PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here with a TDM?

unhingedlizard
22nd September 2006, 17:45
What do you get to a tank km's wise?

warewolf
23rd September 2006, 12:00
What do you get to a tank km's wise?TDM or did you mean TDR?

I had an early TDM but the later ones have bigger tanks and EFI.

unhingedlizard
23rd September 2006, 17:13
I have a TDR, getting a 2004 TDM.

Oscar
25th September 2006, 14:24
What do you get to a tank km's wise?

I had a TDM850.
I think it had a 18l tank.
Got about 300-350km.

unhingedlizard
25th September 2006, 18:22
really? Sweet. Need some more tank range. Cheers.

oldrider
25th September 2006, 20:21
I have had absolutely no exposure to a TDM at all, haven't even really seen many about either, so please, feel free to tell us all about yours!
Don't hold back, tell it like it is, I for one am very keen to hear about it. Cheers John.

warewolf
25th September 2006, 22:44
I had a '92 TDM 850 for 13 months/30,000km. Mine only had a 16L tank, so range was only about 250km max. Pics here (http://www.myfilehut.com/members/browse/340/mc%2Fbikes%2Fyamaha%2Ftdm850/).

Fantastic motor, suspension and brakes. Top heavy and poor weather protection from the fairing. The first-generation Hinckley Triumph Tiger had a much more effective fairing. Brilliant headlights, but only after the OEM 35/35W bulbs were replaced with typical 55/60W jobs.

At something like 2800rpm the power would chime in like a two-stroke. Hitting this with any throttle in top gear (about 90-odd km/h) on a dirt road would send the bike fishtailing up the road spinning the rear.

Very much fun to ride. Stonking get up & go, very torquey, I thought. Stonking brakes (off the FZR thou') and the suspension would soak up anything you'd ever find on tarmac. Initially I was trying to steer the thing around big bumps/obstacles, until I discovered it just soaked everything up. After that, I was steering into the bumps & potholes, trying to see what would upset it. Nothing ever did. :2thumbsup

But I wouldn't call it an adventure bike, which is why I got rid of it. Street tyres, top heavy, street-stiff suspension.

unhingedlizard
26th September 2006, 17:39
Havent got mine yet, picking it up on Saturday. A 2004 Blue/black TDM900.
Like a bigger brother to my Two stroke TDR250.
Wouldnt imagine it would be that good offroad. Gravel tracks are about it. But it isnt a sports bike either. Needed something that went further than 150 to a tank and had enough boot to overtake better. very comfy too.

Oscar
26th September 2006, 17:55
I was pretty happy with my 850 - I only sold it 'cause I stumbled over a V-Strom that was stoopidly cheap...

It did work well on gravel, the odd (easy) trail and the beach.

unhingedlizard
26th September 2006, 20:58
I Looked at the vstrom (didnt test it but) but prefered the styling of the TDM. Also like Yamaha's. Will tell me once i have it in my hot little hands.