PDA

View Full Version : VTEC vmcc Chronicles Chapter 5

vtec
24th September 2006, 23:24
Hi all, another chapter in the vtec chronicles for your perusal.

Well, we left Auck's Thursday evening, and stayed the night in Taupo, and some how with great effort dad managed to rein in his snoring. Met up with HDTBoy, as he had offered to be my pit bitch for the weekend, and he had bought along his riding gear just in case. Got down there, and it started pissing down just as we were unloading the 250 and 600. I still hadn't got round to setting up the suspension on the 600, so I decided it might be wise to leave it till I could get it some expert attention and not ride it until I was confident it wouldn't boot me off the bike. So after a while the rain stopped, and I went out on the track on the CBR250. Blasted around for a bit, had good fun wearing down my right handside footpeg, as I've put on a VFR400 one, and it's slightly longer than the old CBR peg, so I was trying to wear a bit off it so I could get more lean angle out of the bike, nearly lost the front end though due to too much weight on peg on the ground. It's good fun though when you can be confident enough on a bike to do that. Had to be careful though, as the track was still wet in a few places.

Gavin (HDTBoy) didn't have his bike along, as the engine is still in many pieces, and some of those pieces are still requiring work (like the crank). So it might have been foolish, and despite his history, me and dad decided to let him out on my road CBR with the crappy Cyrox tyre on the bike. It was good fun having two bikes with similar pace and handling characteristics, but mine with the GPR70's definitely had a big advantage. I dropped back a few times to follow Gav for a while, and watched him smearing that Cyrox all over the track, it really got quite melted I think.

After Gav had a couple of sessions, my dad decided that he would try his first run on a track on my road CBR250. He's never really ridden the 250 before, he's used to torquey monsters, so not only did he have a track to learn, he had a completely foreign screamer to learn how to ride aswell. I went through a few corners with him, but then I saw this R1 come through. So I switched to hardcore mode, and went sliding round the track after the R1. I got close a couple of times, but he was just making a little bit of ground on me each lap. And after about 4 laps of hard chasing, I had to admit defeat, but it was still great fun trying to make up heaps of ground on the brakes and in the corners. For some reason I feel that I ride my CBR250 more aggressively on practice days than I do on the race days. It's probably to do with the fact that you can afford to stuff up corners more on the practice days than you can on the race days. Good fun.

In the last session, Kicking Zebra had some relations come along and the Zebra suggested that they might like to go for a blast on the back of my road 250. Since Gav had flipped the shifter over to race patter to suit himself, I let him do the honours. I think he took 3 different kids around for a couple of laps each in the last session. He said that he was still riding pretty quick even with the pillions, and a couple of them had attempted to constrict his waist (to no avail however). The kids were pretty excited afterwards. A pretty cool start to their holidays.

After that session we packed up, and went back to the Raceway Court Motel. Where I met Gary Pendleton. Gav mentioned to him that we needed to do something about the rear suspension of the CBR600 before I could ride it confidently let alone race it. Gav suggested we sneak it into our room to work on it. I thought that was a bit cheeky. So we spent the next hour measuring the sag several times and dropping out the shock as many times to make adjustments until we were happy that it was set up as mild as suitable for a 600 noob like myself. I'd only ridden it once, on the practice day before VMCC 4 a month prior, and it had scared the crap out of me, jolting my feet off the pegs over bumps, and my arse out of my seat, so I was still very nervous about racing it the next day.

RACE DAY

Woke up feeling reasonable after a reasonable nights sleep. Destroyed a few Weetbix and bowl of Very Fruitful Flakes with tinned fruit, and cruised over to the track to set up. Didn't have to get up as early as usual, cause we've managed to get hold of an ezy-up tent, and the day was looking very promising. Got to the track at a leisurely 7.45am, and unloaded the bikes and the gear and set up the tent, as usual I had to shoot back to the motel to pick up the race licence (what is it about those licences? ... bah).

SCRUB IN
I went out in the scrub in session on the 600, cause I still haven't learned how to ride the bastard with this being my second day of riding it, and my first for a month. Sped around the circuit a bit, felt fast passing a few dudes, and felt slow being passed by some more experienced riders. Still I really enjoyed this session, and felt that I had got some reasonable control of the bike, still the rear end was sliding way too easily. Had to park up and jump on the 250 straight away for the Streetstock practice.

STREETSTOCK PRACTICE
Was really looking forward to this, cause I knew that I would be able to jump straight on the 250 and ride it ragged from the start, I've really mastered this bike. Got onto about my 3rd lap, and went a bit too hard into the tightening lefthander before the circuit extension rejoins the track, and ran wide and managed to haul it up mostly before having a very minor extra-track excursion. Straight back on, practice is definitely the time to make those mistakes. Went hard on the next lap, and I saw up ahead RG on his KR rejoining in exactly the same place I went off. Just caught up with him going into the high speed left hander and carried the extra pace around the outside of him before shooting into the sweeper. I think he'd rattled himself a bit.

Came in at the end of streetstock practice, and had to jump straight back on the 600. Hehe, 3 sessions in a row, I'm lucky that I'm so damn fit right now, just need more upperbody strength for muscling the 600 around.

vtec
24th September 2006, 23:27
SUPERSPORT PRACTICE

Cruised out towards the back of the pack, cause I didn't want to noob my way into anybody's path while I'm still learning how to ride my 600 beast. I've seriously spent next to no time at all on truly powerful modern sportsbikes, so I'm having to learn extremely fast how to ride this thing with the suspension still mostly setup for a guy 30kg's heavier than myself. Had good fun, got the odd big tail slide, tried to get more of a feel for the brakes, and attempted to put down a good lap, but ran into the back of what looked like about 10 bikes all trying to jockey for position. Although, I couldn't have gone much faster, still being the noob and all.

Got back in after the practice, and settled down for a bit. Then went and got the laptimes for the Streetstocks. I was a massive 4.5seconds in pole position with a 2.19.658 with Neil and Glen well back. Glen must have been a bit rusty, because I was expecting him to be giving me a good push with his gearing hopefully sorted for this round on the KR150.

Eventually found the Supersport practice times, and was more than mildly disappointed to see myself qualify way back in 23rd place out of 28 with a decidedly pathetic 2:13.024. That was a mere 6 seconds quicker than on my 250 with 1/3 the power and the finest 1990 chassis and suspension technology for the road. Have to say I was far from chuffed.

I spotted Shaun heading over to my bikes, and seeing as I'd been trying to catch up with him for some guidance with regards to suspension, I ran over to catch up. He had a poke around got me to do some press down approximate tests, measured the sag, and adjusted the rear compression dampening heaps, and decided that should do for a starting point. Bruce had already helped me back off all the front suspension settings, and they seemed palatable. Was extremely happy to have Shaun change it a bit, and give it the OK, because to be quite honest I was still quite scared of riding it, and I felt that I would be able to make some serious improvements if I could just put a bit more confidence into riding it. Cheers Shaun.

STREETSTOCKS RACE 1

Was very relaxed heading out for this race, cause I knew that a 4.5 second per lap lead would be tricky for the other guys to peg back. As is now the norm they let the 125's go about 30 seconds before us streetstockers. I got a pretty crap launch, but still managed to be first going into the first right hand hairpin, pulled it in a bit tight on a defensive line, and ran over the inside curb a bit which badly unsettled the bike, but got back on the power, and none of the guys came past. Eventually caught up with a couple of the 125 bikes. Went around the outside of a red one (I think) on the fast left hand entry to the circuit extension, I must have been going about 40k/hr faster when I went past... certainly made me feel special. :buggerd: Anyway, after 4 laps, I finished a mere 7 seconds ahead of Glen (RG) he really must have upped his game. My best lap was a 2.19.696, which was pretty damn close to my practice lap time, couldn't have got it closer if I tried.

SUPERSPORT RACE 1

Hooned in, and dad and Gav had the CBR600 started and waiting for me, just as well, cause they don't like to leave much time between races. Jumped on still pumping from the Streetstocks, and headed out for the warmup lap just in time. Went pretty quick around the warmup, cause I don't have any tyre warmers, so I put some heat into them by getting close to the cold traction limits which isn't that hard. Off the line I took it pretty easy, because I was surrounded by bikes that I knew were pretty hardcore, and I didn't want to run up the arse of someone in front. Kept as much out of the mix going into the first corner as I could, so I lost a few places to people who weren't afraid to plough through a large pack of riders. Picked up the pace as the riders spread out. I really can't afford to crash this bike, and while I'm still in the learning phase there really is no need, cause there's no pressure on me.

I work on a few guys ahead of me, pass an RS250 and a couple of other bikes, but I see a few pretty decent crashes happen up ahead of me, after a few laps the red flag comes out and a martial points me onto the midfield waiting area I don't think I was supposed to wait there though. We were supposed to go right round. I looked down, and noticed that I was missing my bloody petrol cap!! The windscreen had gone all white and looked like it had been washed in petrol, must have been on the brakes. Was a bit annoyed, cause I was going to have to pull out of the race before the restart. Went to start the engine, and the battery was dead anyway. Rolled it back into the pits and then back to our setup mildly frustrated. Someone had half arsed put the petrol cap on after filling up the tank for me. Not mentioning any names :whistle: because it was great having him there helping me out. Luckily the petrol caps on the CBR250 are identical to the ones on the CBR600, I suppose if it works well then there's no need to revise it, but this was made 13 years later, was pretty happy that they were still exactly the same.

Even so that was the end of my first supersport race.

STREETSTOCK RACE 2

Again very relaxed, but more aware of Glen this time. Again got a pretty average launch, and I could see Neil with his wheel just ahead of mine, left it late on the brakes and took a very defensive line into the first right hander. Went pretty quick through the infield right left right before the left hand hairpin with the shitty surface. Thought I had cleared out so I went for a high speed wide angle run into the corner, and Glen shoved it up the middle, I stayed on his outside, and got some space on him down the straight, nailed a few corners after that pretty hard, and then settled back into my groove for the rest of the race. Caught a few 125's again, but pretty much just tootled around pretty comfortable on my own. Got a 2.19.201, so I was extremely consistent over the day, but not as fast as last time on the long circuit with Texmo making me work my arse off. I think I had done 2.17's with the Tex driving hard.

SUPERSPORT RACE 2

After coming out off the Streetstock bike, they had already let the supersports out on the track so I handed the 250 to Gav and grabbed the 600 out of his other hand, and cruised out onto the track behind the pace car. The pace car let me through after a couple of corners, and I started to look forward to the race. Off the mark went a little more aggressive this time, but still made a net loss to the more seasoned determined riders. Maintained a steady safe pace, and made the odd pass. Was gaining for ages on a group of 3 bikes ahead of me, but kept making the odd mistake that lost me ground aswell. Coming round to the last lap, thought I'd try putting in a fast one, but on the tightening part of the left hander before the extension meets the normal circuit, I forgot about the fact that it tightened again just like in the Streetstock practice, and went in way too fast ran right to the edge of the track, and was off the power for ages. Trying to get it back inline with the track. I knew that a couple of riders had made up heaps of ground on me so I jumped on the power through the really fast part of the left hander rejoining the normal circuit, and into the sweeper at pace. Pulled it back a bit too tight in the sweeper, but nailed the power and hooned across line. I think SVS (Phil Snowden) and a couple of others had had a good go at me after my stuff ups, but I just held him off with the extra power of the CBR across the line. In fact I know this happened because Racey Rider got some video footage of it He did a bloody good job trying to follow me around the track, it's actually pretty tricky with those tiny handhelds from about 1km away to zoom and maintain a target doing up to approx 230k/hr. I'll post it up once I've got round to putting it on the computer.

Anyway, I managed a 2.09 a disappointing 19th out of 25 finishers. I was still only 10 seconds faster than me on the 250, but it means I have made good progress in the day learning to ride the bike. All I need is more time in the seat, and once I've sold up the 250's I'll be looking at getting a 600 for the road so I can get as used to them as I am to my Babyblade.

Spent the rest of the day watching races, packing up, talking and eating. And managed to get a bit of F1 video footage.

Many thanks go to Terry (Dad), for helping fund my escapades and helping out in the pits
Gav for pit bitching for me.
Peter for turning up at every race to watch and support and enjoy.
Shaun for giving me some confidence in the 600 setup.
Alex for the camera work despite your buggered hand.
And to everybody there racing, supporting, watching, it wouldn't be the same without you. The more the merrier I say. This club racing is great, cause it's quite laid back organisational-wise and it means that spectators can get close the the racers and the racing, and this is extremely special I think, I hope it never changes. Everyone is approachable and generous with their time... Cheers to all.

Motoracer
24th September 2006, 23:48
LOL at the title.

Gonna watch MotoGP.

Will definetly read it tomorrow though.

Later

SwanTiger
25th September 2006, 00:02
Fuck your race reports are always long, I'm sure if one combined all of your reports to date there would be more written words than in the bible.

I demand a compact version, kind of like Mikey's;

I raced my bike today...

I crashed my bike today...

I wen't home and had a beer...

Good stuff anyway dude. I'll have to get along to the track sometime with the camera.

kickingzebra
25th September 2006, 10:37
That was an awesome effort man!! two classes back to back, flip!! Was a bit surprised you qualified faster than me!! Wasn't sure what had happened with your DNF, so good to work that out!!

Thanks heaps for hooking up my young friends, mate they were amped watching the racing on Saturday! Youngest one wants a bike now!! LOL.

Good racing bro!

cowpoos
25th September 2006, 10:59
good stuff man.....you'll get used to that 600 in no time!!

Sketchy_Racer
25th September 2006, 11:29
Thought I had cleared out so I went for a high speed wide angle run into the corner, and Glen shoved it up the middle, I stayed on his outside, and got some space on him down the straight,

Hmm?? Are you sure? As far as i can remember i went around the outside of you.

Only to have my arse kicked down the straight!! .... its so darn fustrating.

Yeah i got the gearing sorted now, but it wasnt pulling well through the two corners after higgens. I was FULL throttle around there.... hopeless heap of shit those 150s are...... as fun as they are, I cant wait to get off it and get on a real bike.

Otherwise, you were going great, especially on your 600 considering your suspension woes!! Good shit man. I hope to be out there with you next season on a 600 too!!!

emaN
25th September 2006, 11:39
Someone had half arsed put the petrol cap on after filling up the tank for me. Not mentioning any names :whistle: because it was great having him there helping me out.

HA HA HA HA HA!!!!
He kept THAT quiet yesterday!!! :lol:

Great job vtec, and well done for keeping yer head on yer shoulders about the 6hundy!

Shaun
25th September 2006, 14:00
Good job J, I trully believe that when you ditch the 250 you will go forwards on the 600 very quickly, at the moment you are trying to do much with learning a new bike as well as riding something you already know.

Us old bastards can get away with it due to years of hands on, Keep at it mate

kiwifruit
25th September 2006, 14:17
great report, cheers man

Coyote
25th September 2006, 14:37
Toooo many words

What's the general gist of things? Have fun?

texmo
25th September 2006, 16:59
Sweet man I cant wait to have a battle with you at taupo! 2:09 you should be happy with that man.

vtec
25th September 2006, 22:44
Thanks all for your responses,
here's the abbreviated version:

I went racing!
I didn't crash!
I was fast on the 250!
I was slow on the 600!
insert dramas
I ate foods
I went home.

RG, I'm not too clear about when you passed me, cause the red veil came down. But it certainly got me moving again.

I'll see if I can get that video footage on the comp in the next couple of days.