PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Camera - What do you need?

placidfemme
25th September 2006, 13:29
This is a pretty random question. I'd like to buy (at some stage, not in the near future) a helmet camera or even a tank camera for my bike.

What would I need to do this? PC/Laptop, Video Camera, connections?

I'd prefer a helmet cam, but if the tank cam is easier to set up and buy and what-not...

Thanks

McJim
25th September 2006, 13:32
As far as I've seen it's just a basic video camera and it's the tank mount that's specific - will go and search coz I'm sure I saw one that compensated for vibrations and fitted to the fuel cap....

http://www.pashnit.com/more/cameramount.htm

placidfemme
25th September 2006, 13:35
As far as I've seen it's just a basic video camera and it's the tank mount that's specific - will go and search coz I'm sure I saw one that compensated for vibrations and fitted to the fuel cap....

Kewl thanks...

I saw these on TradeMe:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-71339914.htm

And

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-71562035.htm

But what I mean is...

What type of Video Camera (your talking to someone who doesn't even own a Digital Camera lol).

What sort of PC/Laptop would I need to run the movies I record?

What sort of price range am I looking at?

clint640
25th September 2006, 13:36
The simplest setup is just a bracket to bolt a video camera to your tank/bars. A friend has a pencil-cam which plugs into his handycam, I think he said it was about $200. He just duct tapes it to his helmet & puts the handycam in his tankbag. There are some on here who have played around with this stuff a bit, I'm sure they'll chime in.

Cheers
Clint

sAsLEX
25th September 2006, 13:39
For either you will need a handy cam , and for helmet cam you will need a handy cam that can take an auxilary input from a bullet cam or similar.

The bonus with using a bullet cam is you can put the more expensive handycam safe in the bit under the pillion seat in case of binning it.

Most handycams these days are usb so easily connect to comps.

McJim
25th September 2006, 13:43
What do you want to do with the finished videos?

Watch them at home only? - 2nd Hand VHS handycam. Cheapest option.
Post them on youtube? - most digital cameras will have a vid option.
Make quality DVDs? - Costalottacash DVD compatible camera.

You will need to decide what you want to do then decide how much you've got to spend - my advice is speak to someone face to face coz trying to write explanations about the pros and cons of Laptops versus desktops versus VHS versus firewire versus Mac versus etc. etc is gonna take a long time to digest.

R6 Kid got some cool footage using a digital still camera and some polystyrene.

LilSel got some footage of mee using a Nokia N70.

It's amazing what you can get with what you already got sometimes.

Best of luck.

Jamie

placidfemme
25th September 2006, 13:46
kewl thanks for the advice... I'll go and check out some different handy cams and price them out :)

onearmedbandit
25th September 2006, 14:17
Done this myself before. Go to www.helmetcam.com.au for some ideas, including a list of cameras that have vid in.

placidfemme
25th September 2006, 14:32
Done this myself before. Go to www.helmetcam.com.au for some ideas, including a list of cameras that have vid in.

kewl thanks :)