PDA

View Full Version : American Chopper

JimO
21st September 2006, 20:37
is it just me but dont all those bikes look the same. lets face it there is only so much you can do with the chopper look

Big Dave
21st September 2006, 20:42
is it just me but dont all those bikes look the same. lets face it there is only so much you can do with the chopper look

It's just you.

MidnightMike
21st September 2006, 20:43
Pretty much, some of them are alright though.

However its the only bike show on tv that i know of so i watch it.

Oakie
21st September 2006, 20:52
That one on tonight looked alright ... but I still prefer my bikes to have some of those little things they don't worry about ... like front brakes, indicators and rear suspension. Call me fussy I guess.

Colapop
21st September 2006, 21:02
The whole tank right under your nose thing is not me - but others like it. I prefer Excile cycles more. I like the leverless clutch and smoother low lines. I think the problem with the American Choppers series is that they've gone from building bikes to assembling them - so much of the stuff they use is off the shelf. In saying that you don't get to see what other parts the company/s produces.

Matt Bleck
21st September 2006, 21:15
yeah i know

sexy beast
21st September 2006, 21:21
yea...its just you

apteryx_haasti
21st September 2006, 21:33
I just love watching those things come together from scratch like that. It's magic. To me it doesn't matter if it is something I would ride or not - I think that anyone can appreciate the talent that goes into those bikes.

JimO
21st September 2006, 21:49
im not saying there is anything wrong with them but ...you know bla bla

sexy beast
21st September 2006, 21:55
I just love watching those things come together from scratch like that. It's magic. To me it doesn't matter if it is something I would ride or not - I think that anyone can appreciate the talent that goes into those bikes.

my thoughts exactly. Paul Jr is definitely talented. his designs are just sick...from the time he starts to grind and cut metal and the bikes take shape...it is truly MAGIC. I've see so many of their series and i can watch them all over again. Its not so much that i love sport bikes more but its seeing a BIKE (weather a chopper or sporty) being built, that just does it for me, this father and son team is really inspirational and specially knowing that both Pauls came out of their drug addiction and successfully making choppers now is just unbelievable. Their theme bikes are just awesome. and im a big fan of the Comanche bike, bloody cool!!!
For me getting your hands dirty and doing something on the bike is better then anything...to make something work, to fix a problem on the bike and then when it becomes alive....the feeling you get is just undescribeable....im sure most of you will agree...well its just the way i feel about the show and i love it. Everyone is gifted in one way or the other, but if you can appreciated that make something out of it, you'll win millions of hearts everywhere!

SlashWylde
21st September 2006, 23:09

OCC choppers do start to look the same after a while but then that's the style they make with variations on the theme.

There's a lot more diversity in the designs featured in the Great Biker Build-off series, the episodes of which can be found on file sharing networks. Check 'em out.

Macktheknife
22nd September 2006, 15:26
I enjoy the series but some of the builds are a bit same/same. They are still good builds but not as exciting/interesting as the true one-off bikes like the fire-bike, comanche, etc.
I also like that nutter in Aussie who was in the biker build off (scottie??) who fabricated the tank and guards by carving the models in timber first then heating and beating the steel around it. Damn that was impressive.

Edit:
Speaking of impressive, check this tank out. Hand hammered 1.25Million times to get this shape. Made in 3 pieces, then joined.

Paul in NZ
22nd September 2006, 15:30
The bike Cody built with Paul Snr was cool...

jonbuoy
22nd September 2006, 15:58
Jessie James was bagging OCC on Monster Garage - saying they just put bikes together from catalogues. OCC look like a small crowd on TV but they are a pretty big company. I like most of what they do. Have you seen the price of them? No wonder they can afford to trash so much stuff on the show.

rwh
22nd September 2006, 16:19
Jessie James was bagging OCC on Monster Garage - saying they just put bikes together from catalogues.

Whereas Monster Garage takes perfectly good stuff and turns it into shit, then destroys it when it doesn't work. Much more constructive ... :whocares:

Richard

The Pastor
22nd September 2006, 16:27
yes i'd agree with them just being order frim a catalogue then wack it all together, but i still like watching the show. I don't like the choppers though, i'd prefer a classic crusier in terms of looks.

andrea
22nd September 2006, 16:49
oh man choppers ROCKKKKK!!! man, and jesse james is the MANNNN!!!!
YEAHHHHHH!!!!
some museum wanted to purchase one of jesse james choppers just to put on displace and he said no.
oh yeah umm answer to your question "its just you"
did you see that one on umm "biker boys" the green one and it looks like some big as massive farken blower motor built into it oh man farken awesome!!!

Waylander
22nd September 2006, 16:56
Whereas Monster Garage takes perfectly good stuff and turns it into shit, then destroys it when it doesn't work. Much more constructive ... :whocares:

Richard
Much more fun to watch though. Wish they had stuck to the originall rules of the final 'monster' having to appear stock.

onearmedbandit
22nd September 2006, 16:58
Hand hammered 1.25Million times to get this shape. Made in 3 pieces, then joined.

Who counted that huh?

sunhuntin
22nd September 2006, 19:30
i enjoy watching them, but can only watch it for so long. i love the black widow bike, and also the POW/MIA bike.... the detail that went into the tank art, and also the tail light impressed me.

i like the fact theres a distinct lack of flames and the usual "original chopper crap" put on every second "custom" bike these days. not something id ride, but would love to spend some time with a camera.....lol

marty
22nd September 2006, 20:18
Who counted that huh?

that would take over 400hrs, banging the hammer once EVERY second for that 400hrs.

they're either exaggerating, or just not very good.....

Brian d marge
22nd September 2006, 20:33
no its not you , The bikes are shit. PERIOD

Indian Larry, first bike was a good one, ( Iron horse #70 ish) but I am not a fan of the Bob tank, and if they fling around that term Old school once more I ll shoot.

These rubbies wouldnt know old School if it jumped out and said boo

Still its a bike show and give the choice I will watch it ...

Just bring back sanity in Choppers thats all

Stephen

onearmedbandit
22nd September 2006, 20:58
they're either exaggerating, or just not very good.....

Exactly what I was thinking,.

Waylander
22nd September 2006, 20:58
no its not you , The bikes are shit. PERIOD

Indian Larry, first bike was a good one, ( Iron horse #70 ish) but I am not a fan of the Bob tank, and if they fling around that term Old school once more I ll shoot.

These rubbies wouldnt know old School if it jumped out and said boo

Still its a bike show and give the choice I will watch it ...

Just bring back sanity in Choppers thats all

Stephen
When were choppers about sanity? Maybe you should stick to mobility scooters if you want sanity.

JimO
22nd September 2006, 21:30
one of my neighbours fills in his days importing written off bikes from the states and selling them in NZ he has a fat boy that has had about $30000 us spent on it lots of shiny shit but to me it just looks like all the other harleys out there and people say jap bikes all look the same.:wari:

Brian d marge
22nd September 2006, 22:15
Go and have a look at anything Indain Larry built , HUGE motors , all the crap talken away

Look at anything by Toll ( or anything from Sweden , except the rakes~ )

Now go and look at anything by arlen ness, ( CRAP) designed for rubs who have no idea

Chops ( by definition ) is a bike with all the crap taken off ... Indian Larrys chief was an 83 cu inch jockey shift flat head cool or what

I would have had a differing tank , and bobbed the rear , with hidden struts

and have some sort of front brake ...

Thats a chop

BTW

Jesse James if I remember had a small chop shop in Hells kitchen, doing some nice work there ,,before he was famous ( dont quote me as thats from memory ,,,,and a looong time ago )

Stephen

outlawtorn
22nd September 2006, 22:38
I enjoy the series but some of the builds are a bit same/same. They are still good builds but not as exciting/interesting as the true one-off bikes like the fire-bike, comanche, etc.
I also like that nutter in Aussie who was in the biker build off (scottie??) who fabricated the tank and guards by carving the models in timber first then heating and beating the steel around it. Damn that was impressive.

Edit:
Speaking of impressive, check this tank out. Hand hammered 1.25Million times to get this shape. Made in 3 pieces, then joined.

Damn that's a nice tank, does anyone in NZ do that kind of stuff? And with fairings too? I have some great ideas for a custom tank and some custom fairings but I need someone who can make them up.

scumdog
22nd September 2006, 22:38
That one on tonight looked alright ... but I still prefer my bikes to have some of those little things they don't worry about ... like front brakes, indicators and rear suspension. Call me fussy I guess.

Pussy!!

You Canty types can e sooo anal at times!!

scumdog
22nd September 2006, 22:42
one of my neighbours fills in his days importing written off bikes from the states and selling them in NZ he has a fat boy that has had about $30000 us spent on it lots of shiny shit but to me it just looks like all the other harleys out there and people say jap bikes all look the same.:wari:

Ya just got to know what to look for to appreciate them!!

Macktheknife
22nd September 2006, 23:01
Damn that's a nice tank, does anyone in NZ do that kind of stuff? And with fairings too? I have some great ideas for a custom tank and some custom fairings but I need someone who can make them up.

No-one in their right mind does this stuff! lol
Although fibreglass is a lot easier to work.
For the doubters, apparently he took over 600 hours to do it and I don't believe he had any idea what he was doing when he started.... by the time he finished though! lol
And he freely admitted that he could only estimate the number of hammer blows needed to do it. I am trying to find the link to the guy who built it so you can see for yourself.

JimO
23rd September 2006, 07:26
Ya just got to know what to look for to appreciate them!!

hi scummy would i be looking for the harley ring, underpants, belt buckle etc

:banana: :wari:

selectedgrub
23rd September 2006, 07:46
Cookie cutters, when was the last time to see a Pan, Shovel or Knuckle engine used...

Or an English wheel....

JimO
23rd September 2006, 09:00
Scumdog i thought Helen Clark was talking about you in the ODT this morning but she said scumbag:Pokey: so it wasnt you

slowpoke
23rd September 2006, 23:13
I hear you jimjim. In silhouette it would be hard to tell them all apart.
I can appreciate the talent/skill involved but it's just a styling exercise after they've bought in a frame, engine, wheels etc.

My score card
As mobile art: 9 out of 10
As functioning motorcycles: 3 out of 10

STORKEN
22nd December 2006, 18:59
There's new series Biker buildoff starting 6th Jan on Discovery 6:30pm. Petrol Heads 1:00pm same day, same channel. The Horse Backstreet Choppers is best bike mag. They have Internet site. They also have Jap and Brit choppers and bobbers.

Dodgyiti
14th January 2007, 08:50

Anyone that is not an engineer or metal fabricator can appreciate what they do.
But people who are trained to work with metal just grimace, or laugh at the goings on there.

Here is an easy one to spot;

Watch them put a fully chromed motor into the frame during mock-up. Then watch them MIG weld and grind all around that chromed motor.

Ok, seen that now?

Right.

Here is the inside information;

When welding or grinding, the sparks when they hit chromed surfaces will, 6 months down the track, cause tiny pitting scars. The pock marks contain small amounts of ferrous metal, which when exposed to moisture will rust.

Here's another one;

They get the finished bodywork from the painters, then proceed to drill mounting holes etc in it. Metal bodywork...

As above- they are blindly causing $150,000 rust buckets.

Now let us look at a little Health & Safety..

Let us show the kids at home how to get skin cancer- We will MIG and TIG eld without any gloves.

Let us show the kids at home how to go progressivly deaf- Let us grind metal with no hearing protection.

I love the show, the creations are great, but I do spend as much time cringing as wowing..:shutup:

Dodgyiti
14th January 2007, 09:17

Any Sheetmetal Engineer worth their salt can make a tank. And a tank that holds petrol not just a pre-made tank with bits MIG welded on it that do not hold fuel, but are there for looks only.

Next time you are on the Kestral Ferry, have a look at the brass ventilation funnels around the bow. Hand beaten by me as a second year apprentice, no filler, fully functional.

But making a tank from scratch takes time, a decent tradesman will cost you around $50-$70 an hour. A tank, depending on complexity, can take up to 100 hours- how much money ya got?

Regards,

Mike
Tradesman Sheetmetal Worker

notme
14th January 2007, 10:12

Horses for courses.....

They all look the same to me, and seem to focus on looks and how much chrome can be layered on to every other part, then the engine is thrown in as an afterthought. Suspension? Ergonomics? Instruments? We don't need that shit.....

However, a cruiser/chopper enthusiast watching an equivalent show about custom sports bikes wouldn't be interested in the little technical details of the engine, suspension, etc - they would just lament the fact that after all the tech work was done, the "looks" got a few seconds consideration and then some stock fairings were thrown on.

I can appreciate the art and the skills on display, but as someone said it's more a rolling piece of art than a functional motorcycle.

Be very interesting now that i think about it if there was a custom sprotsbike build show!

Geordie
15th January 2007, 18:09
Christ! 600 hours, pay me $40 an hour and I'd head but it out of a VW hub cap, spit polish it and fill it with gas,,,, and spend the change on a few cans of Guinness... Im talking about the tank, never get these computer tings in the wright box...

nudemetalz
15th January 2007, 22:35
The show is entertaining, but as Dodgyiti says, the OSH is worrying.

I find them MIGing metal without eye-protection "turning away for a sec is just fine" attitude just laughable.

Then when they made that dragster Harley, they drilled right into the backbone spine for a tank mount, thus weakening the structure......

I also cringe at these things, I seriously hope NZ engineering shops are not like that. It def wasn't at the last one I worked at, and my Nudemetalz business adhere's to OSH standards (my workshop !!!).

Wired1
18th January 2007, 21:17
I watch and enjoy American Chopper but I'd have to say I enjoy Biker Build-off more as most of the latter are actual choppers ie bikes that have been modified or "chopped". The OCC bikes are basically a kit chopper with a few key hand-made elements like the tank and bars, sometimes the oil tank, sometimes the pipes all put together with a sick paint job (both their painters are unbelievable artists) and a lot of bolt-on bling. The Ausi hand-beaten alloy gas tank on the Discovery channel biker build-off was just incredible, but of course the Americans picked the US bike over both this and the Pommie guy's bike which was also truely amazing. Both losing bikes in this episode were outside the suqare but the US bike won anyway - you can't beat rake and stretch with the yanks. The biker build-off guys are cutting old frames, adding innovations like twist clutch and air suspension and making truely uniques machnes, but then I guess they are all made by different guys which was someone else's comment above and is quite right - the OCC bikes are all similar as they are made by the same guy.
But I'll watch anything about motorbikes - if they started making choppers on Coronation Street I would probably watch that too - I'm not going to bitch about how many catalogue parts they use just as long as they keep showing chopper programmes on the telly!

Skyryder
23rd January 2007, 21:24
Right.

Here is the inside information;

When welding or grinding, the sparks when they hit chromed surfaces will, 6 months down the track, cause tiny pitting scars. The pock marks contain small amounts of ferrous metal, which when exposed to moisture will rust.

That's the problem I had with a repaired header pipe. The crossover pipe broke on the weld so I got it repaired and the pipe rechromed. Six months later I noticed pinholes around the weld. So now I need a new header pipe

Skyryder

scumdog
23rd January 2007, 21:41
That's the problem I had with a repaired header pipe. The crossover pipe broke on the weld so I got it repaired and the pipe rechromed. Six months later I noticed pinholes around the weld. So now I need a new header pipe

Skyryder

Ya sure it wasn't because the welds were uneven in depth and the grinding/polishing caused really thin areas tha corroded through quicker than the surrounding thicker areas?

Seen it happen.

NinjaBoy
23rd January 2007, 22:06
It's just you.

Have to agree. They spend lots of time themeing each one. What I don't get is after the initial show and tell... what happens to these bikes... does anyone really buy them to ride ??? Or do they end up being expensive garage ornaments ??

Waylander
23rd January 2007, 22:08
Have to agree. They spend lots of time themeing each one. What I don't get is after the initial show and tell... what happens to these bikes... does anyone really buy them to ride ??? Or do they end up being expensive garage ornaments ??
Some are bought by customers, some are auctioned off for charity some are kept and displayed at the OCC booth at rallies like Daytona Bike Week, Sturgis, Las Vegas, Easyriders Dallas and so on.

Cookie
23rd January 2007, 22:23
I enjoy watching the show but I can't explain why.

I don't appreciate the look of most of the bikes. Having your view of the road blocked by the tank is pretty stupid, but that's art/fashion for you.

The dialogue is wooden and you can often see the guy's eyes move as they read what was put in front of them to say.

Its tragic really, but its a bike show and I would probably watch it if it was narrated by Judy Bailey and the bikes were made out of plastercine.

Motoerhead
24th January 2007, 20:13

Hi have alook to my one, its a good housemade Kiwi build Bike:Punk:

JimO
24th January 2007, 20:35
Hi have alook to my one, its a good housemade Kiwi build Bike:Punk:\\

nooooooice

Wired1
24th January 2007, 21:42

Is it registered? no indicators? what's the powerplant, looks Jap. Very nice.

Motoerhead
25th January 2007, 20:24
Yep its registered (30.10.2006) powered by reconditioned and modified for the bike V750 Sabre, yes there are indicators have a propper look (there are tiny but for what you need them , everybody hears me coming)

Pixie
25th January 2007, 20:56
Pretty much, some of them are alright though.

However its the only bike show on tv that i know of so i watch it.

It's like a train wreck - it's horrible,but you can't look away.

These "craftsmen" who are never without a hammer in their hands.I thought the story about a Harley tool kit consisting of a brick and a cold chisel was supposed to be a joke.

scumdog
25th January 2007, 21:00
It's like a train wreck - it's horrible,but you can't look away.

These "craftsmen" who are never without a hammer in their hands.I thought the story about a Harley tool kit consisting of a brick and a cold chisel was supposed to be a joke.

So how many bikes HAVE you built??

Pixie
25th January 2007, 21:11
So how many bikes HAVE you built??

1 feet forward design with a 400mm seat height, powered by a GS550 motor with double wishbone front suspension a la Hossack,(twenty years before BMW "invented" it )
Frame hand bent out of 1 inch tube.
Similar layout to a Gurney Alligator.
Any other questions?

Wired1
25th January 2007, 21:41
I saw something like that up at Huntly during the early 80's - wasn't yours was it?

Pixie
25th January 2007, 21:47
No,I never got mine legal.
There was an ersatz version around in the eighties,a standard framed CX500 with a roof and slightly lowered seat,that I saw at Puke a few times.

scumdog
26th January 2007, 07:22
1 feet forward design with a 400mm seat height, powered by a GS550 motor with double wishbone front suspension a la Hossack,(twenty years before BMW "invented" it )
Frame hand bent out of 1 inch tube.
Similar layout to a Gurney Alligator.
Any other questions?

And no hammering, bending or re-jigging was done?

And it ain't a chopper however nice it may have looked!

(Oh, and those who thought looking into the rear of the petrol-tank while riding a chopper was not a good look should look at the abovementioned Gurney Alligator!!!)

surfer
26th January 2007, 08:14

Awesome looking bike.

vifferman
26th January 2007, 08:27
I like to watch "Murkn Chopper" for the 'engineering' and bike stuff, but WalrusDude really pisses me off, coming in and yodelling at WalrusWannabe(Junior, III). While I know he's doing it because (a) the producer told him to, because the show would be too slow otherwise, and (b) he has nothing better to do, and (c) he has "issues", it's blardy annoying.
I'm also amazed (well... perhaps not...) at how often they fuck things up.

Motu
26th January 2007, 09:04
Bring back Srapheap! Now that's a show if you want to see fabrication,nutting out designs on the fly,changing and adapting.The first few seasons were the best and I have most on tape.These American shows are just soaps.But Mythbusters is damn good - same as Srapheap...they wing it and adapt,change the plan when it doesn't work.

And MOST important in Srapheap and Mythbusters - they have FUN!!! They laugh! How many belly laughs do you see on American Chopper or Monster Garage?

MikeyG
26th January 2007, 09:40
Horses for courses.....

They all look the same to me, and seem to focus on looks and how much chrome can be layered on to every other part, then the engine is thrown in as an afterthought. Suspension? Ergonomics? Instruments? We don't need that shit.....

However, a cruiser/chopper enthusiast watching an equivalent show about custom sports bikes wouldn't be interested in the little technical details of the engine, suspension, etc - they would just lament the fact that after all the tech work was done, the "looks" got a few seconds consideration and then some stock fairings were thrown on.

I can appreciate the art and the skills on display, but as someone said it's more a rolling piece of art than a functional motorcycle.

Be very interesting now that i think about it if there was a custom sprotsbike build show!

Read in a mag that the people who did biker build off are going to do a sports bike build off show. I'll look it up tonight and post more.

Paul in NZ
26th January 2007, 11:01
Bring back Srapheap! Now that's a show if you want to see fabrication,nutting out designs on the fly,changing and adapting.The first few seasons were the best and I have most on tape.These American shows are just soaps.But Mythbusters is damn good - same as Srapheap...they wing it and adapt,change the plan when it doesn't work.

And MOST important in Srapheap and Mythbusters - they have FUN!!! They laugh! How many belly laughs do you see on American Chopper or Monster Garage?

Bloody oath! They are as funny as heck sometimes. I think it was one of the later ones when the catapult flinging the mini tore it'self to bits - nothing staged there...

In my humble opinon.... The bikes OCC and the rest build are seldom choppers in the true sense. You don't buy a chopper from a pro - you buy a customised production bike from a low volume manufacturer. A real chopper is home made (often using bits out of a book) by a non pro.

Virago
26th January 2007, 11:06
Read in a mag that the people who did biker build off are going to do a sports bike build off show. I'll look it up tonight and post more.

Cool - something that the cruiser /chopper lovers can piss on........:dodge:

miSTa
26th January 2007, 11:47
I like to watch "Murkn Chopper" for the 'engineering' and bike stuff, but WalrusDude really pisses me off, coming in and yodelling at WalrusWannabe(Junior, III). While I know he's doing it because (a) the producer told him to, because the show would be too slow otherwise, and (b) he has nothing better to do, and (c) he has "issues", it's blardy annoying.
You and me both!

degrom
26th January 2007, 12:03
A real chopper is home made (often using bits out of a book) by a non pro.

Yes... That is how the non-pro becomes a pro.(People uses his parts and soon every one wants them)

I also feel if you have not done the chopping your self(at least some of it),it's not worth having a chopper. (What's the fun playing with lego's if every thing is built for you?)

Toaster
26th January 2007, 12:09
Was a great series to watch... entertaining. Shame its just repeats now.

degrom
26th January 2007, 12:21
Was a great series to watch... entertaining. Shame its just repeats now.

There's a nice show on ESPN called Chopper Nation Thursdays at 6:00PM.

Actually more in depth about the choppers them self.

disenfranchised
26th January 2007, 12:36

I'd love to see something like this..except maybe streetfighter and cafe racer styles, cause then there wouldn't be so much fairing to hide all the detailing.

I reckon even the biker build off show could include this....it can't be that every custom motorcycle builder in the states makes choppers.

Some of the effects they've used on the choopers would look awesome of a sportsbike...like the hubless rear wheel used on one of billy lane's bike in an earlier season.
http://www.rideontv.com/episodes/2003Season/CRN8009/images/8009.49.jpg

chanceyy
26th January 2007, 12:37
hmm enjoy it all the same .. love the widow bike 1 then the widow bike 2 outstanding to have a web designed petrol tank ..( real tank under the bike seat )was simply awesum to look at, the snap tools bike & fire bike outstanding designing

to me its art .. can not stand to look at pictures in a musesum but to watch them create bikes as they do ... its the kinda art I like ;)

surfer
26th January 2007, 14:21
I also feel if you have not done the chopping your self(at least some of it),it's not worth having a chopper. (What's the fun playing with lego's if every thing is built for you?)

Surely riding a chopper is what it's all about? I don't think I'd want to be that hard on someone for riding something they didn't build. Not everyone can wield a welding torch.:gob:

degrom
26th January 2007, 14:53
Surely riding a chopper is what it's all about? I don't think I'd want to be that hard on someone for riding something they didn't build. Not everyone can wield a welding torch.:gob:

LOL... True. But that's why I want to build all the stuff myself.

I have been asking a lot of questions on chopper building. The last part was
about frame building. When I talked about bending the tubes most of the people said I should get it bent and not import a propper benderd from the states.

So I asked about welding. Most of the people said I should have a welding certificate to do it and that I should rather take it to a proper welder and get it welded up.

So if I get the tube bent by "BOB" and welds done by "Tim"...
Who's frame is it? It's for sure not my F&#ing frame!!!
I might own it, but that's where it stops!!!

I think there is a lot of pride involved in chopper building!

Some like to be proud of what they built and other like to be proud of what they are riding.

surfer
26th January 2007, 15:18
LOL... True. But that's why I want to build all the stuff myself.

I have been asking a lot of questions on chopper building. The last part was
about frame building. When I talked about bending the tubes most of the people said I should get it bent and not import a propper benderd from the states.

So I asked about welding. Most of the people said I should have a welding certificate to do it and that I should rather take it to a proper welder and get it welded up.

So if I get the tube bent by "BOB" and welds done by "Tim"...
Who's frame is it? It's for sure not my F&#ing frame!!!
I might own it, but that's where it stops!!!

I think there is a lot of pride involved in chopper building!

Some like to be proud of what they built and other like to be proud of what they are riding.

Only too true dude. Good luck with your build.

Motoerhead
27th January 2007, 20:56
Bloody oath! They are as funny as heck sometimes. I think it was one of the later ones when the catapult flinging the mini tore it'self to bits - nothing staged there...

In my humble opinon.... The bikes OCC and the rest build are seldom choppers in the true sense. You don't buy a chopper from a pro - you buy a customised production bike from a low volume manufacturer. A real chopper is home made (often using bits out of a book) by a non pro.

yep thats the way to do.....most of the biker cant find here bikes back after a few beer in the pub as outside the bar all the bikes look the same....not my one...kiwi build homemade peace of chopper....hardtail for hardcore rider....:Punk:

kiwifruit
27th January 2007, 21:19
there was a good show on today, biker build off....
they made bikes for the track. one was a 150hp harley engined ohlins suspension cafe racer (looked farkin awesome), the other was a rigid frame, flat tracker style racer with a 950 ktm v twin...also very very nice :yes:

HanSoloNZ
27th January 2007, 22:04
How did they fit three Harley engines into the frame?

disenfranchised
28th January 2007, 07:34
they made bikes for the track. one was a 150hp harley engined ohlins suspension cafe racer (looked farkin awesome), the other was a rigid frame, flat tracker style racer with a 950 ktm v twin...also very very nice :yes:

Article with some photos here
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=3463&Page=1

degrom
28th January 2007, 08:08

Yes... The Cafe Racer/street fighter was really nice(The people from PMI)!!!

I uploaded pictures of there bikes last year (some pictures from PMI (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=358))

Was a really nice show,could see it's was the same people that made Monster Garage... (especially when they introduced the Builders slaves)