PDA

View Full Version : Grip size - want to increase the circumference

El Dopa
24th September 2006, 17:45
I've been wondering about increasing the size/circumference of the throttle grip on El Bandido.

I have large hands - I take a 3XL glove size. I've noticed that it's a little difficult for me to get a fully smooth throttle roll on/roll off as the size of the throttle grip just feels a bit too small. Possibly a thicker grip would suit me better.

I've had a mooch around a few bike shops, looking for something like a fat MX grip that I could slide over the throttle to increase the width, but I've not seen anything that looks suitable. The other thing I was thinking of is the tape that squash and tennis players use on racket grips, but I'm a bit reluctant to use that as it would a) look shit, and b) possibly not be all that safe.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

Motu
24th September 2006, 17:51
Get some man sized Harley grips - they have a 1in bar and the grips are fatter.

Lou Girardin
24th September 2006, 20:49
MX grips. But they're only a few mm's bigger.

kiwisfly
24th September 2006, 20:55
What about wrapping duct tape around it...the grip I meant!

El Dopa
26th September 2006, 19:48
Get some man sized Harley grips - they have a 1in bar and the grips are fatter.

Like these?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Frames-bodywork/auction-71038671.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Frames-bodywork/auction-71039137.htm

That Triumph set look like they're rubber-lined. I'll have to check the size, but possibly something like that, if it's an interference fit? A bit of sweat and cursing to get the bastard on, and problem solved.

What about wrapping duct tape around it...the grip I meant!

Nah. Would need a lot, and would probably look pretty manky, given my cack-handed workmanship.

JimO
26th September 2006, 21:27
i had a post in this thread and now its gone...........wonder why

AllanB
8th October 2006, 07:50
I replaced mine with a fatter softer set - stock ones are hard as rock and tiny. Still not quite as fat as I'd prefer but heaps better. They are pro grip ones with little holes all over the outside.

I ran a set of Grand Touring grips on my 750 twin Kawasaki that are really nice and fat - but a long grip at about 138mm closed end but they could be adapted. The first picture. product number 61-1045

Second is a pair of 'neoprene comfort grip wraps' look like they use a Velcro system and are fully washable. Available in three colours. product number 50-1629

Both the above are available from http://denniskirk.com
all prices are US dollars on their site - very good to deal with and arrive in 7-10 days. Shipping wise select international air post, anything else is expensive. Put the above product numbers in their quick search. Note order a metric bike catalogue whilst there - 700 plus pages of goodies to dream over.

ALSO in NZ this time - I have seen at Budget motorcycles in CHCH a set of removable heated grips that are like the wraps above but heated - $100 or so but they will fatten your grips heaps and have the added bonus of heating.

El Dopa
8th October 2006, 18:24
I replaced mine with a fatter softer set - stock ones are hard as rock and tiny.....

[snip]

.....at Budget motorcycles in CHCH a set of removable heated grips that are like the wraps above but heated - $100 or so but they will fatten your grips heaps and have the added bonus of heating.

Thanks Allan. That's really excellent. Much obliged.

SARGE
8th October 2006, 19:52
i got some Gel Grips for an ATV with 1" bars.... pop them in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes and they slid right over my standard grips.. i will post some pix tomorrow