PDA

View Full Version : Tyre pressures?

truckit
25th September 2006, 07:10
hi guys can you please tell me the recomended psi for dual sport riding?

i travel on alot of rough gravel rutted roads prob more than i do on the seal ,my bike is a exc with mt21 tyres front and rear just wanting too know what most of you guys set youre tyres at for this type of riding?

thanks in advance guys

Motu
25th September 2006, 07:22
On a bigger bike I run 20psi front and 25psi rear...on the smaller DT230 I use 15 front and 20 rear,and I would go down to 12psi if I was going to go off road for a fair bit.

merv
25th September 2006, 08:01
What size EXC as the weight does make a difference?

On lighter bikes like my 250's I run about 14 front and rear and less once truly off road in slippery mud. On mainly tar seal on the XR I bump them up to about 21 front and rear, the WR I leave it as is because the tyres are such hard carcass.

truckit
25th September 2006, 12:52
hi merv its a 450..same weight as the 525 i think ..?

and i weigh about 75kg..

thanks again

XP@
25th September 2006, 13:24
If you have a transalp the workshop manual says 29 front & 41 rear
This is INCORRECT! it is 29 for both front and rear.

So when your mech says all good except your rear tyre was way down on pressure ... find out what he set it to, otherwise you may find yourself with a square tyre.

merv
25th September 2006, 13:35
OK on the 450 for just gravel roads I'd say go closer to 20 psi. Experiment a bit, if your tyres are too hard on gravel your bike will kinda washout on the corners so if that's happening let them down a bit. My XR has the road kind of knobblies and on gravel it is pretty bad on tar seal type pressures - just rolls on the stones at the front and slips sideways.

oldrider
25th September 2006, 20:42
I find tyre pressure is dictated by the conditions being ridden in at the time.
The trouble is I get lazy and don't want to be bothered stopping and making the adjustment for perfection and end up compromising my ride and adjusting my riding to make amends. I just do not like stopping!
That is all fine and dandy but mistakes creep in and I end up compromising a compromise and getting too close to losing it all together, a silly behaviour and a bad habit to get into.
It's sort of like playing a whole round of golf with a six iron, sure you can do it but it's not the complete game is it?
I have got a little hand pump with a gauge on it but I need a bit more resolve to go with it.
Been getting away with it for too long, I feel a day of reckoning coming on if I don't change my behaviour soon. :weep: John.

far queue
25th September 2006, 22:56
I've got Mitas E09's on at the moment, previously I had MT21's front and rear. I run 22 and 26psi on the road and 12-15psi off road. Dropping the pressure makes a huge difference for the better in gravel and everything else off the seal. I also run heavy duty tubes and rimlocks. The bike is 147kg dry, and I'm 74kg dry, I must get heavier when I've been drinking though, as it's harder to get up :drinknsin