PDA

View Full Version : Transalp (or similar) wanted

Keith the Pom
21st September 2006, 23:39
Hi everyone - Newbie Keith calling ya! This is my very first post :confused: - so I would take much comfort from any responses ... [nervous] :hug:

My story is this: I shall be landing at AKL International on Saturday mid-morning, Dec 2nd. This will be my second visit to NZ this year, having spent most of January ('06) touring around both NI and SI on a mix of transportation, inc: internal flights, hire cars, and a rented BMW R1150RT.

My base will be Ruakaka (near Whangarei), Northland, North Island for four+ months. This is where my son, Mark, hangs out as a schoolteacher. Although my intention is to spend most of my time, especially after the Christmas & NY celebs are out of the way, touring around both islands exclusively on two wheels until early April '07.

I am, therefore, very much 'in the market' and now looking to buy a dual-purpose adventure-type bike, ideally something like a XL650V Transalp (always owned Hondas BTW). I shall keep this second ride in Ruakaka for future trips, both in NZ and Australia.

Can anyone here help me find a good second-hand Transalp? I ask because I notice that the m/c dealerships in NZ seem to be a bit lightweight with their stocks of Honda TAs. Having said that, I am exchanging e-mails with Grant Taylor at 'Cyclespot Honda' about this Honda TA (http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1684126&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz). Do any of you FINE FINE chaps know anything about this dealership? Yunno, the usual stuff, are they good peeps to do business with, etceteras?

Incidentally, in a couple of months' time I'll be "billy-no-mates" (apart from Marky) in a still quite unfamiliar country, with nothing more than: (1) a new-but-strange bike; and (2) brand new road maps of both NI & SI. So, it would be good to hook-up with some fellow riders here and there, now and again.

Kia Ora

Keith the Pom
(Current ride = '04 Honda ST1300)

oldrider
22nd September 2006, 00:35
G'day and welcome to KB and to NZ.

I ride a TransAlp 650 and live in the deep South, an hour and a bit from Mt Cook, so look us up when you do your South Island bit.

TransAlps are under appreciated in Australia and New Zealand but it's not a bad thing because it means there are some good buys to be had.

The people that own them are nearly all very satisfied with them as an ideal bike for NZ conditions.

I like your current ride,(ST 1300) they are nice bikes, one of my favourites.

Enjoy NZ, hope to see you some time. Cheers John.

Keith the Pom
22nd September 2006, 02:20
Thanks John. The farthest south we got last time was the Township of Wanaka. Did the Glaciers beforehand and then back to the southern slopes of Mts Cook & Sefton. I'm sure that you're familiar with the route we took.

But Mark's favourite region of SI is the Catlins area ... so I gotta go there.

Could be a cool thing to do the Cape Reinga ~~> to Bluff run (or vice versa) too.

Hope we can meet-up.

Cheers

Keith
(guess I better start practicing saying "No worries" :2thumbsup )

warewolf
22nd September 2006, 07:40
G'day, you lucky, lucky bastard! :msn-wink: Plenty of outstanding roads (sealed and unsealed) in that part of the country. The Pizza Barn at Waipu was a regular haunt of mine, along with the club at Ruakaka. I'm a caver as well, recently ex-Auckland, had many caving trips to Waipu.

Bought a used Honda NX650 Dominator from Cyclespot a few years ago. They are good keen chaps but drive a hard bargain. Chase them up promptly if required!

You will find that NZ is a bit 'light' on many, many things. Fortunately including people & traffic. Adventure bikes are a niche within a niche so numbers are quite low.

I'm in Nelson, if you are going to be in this area give me a shout.

Re: Cape Reinga to Bluff, exactly when in April are you leaving? See 9TH Southern Cross Road Rally (http://www.rustynuts.org.nz/default.aspx?PageID=40) run by the Rusty Nuts (http://www.rustynuts.org.nz/default.aspx?PageID=1).

PS Geez mate you sound familiar! Maybe we talked while you were in the SI sometime in January???

Transalper
22nd September 2006, 08:06
Hang around in these forums a while and you'll have more friends here than you know what to do with. If you hit the Christchurch region sometime be sure to post and we'll go adventuring

clint640
22nd September 2006, 08:41
Welcome Aboard!

I haven't seen any T/A's or similar in any of the local dealers, but I'll keep an eye out. If you do find anything you like in the Rotorua-Taupo area I could go have a look at it for you.

Definitely let us know when you're in town so we can catch up for a ride or a beer.

Cheers
Clint

Keith the Pom
22nd September 2006, 08:44
G'day to you too Colin ... although it's 9:45 pm in here the UK - on Thursday [yesterday] late evening.

The Rusty Nuts 'Cape Reinga to Bluff' run
DANG! I'm leaving AKL Int for San Francisco on Sun-Apr-08. That group run would have been great; I've heard a lot of good things about the Rusty Nuts Club too.

Closest we got to Nelson was the Township of Picton; just one night's stopover, to catch the ferry the next morning that steams out of the Queen Charlotte Sound to Wellington.

[Qoute: PS Geez mate you sound familiar! Maybe we talked while you were in the SI sometime in January???] ...

... I sound common mate; and I got a common face too! :mellow: see my ugly mug below. If we really did bump into each other back in January, then I would more than likely have been in a group of three. Does the threesome in the pic below on the south shoreline of Lake Tekapo (SI) look familiar? ... L>R - that's me, Mark (my son), and 'er indoors [double click on the 2nd pic].

BTW, 'er Indoors will not be travelling with me (result! .. :niceone:), although she is threatening to pop down for maybe 3 weeks, perhaps sometime in Jan or Feb :( ...

... Still, musn't grumble, the socks and undies might need a good laundry wash by that time!!

Thanks guys

Keith

DOUBLE DANG!! gotta make more time now - I think I'm gonna like this forum :2thumbsup

XP@
22nd September 2006, 11:43
Can anyone here help me find a good second-hand Transalp? I ask because I notice that the m/c dealerships in NZ seem to be a bit lightweight with their stocks of Honda TAs. Having said that, I am exchanging e-mails with Grant Taylor at 'Cyclespot Honda' about this Honda TA (http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1684126&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz). Do any of you FINE FINE chaps know anything about this dealership? Yunno, the usual stuff, are they good peeps to do business with, etceteras?

Ah, the call for transalp owners >;-)

Darn fine bike for this neck o the woods Even though I says so miself.

I purchased my TA from the very same man and he is a good one. even delivered (to wellytown) it for free!
The price on that TA seems a good one and blue is a good colour!
You can also look on trademe.co.nz for private sales.

Ruralman
22nd September 2006, 13:06
Hi there, I'm another T/A owner in South Otago and the closest to the catlins of anybody here. keep in touch as you get nearer arriving.
They are a great bike for NZ (as are some of the other big adventure tourers).
Cheers
Bruce

warewolf
22nd September 2006, 15:34
Does the threesome in the pic below on the south shoreline of Lake Tekapo (SI) look familiar?Vaguely, but that doesn't mean much; presume you weren't on the R1150GS at the time, then? I'd be more likely to chat to you if you were on a bike. We did a Molesworth/Hanmer/Rainbow trip in Jan, if we met it'd be somewhere thereabouts.

Keith the Pom
22nd September 2006, 16:08
Colin - Couldn't have been me then mate. See, I told you I woz common!

As my bimmer ride was from Auckland ~~> Coromandel Peninsular (Whitianga in particular) ~~> Tauranga ~~> Rotorua ~~> clockwise around L. Taupo to Te Kuitu/Waitomo ~~> Raglan ~~> then back to Auckland. Just four days on a bike was not enough, which is why it's gonna be 4 months this time around.

You got some of THE best riding in the world down there chaps, take it from me. Europe doesn't really compare (too much traffic; too many people; and too expensive). Although I guess it does have a lot of history and diverse culture going for it.

The nearest location that comes even close to your part of the world is the NW coast of Scotland - now that IS special. It's the only place I know where you get to ride great curves, from 100 mph sweepers -to- single track twisties, with great scenery; AND your speed is only limited by your ability. In other words, not a cop car - or a speed camera in sight, and very little traffic ... absolute bliss, so it is ... Och Aye!

Thanks for all your kind responses BTW.

Keith

Ruralman
22nd September 2006, 18:57
There's a couple of bikes in the latest Motorcycle trader
1 ex rental 2002 for $8495 from Thunderbike powersports www.thunderbike.co.nz
Doesn't say the mileage but these are very well serviced and if you're not going to be using it allthe time a higher mileage one is probably OK

Hastings Honda have a 2001 with 15,000km for $9995
www.hastingshonda.co.nz

Both of them are silver in colour
good luck

Zukin
22nd September 2006, 19:18
There's a couple of bikes in the latest Motorcycle trader
Doesn't say the mileage but these are very well serviced and if you're not going to be using it allthe time a higher mileage one is probably OK

Hastings Honda have a 2001 with 15,000km for $9995
www.hastingshonda.co.nz

Both of them are silver in colour
good luck

And Hastings Honda are very good.
Ask for Roger, he is an adventure rider himself and will only be too happy to help a fellow rider out :cool:

Let me know if you would like another set of eyes (or better photos) and I will be happy to accommodate you!
I live in Hawkes Bay

Cheers and welcome

Keith the Pom
22nd September 2006, 20:40
Thanks again - cor blimey, this is GREAT info.

I really like the look of that silver TA in Hastings; could be just the ticket. And whoo-whoo! it'll match my current ride - see attachment. Although the blue is cool lookin' too. I'll think I might send Roger an tentative enquiring e-mail.

The mileage (er, umm? - do you guys say 'kilometerage', or summin' else?) is very low for the year. A bit pricey for an '01 though.

Zukin - [how can I put this diplomatically, without sounding like a tight'arse?] - But, eh-hem ... how negotiable are prices in and around NZ; the Hastings Honda dealership in particular? Could I cut a price discount? or alternatively some extras (luggage add-ons, for instance?). Do you know how long Roger has had this particular Trannie in stock?

Coincidentally, the Hawkes Bay area is the one region of NZ that Mark (my son) has yet to visit. This could be his perfect reason :bash: - not that I would influence him in any way, of course!

Cheers

Keith

Zukin
22nd September 2006, 22:17
If you deal with Roger he will normally do a good price.

As I am often in there I dont recall seeing it there recently so it could a new edition to the used bikes there

HOWEVER

Often the prices are not the same online as they are on the bikes, so I will get in and have a look and see what price is on the ticket for ya!!

And if you do manage to get here let me know I would only be to happy to show you some of the off the beaten tracks around here.

Cheers Scott

warewolf
23rd September 2006, 11:57
Doesn't say the mileage but these are very well serviced and if you're not going to be using it allthe time a higher mileage one is probably OKLocal to me. I'm sure I've walked past the bike a few times in the last month! :cool:

Rental bikes are often serviced ahead of schedule, for two reasons: to avoid a service falling due while a customer has the bike out, and to give the bike the 'once over' when it comes back in. Rental bikes aren't necessarily high mileage, either. They have a lot more downtime than hire cars.

upshift
23rd September 2006, 12:02
The mileage (er, umm? - do you guys say 'kilometerage', or summin' else?) is very low for the year. A bit pricey for an '01 though.

Hi Keith, no there is no equivalent term for "mileage", the usual term here would be to say "the kilometres are very low for the year" Or, (and more commonly used in speech), "the k's are very low". The word "clicks" is sometimes used as well but mostly refers to km/h, "I was doing 160 clicks down the motoway" What can be a bit confusing is that some people, mostly dealers, will advertise a vehicle as "90 k" or even and very incorrectly, "90 km" when they mean 90,000 kilometres. And, of course we speak English here, not American, so it is "kilometres", not "kilometers"

cheers, Neil

upshift
23rd September 2006, 12:09
and yes, it is actually very common (perhaps even more usual) to still use the term mileage anyway despite it being km.

Keith the Pom
23rd September 2006, 20:29
Thanks for the explanations Neil, I'm a little wiser now ...
... BUT - can anyone explain to me what the term 'JAFA' really means??????? :corn:

upshift
23rd September 2006, 20:43
haha, wonder where you heard that?. A term used by those who don't live in Auckland to refer to an Aucklander. I avoid using it myself but generally it's not taken with offence, short for "Just Another F*#king Aucklander"

Keith the Pom
23rd September 2006, 21:20
Thanks Neil; again most enlightening. So it's really quite a 'naughty' acronym then, I'm shocked :innocent:

I've misled meself for these last 9 months, into believing that 'JAFA' meant just wot the State Highway 2 safety campaign billboards say, e.g.

“Just Another Fatigued Aucklander” &
"Just Another Fatal Accident”?

thanks again :niceone:

Keith

PS - Doh! And there was me figuring all the time that it could have really meant:
"Just Another F*#king Australian (or Aussie)" :laugh:

Keith the Pom
24th September 2006, 02:13
PPS – Neil (et all), I’ve been doing some thinking [ouch!] since most of you went to bed, and whilst you’ve been asleep. NB - it’s still yesterday (Saturday) mid-afternoon at 3:13pm where I am, and the sun is high and shining brightly – a lovely late summer’s day in fact.

Hope you don’t take any offence whatsoever from my little jibe above; there was none intended. I’m still trying to gauge the Kiwi sense of humour, and I might have got it wrong. Brit [friendly]sarcasm could be different from yours.

I’m very aware that I’m just a newbie here – and I don’t want to mess up ...well not too early, anyways! :rolleyes:

Now then, finally … y’all sleep tight down there, y’hear! :zzzz:

Regards

Keith the Pom

[PPS - G'nite John-boy]

fazer
24th September 2006, 21:10
Had a look at the Transalp at Hastings, looked ok, no apparent scrapes or dents, did think 10 thou a bit much for year tho.

Keith the Pom
25th September 2006, 00:03
Thanx for this effort fazer, I'm grateful.

On the strength of Ruralman's and Zukin's earlier recommendations I have today e-mailed an enquiry to Roger at Hastings Honda, specifically about this trannie + any others that might come into HH's stock between now and early/mid December.

Regards

Keith

Ruralman
25th September 2006, 22:07
Keith - please don't call them trannies - T/A for short is fine - that other word does have a couple of connotations I don't want anything to do with!!

Just out of interest Oldrider and I were at the Pissed Penguin rally at the weekend (great rally for those of you who missed it and we will post a report sometime this week I hope). One of the features of this rally is the afternoon group cruise rather than just sitting around once you arrive. John and I rode together and always parked the 2 T/A's together - they always attracted a heap of interest and lots of questions. People like the look of them but many had never seen one before or been aware of them - Honda could probably do more and sell more.
Interesting comment over heard by Oldrider and made by a german guy riding a GS1150 - someone asked him what those two bikes over there were (the 2 T/A's) - the german's comment was "those are the 2 most reliable bikes ever made!!" I hope he's right, only had mine about 8 months but like John I keep liking it more and more.

Keith the Pom
25th September 2006, 22:48
Ruralman - I gets yer drift! "T/A" it is then! Although I think you would do well to have a word with 'fazer' about all this (see his avatar :shit:)

Matters are progressing well on the ... eh-hem T/A front. I already have a few option. It all might mean quite a bit of travelling around both islands, viewing and checking-out all of these available options, but I am determined to nail down a deal before Christmas.

BTW, are accessories for T/As easy to get in NZ, or do you have to rely on imported stuff, via on-line transactions perhaps? I'm already looking to acquire a Bagster tank cover (see attached pic) upon which I can then mount my Bagster 'Athena' 15 Litre expandable ~~> 30 Litre tank bag. Would it be easier if I bought one of these covers up here before departure?

Thanks

Keith

PS - Can't wait for all this to happen. But there's just much to organise up here before the bird silver bird carries me off towards the setting sun on Wed-Nov-29.

warewolf
25th September 2006, 22:55
please don't call them tranniesYou're on to a hiding to nothing there, methinks! They are known the world over as Trannies. :whistle:

XP@
26th September 2006, 09:33
There was a thread on another board... where a guy was complaining about the unreliability of his TA turns out he had ridden it for 30,000 miles and then his headlight had blown... a bit crap if you ask me... my F650 would have gone through at least 500 bucks of bits in that time...

Here, we have a really limited choice of accessories and other gear, so bring it over.

BTW, How much is the baglux?

oldrider
26th September 2006, 12:31
Here, we have a really limited choice of accessories and other gear, so bring it over.

Hi Keith the Pom, speaking of after market thingies for TransAlps, I raised the question on another thread, if anyone new of an MRA Vario-Tourer windshield fitted to a 2000 onward TransAlp?
I have had no replies at all and Bob tried to find out something for me with no real luck but he did find some sites for me to try.
I found lots of other bikes with successful fitting of the screens but no TransAlps!
As you are still in the UK, would it be too much trouble for you to make an enquiry?
MRA are at (www.mra.de) if you are interested, they have a great range of aftermarket screens.
I think I will just take a punt and buy one but they are not cheap, I can get it through Desmodromics in Auckland.
Looking forward to meeting you when you get out here and down South, it's good to hear from others who have found faith in the T/A. Cheers John.

Keith the Pom
26th September 2006, 17:25
Yo, John! Whassup?

Firstly, I notice from your archived pics that your existing T/A screen is not the original stock item. It’s an aftermarket product – right? I say this because of the flip feature, which surely cannot be standard.

Incidentally, I have an aftermarket flip-top (http://www.st1300-accessories.co.uk/st1300_windscreens.html) screen on my ST1300, and wouldn’t change back to the original stocker for anything. The flip really does re-direct the airflow right over the top of your lid, thus cutting down the windblast noise by at least 50%.

The site URL you posted above links to a German m/c windshield distributor. Moreover, I cannot get this site to quote in GBP £s sterling, or any other darn currency for that matter! So with the inevitable hassle of paying for the goods in € Euros, plus shipping from Deutschland to Blighty, I think that MRA are, IMHO, a complete waste of space.

Better to go here (http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/honda_screens.htm) and deal with a Brit firm. As you can see, they retail flip screens for the T/A, at a cost of GBP £39.95, which converts to NZD $113.47.

Secondly, turning now to the question of a tank cover + tank bag. I must say that I wouldn’t want to be without either of these very useful accessories. Cuz you get full damage protection for the tank, and the custom-fitting tank bag that fastens on top can carry up to > 30 – 35 litres of extra baggage. Looks real cool too :cool: - see my attched pics below showing the set-up with the bag fully expanded.

There’s a new one going for auction on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-BAGLUX-BAGSTER-TANK-COVER-HONDA-XL600-TRANSALP_W0QQitemZ300029994182QQihZ020QQcategoryZ3 0240QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) right now from a seller who coincidentally lives just down the road from me. As you can see he’s asking GBP £55, or NZD $156.

Otherwise, full retail Bagster tank covers & bags are eazy-peazy to acquire up here. The costings are around GBP £75 (NZD $213) for each item. I simply order on-line or telephone instruct Baglux-Bagster UK (http://www.baglux.co.uk/) today, and the items turn-up on my doorstep tomorrow.

Now John, watcha want me to bring down for ya in a couple a months’ time mate?? Send me the list!

Regards

keith

fazer
26th September 2006, 20:34
keith the pom.... re my avatar, wouldn`t like to give the wrong impression... so changing it!!!!!!!!!

Bytor
7th November 2006, 10:54
Here's a newly listed one for yer

http://botanyhonda2.motorcycletrader.co.nz/Tig/Yard/Yard.aspx?UsedBikeID=2108166&DealerID=1050410&NoPBHeader=1&ShowLocation=false&ItemDetailsTemplate=AutobuyVertical&Alias=motorcycletradernz

Ruralman
7th November 2006, 21:21
There's about 3 on Trademe.co.nz at the moment - one of them has been reduced in price a couple of times and the asking is down to $9K and another a bit under that.