PDA

View Full Version : Headlight

Magua
24th June 2004, 20:28
The dip headlight does not work on my motorcycle, I don't think it's the bulb because it's worked once or twice recently, is there something I should look for, wiring or etc or just take it in to a shop. I know nothing about mechainics, basic things elude me so if you are going to post please put it in laymens terms.

Thanks.

Milky
24th June 2004, 21:19
First of all turn the light on, and fiddle with connections until you get performance or non performance. Try taking the plug off the back of the headlight, maybe spraying some crc in it then put it back on. Do the same with all the plugs that look like they are part of the headlight circuit. You could also look at taking the headlight glass off and turning the light on. Fiddle with the bulb to see if it is a weak connection in there that is the problem. Doing all this should help isolate the problem. If you still cant find it and are keen to continue, take the handlebar switch off and inflict the same treatment on that too. Depends on the state of your tools/time/technical knowhow as to how far you go. Chances are that if you take it into the shop immediately, you will see them pull a plug off and put it on again and the problem will be fixed, leaving you standing there feeling like you have wasted your $$$. My personal preference is to do as much as I can myself... it makes you understand the machine a bit better, and hopefully saves you a bit of dosh.
Remember that you never would have learned to walk without experimenting and falling down first :msn-wink:
Where do you store your bike btw? is it inside?

Drunken Monkey
25th June 2004, 08:54
The dip headlight does not work on my motorcycle, I don't think it's the bulb because it's worked once or twice recently, is there something I should look for, wiring or etc or just take it in to a shop. I know nothing about mechainics, basic things elude me so if you are going to post please put it in laymens terms.

Thanks.

I had the exact same symptoms on my first gixxer - the problem was a faulty headlamp loom. This somehow burnt out the starter switch as well (same part of the loom). If you're not so up with the techo stuff, you should drop it off and get it looked at. If you're handy with a multi-meter, you should be able to resolve.

Paul in NZ
25th June 2004, 09:44
Or you could just go mad with your wallet and replace the bulb...

Perhaps the filament is broken and the loose end is flapping about and every now and then reconnects and welds itself on...

(hey, it happens OK)

it's not like the bulbs cost a fortune and sadly, they don't last forever.

Try that first! Then start pulling things to bits and getting out meters etc. just think what an arse you would feel if you dismantled half the bike to find it was a duff bulb???

Paul N

ps 90% of electrical problems are mechanical and most mechanical problems are electrical... <_<

Dr Bob
25th June 2004, 09:51
Change the bulb, and then look for problems. If it aint the bulb then you at least have a spare to put in your toolkit when you really do need it.

If it is the bulb, then also check for any loose brackets in the headlight mount. Excessive vibration may cause continual bulb replacements.

Motu
25th June 2004, 10:10
Most dip switches are pissarse useless things - hit it with some electrical cleaner with the tubey thing on so you can get the spray in the gaps - keeps your eyes close to the action,it doesn't half sting eh?

F5 Dave
25th June 2004, 17:12
Will agree with the self repairing bulb theory, have seen it before.

Best thing to do is borrow a multimeter (or buy one from TrickyDicky for ~$30) set for DC volts & poke the black lead to ground (-) of battery will do, & the red to each of the bulb leads (try on high beam first) until you find power, turn to low, if you find none then it’s a wiring fault, if you do a bulb fault. Anyone can use a meter.

But further early Suzuki’s do have a habit of Rectifier problems (blowing bulbs is a symptom) so it is worthwhile checking your charging voltage. Put the meter over the battery while the bike is running. If it gets to 15V or above then you have a problem that will require addressing.

FROSTY
25th June 2004, 17:18
If you replace the blown bulb and it aint the bulb after checking that all the wires are actually properly plugged in then Yep Id try cleaning the hi/lo switch for corrossion on the switch surfaces -sure as ebggs on such a late model bike itll be one of those things

Redstar
2nd July 2004, 22:15
You could run a bypass direct to the bulb input? from +battery use a sewing needle pushed into the loom wire if it lights go backwards through the switch circuit caution if you undo the twist grip to access the switch the throttle cable may unwrap and if you have duel cables you may wish you never opened it.Been there.
dont foget the earth side of the bulb may be dodgey(but if main is ok)not.
the problem with bulb replacement is originals are expensive up to $95 :shit:
you can sometimes get away with a car one varta $12 and modify it to fit.