily into a backpack as well. I have a workstation at work so leave all the connectivity and power cables at home in the larger case.

My laptop LIVES in my hard l;uggage (known as my "lock box")

Rain hail or shine it's there... it's even done a couple of the Thursday night rides. The extra vibration came up for duscussion when my hard drive shat itself (I've never seen a HD so dead... not spinning... nothin'!) but that's once in 4 or 5 years?

All good.

Nicksta
22nd September 2006, 19:16
I ride to work every day..... I wear my work shirt and pants under cordura.... take a back pack with my makeup and sweatshirt.... i work in a corporate office, i get "comments" from a few of the oldies there as i walk in... and strip off the cordura... i keep my heels in my drawers... so all good... no problem with hair as i just wet it and go.....
Love that i can sleep in an hour earlier than if i drove the cage i commute the entire NW motorway here..... and am home in 10 mins at night.... and never worry about parking!!
Plus, i get to work, in a happy mood... esp if i took the scenic route!!

gijoe1313
23rd September 2006, 20:52
Heh, I wear my normal clothes for school under my riding gear. Formal shoes gets stowed into my backpack along with the laptop. If I need to wear a jacket, I have just enough space to wear it under my riding jacket, but it does get hot fast! Usually I leave a formal jacket in my teacher's office and other toiletry items.

Some days, I don't bother taking my riding pants and boots off and just teach in that all day. Lots of looks, comments from students about my "lowrider" look when they start slipping down!

Oh yeah - they also think its ill (kewl) to have a teacher in biker gear swanning around the school :lol: I get queried often by upper management whether I am riding my bike during school hours...:Pokey:

Which I do! Go home for lunch, go pick up some resources for class, go home to pick up the cage...any excuse to go for a ride during the day! :cool: :banana: :lol:

buellbabe
25th September 2006, 06:32
I'm looking for boots now, and it would be nice to find a pair that could pass for dressy boots if I need them to. I'm planning to leave a couple of pairs of shoes at work but I'm sure there will be occasions when I'll forget to do that and end up wearing my boots all day.

I wear boots made by Harley Davidson... They look good, are superbly comfortable but are still "tuff enuf" to wear on the bike...

Hawkeye
26th September 2006, 08:08
I wear the leathers for the commute and keep shoes, socks, and trousers at work. We are lucky enough to have showers and changing areas at work so no problem. We also have corporate polo shirts (best thing ever invented), so I don't have the issues of them looking crumpled when I take off the leathers. Hair.... What hair?

Pebbles
26th September 2006, 08:32
Unfortunately I live too close to work to ride my bike there, but when I lived in Holland I always took my bike (25kms one way). And did basically the same as all of you. In winter I used to wear my jeans underneath my bike gear :cold: and in summer I just rode in my jeans (I was lucky enough to be able to wear jeans at work).Shoes: yep had a pair at work.. Hair: yes suffered from helmet hair I suppose, but hey who cares... ponytails work too...Keep :scooter: :cool:

Dutchee
30th September 2006, 06:51
I wear jeans & only wear overpants if it's raining (I hate wearing them). I change out of my boots once I'm at work - have a pair of steelcaps to change into in my locker.
I get comments about the state of my hair (sometimes, only because they're too polite to say anything all the time, or they've worked out it's a waste of time). I also get told off if we've been on an adventure ride at some stage & I haven't washed the bike. Hmm, I also get comments about how I need new tyres (got them now, though).
Only other comments I get are that I should get new riding gear & how bad the traffic is from others who live out this way ;)
If I couldn't wear jeans to work, I wouldn't work for that company. Had a job once where I had to dress up (caught the bus at the time) - hated it, it's just not who I am.

sunhuntin
1st October 2006, 17:07
i ride to work daily. usually just ride in my work pants and sneakers with jacket over my work shirt. if im planning an out of town ride afterwork, i may take jeans and boots to change into, other times ill go home and change.

i dont wear make up, and work outside so my hairs a mess anyways. look dont affect my job or well i do it.

heavenly.talker
1st October 2006, 18:25
I ride my bike to work.
I love the buzz it gives me to jump start my day...the only pain is the hair never recovers...oh welll...small price to pay to not be stuck in traffic. I normally wear trousers under the armour and a top, makes it no fuss and easy to get in and out of. I wear my bike boots under the trousers, no one can tell.

I have to laugh at the guys that get a shock when I'm lane splitting though...especially as I pass the slow bikes in the race to the motorway ;-)

heavenly.talker
1st October 2006, 18:30
[QUOTE=klingon;762134]

When I was choosing my riding gear, I specifically tried it on in the shop with my work gear underneath, so I know there's enough room underneath. (Now I just have to take MacktheKnife everywhere to help me get dressed...) /QUOTE]

He's actually much more experienced at helping women to undress! :whistle:

Richard Mc F
2nd October 2006, 21:37
Well sorry for this but I can't resist 'telling' you that you did the right bloody thing.

I go and meet clients on my bike...in leathers - it becomes a talking point and makes you more memorable than all the suits they see.

Great to see that others push their scooter thing out there, I meet people, wheel and deal with trucks and machinery, and if I am heading home instead of back to the office I am cruising on the old Ducati, sure as hell gets attention !!!:2guns: heheheeh.

Point of difference and it makes the doing of business almost a pleasure :clap: :clap: :woohoo:

Pixie
3rd October 2006, 09:47
Simple Sallo, told him its not exactly fair however its his business and he can run it as he sees fit - that night I started looking for another position, when I resigned, he asked why, I said so I can be free to ride my thing when I want to....

"We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. We wanna be free to ride. We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!And we wanna get loaded...
-Peter Fonda in Roger Corman's "Wild Angels"

heyjoe
4th October 2006, 14:55
.......The biggest problem for me is likely to be my laptop. I've seen hard backpacks specifically designed to carry them, but I don't know if I want to shell out that kind of money. Any tips for carrying laptops from more experienced commuters?

Hey Klingon,

Regarding your quest for a good laptop pack to wear while on your motorcycle travelling to work. I realise you said you didn't like the hard case type so consider a softer one.

I searched for a good quality one earlier this year and there are two options as I see it.

1) Buy a backpack strong enough to carry and protect your precious laptop, or

2) buy a backpack specifically designed to carry a laptop but look just like an ordinary backpack on the outside. (This also helps disguise the fact you are carrying a valuable piece of PC kit around as well)

After extensive research I finally decided on the purpose built models produced by Targus. Targus are an international company that makes luggage, brief cases, pda cases, ipod cases, computer accessory holders, laptop packs and bags, etc. I chose one of their laptop backpacks called the 'Targus TSB212.' This backpack was perfect for my 15" laptop and will hold up to 15.4" sized screens. I decided that the special laptop customised features in this model far outweighed any ordinary backpack that you see in the street. It is full of features like HD fabric, nylon webbing reinforcement, padded compartments for laptop, numerous segregated extra pockets, card holders, pen loops, cell ph holder, mesh pockets, etc etc.

Take a look at this (USA) website for general info about the product:

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=TSB212

Here are some more images to show it features off better (see attached).

I bought mine from a local Retravision retail store. Not sure whether Retravision is all over NZ or not. If you do not have one in your area try Noel Leemings or Harvey Norman or any big retailer selling computers that stock 'Targus' branded products. They should be able to order in the model you want from their wholesaler/ importer in NZ. I paid NZ$130.00 for it. A bit expensive? Maybe to some but its features and the item it's protecting has got to be considered plus it will last for ages.

It is a great backpack and it looks just like any other one but protects my precious cargo and it is so versatile. I can fit the laptop, cables, extra books, files, some basic clothing items, stationery, etc in it.

Hope this is of some help to you and good luck with the bike. :cool:

LilSel
4th October 2006, 15:17
I've got the above laptop bag... and it holds lots of stuff and isnt too big either... keeps the lappy secure as well :2thumbsup

GN1NiteStnd
5th October 2006, 12:09
I ride to work 3-4 days a week (about 25km each way) on my GN, with the sporty handle bars! I do sort of feel like I doing the superman change in the telephone box thing, its not so bad for EIT though. Stink when it rains and you forget your wet weather gear. Took a while for the customers to relise that it was my bike parked outside, they all assumed it belonged to one of the guys that was working with me. Got some creepy comments from the trucker guys who figured it out. -yuck, theyre old!:no:

GN1NiteStnd
5th October 2006, 12:11
I've got the above laptop bag... and it holds lots of stuff and isnt too big either... keeps the lappy secure as well :2thumbsup

Is it waterproof?

LilSel
5th October 2006, 12:16
Is it waterproof?

I think so lol... the inside is all like... that material kinda like what rain jackets are made of... Ive only been caught out twice in the rain with that bag... and both times it got damp... but the inside wasn't wet at all... hmmm Its not here with me today... but an experiment may be in order :D

GN1NiteStnd
5th October 2006, 12:25
I think so lol... the inside is all like... that material kinda like what rain jackets are made of... Ive only been caught out twice in the rain with that bag... and both times it got damp... but the inside wasn't wet at all... hmmm Its not here with me today... but an experiment may be in order :D

Yeah Ive been caught in the rain too many times, even with all my wet weather gear, I get soaked, and everything in my bag gets soaked too. So I've ended up putting my uniform and stuff into a plastic bag inside my backpack, very much a nusiance.

klingon
5th October 2006, 12:25
oooh that does look good! I think I will save up and get a 'proper' laptop pack like that... it would cost much more than that to repair a laptop that's been vibrated to bits from being carried in the wrong kind of bag.

*starts writing list for Santa*

Santa must love bikers - we're so easy to buy for :D

andrea
8th October 2006, 18:41

hey check this site out for laptop bags its the axio?? ive asked my friend if i could use her credit card to get me one from aussie these bags are cool well i think lol tell me what you gals and guys think
http://rushfaster.com.au/product.php?pProductID=AX-SWIFT-CF

LilSel
9th October 2006, 07:34
hey check this site out for laptop bags its the axio?? ive asked my friend if i could use her credit card to get me one from aussie these bags are cool well i think lol tell me what you gals and guys think
http://rushfaster.com.au/product.php?pProductID=AX-SWIFT-CF

FARK.. Now that is cool!!! :D lol...

andrea
9th October 2006, 15:29
FARK.. Now that is cool!!! :D lol...
yeah:) it is cool i tried getting one of the bike shops to get it in for me, but one advised that its best if i get it in myself cause it'll be cheaper, so im getting my friend to help me out;)

LilSel
9th October 2006, 15:35
yeah:) it is cool i tried getting one of the bike shops to get it in for me, but one advised that its best if i get it in myself cause it'll be cheaper, so im getting my friend to help me out;)

Wicked!!!! go you!!! Ill be all jealous when I see you out riding with your flash as lappy bag!!! 'One day... I want to be just like Andrea'! :lol: :D

andrea
11th October 2006, 15:54
Wicked!!!! go you!!! Ill be all jealous when I see you out riding with your flash as lappy bag!!! 'One day... I want to be just like Andrea'! :lol: :D

LOL geez:laugh: i wont be getting it anytime soon though got to concentrate on bike shopping:msn-wink: :eek:

LilSel
11th October 2006, 15:57
LOL geez:laugh: i wont be getting it anytime soon though got to concentrate on bike shopping:msn-wink: :eek:

hahaha... true true... :2thumbsup

oh well.. WHEN you've got it.. then I can say that :p

mstriumph
11th October 2006, 16:14
back on topic :cool:

...... i ride in once or twice a week [it'll be more now the weather is brightening up a bit]

have a pair of steelcaps at the office to change into
- corporate shirt goes under my jacket, black draggin jeans are close enuff to company issue to pass muster .......... helmet hair? well - hair's always every whichway anyway so it makes no difference.... i have full shower and bathroom facilities at the office if needed

one of the reasons i'm working where i am [besides they pay me, fund my tuition and insure me portal to portal :wari: ]-------- it's a sweet, winding, mainly-unpopulated 40 kms of country road between home and the office - over rivers, under railway bridges, throught the village, up, down and round hills between open meadows .......... magic in the early morning and a great start to the day!

ceebie13
12th October 2006, 10:12
I work from home when I choose, but I also have desk space in Welly CBD.
Its a small ad agency and they used to have this "casual" Friday routine where jeans and tees were OK on Fridays only. Just recently its been stopped because "its not quite the image we mean to portray.." Me? I just turn up brushing past everyone regardlessly with bad hair, rustling overtrousers, tank bag, helmet etc etc. I love it...freedom to do what I like, when I like and wearing what I like. Clients haven't complained yet...in fact it breaks a lot of ice. Ah, the joys of freelancing.

GMGirl
13th October 2006, 12:05
I ride to work everyday (rain, hail or shine) from Kumeu to Auckland City (30km ride) in peak hour traffic... yep that's me riding up the lanes (legally of course), I get to work within 30 minutes... took the car the other day... it took an hour and 10 min... it was the most stressful trip to work ever... sitting in a car... don't know how everyone does it. Anyway I work in a corporate office and leave my work shoes at work and wear under my leathers my top/shirt I am wearing for the day, and fold up pants and/or skirt in my backpack together with all my gym gear and off I go... sweet as, I don't think I would have it any other way as I have been doing this now for 2 years. Cheers.

KATWYN
17th October 2006, 08:28
Been riding to work and getting into the whole routine thing
for a couple of weeks now. Its awesome!! theres a shower at
work, so I have been coming into work early, having a workout
then using the shower and getting changed at work.

Have left some of the vitals at work, like meeting clothes and shoes etc
make up - toothbrush/paste (verrryy important in my books!!) have found
initially I have had to buy 2 of quite a few things in case I forget. (one for home one for work)

I put $16.00 in the tank a week ago......if I had have been driving the other V8 into
work it would be costing us $100.00 per week in gas (just for that vehicle!), so i'm stoked

and the hair thing....well I have been wearing one of those granny
net thingies under my helmet....goodness help me if I get sprung with
it in an accident tho....:laugh: or one of these :Police: pulls me over and
I have to take my helmet off ! :o

buellbabe
17th October 2006, 08:42
and the hair thing....well I have been wearing one of those granny
net thingies under my helmet....goodness help me if I get sprung with
it in an accident tho....:laugh: or one of these :Police: pulls me over and
I have to take my helmet off ! :o

OMG! Cracking up at the mental picture!:gob:
I had long hair and found it really easy to deal with in the helmet, just tied it up... but got bored with long hair and went short... jeez the helmet KILLED it! So its getting long again!

:yes:

CastorPollux
17th October 2006, 12:45
I've only just stared riding to work. I used to work close to home, literally 5 mins down the road so I'd walk (if it wasn't raining). But now that I've started a new job I'm riding my bike everyday, about 25-30 mins each way. I love it, even in the rain!:scooter:

surfchick
29th October 2006, 16:43
I commute te atatu pen-cbd most days, then twice a week te atatu-pen to otara! motorbike is soo the only option as I have no parking space at AUT in town... just found out that sudeep commutes to the same spot as me...cool.

i just pull leather pants up over my jeans-luckily i teach art-so having crazy hair is actually ok. the worst part is my boots which are so stiff i can't walk far in them.

Chaosmage
26th January 2007, 19:23
Little late but, I ride to work every day rain/hail/shine etc. Leave a pair of shoes at work under my desk. Wear the shirt I will wear for the day under my leather jacket. Wear boxers under bike pants and take a pair of pants in a bag to change into when I arrive. I have always tradtionally carried a spare pair of boxers & socks for when I get wet through :)

Nasty
26th January 2007, 19:37
Interesting what people do .. I ride most days when bike not in the shop .... I wear my work top and if wearing pants to work those and then my motorcycle gear on top .. or even draggins if its hot ... if wearing a skirt I put it in the givi and change at the office ... one of t he girls i work with wears non crush skirts .. so rolls them up under her leathers .. small people are so lucky :cool:

granma2
27th January 2007, 19:30
I ride to work everyday (rain, hail or shine) from Kumeu to Auckland City (30km ride) in peak hour traffic... yep that's me riding up the lanes (legally of course), I get to work within 30 minutes... took the car the other day... it took an hour and 10 min... it was the most stressful trip to work ever... sitting in a car... don't know how everyone does it. Anyway I work in a corporate office and leave my work shoes at work and wear under my leathers my top/shirt I am wearing for the day, and fold up pants and/or skirt in my backpack together with all my gym gear and off I go... sweet as, I don't think I would have it any other way as I have been doing this now for 2 years. Cheers.

What time do you ride through from Kumeu?

I come from Henderson out to Kumeu for work Mon-Fri. Am usually heading down the Nor-Western just after 7.30am and get into Kumeu around 7.50am. Have been doing this for the past 8 months. I just love the trip into work,:love: except on nice fine days :sunny: when I am sooooo tempted to just keep riding.
Its not that nice in winter as my fingers go numb and then really hurt with the cold.
I wear my uniform under my gear and leave my shoes at work. I leave gel and brush in the ladies room (I'm the only lady that works there). It doesnt take that long really. For 5 mins of dragging gear on and off, I get 40 mins a day of sheer great fun.
Yip if I have to take our van to work it seems to create a high stress level by the time I get there/home.

GMGirl
28th January 2007, 17:26
Hi there, yeah I leave home in huapai about 7.45am so I get to Westgate just before 8am and on to the northwestern... where abouts do you work and what are you riding so I can wave out to you.:scooter:

granma2
9th February 2007, 20:10
Hi there, yeah I leave home in huapai about 7.45am so I get to Westgate just before 8am and on to the northwestern... where abouts do you work and what are you riding so I can wave out to you.:scooter:

I work in Kumeu at Fruitfed. Beside Atlas concrete. I ride a lovely red/white Honda CBR600. Will have a red helmet on with tinted visor.

Petale
17th February 2007, 12:31
I ride my bike to work every day and have done so for about 6 months.
There is the issue of getting changed a couple of times a day. Sux for your hair, but you get used to it. I change at work and do my hair when I get there. Also change my shoes, which I keep at work.
I just think of all the positives, so much easier to get through traffic, cheaper and way more enjoyable than driving a car, cept when its raining!

purplearchitect
20th February 2007, 18:21
I've been riding my bike to work pretty much since I started riding back in '93. I've found short hair helps with the 'helmet hair' poblem! At work I have access to a wheelchair toilet gives you heaps of space for getting into/out of leathers. In winter I wear a gortex type jacket which lets me wear big bulky hand knits. And in my pack bag I take along whatever bottom (skirt or trou') and high heels I wish to wear that day!

I always think it's funny when you see the expression on people's faces when they see you after the 'super woman' transformation :)

buellbabe
21st February 2007, 05:53
Well as I said earlier in this thread being riding to work and back for years... but just had to respond again...
Must say its damn good to see that the population of lady bikers/motorcyclists has grown so muchover the years, good on all of ya!
Also... short hair??? I tried short hair and the helmet KILLED it! Maybe its because my hair is so fine/flyaway??? ha ha ha
Not much I can do about it so I just don't care! ;-)

hitch
21st February 2007, 15:30
As a newbie I am just at the beginning of the experiences of bad hair :gob: I am probably in denial and it may be a silly question but! .......... is there a product you can put in your hair and give is some life again??????? without having to run to a hair dryer and start all over again.

Horney1
21st February 2007, 19:20
As a newbie I am just at the beginning of the experiences of bad hair :gob: I am probably in denial and it may be a silly question but! .......... is there a product you can put in your hair and give is some life again??????? without having to run to a hair dryer and start all over again.

Hi Hitch, ..... water, papertowels then fingers (is a good politically correct option). Well it works for my short male hair.

I do 80-90kms a day in & out of Melbourne city centre wearing a light cotton shirt, heavy solid leather jacket, nylon/ armoured bike pants and heavy boots. This does the trick all but the sh*ttiest of days. Business pants and shoes await my arrival in the office. I had a wee laugh yesterday after I bumped into an auditor on my way to the bike whom I had spoken with earlier in the day - mild mannered office worker turns hard-ars*d biker, hehe.

Always good to see the girls out there on bikes!

Cheers & take care.

C.

KATWYN
21st February 2007, 19:51
Hitch, Ok I don't know if you have long or short hair but I have very long
fine hair.

A/ Very discreetly (as its not a good look if ya get caught lol) I put my
hair up in a hair net under my helmet - I figure I would rather that than
stuff my hair by letting it loose in the wind.

B/ If I do end up riding with hair out, of all the hair products what works for me to bring life back onto my hair ends is Schwarzkopf leave in treatment.
run it through the ends of your hair. it smooths and strengthens dry split
hair and I think you can conveniently buy it in supermarkets. I get to
work and put some of that throught it.

Thats what I do and it works for me

KATWYN
21st February 2007, 19:52
Hi Hitch, ..... water, papertowels then fingers (is a good politically correct option). Well it works for my short male hair.

I do 80-90kms a day in & out of Melbourne city centre wearing a light cotton shirt, heavy solid leather jacket, nylon/ armoured bike pants and heavy boots. This does the trick all but the sh*ttiest of days. Business pants and shoes await my arrival in the office. I had a wee laugh yesterday after I bumped into an auditor on my way to the bike whom I had spoken with earlier in the day - mild mannered office worker turns hard-ars*d biker, hehe.

Always good to see the girls out there on bikes!

Cheers & take care.

C.

Hi ya H1 and welcome to the site

Hanne
21st February 2007, 22:31
Talking of hair...
Helmets can actually be quite useful styling tools! I only mention this because as I walked into a party the other day after being dropped off by squiggles, about 3 people complimented me on my hairdo and asked what product I was using. Proudly showed them my beautiful blue helmet and they looked rather bemused...
:P

buellbabe
22nd February 2007, 05:26
hahahahahahaha...LOL! like that!
And it reminds me of when I was a Punk Rocker in my teens.
My hair was below shoulder length and I would use a lot of gel and hairspray to get it to all stand up on end in spikes...my only transport was a trail bike and when the helmet came off the spikes were still there in all their glory...he he he

hitch
23rd February 2007, 07:20
Hitch, Ok I don't know if you have long or short hair but I have very long
fine hair.

A/ Very discreetly (as its not a good look if ya get caught lol) I put my
hair up in a hair net under my helmet - I figure I would rather that than
stuff my hair by letting it loose in the wind.

B/ If I do end up riding with hair out, of all the hair products what works for me to bring life back onto my hair ends is Schwarzkopf leave in treatment.
work and put some of that throught it.

Thats what I do and it works for me

Yes thats me long fine hair, I shall try these tatics -lol i'll have to wait when I get the speed and distance up tho lol in my learning days.:niceone:

FREE2B
23rd February 2007, 10:11

I find if its going to go flat why not go the whole bit... a pair of hair straighteners at work and zap its all good.:yes:

Toaster
23rd February 2007, 10:21
I like helmet hair, looks like I've just had a good shag.

Lissa
23rd February 2007, 10:32
I like helmet hair, looks like I've just had a good shag.
Hes at it again. :shutup:

I don't work, well not at the moment. But I dont really have a major problem with helmet hair, I dont use any products in my hair except I shampoo/condition it everyday, and it is pretty long. I just put it into a pony tail, wear a neck warmer, over my hair and it seems to do the trick.

Toaster
23rd February 2007, 12:28
Hes at it again. :shutup:

I don't work, well not at the moment. But I dont really have a major problem with helmet hair, I dont use any products in my hair except I shampoo/condition it everyday, and it is pretty long. I just put it into a pony tail, wear a neck warmer, over my hair and it seems to do the trick.

Oh don't tease me!!!

Lissa
23rd February 2007, 12:46
haha.. not teasing, I'm stalking.... its stalk Toaster day today. Im allowed to in the biker angles thread!

On a serious note:

work and put some of that throught it.Ive never used Leave-In Treatment before, but have seen them. Its doesnt make your hair greasy in anyway?

Do you girls get problems wearing neck warmers... I wear them mostly so my hair can go under them, but I tend to get a itchy neck afterwards.

The Stranger
23rd February 2007, 12:57

I think Cameron Diaz had the answer in "There's something about mary"

SDU
23rd February 2007, 12:59
Do you girls get problems wearing neck warmers... I wear them mostly so my hair can go under them, but I tend to get a itchy neck afterwards.

No. I have sensitive skin. I find the Buff's are really good with no seams in them. I have a summer one but I use it in winter & add a fleece neck warmer over top for the real cold stuff.

Thanks Katwyn I must remember to try that leave in treatment for when the plait unravels from the top down except for the last tie- what a mess that makes but it will teach me for doing a bit more than the limit:shutup: in strong NW winds on an naked bike with my plait out.

I find Plaiting my hair when wet works for me, when I get to the pub etc I can un-plait it & it looks tidy with a wavy look.

KATWYN
23rd February 2007, 13:23
I find Plaiting my hair when wet works for me, when I get to the pub etc I can un-plait it & it looks tidy with a wavy look.

I love that feel. or if you put your hair up in a clip when its still damp. wear it
for a few hours and when you take the clip off you get that healthy wavey
just washed look/feel.

KATWYN
23rd February 2007, 13:28
Thanks Katwyn I must remember to try that leave in treatment for when the plait unravels from the top down except for the last tie- what a mess that makes but it will teach me for doing a bit more than the limit:shutup: in strong NW winds on an naked bike with my plait out.

For that little end bit.....I smear a whole lot of that conditioner on the end of
the pny tail / plait so the ends are protected (as best they can be - exposed to the elements and all)

KATWYN
23rd February 2007, 13:29
Ive never used Leave-In Treatment before, but have seen them. Its doesnt make your hair greasy in anyway?

Not the stuff I use. But then I kinda like the "clean" greasy look sometimes
(or is that an oxymoron!)

SDU
23rd February 2007, 13:49
For that little end bit.....I smear a whole lot of that conditioner on the end of
the pny tail / plait so the ends are protected (as best they can be - exposed to the elements and all)

Cheers, I use the same brand, just not the lve in treatment.

klingon
24th February 2007, 13:47
I've been experimenting recently and I've tried two leave-in conditioners.

1) Sunsilk leave-in conditioning mist
Unfortunately this was rubbish! It didn't help keep the tangles out at all. All it did was really saturate my hair (I think because of the type of spray bottle) and I had to re-dry it otherwise the inside of my helmet got wet and I had a cold wet patch on the back of my T-shirt :nono: .

2) Schwarzkopf leave-in conditioner
I've found this works much better and helps keep my hair from getting tangled. I haven't used it much but early results look promising :yes:

My hair is long so I just put it in one (or more) hair ties and tuck it inside my jacket.

I admire girls who can plait their own hair - I just don't seem to have the co-ordination! :blink:

KATWYN
24th February 2007, 15:02
I admire girls who can plait their own hair - I just don't seem to have the co-ordination! :blink:

I would love to master the art of doing my own french plait. A friend of mine
tried to teach me years ago....but I don't think I had the time, patience and coordination to master it

Trudes
24th February 2007, 15:06
tried to teach me years ago....but I don't think I had the time, patience and coordination to master it

It helps if you can practice on someone else (or had to plait many a horse tail).

SDU
24th February 2007, 20:46

I can't french plait my own but found when a friend did my for me for fun one day my helmet didn't fit comfortably when I rode hme.