PDA

View Full Version : GN250 - Speedo Failure

Terminated
22nd September 2006, 19:49
Went for a ride this afternoon and noticed the speedo needle 'bouncing' a little kept an eye on it and then it just died and the speedo didn't register at all.

Pull over undid the top connection and moved the bike forward several paces - the cable didn't move one bit.

Got home got the bike up on the stand and front wheel off the ground - undid the top cable connection, spun the wheel nothing the cable didn't move at all.

Just had the bike in for a service this week and new tyres - done less than 300km when the speedo spat the dummy.

Could this be a lower speedo gear housing problem - me thinks?

Phoned Wellington Motorcycles and they said bring it in tomorrow morning 9.30. Bike is only four months old - reckon this would be a warranty thing?

merv
22nd September 2006, 20:45
Chances are the lower end of the cable has broken off.

quickbuck
22nd September 2006, 23:09
Yep, take the cable off at the bottom end and you will be able to pull a small piece out.
This is not a design feature, your cable is stuffed.

The bouncing of the needle is the cable frayed and starting to unwind itself.
My CBR did this for over 2 1/2 years. It must have only been one wire, but it eventually failed.

4 Months old, well in the trade it is called "Infant Mortality". Some things follow the classic bath tub curve when it comes to failure, and you just happened to get one at the beginning of it.
You could try it on for a warranty claim, nothing to loose there. Good news is that they (well mine was) only $50. Could be cheaper being a Suzuki, don't know.

Tacoman
23rd September 2006, 08:50
Gidday mate I currently have the same speedo problem I went for a ride like a month ago and the niddle did exacly the same thing went home put the bike on the stand and the cables were ok.

I thought for a moment that the niddle unit was stuffed but at the end found that that the "speedo drive unit" (inside wheel ) is stuffed so its going to take 2 to 3 weeks to get it from bike dealership. I have not been able to find one 2nd hand.

a good tip to check if the cable is ok & turning is get a cordless drill and insert the speedo cable (pull it off from the bottom of the wheel) inside the cordless drill press the drill button as the cable moves,check your clock unit if the needle is moving then the unit and the cable is ok. Thats what i did to find out that the speedo drive was stuffed.

all the best

Terminated
23rd September 2006, 21:58
I thought for a moment that the niddle unit was stuffed but at the end found that that the "speedo drive unit" (inside wheel ) is stuffed.

Had it at the shop this morning - yes same problem the speedo drive unit seized-up, there ordering in the bit/s on Monday, should be ready end of Tuesday else Wednesday.

Heads Up and Enjoy The Ride

McJim
23rd September 2006, 22:03
It's free mileage dude - if the speedo cable doesn't connect it's very likely that the odometer isn't measuring distance either.

Guess the speeds and have fun. :)

sunhuntin
30th September 2006, 17:45
mine did that coming back from paeroa this year. sucked riding home from tirau-ish not knowing my speed, or how many k's between gas stations. took the shop 5 weeks to get the part in, so 5 weeks of no speedo or odo. jerks.
i just played on the side of caution...filled before i needed too, and kept my speed decent, judging feel of bike, wind in my face and revs on the rev counter.
actually, that needle is hopping all over the show as well. must mention it at next service!