PDA

View Full Version : Bikes and heels...

Meekey_Mouse
23rd September 2006, 07:18
OK... sorry if this is a completly blonde question, but.... can you ride a bike in heels? If so, how do you change the gears.. as wouldn't the heel get caught on the footpeg?

Guys... you're more then welcome to comment on this.... but I would like advice from some one who has worn heels on a bike before. So it will worry me if you have any advice ;) hehe

Kendog
23rd September 2006, 07:22
Another early bird hey!! What kind of heels are we talking here, like stilettos or just a decent heeled boot? I would suggest no to the first and give it a try to the second. I personally don't like the heel on my riding boots to be any more than about 2 inches, but that's just what I feel comfy with, too easy to get caught up and stuck on pegs. Same goes for shoes with chunky kind of grip on the sole. Good luck.
Mrs KD.

bobsmith
23rd September 2006, 09:05
my gf actually likes riding with one of her heeled boots (heel only about 3/4 inch high) the heel is at exactly right place on her boots so that she can hook the heel behind the pegs and her feet are in perfect position to change gears and use the brake though... She's not home now to give first person accounts but will ask her more when she gets home this afternoon. exactly what aspect of riding with heels concerns you?

Mind you she only enjoys riding with that one pair of boots and no other heels if you have small feet or the heel is at the wrong place you might find that your feet are not in proper place to shift gears and brake I imagine...

[edit] - additionally when I'm not wearing my riding boots (which is very rare) I am wearing my black dress shoes which have soles about half a centimeter high... hang on my riding boots do too... they just tuck behind the pegs when I'm riding and lets me change gears but again, if you can't reach the pegs with the heel or sole tucked behind the pegs you might have trouble.

Meekey_Mouse
23rd September 2006, 09:08
Another early bird hey!! What kind of heels are we talking here, like stilettos or just a decent heeled boot? I would suggest no to the first and give it a try to the second. I personally don't like the heel on my riding boots to be any more than about 2 inches, but that's just what I feel comfy with, too easy to get caught up and stuck on pegs. Same goes for shoes with chunky kind of grip on the sole. Good luck.
Mrs KD.

Hey thanks Mrs KD :) Lol, a couple of pairs of boots... none of them have stilettos though. I think I'd prefer to ride in proper bike boots (with no heel) but I was just thinkin bout the few times I'll be going into to town and would rather not take 2 pairs of shoes but wanting to wear heels ( I need the height:o ) so I'm just trying 2 find out now what would be more suitable and if it's possible... instead of trying my self and possibly falling over the bike or something incredibly ditzy like that :D.

Thanks again,

Jaz

u4ea
23rd September 2006, 09:14
personally im not thet comfortable riding with any sort of heel...i dont like the prospects of getting "caught up" in an emergency situation.......but at the end of the day its what youre comfortable with....:2thumbsup

Meekey_Mouse
23rd September 2006, 09:14
my gf actually likes riding with one of her heeled boots (heel only about 3/4 inch high) the heel is at exactly right place on her boots so that she can hook the heel behind the pegs and her feet are in perfect position to change gears and use the brake though... She's not home now to give first person accounts but will ask her more when she gets home this afternoon. exactly what aspect of riding with heels concerns you?

Mind you she only enjoys riding with that one pair of boots and no other heels if you have small feet or the heel is at the wrong place you might find that your feet are not in proper place to shift gears and brake I imagine...

[edit] - additionally when I'm not wearing my riding boots (which is very rare) I am wearing my black dress shoes which have soles about half a centimeter high... hang on my riding boots do too... they just tuck behind the pegs when I'm riding and lets me change gears but again, if you can't reach the pegs with the heel or sole tucked behind the pegs you might have trouble.

Thanks :D yea... it is exactly that that I was worried about most... as I found with my old TT250 (dirt bike) that I would have to organize all the gears and stuff before I would hit bumps as I couldn't stand and change gears as my feet were to short to reach the gear lever whilst standing. I guess it's just a matter of hopping on the bike, checking it all before riding any where?

Jaz

Colapop
23rd September 2006, 09:18
Depends on where you're going in town. I mean you wouldn't take the bike if you're gonna be wearing a dress and high heels would ya? The thing is whatever boots you wear, if you wear them enough while riding, you'll end up scuffing them up anyway. I say embrace the height restriction you've been given. Wear whatever is comfortable and easy to get on or off (I give the same advice to all the women I know):whistle:

Meekey_Mouse
23rd September 2006, 09:22
Depends on where you're going in town. I mean you wouldn't take the bike if you're gonna be wearing a dress and high heels would ya? The thing is whatever boots you wear, if you wear them enough while riding, you'll end up scuffing them up anyway. I say embrace the height restriction you've been given. Wear whatever is comfortable and easy to get on or off (I give the same advice to all the women I know):whistle:

Lol... first things first.... I dont wear dresses :Pokey: . Apart from the school balls :p

Haha but yea... i usually go for comfort over height

bobsmith
23rd September 2006, 09:24
I agree with colapop, why would you want to be tall anyway... short buggers like me will just hate you for being tall...

edit - I always say, "I'm not short, everyone else is just too tall"

Colapop
23rd September 2006, 09:30
I had school balls ... once upon a time many moons ago. Never wore dresses though. Tall is good, short is good, the only problem you should worry about is whether you're hung up about it (like Bobsmith).
Wearing (boots with) heels shouldn't be a problem. If you change gear with the top of your toes (I assume everyone does) you'd have to have pretty tiny (like small childs size) feet not to have the peg in the arch of your foot with whatever size heel hanging off the back of the peg.

Nicksta
23rd September 2006, 18:32
i dont ride in heels.... the Sidi's have a slight heel on them... they are great when pillioning... and changing gears when riding.....
years ago i pillioned with chunky heels and it sucked..... couldnt get cumfy on the peg...
so i would go for a small chunky heel if you must....

Panther
23rd September 2006, 18:38
hey there,
i sometimes where my high heels, but then i also sometimes ride in a mini skirt, and even in bare feet. but if you want to keep your feet if you are in an accident and get run over or something wear your riding boots all the time and take your fancey shoes with you under your seat. its really not worth the risk.

Keystone19
23rd September 2006, 18:50
Try the Sidi Rose Tepor boot. It is a black leather waterproof boot and when worn under jeans/pants etc looks like a nice dress boot but has built in armour for riding. I wear this virtually every day throughout winter and it has yet to wear down anywhere.

Kendog
23rd September 2006, 19:11
Try the Sidi Rose Tepor boot. It is a black leather waterproof boot and when worn under jeans/pants etc looks like a nice dress boot but has built in armour for riding. I wear this virtually every day throughout winter and it has yet to wear down anywhere.

I got a pair of these and they are awesome boots, really nice to look at, look like styley boots, comfy as and lovely to ride in, not cheap, but worth every cent I reckon.
Mrs KD.

Maha
23rd September 2006, 19:18
hey there,
i sometimes where my high heels, but then i also sometimes ride in a mini skirt, and even in bare feet. but if you want to keep your feet if you are in an accident and get run over or something wear your riding boots all the time and take your fancey shoes with you under your seat. its really not worth the risk.

You need to join MM in the ''am i stupid or what'' corner.....
Her question isnt so much blonde....more WTF? ......heels? fucken' crack up and a piss take, has to be?

Colapop
23rd September 2006, 19:40
hey there,
i sometimes where my high heels, but then i also sometimes ride in a mini skirt, and even in bear feet. but if you want to keep your feet if you are in an accident and get run over or something wear your riding boots all the time and take your fancey shoes with you under your seat. its really not worth the risk.
Where are your high heels? Is your bike a miniskirt? Do you have bear feet? Have you been run over alot?
There is so much about that post that confuses me...

bobsmith
23rd September 2006, 20:02
I'm still trying to picture how someone riding a bike in mini skirt would appear.... MMMmmmmm....

Colapop
23rd September 2006, 20:11
Probably really quickly, by surpise and be gone before you knew it!

FROSTY
23rd September 2006, 20:21
ask dover about riding in heels--Im sure hes got an idea or two

McJim
23rd September 2006, 20:23
I'm still trying to picture how someone riding a bike in mini skirt would appear.... MMMmmmmm....

Couldnae get ma hands on a miniskirt but I've hitched the kilt up a wee bit for ye!

If this doesnae drive ye back tae cop bashin' nuthin ever will!

Panther
23rd September 2006, 22:47
You need to join MM in the ''am i stupid or what'' corner.....
Her question isnt so much blonde....more WTF? ......heels? fucken' crack up and a piss take, has to be?

Ofcourse I'm taking the piss, check out my avatar!

Maverick
25th September 2006, 16:34
Couldnae get ma hands on a miniskirt but I've hitched the kilt up a wee bit for ye!

McJim,

I know your Bling status says that you are "A splendid one to behold" But FFS, I really didnt need to see that!
(My eyes! Why does it Burn!?!)

:Pokey:

yungatart
25th September 2006, 16:44
McJim,

I know your Bling status says that you are "A splendid one to behold" But FFS, I really didnt need to see that!
(My eyes! Why does it Burn!?!)

:Pokey:

thats a bit harsh - I actually thought that he had rather nice legs....

McJim
25th September 2006, 17:12
thats a bit harsh - I actually thought that he had rather nice legs....

Why thank'ee kindly ma'am. I still have those legs although my wife says they are not my best feature....

Colapop
25th September 2006, 17:14
Ofcourse I'm taking the piss, check out my avatar!
Oh, so it's coz your blonde?

Panther
25th September 2006, 19:17
Oh, so it's coz your blonde?

Yes, most definatly!
I'd like to start a fund for the other auckland girls that are also challenged in simple tasks due to their hair colour, feel free Colapop to pm me for details of my trust fund account in which you can deposit your dontaion.
Please note that sheep stolen from wainuiomata will not be accepted, violated or not.
:stupid: :bleh:

Mom
25th September 2006, 19:32
Hate to give a Mom answer to this..:blip: ... but........have you heard the saying "all the gear all the time"? Most boots I have seen with heels are seriously for looking good not safety.......wear a back pack with the sexy heels in to put on later..

I spent years commuting to work on a bike......all the gear......changed at work......I still send letters to my MP complaining about cow shit on the roads, that is not a good look when you get to work..

I remember once riding from Greenlane to Howick with my work shoes on...very expensive that......had to buy new shoes for work ( I nursed) as my lovely white leather ones turned an ugly shade of street grime in the rain.

Colapop
25th September 2006, 19:42
Yes, most definatly!
I'd like to start a fund for the other auckland girls that are also challenged in simple tasks due to their hair colour, feel free Colapop to pm me for details of my trust fund account in which you can deposit your dontaion.
Please note that sheep stolen from wainuiomata will not be accepted, violated or not.
:stupid: :bleh:
I'll give you a donation... I'll make the deposit personally! :bleh:

Panther
25th September 2006, 20:06
um so where will you deposit it personally?

Colapop
25th September 2006, 20:41
Depends on where your branch is located...

Panther
25th September 2006, 21:11
uh levin.....

McJim
26th September 2006, 12:07
I'll give you a donation... I'll make the deposit personally! :bleh:

um so where will you deposit it personally?

Depends on where your branch is located...

uh levin.....

Well this completely failed to go anywhere - I was watching this with interest as well...:corn: :corn: :corn:

Wondered what kind of 'Deposit' Colapop was talking about:blip:

Lil_Byte
26th September 2006, 12:45

Arrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!:beer: :beer: :beer:

Str8 Jacket
26th September 2006, 12:48
Jeepers, riding in heels?! I cant even walk properly on the damn things! I own a pair Doc Martens and wear them everywhere except the gym. Though in saying that, they are looking very "well used" and I am going to replace them with proper riding boots one day.

McJim
26th September 2006, 12:48
Arrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!:beer: :beer: :beer:

No amount of beer will make me pretty bud...why do you think I kept the lid on?

I defy Beer Goggles.

SDU
26th September 2006, 15:13
I reckon this Gal might like to get her knee down on her way for a night out! :beer:

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
26th September 2006, 15:40
In my photo you will see I'm in heels. 3-4 inch thick heel ones - the BMW was quite a high beast and one day I was lazy and didn't take of my dress boots - made a big difference in me being able to maneuver that bike, and I felt more stable when at standstill astride the bike and it was windy!! so continued to wear them until I sold that bike. I had no problem changing gear at all. I couldn't afford proper motorbike boots at the time - however I fell off the bike with the "heels" once and boots held up well. (I now have proper motorbike boots). Would never recommend stilleto type. There is no room for vanity when riding a bike.

Colapop
26th September 2006, 16:37
Well this completely failed to go anywhere - I was watching this with interest as well...:corn: :corn: :corn:

Yeah - I'm kinda gutted too. No-one will play with me anymore (No Maurice, not now!)

Maha
26th September 2006, 16:40

Well my guess would beeeeeeeee?.... a wee biege jobby......:killingme

davereid
26th September 2006, 22:24
Heels are fine on bikes... my missus has a pair of high heeled boots, they look great, and she finds them warm and comfy. So if you liike heels, and you look good in them , wear them. (I don't like them they pinch my toes.)

mstriumph
5th October 2006, 15:38
i rode in boots with 2.5 inch heels when i first got the fazer 'cause she was taller than i was used to ........ i mean, i could flat-foot on the ground on the fazer without but i'd been used to the triumph which was a good bit lower

wear the sidis all the time now - but dusted off those other boots recently for a calendar shoot over here ........ first time i've ever ridden a bike without a helmet, too - but it was a controlled situation :innocent:

....... don't try this at home, kiddies ........

Beemer
14th October 2006, 19:04
OK... sorry if this is a completly blonde question, but.... can you ride a bike in heels? If so, how do you change the gears.. as wouldn't the heel get caught on the footpeg?

Not a good idea - and those riding with big heels look like dorks! Only Harley pillions wear heels. And hang out with them too.

Midnight Special
27th April 2007, 23:13
sturdy heels would be ok i guess never tried them but would reck your good boots changing gears i would of thought . that waent a dig at harley riders was it Beemer ?

ajturbo
27th April 2007, 23:27
ask buellbabe about heels and riding......:love:

dman
28th April 2007, 00:20
I agree with colapop, why would you want to be tall anyway... short buggers like me will just hate you for being tall...

edit - I always say, "I'm not short, everyone else is just too tall"I'm not tall, is just that everybody else is a little teeny shorty.

buellbabe
3rd May 2007, 12:32
Heels? You bet!
I have a boot fetish and have yet to find a pair of 'proper' motorcycle boots that turn me on.
My riding boots have a 2" chunky heel and a pointed toe. The leather is as tough as any other bike boot and they are supremely comfortable. I can ride in them all day long and party in them all night long.

Also I like having some extra height cos I amd only 5'3" and my bike is tall! Helps me to get a foot 'flat' on the ground when stopped.

And no the heel doesn't get caught... I ride with the balls of feet on the pegs so not an issue anyway. A few weeks back I went for a short ride in flat footwear and just DID NOT feel comfortable so its a personal thing and what you are used to I guess.
Please yaself, thats what I reckon.

And yes! I have even been known to ride in stillettos sometimes...but only on a short journey (Auckland-Whangamata) to a biker party...

KATWYN
3rd May 2007, 16:28
Gosh heels would look pretty darn sexy as riding boots. But i've always thought that the heel itself would have to be pretty strong to handle the
weight of the bike when you are manouvering it around.

Would be all over if they happen to break.....

Unit
9th January 2008, 11:11
Do my Jonny Rebs count? They have a good heal on them, I should dig them out and wear them more :blip:

sweetp
9th January 2008, 20:14
Have no idea on the ability to ride in boots but I think that the gear changing could cause scuffing. Most bike boots have reinforcing across the top to give extra life and dont have a shine to scuff. But hey if you are only wearing them once in a while it may not be an issue, and if you are like me you will have a shoe polishing kit at work anyway.....

maxworldbiker
18th January 2008, 13:15
Heels? You bet!
I have a boot fetish and have yet to find a pair of 'proper' motorcycle boots that turn me on.
My riding boots have a 2" chunky heel and a pointed toe. The leather is as tough as any other bike boot and they are supremely comfortable. I can ride in them all day long and party in them all night long.

Also I like having some extra height cos I amd only 5'3" and my bike is tall! Helps me to get a foot 'flat' on the ground when stopped.

And no the heel doesn't get caught... I ride with the balls of feet on the pegs so not an issue anyway. A few weeks back I went for a short ride in flat footwear and just DID NOT feel comfortable so its a personal thing and what you are used to I guess.
Please yaself, thats what I reckon.

And yes! I have even been known to ride in stillettos sometimes...but only on a short journey (Auckland-Whangamata) to a biker party...

I relate to this totally. I started riding waaayy back in the seventies, when platform shoes were all the rage, and I wore them on my bikes quite successfully for years. God knows how I ever changed gear, looking back. I'm vertically challenged too, at just five feet two inches, and believe it fellas, to a lot of short gals heels are really important. A lot of us like our men tall but we don't want to have to carry a step ladder around. I too have never managed to find a pair of true bike boots that were comfy and looked reasonable, so I ride in a pair of so-called "fashion boots" (cringe!) with 4" heels, but they're chunky and they look great with jeans and leathers, as well as long dresses and skirts. Bit of wear and tear on the inside of the heel as I have metal footpegs on the bike, but it all adds to their characted and doesn't affect their comfort and stability in any way at all. Anything is possible if you can find a way to do it, just be aware of the safety issues of wearing footwear with a flimsy heel, as its important to be able to get as much of your feet flat on the ground for stability when the need arises, and exposed parts of the foot are a lot more vulnerable to random injury, like loose stones or broken glass kicked up by someone in front of you, and stingy insecty things hitting you and doing damage is another hazard.

chrispy121
7th February 2008, 13:23
I dont wear them ha because i am a guy but I have a female friend that does
Icon make them

buellbabe
7th February 2008, 13:33
ha ha... I like them but I wouldn't wear them on my bike cos I think the angle would make them uncomfortable. Not enuf flexibilty in the sole...

Her_C4
7th February 2008, 13:37
...and this is what I had to do to my bike boots to be able to touch the ground. :banana: :niceone:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1201008&postcount=58

I wore 'fashion' boots for height when I had a 'bit' of an off. The boots were totalled :crybaby: and I was lucky I did not have more serious injury to my foot / ankle.

ATGATT?? :Pokey:

Rosie
7th February 2008, 13:40
Icon make them

:blink: and the wedge heels are ok for operating the controls?

Number One
7th February 2008, 13:53
Icon make them

Crikey now THEY ARE FMBs' :clap:

Rosie
7th February 2008, 14:38
Crikey now THEY ARE FMBs' :clap:

And they also come in white :shifty::laugh:

Number One
7th February 2008, 14:40
And they also come in white :shifty::laugh:

oooo eeerrr and there I was thinking about getting some Gaerne GRW Aquatechs...couldn't trot those out with a skirt on a Friday :laugh: Well I could but ewwwww

shazza
4th December 2008, 21:21
Hi ya my riding boots are about two inches fat heels just enough but not too much they fit pufectly on the pegs and have no problem changing gears but when i ride to work on bike I have my steel caps on and they are actually more uncomfortable to ride with because they are steel capped and my heels dont hold my shoes on the pegs just look around and find the right boots for you :niceone:

witchblade
4th December 2008, 22:01
well, high heels do look good on riding a bike and it can be comfortable just that certain boots makes a little bit difficult to change gear but overall, its a no biggy, its a juz matter of getting used to and figuring how to ride with it. I find high heels boots with thick base are far better than those thin base heels for a more grip on the road.

Its ain't a common sight for singapore riders to wear full riding gear or riding boots. :)

buellbabe
5th December 2008, 12:22
The zip went on my HD boots so I have been wearing stiletto knee high boots for a couple of months. OMG! they are so comfortable to ride in and moving the bike is piss easy.

One of the rules of the club I belong to (Slappas MC) is "no sensible boots allowed" hahahahaha

Actually I do own a pair of Dainese but around town and weekend rides I will usually wear the HD boots, zip fixed now :msn-wink:

WierNixie
8th December 2008, 20:06
Try Icon Bombshell Women's Leather Boots they won't get stuck on the peg.

prettybillie
11th December 2008, 08:00
personally im not thet comfortable riding with any sort of heel...i dont like the prospects of getting "caught up" in an emergency situation.......but at the end of the day its what youre comfortable with....:2thumbsup

I saw a girl the other day riding with a fabulous pair of heeled boots. However, she came off and when she put her foot down there was no support under ankle and you could almost hear the boes crumbling. Eeekk looked really painful!!!!!! :doctor:

buellbabe
11th December 2008, 11:41
Damn! Thats no good...:(

Brownbikerbabe
11th December 2008, 12:08
I saw a girl the other day riding with a fabulous pair of heeled boots. However, she came off and when she put her foot down there was no support under ankle and you could almost hear the boes crumbling. Eeekk looked really painful!!!!!! :doctor:

Yikes! Now she'll be wearing a new boot...the kind they fit you with in the hospital.