PDA

View Full Version : GSXR 250 getting a paint job

wildpudding
21st September 2006, 17:42
Just starting a thread about giving my bike a bit of a paint job. I brought this off a mate on the cheap who had already sanded back the front fairing, so I thought I might as well do the whole bloody thing.

Didn't realise what I was getting myself into. So far I've sanded back the side fairings, one side right back to primer the other I figured it wasn't really necerssary so just took off the blue overcoat and the some of the white base coat. Same for back fairings. Probabaly taken a month of on and off work so far, and a bloody sore arm!

To go I need to finish the right hand back fairing, plus do all the fiddly bits, sort the tank out, and the front mud guard. Then its boging and sanding, then priming(I think).

Colour will be metallic blue i've decided, probably similiar to the colour of the ZXR pic attached. I've got a mate who reckons he can do the painting, so well see what happens there.

I'll keep it updated as I (hopefully) make some progress

Stefan

DUBDUB
21st September 2006, 19:26
How much are you looking at spending? Im going to give my gsxr a repaint soon.

degrom
21st September 2006, 19:54
I am almost done with repainting my GN...

This is one of side-covers. This is only paint just before the clear coat and it is really a brilliant color!!!

The color's name is Shockwave(PPG paint) and is used on the current Ford Ute's. It's a metallic/pearl blue. What makes this paint nice is that when it's in the sun it's really bright and when it gets a bit later in the day it turns to a darker navy blue...

Not the cheapest paint at just under $80 a liter but then again some candies go for over $400... After the clear coat is on it looks even more impressive with the metallic particles standing out.

I don't want to include a picture of the same panel after the clear coat because I am still waiting for it to dry and then want to buff it before I show off my masterpiece... LOL

degrom
21st September 2006, 20:01
How much are you looking at spending? Im going to give my gsxr a repaint soon.

This is my first proper paint job I do my self and I can understand why people pay good money for a perfect paint job.

I payed $80 for the color coat paint, $55 for the clear coat , $50 for AAA thinners... Can't remember what the prime cost but it's about $50+ and then there is all the sanding paper and things to prepare the metal and restore it...

Hope this figures could help a bit.
Cheers

wildpudding
21st September 2006, 20:21
Wow degrom thats looking pretty good, and your right the colour is pretty mint. When it comes to paint for fairings, I read/heard somewhere that you need a special type of paint that flexes, otherwise cracks appear? Is that true?

As far as cost is involved, at this stage it will probably only cost me materials, ie paint/thinners/clearcoat plus sanding materials. Not too sure how much paint I'll need for the whole lot, but I'll find out I spose!

Stefan

degrom
21st September 2006, 22:33
Wow degrom thats looking pretty good, and your right the colour is pretty mint. When it comes to paint for fairings, I read/heard somewhere that you need a special type of paint that flexes, otherwise cracks appear? Is that true?

As far as cost is involved, at this stage it will probably only cost me materials, ie paint/thinners/clearcoat plus sanding materials. Not too sure how much paint I'll need for the whole lot, but I'll find out I spose!

Stefan

Thanks for the complements... :2thumbsup

I am not sure about the stretching paint but I can find out for you. The people I bought the paint from are really on the ball with this stuff and they will know.

It might just be that you need a special prime that will stick to the plastics.

I would say you will make it on about a liter color,clear coat and a big can of thinners. You should remember that you double+ your paint with the thinners.

I also start my clear coat out as one part paint one part thinners. Then as the layer get going I go thinner and thinner till it is almost just thinners.

The thinner layers tend to fill up all the bumps in in the clear coat.

It's also help to let your clear coat dry for a week or so before you buff it.(it really starts to shine after a few days) You can also use a bit of 2000 grid sanding paper to smooth out your clear coat before you buff it...

And don't for get!!! Temperature determines a lot!!! If it's to cold the paint will turn milk'ish... (okay,temperature comes after preparation!!!)

WOW... I have said a lot!!!

But go for it!!! I have only started in the last few months, but I am totally addicted to it now!!!
(I am almost at the stage where I would go out to people with old paint-jobs and ask them if I can help them with a new kick-ass paint job... LOL)

degrom
24th September 2006, 18:43

Stefan

Hi WildPudding,

Any news on your project?
I have a few more pic's for you... (At last she is done!!!)

Cheers.

Korea
24th September 2006, 18:56
That looks absolutely MINT! All that time and effort paid-off, yeah?
It looks really smooth and glossy - top job :niceone:

Now, how about some decals on the side? Looks naked without "Suzuki" somewhere.

wildpudding
24th September 2006, 20:12
Mate that paint job came up really well, you must be pretty happy with that. I'm liking the colour too, that more or less what I want my bike to look like once its done. I agree with Korea, get a suzuki decal on the side, will complete the look.

This week I'll make a start on sanding back the tank. Mate told me to use 120 grit sandpaper, dont think I'll need to bother going back to bare metal.

Stefan

apteryx_haasti
24th September 2006, 20:20
Hey, nice job degorm! That is an awesome colour! Look forward to seeing it in person next week at the Oct 1 ride (are you bringing it??)

CHeers,

A_H

degrom
24th September 2006, 23:12
That looks absolutely MINT! All that time and effort paid-off, yeah?
It looks really smooth and glossy - top job :niceone:

Now, how about some decals on the side? Looks naked without "Suzuki" somewhere.

Thanks Korea!!! :2thumbsup

I still thinking about the decals?!? The blue stands out very nice and don't want to mess it up,I will go and have a look at what decals the bike shop has...

Thanks again.

degrom
24th September 2006, 23:23
Mate that paint job came up really well, you must be pretty happy with that. I'm liking the colour too, that more or less what I want my bike to look like once its done. I agree with Korea, get a suzuki decal on the side, will complete the look.

This week I'll make a start on sanding back the tank. Mate told me to use 120 grit sandpaper, dont think I'll need to bother going back to bare metal.

Stefan

Thanks,Wildpudding!

I like it,but there are lots of room for improvements. The next one is going to be even more shiny!!! The color was a bit tricky. I am not use to the pearl stuff... Confusing but nice. (Can't really say what color it is.. To light, to dark)

120 sounds good... I tend to go from 80grid,200grid and then 600grid+ (and wet). This finishes it of nicely. Good luck with all of the sanding. :2thumbsup

degrom
24th September 2006, 23:27
Hey, nice job degorm! That is an awesome colour! Look forward to seeing it in person next week at the Oct 1 ride (are you bringing it??)

CHeers,

A_H

Mmmm... You are making me a bit shy now!!! I will be riding the rust-bucket with the nice paint job... LOL

degrom
25th September 2006, 22:16

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

I talked to the friendly owner from Union Hardware and he gave me more advice on the paint and preparation for your bike. He said that if the faring was undamaged it will be really easy to repaint. Just scotchbrite the old paint and paint over the old paint. If not the case he said it's better fix the faring then give it a shot of "PLASPAK UNIVERSAL PRIMER", normal prime and then paint. The universal primer is required to cope with the flexing of the plastic. A plasticizer additive is also need for the top coat. (Just to make the paint cope with fairing flex...)

Hope this could help.
Cheers.

wildpudding
26th September 2006, 18:04
Cheers thanks degrom, some good information there. The fairings on my bike arn't damaged, some places have been plastic welded in the past though by the looks of it.

One other thing, after I've finsihed sanding it back, I'll need to use some sort of filler on some areas as there as a few small holes/chips in places, would you happen to know a product which is suitable?

Cheers,

Stefan

degrom
26th September 2006, 20:03
Cheers thanks degrom, some good information there. The fairings on my bike arn't damaged, some places have been plastic welded in the past though by the looks of it.

One other thing, after I've finsihed sanding it back, I'll need to use some sort of filler on some areas as there as a few small holes/chips in places, would you happen to know a product which is suitable?

Cheers,

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

It all depends on what size the cracks are. I have a small tip for larges cracks that tend to grow. Drill a small hole at the end of the crack. This will prevent the crack from growing till you can fix it.(Motor vibrations are not good for cracks)

To fix the crack is a bit more work. Best is to get a plastic weld/cement kit.

Funny ideas : I have heard of guy's that melted LEGO blocks in acetylene for a few days and then apply it to there fairings. Once the acetylene evaporates the LEGO blocks turn back to their original state. Now that's a really cheap fix.

With the GN I have used a Soldering iron and cable ties on the side covers. It turned out very well but sadly the side covers need replacing because some of the places is starting to rubberize from the engine heat(23years of heat is bad!!!)

Other things you should also think about is the filler that you use. It needs to be a plastic based one. Other wise your plastic welding is going to be wasted.

I think the plastic welding kit would be the best, especially for the holes.

I hope I helped a bit.

wildpudding
29th September 2006, 15:49
Hi everyone,

The bits and pieces are almost ready to be primed, just got a few small fiddley bits to do. I took the front fairing, and one of the side fairings to a plastic welder here in NP to fix a few minor cracks and stuff, and the result im pretty happy with(cheers Bowmans).

Still haven't sorted the rust problem in the tank though, might use the gravel and water idea from another thread to try and get rid of most of it. Well see what happens.

Stefan

jay75
6th October 2006, 13:15
nice work iv just completed repairs to my bike and had that painted plastic welded the cracks i had in the fairings removed a dent i had in my tank painted it black with a violet and a blue pearl

degrom
6th October 2006, 14:30
nice work iv just completed repairs to my bike and had that painted plastic welded the cracks i had in the fairings removed a dent i had in my tank painted it black with a violet and a blue pearl

Welcome to KB... Nice job... What did the paint cost?

jay75
6th October 2006, 21:37
thanks degrom paint was $60 im doing a panelbeating course at the moment which really helped with the repairs and prep work for painting had access to all the tools hardest part was finding sumone to paint it :lol:

degrom
7th October 2006, 12:56
thanks degrom paint was $60 im doing a panelbeating course at the moment which really helped with the repairs and prep work for painting had access to all the tools hardest part was finding sumone to paint it :lol:

LOL... I know what you mean! I am busy with a new project and can't wait to start the paint.

It's just amazing how mush work goes into painting bikes. I think the main reason for it being so complicated its because most of the modern bikes have a lot of plastic on them. Not like on American Chopper with only a tank,frame and back fender.

Luckily there are a few amazing products out there to help your paint coupe with flex on the new fairings.(Not cheap though.)

degrom
17th October 2006, 06:47
Hi everyone,

The bits and pieces are almost ready to be primed, just got a few small fiddley bits to do. I took the front fairing, and one of the side fairings to a plastic welder here in NP to fix a few minor cracks and stuff, and the result im pretty happy with(cheers Bowmans).

Still haven't sorted the rust problem in the tank though, might use the gravel and water idea from another thread to try and get rid of most of it. Well see what happens.

Stefan

What's up?!?

How is the painting going,any new news?

sefer
17th October 2006, 14:09
Hi Stefan,

Funny ideas : I have heard of guy's that melted LEGO blocks in acetylene for a few days and then apply it to there fairings. Once the acetylene evaporates the LEGO blocks turn back to their original state. Now that's a really cheap fix.

I've used lego (well duplo actually)before using a BIG soldering iron and it works almost as well as plastic welding, has to be lego though, not the cheap bricks (different type of plastic). The acetylene idea would probably work, but seems liek a lot of effort to me.

wildpudding
17th October 2006, 19:47
What's up?!?

How is the painting going,any new news?

Yep I've pretty much finished all the prep work, everything has been sanded back with 320grit and is looking pretty good. Well I think so anyway. We also filled in a few small holes with bog, and that also was sanded back.

Next my mate tells me we need to spray it with something called etch, or similiar which apparently makes the primer stick, then prime it, sand back the prime a bit, and either prime it again or start on the colour. Should begin doing that this week or next hopefully.

Stefan

degrom
17th October 2006, 20:26
Etch primer for Metal and Universal primer for plastic.... That's the magic stuff that makes the paint stick to the panels...

crazefox
19th October 2006, 11:04
Etch primer for Metal and Universal primer for plastic.... That's the magic stuff that makes the paint stick to the panels...

I can also supply all your painting requirments

wildpudding
9th November 2006, 17:39
Just updating this thread, had a wee change of plans, decided to get a car painters outfit to do the painting instead of my mate. Charging $390 which I think is pretty good for a full respray to a metallic blue. Should be done hopefully in a weeks time, and Ill throw up a few piccys for people to see.

I solved the rust problem in the tank by getting hold of a motorcycle tank repair kit, which did the job nicely I think. Should be apples.

Cheers
Stefan

wildpudding
18th November 2006, 19:09
Project repaint done! Pictures speak for themselves, needless to say I'm completly stoked, the end result it bloody good in my opinion. Total cost came to $500, 390 for the paint job itself, 80 for some plastic welding, and a bit for misc stuff. Time taken....about 2 months!

Still have some stickers to put on and a few other bits and pieces to tidy up. The mirrors will be gettting painted gloss black,and Im gonna clean the blade up as its a wee bit faded. Also Im gonna tidy up the arse end, already have some smaller carbon indicators, gonna get a vinyl number plate, and spray around the number plate holder gloss black. Should be a real minter once done!!:)

Stefan

98tls
18th November 2006, 19:12
Good on ya....looks great....love the colour.......:yes:

degrom
18th November 2006, 19:24
Project repaint done! Pictures speak for themselves, needless to say I'm completly stoked, the end result it bloody good in my opinion. Total cost came to $500, 390 for the paint job itself, 80 for some plastic welding, and a bit for misc stuff. Time taken....about 2 months!

Still have some stickers to put on and a few other bits and pieces to tidy up. The mirrors will be gettting painted gloss black,and Im gonna clean the blade up as its a wee bit faded. Also Im gonna tidy up the arse end, already have some smaller carbon indicators, gonna get a vinyl number plate, and spray around the number plate holder gloss black. Should be a real minter once done!!:)

Stefan

Great stuff!!! :Punk:

R6_kid
19th November 2006, 14:41
that is a nice paint job man, pity those old school GSXR250's didnt get hit with the style stick!