PDA

View Full Version : Sugilite Race Report-Actrix Series Round 5

sugilite
24th September 2006, 18:22
RACE DAY
The day dawned nice and sunny and stayed that way for the whole day, yay!
I bought both my sons along as pit crew this time, though they constantly skived off all day:laugh:

POST CLASSIC - 1989 Kawasaki ZXR750 H1
The bike had blown both fork seals at the last round, so the forks had their 1st change since I bought the bike!

Qualifying time: 2:07.205
I qualified on pole, Sean Donnelly qualified in 2nd only 1.2 secs behind.
I noticed the front end pattering on the entrance to turns. Sean Harris pointed me in the right direction with rebound settings and future oil velocities, so thanks Sean!

Race 1. 4 laps - Fastest lap 2:06.051
The 1st lap was all out war! A group of 3 of us were contesting every other corner for one and a half laps before I managed to push out a small lead to finish 2.1 seconds ahead at the flag.
What had not helped was bashing my knee on a ripple strip and loosing my much needed knee scraper on lap one

Race 2. 4 laps - Fastest lap 2:06.599
It was another 1st lap slug fest right from the 1st corner!
With the top 4 riders riding lapping within .4 of second of each other means an all out race long scrap!
On lap 2 while chasing down Paul Bingam my old friend the non engaging clutch problem that makes down shifting very difficult from round 3 returned!
I still managed to harass Paul passing him a few times only to have him blast past on the straight!
I missed another down shift and Paul gapped me, then Sean started to attack! I concentrated on trying to close the gap ahead to Paul as I had only one more lap to launch an attack, but alas, he had 60 meters on me and was looking good to win it.
Paul thought I was still right behind him and he pushed to hard into the infield hairpin and lost the front end!
I inherited the lead from Paul, but having to take avoidance measures had Sean on the attack again!!!
We contested to the bitter end the long hand sweeper back out onto the old circuit, I got good drive out that corner and went to try and change down coming into the sweeper with no joy! I committed to as much corner speed as I dared around the sweeper and prayed I could get enough drive to beat Sean to the line. As it turns out I did, the winning margin just 0:0.30 seconds!!!
Sean and I shook hands on the warm down lap, it had been a really top scrap and we had major grin factor going on :2thumbsup

FORMULA ONE: Kawasaki 2006 ZX10R
I'd been having major straight line stability problems in testing using Dunlops, so I managed to get my hands on a rear michilin power race tyre the Aussies have been using. I noticed the stability was much better, the whole bike felt very different. I raised the ride height as the Michelin was a whopping 2.7 cm's smaller diameter than the dunlop.
Bike mods thus far are Ohlins rear shock and stiffer fork springs with braided brake lines and Vesrah pads. The motor and exhaust is thus far stock though a factory race ECU is now installed.

Qualifying time: 1:1.58:398
I was trying to get my head around what I could do with the new tyre and managed to have a mondo big slide out the sweeper in the process, woah!
I managed to qualify in 4th for a front start row position.
There were 33 qualifiers in this class!

Race 1. 4 laps - Fastest lap 1:58.483
I was third into the 1st corner. I held that position and started to reel in the Jay when coming into coke I discovered had no gear lever! I had fitted rear sets, but a pressed fitting spacer had pushed out and the gear shift lever was dragging along the track connected to the bike by only its connecting rod!
So with a few moving on board repairs consisting of grabbing and flipping the lever over, then pushing it back onto the spline and giving it a healthy kick to finish the the job. I'd been passed by quite a few people dropping down to 14th place. With the gear lever now I on I got my head down and manged to pass 5 riders in 1.5 laps to take 9th place.
I had a spare for the foot peg bracket, so was sweet for the next race.

Race 2. 7 laps - Fastest lap 1:58.357
I was 4th into the 1st corner. I was finding it hard to get the rear tyre to hook up so started to drop back from the leading trio. A could hear another bike behind me, I don't look back as a rule, but guessed it was Bruce. I lost the back end a few times but managed to hold him off then I did not hear him on the lat lap, so I'm guessing he had a "moment" as he finished 2 seconds back at the end. I noticed Bruces tyres looked tortured at the slip road gathering point!:2guns:

I finished 4th but did have a fair idea where I needed to go with bike setup to get the rear tyre to hook up. Setting up superbikes is no 5 minute job!

The next race is Taupo in 3 weeks time, I'm looking forward to racing there for the 1st time :2thumbsup

See attached photos for the bike in it's race colors.

kiwifruit
24th September 2006, 18:27
cheers for the report man
bike looks great
keep up the good work
see you at Taupo!

MattRSK
24th September 2006, 18:31
Hey Sugilite

Was great to meet you out at the track. Followed your races closely and was well impressed. First time I had seen the new colour scheme and i'm loving it. Look forward to riding with you in future. Great effort mate!

Matt

sugilite
24th September 2006, 18:33
Special Thanks to Richard for everything he has done.
It's a shame you had to fly back to Australia the day of the race!

Thanks also to Derek Mcadam for fitting the race ECU

Thanks to Hewitts motorcycles for letting me use their work shop and resources. with a special thanks going to Dave, Brian and Aiden in the workshop for giving me a hand to get things sorted out! :2thumbsup

The Chinese characters on the fairing say "Leong" :cool:

Motoracer
24th September 2006, 18:51
Nice work man! Lovely bike too.

I heard sherrifs was flyin!! He must still be fired up from the racing in Australia..

Crasherfromwayback
24th September 2006, 19:40
The Chinese characters on the fairing say "Leong" :cool:

I thought they said let Pete have a go!

Top effort mate, sounds like you're riding well!

chanceyy
24th September 2006, 20:22
great stuff Ant :banana: .......... & so fill us in on the current standings for the championship plz ;)

MattRSK
24th September 2006, 20:35
Find it in here somewhere, cause I cant! lol
http://www.vicclub.co.nz/tiki-page.php?pageName=2006Standing

chanceyy
24th September 2006, 20:45
Find it in here somewhere, cause I cant! lol
http://www.vicclub.co.nz/tiki-page.php?pageName=2006Standing

ok third in the superbikes .. & first in the post classic ... farken awesome stuff
Ant ... congrats buddy

Rossi Gal
24th September 2006, 20:57
Hey Sugi!! Great write-up as always!! An awesome effort out there..looking good!! see you at Taupo!! :)

dickytoo
25th September 2006, 00:38
I thought they said let Pete have a go!

Top effort mate, sounds like you're riding well!

hey man,

anthony is on notice. if he doesn't pull his socks up, you're in!

i need someone with big brass balls, you know, the kind that says, I'm not braking until you do and i don't care if i run off the track - oops, looks like we just did :Oops:

Crasherfromwayback
25th September 2006, 02:53
hey man,

anthony is on notice. if he doesn't pull his socks up, you're in!

i need someone with big brass balls, you know, the kind that says, I'm not braking until you do and i don't care if i run off the track - oops, looks like we just did :Oops:

He's a lot cheaper to run than I would be mate!
Hope you're happy and well......

P

kickingzebra
25th September 2006, 08:36
Some great work there man!! Good to see you as always! Thanks for the emergency instructions with my brakes! They were much better after that!

dickytoo
25th September 2006, 08:37
He's a lot cheaper to run than I would be mate!
Hope you're happy and well......

P

he costs me a fortune in chocolate biscuits!

I'm getting over the flu. hope you're ok. see you next time i'm in windy wellie.

skelstar
25th September 2006, 09:21
Was great to see you out there on the new bike. Im guessing you had a fair bit of pressure to perform on the Wunderbike from your supporters. Exciting as always to watch you on your 750 too. Nice one.

loosebruce
25th September 2006, 10:28
Hey Ant, didn't really get to talk much on the day, new bike is looking good, i got a chance to see it for a while for once lol, nice riding bro, catch you at Taupo.

Take it easy mate :cool:

cowpoos
25th September 2006, 10:55
good shit ant...was good to see you so calm and relaxed at the track...you almost looked bored with nothing to fix!! lol

emaN
25th September 2006, 11:30
Great riding bro!
Tboy told me 'bout the shifter falling off; didn't realise you put it back on "on the move"...good effort!!
Look forward to seeing your lap times in Taupo...

dss3
25th September 2006, 11:41
Hey Ant, yeah wondered what had happened when you slowed right down in the middle straight there... not that I was complaining, i'll claim it as a pass haha. Good to hear it wasn't a biggie. Reckon that bike it too pretty though, needs some scratches! Catch ya at Taupo

Daryl

sugilite
25th September 2006, 11:55
I heard sherrifs was flyin!! He must still be fired up from the racing in Australia..
He also said his bike was more developed now, all the same, sizzling times from the countries number one 600 rider. He will be VERY hard to beat this year me thinks.

Thanks for the emergency instructions with my brakes! They were much better after that!
No worries, glad to be of help....

he costs me a fortune in chocolate biscuits!
I got more replacements for you, but ended up eating those too, sorry bout that :whistle:

Was great to see you out there on the new bike. Im guessing you had a fair bit of pressure to perform on the Wunderbike from your supporters. Exciting as always to watch you on your 750 too. Nice one.

I believe a pragmatic appoach is the best way to go for Superbike setup. I knew a lot of people expected me to kick butt, however there is no point crashing trying to meet other peoples expectations eh :lol:

good shit ant...was good to see you so calm and relaxed at the track...you almost looked bored with nothing to fix!! lol
Except the foot peg!!! That contented and calmness stemmed from my polishing off a packet of replacement chocolate biscuits meant for Richard!

Thanks for the words of support crew, catch you all at Taupo!

Matt Bleck
25th September 2006, 12:04
congrats on a top effort ant!!

Cleve
25th September 2006, 12:53
Ahh didn't realise the fast fella on the ZX10R was a KB'er. Looking fast and smooth out there. Maybe see you at the Taupo round on 14th October.

Shaun
25th September 2006, 14:03
I heard your arse cheeks slam shut with one of those near high sides, good save man

Two Smoker
25th September 2006, 20:46
Wicked stuff Ant!!! Top effort and cant wait too see how you go at the nationals :niceone:

Shaun
27th September 2006, 08:25
Hey you

107 intake--- 109 exhaust good for 3 BHP on that model

dickytoo
27th September 2006, 13:51
Hey you

what about the thin head gasket and factory cams? is it worthwhile going down that route without the high comp pistons?

skelstar
27th September 2006, 14:28
Sugi, I know this post will be amoungst more intersting stuff but Im curious about something I saw on Sat. When you were approaching the infield lefthand-hairpin I could have sworn I saw your front wheel lift where you should have been braking. You were under pressure through there (by LooseB I think) but I cant imagine you were accelerating into the corner. I tried to get Linda to see what I was seeing but the time you got the corner again you werent doing it?

note: ZX10R/F1 race..

Rant over.

Zed
27th September 2006, 15:56
I finished 4th but did have a fair idea where I needed to go with bike setup to get the rear tyre to hook up. Setting up superbikes is no 5 minute job!

The next race is Taupo in 3 weeks time, I'm looking forward to racing there for the 1st time :2thumbsup

See attached photos for the bike in it's race colors.You always make me feel like I was there with you when I read your reports Sugilite, thanks! I'm happy to hear the new 10 is working well for you, but of course it's only early days and you aim to improve, your times were fast, and well done for getting that 9th placing after your skillful onboard repairs, keep up the great racing. Your bike has more race character with the new looks! :cool:

sugilite
1st October 2006, 12:52
I heard your arse cheeks slam shut with one of those near high sides, good save man
Ahhhh yes, that would be the qualifing "incident" out of the sweeper, I've ordered a shit load of those nose strips to keep my arse cheeks firmly closed for future races :lol:

Hey you

Bling for that young man :banana:

Sugi, I know this post will be amoungst more intersting stuff but Im curious about something I saw on Sat. When you were approaching the infield lefthand-hairpin I could have sworn I saw your front wheel lift where you should have been braking. You were under pressure through there (by LooseB I think) but I cant imagine you were accelerating into the corner. I tried to get Linda to see what I was seeing but the time you got the corner again you werent doing it?
note: ZX10R/F1 race..

Rant over.

Hmmm, if it was the appoach of the hairpin out the right hand kink it was a wheelie (1st time I had a bike powerstand there), if it was right near the apex, it was when my front wheel was hopping under brakes from having to stiffer oil in the front forks. I was leaving cool evenly spaced black lines using that "technique" coming into the infield right hand hairpin on the extended circuit, it's kinda like hopping along on a pogo stick :calm:
I'll have the forks sorted for round 6 so it will be back to the desperado late braking I did on the 9 :2thumbsup

You always make me feel like I was there with you when I read your reports Sugilite, thanks! I'm happy to hear the new 10 is working well for you, but of course it's only early days and you aim to improve, your times were fast, and well done for getting that 9th placing after your skillful onboard repairs, keep up the great racing. Your bike has more race character with the new looks! :cool:

Your a brilliant pillion, I hardly noticed you were along for the ride! :lol:
I've decided to do all my pit work during my races now to save time. It means I can laze away in the sun on a recliner between races!
Come and say hello if you come spectating at Taupo :cool:

I've attached a photo of me riding the 10, rumours of being passed by a grannie on a mobility scooter running low on power soon after are not true, that puppy had a full factory kit with traction control!
Maybe the caption for that photo should read "Fuck the apex, McDonalds is this way!"

roogazza
3rd October 2006, 08:01
I know it's early days but was the '9' easier to ride ? Some people may be interested in hearing the differences in the two, weight and HP etc. That '9' looked pretty well sorted ? G.