PDA

View Full Version : VMCC Round 5 Race Report

loosebruce
25th September 2006, 10:11
Well as Daryl said the weekend got off to a slow start with the wheel bearings collapsing in the trailer, at a convienet time and place for it to do so, cheers for the help Death, and thanks to Manukau Auto and Tyre for the use of their trailer, got to H/town Daryl had cooked me some dinner like the bitch he is and we loaded up and headed for feilding all be it three hours behind the orignal plan.

Huge thanks to Spudchucker & Family fro the hospo, can't say thanks enough mate, all the best with the new arrival due soonish.

Got a call from twosmoker at 6.30 in the morning, was like what the hell are doing mate, asking if we wanted a pit box but me and Daryl had a plan that meant we didn't have to get up so early.
Got to the track signed in had a pie and red bull got all sorted, i had to dump the glycol quickly that i forgot about, opps, and off in the scrub session, mainly to get the edge of the front tyre scrubed in and bed in the new brake pads.

Decided this time round not to do the test day, save the body and a bit of money, i found after doing a hard test day i was lapping well, next day i'd do good in the qualifing and 1st race and then drop away as the day went on, everyone else was getting faster and i was getting slower :weep:

In qualifing i was really struggling with rear grip from the new supercorsas it was sliding and spinning almost everywhere, i didn't feel very good about the bike after and was surpirsed to have qualified 5th with a 1.59,145 (something like that) but my previous fastest lap was 1.59.108 so i was straight back to my pace with bike not feeling good, only i qualified 5th last time and didn't like that grid position the one time i got off the line well for me and i got boxed in on the apex and watched 4-5 bikes plough round the outside :( always got some work to do then.

Before the first race i backed a little rear compression off to try and get the rear to bite instead of slide, i didn't know if it would work until i get out for the race, so fingers were crossed.
Lining up on the grid no muppet moments from a certain someone and we were off for the first turn, i got away ok this time, think 3 bikes had gotten past me, Daryl, McAdam and Carey, tucked in behind Daryl for a lap or so and had Jason Hulme dicing with teh three us, he got past once or twice and me and Daryl would make up for our crap coner speed and out grunt him down the staright, i got a run on the R1 down the front straight and blasted past held a tight line into turn, praying drayl hadn't got the red mist and was about to punt me off with a late must pass bruce braking move :Pokey: put my head down and latched onto to Carey Brier on his new trick 06 ZX10R, funny to say he was holding me up and i was looking for a way past, but it wasn't easy and there was nothing wrong with the 10's straightline performance, almost hit him a couple of times, came up beside him on the outside at the sweeper, maybe to say er hello and i've got the pace to get past you dont make a mistake, i knew he could hear me and on the last lap he made a mistake braking into the outfeild hairpin and run off the track, finished the race in 5th, McAdam was a little ahead, with a few more laps i could've reeled him him but wasn't to be.
I finished with a best lap of 1.58.8XX, wicked touched the 58's. Seemed the slight change on the rear had helped a fair bit which was pleaseing.
Shirrifs had run a 1.53.611, i was feeling pretty good and thinking 57's would be a go, and that wouldn't be far off the pace from Shirrifs and Co, but a 53.6, fuck, where the hell am i gonna find 5 secs, i'm not in any means expecting to kick it with him, but be nice to get close(ish) i'm happy to find half a second a lap, but 5 seconds!!!!! The man i s a tool round manfeild thats for sure.

Race 2 shortened to 7 laps much to my liking, even though the body was still feeling pretty good, no changes to the bike, warmers off and out to the grid, really got to get my starts sorted so i concerntrated on the flag and off i went, Daryl much to my dismay came up beside in the run into turn one, braking he left too much of a gap and i sneaked in and held the line into turn two, wow i had held position and was still in touch with the front group, i imediatly latched onto Sugi's new ZX10R, he had some interesting lines much different to mine, was faster in some spots and i was faster in some others, i found i could hold onto him easy enough, but getting past would be another story, i found i was strong on the brakes in a couple of areas, but tried to bide my time and wait for a mistake, which would be a miracle with the way Sugi rides, he got a good rear slide out the first right on the long cricut and had to back off slightly, argh so did I though, but the second right had a slow line and he knew it too, i got good drive to come up beside but he covered his line more than usual coming across the track to defend and blocking any chance of a pass, smart man he is! Last lap i got little out of shape coming into turn three and run wide and almost off the track Sugi pulled a second on me and after getting back into my stride he was too far for me to catch again so i backed it off had a big gap back to Carey and brought it home in 5th again.
Was pleased with this result i had run a 1.58.2 real comfy behind Sugi and knew i acould find that extra to get a 57, but a 53!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fuck Knows, i'm sure even Jay is scratching his head to how fast Shirrifs is.
Two 5ths saw me 4th overall for the round, and everytime i get on the bike, i am going faster and improving all the time, i'm identifying areas that need improvements on me and the bike, like the need for some etxra coner clearance, hence a set of rearsets on it's way, my fitness and strength is improving and being in my first season with only really three race rounds behind me am learning all the time. i moved upto 7th in the championship with only scoring points at 3 of the 5 rounds, from crashing out in my first ever race and not attending round 2.
I look foward to taupo, the bike again should be much imrproved with braided lines, rearsets, maybe even race farings, tyre choice will be critical at the Taupo track and will drop the gearing again from last time i was at Taupo, top 5 looks more than possible now.

Thanks for taking the time to read my crap, 3 weeks to Taupo :2thumbsup

Cajun
25th September 2006, 10:26
Great write up man, awsome work.

kickingzebra
25th September 2006, 10:32
Yeeha!! what a machine! Hugely quick laptimes! You guys are an inspiration!

See you in 3!

cowpoos
25th September 2006, 10:51
good shit bro....everyone was saying you were flying.....and it sounds like it 57's !!!!

Fishy
25th September 2006, 10:52
Good stuff bro!, if you hadn't had the pie before the race you might have seen 56's......

sugilite
25th September 2006, 11:29
Awesome effort Bruce!
Yeah, I been picking up those tricky race craft tricks from those sly foxes in the post classic class:whistle:

I knew it had to be you behind me, love the sound of that yoshie mate, just from not so close up :lol:

emaN
25th September 2006, 11:48
You're doing the right things bro!
ie-trying different things, watching & learning from others, getting out there racing.... well done!

5secs is gonna happen with different bikes and riders of different (more) experience, innit? give it time dude! you'll get there

Cleve
25th September 2006, 11:58
Great write up Bruce. Good to see you again. You were looking smooth and fast out there and well done on some good results. See you at Taupo for final round I hope.

Matt Bleck
25th September 2006, 12:25
good stuff Bruce!

Motoracer
25th September 2006, 12:59
Awesome shit dude! 1:58s eh? Fuck, that's flying! If that kind of performance got you to 5th, competition must be pretty shit hot this season! Back when I was racing, I think people finishing on pole or in the podiums were getting about that most of the time..

Good work.

Shaun
25th September 2006, 14:08
Bruce, its not tyre choice mate, it is spring choice, you have to soft a rear spring in that thing for you, that is why your tyre is tearing up!

Thats half the problem with going with White power, there is no service facility at any track in the country, ie, Robert T and myself with springs on board etc

Those WP shocks are good! if I was you, I would try to sell it to a road rider who wants to upgrade, and grab a Ohlins purelly for the service facillities at the track

kiwifruit
25th September 2006, 14:19
looking forward to seeing you in action at Taupo Bruce. Go hard

skelstar
25th September 2006, 14:28
Good write-up. Great to watch you battle with Sugi. Look forward to seeing more of the same.

loosebruce
25th September 2006, 17:22
Bruce, its not tyre choice mate, it is spring choice, you have to soft a rear spring in that thing for you, that is why your tyre is tearing up!

Thats half the problem with going with White power, there is no service facility at any track in the country, ie, Robert T and myself with springs on board etc

Those WP shocks are good! if I was you, I would try to sell it to a road rider who wants to upgrade, and grab a Ohlins purelly for the service facillities at the track

What would you know anyway, you fast or something :Pokey:

I hear what your're saying about the springs old man, i've been too taupo a fair bit, had a K1 racetec on the rear, but my front was hydraulic locking due to too much oil (you were there that day) and it destroyed the rear, after taking oil out of the front and borrowing a supercorsa from a mate with a K3 the supercorsa wear quite well, but started to get a slight wave pattern off the end of the tread cuts, this was on a stock rear K3 shock, running a slick on the rear at the same settings and track pace i found it too be smooth and not teraing up on the edges, overall wear was very minimal, so i decided to use a front slick as well and even with warmers it cold sheared withen a few laps very badly, i brought the K5 after that rather than spend coin on the K3, this time i run a slick rear and treaded front and had no problems and again very low wear on the rear and front, the WP rear i have already put on a 9.5 up from the stock 8.0 spring which helped no end on corner exit at Manfeild and worked well at taupo, but am reluctant to go any harder in spring rate atm the only odd wear seems to be with the treaded tyres, Chris toasted his supercorsa rear, but seemed he had hydraulic lock on the front end too. But in sayig that Derek Hill also running supercorsa had a smooth wear on the rear, i'm expecting a lot of racers to have issues at round 6, should be interesting to see how it goes.
Although i have not run a treaded tyre with my current setup, so i will try this first, but any sign of the tyre destroying itself i will change over to the slick.

Shaun
25th September 2006, 18:38

I hear what your're saying about the springs old man, i've been too taupo a fair bit, had a K1 racetec on the rear, but my front was hydraulic locking due to too much oil (you were there that day) and it destroyed the rear, after taking oil out of the front and borrowing a supercorsa from a mate with a K3 the supercorsa wear quite well, but started to get a slight wave pattern off the end of the tread cuts, this was on a stock rear K3 shock, running a slick on the rear at the same settings and track pace i found it too be smooth and not teraing up on the edges, overall wear was very minimal, so i decided to use a front slick as well and even with warmers it cold sheared withen a few laps very badly, i brought the K5 after that rather than spend coin on the K3, this time i run a slick rear and treaded front and had no problems and again very low wear on the rear and front, the WP rear i have already put on a 9.5 up from the stock 8.0 spring which helped no end on corner exit at Manfeild and worked well at taupo, but am reluctant to go any harder in spring rate atm the only odd wear seems to be with the treaded tyres, Chris toasted his supercorsa rear, but seemed he had hydraulic lock on the front end too. But in sayig that Derek Hill also running supercorsa had a smooth wear on the rear, i'm expecting a lot of racers to have issues at round 6, should be interesting to see how it goes.
Although i have not run a treaded tyre with my current setup, so i will try this first, but any sign of the tyre destroying itself i will change over to the slick.

Good luck!

Two Smoker
25th September 2006, 20:38
Good stuff homo... and cheers for going slow enough in the qualifying for me to latch on... Will pop into hells later... But too knackered at the moment... 32 hours work with 2 hours sleep sucks...

Shaun
25th September 2006, 22:08

I hear what your're saying about the springs old man, i've been too taupo a fair bit, had a K1 racetec on the rear, but my front was hydraulic locking due to too much oil (you were there that day) and it destroyed the rear,

How the hell does the front hydraulic locking destroy the rear EYE enstein

after taking oil out of the front and borrowing a supercorsa from a mate with a K3 the supercorsa wear quite well, but started to get a slight wave pattern off the end of the tread cuts, this was on a stock rear K3 shock, running a slick on the rear at the same settings and track pace i found it too be smooth and not teraing up on the edges,

And the track temp had gone up by then

overall wear was very minimal, so i decided to use a front slick as well and even with warmers it cold sheared withen a few laps very badly,

This was a used sco I sold you cheep, as you are a cheap bastard

i brought the K5 after that rather than spend coin on the K3, this time i run a slick rear and treaded front and had no problems and again very low wear on the rear and front,

Taupo had now had quite a few miles on it, helping to settle the grain of the track

the WP rear i have already put on a 9.5 up from the stock 8.0 spring which helped no end on corner exit at Manfeild and worked well at taupo, but am reluctant to go any harder in spring rate atm the only odd wear seems to be with the treaded tyres,

Of Courese, as there is an edge to work away at in the tread, the slick is smooth

Chris toasted his supercorsa rear, but seemed he had hydraulic lock on the front end too.

Just because one bike does or does not do this, does not mean it is down to the tyres

But in sayig that Derek Hill also running supercorsa had a smooth wear on the rear,

Because Deriks bike was set up by Robert Tayler with internal mods, and the external settings by me

i'm expecting a lot of racers to have issues at round 6, should be interesting to see how it goes.

Spring rates will fix all problems for 600cc and under

As I said, good luck but

Your WP shock is far to soft in the first part of the slow speed compresion stack, and the rebound is not firm enough, causing the rear wheel to lift away from the road, giving you poor mechanical grip to the surface.

But what would this old bugger know eh

slowpoke
25th September 2006, 22:52
....my fitness and strength is improving...

Thanks mate, I'll be adopting the Coro Loop/Pie diet myself in an effort to improve!

loosebruce
26th September 2006, 09:35
As I said, good luck but

Your WP shock is far to soft in the first part of the slow speed compresion stack, and the rebound is not firm enough, causing the rear wheel to lift away from the road, giving you poor mechanical grip to the surface.

Haha i know you know a lot mate, and have no end of respect for your riding and what you've done both here and a broad and especially on the IOM, believe me everything you say i take on board, i'd be silly not too.

Instead of swapping to ohlins surely there must be a way of dialing it out even on the WP, I mean some very fast riders are using WP, some very fast are using Ohlins, are you getting at more so that there is not the on side track support of yourself and Robert for ohlins that there is for WP.

Cheers for the luck though, catch you at Taupo Shaun.

Shaun
26th September 2006, 10:49
Haha i know you know a lot mate, and have no end of respect for your riding and what you've done both here and a broad and especially on the IOM, believe me everything you say i take on board, i'd be silly not too.

Instead of swapping to ohlins surely there must be a way of dialing it out even on the WP, I mean some very fast riders are using WP, some very fast are using Ohlins, are you getting at more so that there is not the on side track support of yourself and Robert for ohlins that there is for WP.

Cheers for the luck though, catch you at Taupo Shaun.

Not looking for respect from ya mate, just trying to save you a shit load of money and time by pointing out what I know, and can see wrong with your bike!

I would send the shock to the WP guy in Rotorua, patterson and connor m-cycles I think.

If you like I could talk with him when he gets it pulled apart

I would like to know what the bleed jet size is in it currently

and what the shim stack on the compression is, from that, I could reccomend what to do.

But for now, messure the pull rods on your linkage, eye-eye and make some new ones from Quality steel ( TEMP) make them 5mm shorter than the OEM ones, and I gaurantee you will be a happy boy!

But before you remove OEM ones, messure your chassis height from the rear sub frame to a point on your swingarm and note it down, cause when you fit new 5mm shorter ones your ride height will change heaps, so you will need to adjust shock length to get your ride height back to where it is now.

Make sure you get the ride height exactually the same, other wise the point of changing these rods will not be proven or disproven

Rossi Gal
26th September 2006, 10:49
Hey awesome racing on sat!! ya can see those seconds droping off!! :) see ya at Taupo!!

cowpoos
26th September 2006, 11:42

bruce....I had the exact same problem shauns described.....and was fixed exactly as shaun has described....

I was eating rear tyres...coz the rear either lite up with little effort or if it was gripping the bike wanted to run wide on exits under power....a low speed compression needle change was all it took to fix it.....

loosebruce
26th September 2006, 11:48
Not looking for respect from ya mate, just trying to save you a shit load of money and time by pointing out what I know, and can see wrong with your bike!

I would send the shock to the WP guy in Rotorua, patterson and connor m-cycles I think.

If you like I could talk with him when he gets it pulled apart

I would like to know what the bleed jet size is in it currently

and what the shim stack on the compression is, from that, I could reccomend what to do.

But for now, messure the pull rods on your linkage, eye-eye and make some new ones from Quality steel ( TEMP) make them 5mm shorter than the OEM ones, and I gaurantee you will be a happy boy!

But before you remove OEM ones, messure your chassis height from the rear sub frame to a point on your swingarm and note it down, cause when you fit new 5mm shorter ones your ride height will change heaps, so you will need to adjust shock length to get your ride height back to where it is now.

Make sure you get the ride height exactually the same, other wise the point of changing these rods will not be proven or disproven

Thanks for the tips Shaun, would Ray Clee not be able to do the same as the guy in Rotorua?
I dont doubt you at all in the advice for the pull rods, just curious as to what it would acheive doing so.

Shaun
26th September 2006, 11:58
Bruce, I have given you the best advice I can if you choose to do different that is your choice mate

HDTboy
26th September 2006, 12:23
Bruce, if you have the shock out by tomorrow night, I can save you a courier bill.

emaN
26th September 2006, 12:30
Bruce, if you have the shock out by tomorrow night, I can save you a courier bill.

and while it's in town, i'll slap it in the RF and let you know if it's worth having back:whistle:

texmo
27th September 2006, 00:24

he works in a logistics company dude, dont think that will be a problem.

HDTboy
29th September 2006, 10:13
Details, the offer was there.