PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problems!

dhunt
23rd September 2006, 19:17
Hi Guys,

I've been having a few issues with the brakes on my 400. With the front brakes I can pull the lever back to the bar which I'm not very happy with at all. So I thought it has to be the brake lines so I've put new braided lines on and cleaned the calipers out. This still didn't fix the problem!!!

Then today I put a new master cyclinder kit in and it's still just as bad. I'm fairly confidant that I've bled the brakes good enough that they should be a lot better than this.

Any ideas?

degrom
23rd September 2006, 19:38
What state are your brake-pads and disks in?

degrom
23rd September 2006, 19:42
Hi Guys,

I've been having a few issues with the brakes on my 400. With the front brakes I can pull the lever back to the bar which I'm not very happy with at all. So I thought it has to be the brake lines so I've put new braided lines on and cleaned the calipers out. This still didn't fix the problem!!!

Then today I put a new master cyclinder kit in and it's still just as bad. I'm fairly confidant that I've bled the brakes good enough that they should be a lot better than this.

Any ideas?

Have you checked the adjusters that is located at the master cylinders end of the brake lever? I know some bikes you can set the lever pulling distance...

dhunt
23rd September 2006, 19:50
What state are your brake-pads and disks in?
pads are half worn. Discs are pretty good (Well within spec)

Have you checked the adjusters that is located at the master cylinders end of the brake lever? I know some bikes you can set the lever pulling distance...
Nah none on this bike :(

imdying
23rd September 2006, 19:56
Probably not bled right, did you prime the master cylinder before attaching the hoses? When you cleaned out the calipers, I take it you mean you have all of the pistons out?

degrom
23rd September 2006, 19:59
How does the brake leaver feel? Soft,hard?

imdying
23rd September 2006, 20:05
Oh yeah, can you pull the lever back to the bar whilst you're riding?

dhunt
23rd September 2006, 20:23
Probably not bled right, did you prime the master cylinder before attaching the hoses? When you cleaned out the calipers, I take it you mean you have all of the pistons out?
Yeah I've bled all the air out the master cylinder. Yip pulled all the pistons out and cleaned everything out. I'll probably give it another go bleeding tomorrow as there isn't much else that I can see to be the problem.

How does the brake leaver feel? Soft,hard?
It never gets very hard which is why I'm trying to figure but there is defintely pressure there is just never gets hard hard.

Oh yeah, can you pull the lever back to the bar whilst you're riding?
Yes You would be able to do that no problem at all.

marty
23rd September 2006, 20:31
are you sure you didn't put the clutch and brake back on the wrong way around?

dhunt
23rd September 2006, 20:39
are you sure you didn't put the clutch and brake back on the wrong way around?
Haha - I wish it was that simple :doh: :argh:

xsive-rider
23rd September 2006, 21:00
Hi Guys,

Any ideas?
did you use brake grease around the piston seals?
also try pulling in the brake lever hard & tie it up with some cord or a plastic ratchet tie overnight.
it forces any remaining air in the system upwards & out.
should be a lot harder after you let the pressure off the lever the next day.

dhunt
23rd September 2006, 21:13
did you use brake grease around the piston seals?
also try pulling in the brake lever hard & tie it up with some cord or a plastic ratchet tie overnight.
it forces any remaining air in the system upwards & out.
should be a lot harder after you let the pressure off the lever the next day.
Nope didn't use any brake grease on the pistons-What's that suppose 2 do?

I tried the leaving the leaver pulled in over night when I replaced the lines but haven't done that since I changed the master cyclinder kit - I forgot to do it today.

imdying
23rd September 2006, 21:24
Rubber grease on the pistons (or a lack of) won't affect your ability to bleed it.

If you've exhausted every option, unbolt the master from the clip on and get it below the calipers. Then rebleed it.

nadroj
23rd September 2006, 21:29
Slip something in behind the pads & see if it improves the travel and feel. Sometimes a half worn pad is as far as they wear to as the travel of the piston can't take up any disc wear. If all else fails bring it around.

erik
24th September 2006, 01:18
have you tried reverse bleeding it? Forcing brake fluid in through the calipers so it goes up the brake lines and hopefully takes any air with it?

The brakes on my bandit are the same as you describe except I haven't tried replacing the lines. I was thinking of trying to reverse bleed them. I'm interested to see how you sort out your brakes.