PDA

View Full Version : Giving up sucking on Fags:

Ozzie
25th September 2006, 13:53
OK, yeah, could be taken two ways, but I'm sure if it works in one context it would work equally in the other, if you were so inflicted.....but I'm not.....

So, after a serious amount of wasting time and money on smokes, and my numerous attempts to rid myself of them, I am looking to expose myself to the banter from the worst kind of non smokers, the X smoker.

So, if you went cold turkey, I really don't care, cause I'm a spinless git and can't be arsed doing that. But, if you did seek external assistance, successfully, in what ever form, I want to hear about it.

I have just bought "Easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Carr, on the recommendation of a fellow KBer, he says it works....what's your experience, and if not with this, with what?

WRT
25th September 2006, 14:08
I know a guy that's read it three times and still smokes. I also know others that it gave enough inspiration to help them give up successfully - I guess it all depends on how determined you are.

My girlfriend gave up smoking by using the patches, which helped her immensely. Been over a year now without a lapse for her. Which ever path you choose, good luck with it, you will notice the difference for being smoke free, in your health and your lungs. Still a hard thing to do though, so be prepared to put in the hard yards if you are planning on seeing it through.

Postie
25th September 2006, 14:24
my ex was a smoker, and a gambler, an alcoholic and a whore... but I stray from the point, she smoked and after a while, I started smoking too, I guess its just a habit that I started from one month just having a drag off her smoke every now and again, to buying my own pack the next month. I got a new girlfriend (the gorgeous and infamous Cibby), she doesn't smoke and doesn't like smoking, I stopped cold turkey. That was an easy decision because kissing my girlfriend and getting lots of sex is far more satisfying then smoking.
I can't suggest you get a new partner cos that may not be the answer for you, but my tip would be to stay away from people who smoke and places where smoking is allowed. Its brilliant now that you can't smoke inside, so you can still go to the pub without craving a smoke too much.
My worst part was driving, I used to smoke in the car more then anywhere but after a while, I got over that by driving shorter distances, or never taking the car anywhere.

outlawtorn
25th September 2006, 14:27
on the 13th of September this year it was my 5 year anniversary of giving up smoking, 23 days after my daughter was born, prior to that I had been smoking for 12 years. I really wanted to give up smoking and had tried everything, my last resort was a hypnotist and it worked, one session and done, no more smoking, haven't touched one since. For the first couple of weeks it was very difficult, but you become very used to not having a smoke and the nice thing is, out of all my friends and family who have quit smoking, I'm the only one who doesn't mind the smell of smoke or anything like that. Most ex-smokers love to maon about how much it smells and all that kind of shit.

Good luck with your endeavour to stop smoking, try a hypnotist, it will work.

McJim
25th September 2006, 14:29
What a coincidence - I told a fella to buy that book on Thursday - he was a fellow KB'er too...oh yeah...t'was you.

First key thing is WANT to quit - I tried for years to quit but couldn't coz I didn't want to. One day the wife bought me the book and told me to read it. I didn't coz deep down I didn't want to quit.

Decided recently that I wanted to quit read the book - job done.

The book won't make you quit but it will help if you are close to wanting to quit anyway.

Read the book - smoke yourself silly while you read...then make a decision.

All the best.

And if you want to stop sucking on fags - don't go on any more of Dover's rides!

Kendog
25th September 2006, 14:31
I decided to give up when I turned 30, at the end of June this year. I set a day (the day after my birthday), made sure that I had a pack for the final day and that I didn't have any other fags hanging around in drawers or in the car etc. Then I sat down, smoked all my smokes (savoured the last one!), told myself, that is the last cigarette I am ever going to smoke. I used the gum which I found quite good and mental images of myself at 60 with a fag hanging out of my mouth. I also use other smokers to get a wiff of tar occasionally and to remind myself of how much they stink and how disgusting it looks. I drank water whenever I felt like a smoke and had a piece of gum, and started getting fitter as a replacement. I've heard that you need to replace one addiction with another, and that's why a lot of people start putting on weight, so I decided to work that the other way and get healthy as a new addiction. So far it's all going good, haven't smoked, hardly think about it anymore, and have lost about 5kgs.
If you are really serious about it, you have to set your mind to it and make yourself a deal. Like, I won't smoke this week, and if you don't smoke then reward yourself with something. Then set a new goal and keep rewarding yourself. It does get easier even though the first month is hell and you think it won't ever get better, it does. You really have to change your mind set of smokes too. I felt like I was giving up my best friend, but you get over it and learn to occupy yourself with something else.
If you fall off the wagon, that's cool, just set yourself a new quitting date and a new deal and start again. It's bloody hard mate, but if you really want to do it, you will. Be strong. Good luck. Let us know how you get on. And believe me, you start to realise why people are so proud of themselves when they finally manage to quit! It does feel wicked!
Mrs KD.

Str8 Jacket
25th September 2006, 14:41
Good luck dude. Ive lost count at the amount of times I have "given up" smoking and restarted again. Longest I gave up for at one time was just short of 2 years, I often wonder why I bothered starting again! Its not an easy thing to do, I wish ya the best!

Paul in NZ
25th September 2006, 14:44
I started smoking when I worked in a Hotel. It was the only way you could get a break.

I gave up one night when Vicki was at work and I had the kids tucked up in bed asleep. I realised I was out of smokes (never a heavy smoker) and seriously thought about nipping out to the shop...... I realised I was addicted.

Screw that I thought - never had another one... well a cigar when you are pissed or moving house does not really count eh!

You must realise - you will NEVER get over it, you will always want one - just learn to say no. Look at people smoking.. It's not attractive as you age - in fact, it's never attractive. Do you want to be like that?

sels1
25th September 2006, 14:46
Giving up must be easy, some people I know have done it lots of times...:whistle:

Str8 Jacket
25th September 2006, 14:50
Giving up must be easy, some people I know have done it lots of times...:whistle:

Giving up is'nt your strong point is it! :p

ManDownUnder
25th September 2006, 15:02
my ex was a smoker, and a gambler, an alcoholic and a whore...

I'm your ex ???????

Ozzie
25th September 2006, 15:03
Thanks everyone so far, for the support and tips.

I don't think it is all doom and gloom, I can't think of one single reason why I smoke, I just do.

And to be honest, it is a pain in the arse whenever I go on a ride, trying to jam as many in as I can when we make a stop, then feel sick for a while after.

Anyway, thanks again, and to those that have given up and stayed given up :2thumbsup

Postie
25th September 2006, 15:07
I'm your ex ???????

and you still a whore...... :spanking:

ManDownUnder
25th September 2006, 15:08
and you still a whore...... :spanking:

It sounds like one of us has a problem with that... :whistle:

Jazzed
25th September 2006, 15:16
I read the same book, highly recommend it. Just take the time to think about it while you read it.
I know it helped me, but the person that recommended it to me is smoking again....

Big Dave
25th September 2006, 15:32
I used to smoke a packet of Winfield blue every day.

I went to a hypnotist. One vist. $30 and have not had a cig since. - 15 years.

Hypnotherapy worked for me and the co-pilot - she had the same result.

You have to want it to work and it quite likely will.

The_Dover
25th September 2006, 15:34
$30 and have not had a cig since. - 15 years.

Factor in inflation and it'll be cheaper to keep smoking bro.

Finn
25th September 2006, 15:34
my ex was a smoker, and a gambler, an alcoholic and a whore...

So apart from all that, was she okay?

Winston001
25th September 2006, 15:46
Good on you. There might be a local quit program in your area so ring any doctor. In Southland the Health Board set up a free Quit Smoking service run by a practise nurse. I used it with success.

For me, I had to make the decision to quit and work towards it. I smoked about 10 a day which helped. Reduced that to 6 for a couple of days, then no more. Used the patches which worked suprisingly well. Having the support of the nurse helped 'cos I felt like I'd promised her to do it.

The main thing is to come to the point in your head of no more smoking. If you still want to, you won't stop. So you need to believe that stopping is achievable and will happen.

Big Dave
25th September 2006, 15:56
Factor in inflation and it'll be cheaper to keep smoking bro.

$30? That's one packet nowdays isn't it?

McJim
25th September 2006, 16:09
$30? That's one packet nowdays isn't it?

Cost isn't an issue with Dover - he rolls his own..picks up fag ends others have thrown away and takes the baccy out of them for use later.

How else could he afford the wear and tear on Gixxers?

I won't advocate the use of nicotine replacement - I chewed nicotine gum for 6 years while trying to quit - cost me a fortune coz I was chewing gum and smoking cigs...it's now been 5 months since last nicotine intake and I'm still coming down!

Never tried hypnosis - cold turkey worked best for me.

Indiana_Jones
25th September 2006, 16:11
Well I've never taken up smoking, so I can't offer any advice.

But congrats on making a smart move :niceone:

-Indy

The_Dover
25th September 2006, 16:14
Well I've never taken up smoking, so I can't offer any advice.

But congrats on making a smart move :niceone:

-Indy

what about sucking on fags sailor boy?

SARGE
25th September 2006, 16:24
i got no desire to quit .. i enjoy it .. i also enjoy a big Cuban Cigar every once in awhile.. i have smoked since i was 11 years old( im mid-40's now..) and me without a ciggy in my face just isnt me ..

Ozzie
25th September 2006, 16:30
No offense Sarge, but I don't want to be like you, now or in 10 years :Pokey:

Indiana_Jones
25th September 2006, 16:33
lol Sarge is the hard man :D

Na, I don't mind if people wanna smoke, as long as the dicks don't do it near me :)

-Indy

McJim
25th September 2006, 16:33
i got no desire to quit .. i enjoy it .. i also enjoy a big Cuban Cigar every once in awhile.. i have smoked since i was 11 years old( im mid-40's now..) and me without a ciggy in my face just isnt me ..

You only bin smokin' 5 years longer than me. You young thang you. The way you went on I thought you were an old fart.

SARGE
25th September 2006, 16:36
No offense Sarge, but I don't want to be like you, now or in 10 years :Pokey:

none taken Ozzie.. most people dont have the constitution to handle it anyway ( or the rugged good looks..)

and Indy .. get back in the Galley and cook me some eggs before i keelhaul your Cabin Boy ass and feed your remains to the sharks

SARGE
25th September 2006, 16:39
You only bin smokin' 5 years longer than me. You young thang you. The way you went on I thought you were an old fart.

i figure 20-25 a day for the last 5 years .. i've cut back to half of what i smoked back in the land of cheap ciggies ( US$2.50 a pack)

my age is mid-40's .. ..

my mind is 17..

my body is mid-60's

Indiana_Jones
25th September 2006, 16:49
and Indy .. get back in the Galley and cook me some eggs before i keelhaul your Cabin Boy ass and feed your remains to the sharks

Didn't you hear the news Sarge? I'm off the ships now lol, with a nice student debt and alot of pissed of people :chase:

-Indy

SARGE
25th September 2006, 16:51
Didn't you hear the news Sarge? I'm off the ships now lol, with a nice student debt and alot of pissed of people :chase:

-Indy

loser

i hear K'Rd is looking for a few good cocksuckers ...should be able to pay that student debt in a few weeks if you work hard ..

dawnrazor
25th September 2006, 17:17
march 2006 stopped for the first time in close to 15 years. tried before, but never really wanted to stop, wanted shot of the monkey this time round.

have had 2 lapsed evenings but have not followed through and taken it back up since. it wasn't easy, it wasn't pretty but its worth it, I still miss it, but thats more down to muscle memory and habit, I don't crave it.

so the only advice i can give is, YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO WANT TO STOP, if you don't you will talk yourself out of quitting faster then a fast thing with a poker up its yingyang.

The other thing to do is DONT TELL ANYONE YOUR GIVING UP, people love to watch people fail - its human nature. The vultures will start to hang out and take bets how long you can keep it up for etc.You don't need the extra pressure, just deflect the question if some one notices you haven't been smoking recently....

Lastly identify the key smoking locations or habits you have and change your life around these, if you like to have a smoke with your morning coffee...start having coffee someplace you can't smoke or have tea instead....

give up going to the pub for the first month also helps...

throw away all the smoking paraphernalia as well...

One of the hardest things I've ever done, but I was sooooo proud of myself for doing it on my own, I reckon its one of the things that has kept me off them.

just my 2 cents.

The_Dover
25th September 2006, 17:34
just replace the tobacco with marijuana.

Big Dave
25th September 2006, 17:54
my body is mid-60's

And that's just when it died.

Kendog
25th September 2006, 18:03
The other thing to do is DONT TELL ANYONE YOUR GIVING UP, people love to watch people fail - its human nature. The vultures will start to hang out and take bets how long you can keep it up for etc.You don't need the extra pressure, just deflect the question if some one notices you haven't been smoking recently....

Absolutely!!! Unless you think they're actually going to support you, don't tell people. I find the thing that most made/makes me want a smoke is people asking me about it or talking about it... a bit like this discussion, god I used to love smoking..... :Pokey:

Ozzie
25th September 2006, 18:54
don't tell people
Guess I blew that one then!

Perhaps I will encourage the betting.....$5.00 entry, the closest (if KB is still around when I die (cause I'm not gunna fail this time)) will get some green bling. The ones that I find offensive (ie. 5 minutes) will get red.

What do you think?

Thanks again for all the encouragement kids.

:cool:

Colapop
25th September 2006, 19:09
As has been said, there aint nobody gonna make you do something you don't want to do. If you really want to do it, you will.

I believe that you never give up smoking. My mouth is watering now just writing this. I can have the slightest wif and get that "I feel like a smoke feeling" any more than a whiff though and I feel sick...

WarlockNZ
25th September 2006, 19:12
I've tried a couple of times to quit, i guess i could make all kinds of excuses as to why i failed but why bother, the point is i'm still smoking and the reason is that i have no incentive.

personally, i think the non smoking GF would be a goer .. lol .. but thats probably not something you can do, but do think of the incentive idea, also .. consider this.

1 x pack of smokes (and by the way winfield blue is not a smoke.. lol .. but i digress) = what now about $11 .. i pay 9.70 for a pack of 20s so lets run with that shall we ..

soo ..

1 x pack of smokes = $10
7 x 10 = $70 .. if you smoke a pack a day, we all know that we smoke more while drinking and shit so factor in and extra 2 packs .

7 x 12 = $84 a WEEK ..

52 (weeks a year) x 84 = $4368

Holy shit ... i'm gonna quit now as well .. lol .. but lets explore this a little more shall we.

Divide that by what it costs to fill my bike (about $20)

4368 / 20 = 218.4 and multiply that by the average milage (390k)

thats 85176 km of riding ..

thats what i'd rather be doing :)

This math leason has been bought to you by the letter F .. for fuckin hell .. lol

Oakie
25th September 2006, 20:08
How ever you do it, you have to want to give up. It's not really enough just knowing you should. Giving up is easy. I gave up 6 times! The first 5 times it was because I knew I should for my own good. The 6th time though, I really wanted to give up but it was for my kids, not just for me. Made all the difference. That was 15 odd years ago.
Good luck.

Smokin
25th September 2006, 20:50
I smoked since I was 11 and during the kids christmas holidays my son asked me to give up smoking, I asked why and he said "because I dont want you to die". To be honest I didnt want to give up smoking but I did it for him and I really didn't want my kids to smoke just so they could be like dad.
It's been 10 months now since I went cold turky and I still miss it from time to time. The money I used to spend on smokes now goes into it's own bank account and Its already bought me some damn cool toys and it's a bloody good incentive to keep it up.

miSTa
25th September 2006, 20:59
You've got to want to give up, end of story.

I was a pack a day for 23 years, got up one morning and decided that was it. Got myself some patches and have never had a cigarette since. That was 6 years, 3 months, 5 days ago....least I can say no now.

Best of luck.

TLDV8
25th September 2006, 22:14
The key is what has been said already.You have to want to give up and most of the doubt initially will be the addiction talking.... Just one more....... I gave up 3 years or so back from a 25 a day habit (and Big Dave,how can you put smoking and Winfield Blue in the same sentence :laugh: the one time i tried them i couldn't find the hole in the paper)
I don't give it a second thought now but have no problem being around smoker's.... Set a time and throw anything to do with it in the bin then just go for it.Nothing to lose,plenty to gain.

McJim
25th September 2006, 22:29
I've said this before but not in this thread.

I gave up smoking to be able to make the payments on my bike - if I start smoking again I have to sell the bike to pay for the ciggies.

I REALLY want to be a non smoker coz I REALLY want to ride my bike.

No contest.

gijoe1313
25th September 2006, 22:42
This is sounding like AA (and not the roadside assistance lot!) - but as WarlockNZ and McJim have pointed out, its a tad expensive and its taking dosh away from where it counts...the bike!

Yeah, my Dad used to be a heavy smoker - a pack to two packs a day of Rothmans. When he found out a whole bunch of his peers were dying from cancers (a lot of lung...) and they just happened to be heavy smokers like him, he said "it's probably just a lot of arse them being smokers and having cancer...but just in case, I'm quitting"

And he just stopped like that! After all the bleedin' years me and my younger bro trying to convince him...he stops easily!

Turns out years later - he set himself a goal, which was uncompromisable... he wanted to see grandkids which his dad couldn't (Granddad died of...cancer! But he wasn't a smoker..go figger!).

Now I don't have any kids (that I know of, or paying palimony for!), but my younger bro' does now...and dads still here, waiting for me to get my soldiers out there! :buggerd:

PS - My younger bro' used to be a biker. Hard-core, until he got his 'Blade written off by a silly old cager and his missus said..."Insurance money will be used for other things...and not a replacement bike!" :weep:

Turtle
25th September 2006, 23:28
Thanks everyone so far, for the support and tips.

I don't think it is all doom and gloom, I can't think of one single reason why I smoke, I just do.

And to be honest, it is a pain in the arse whenever I go on a ride, trying to jam as many in as I can when we make a stop, then feel sick for a while after.

Anyway, thanks again, and to those that have given up and stayed given up :2thumbsup

Well I have actually noticed you doing that Ozzie.....And I gotta admit as a non smoker when on a ride and ya wanna get going but everyone has to wait for all the smokers to finish aaarrggggghhhhhhh PETHATE.
good luck mate.:2thumbsup

slimjim
26th September 2006, 10:08
mate i've been a smoker since the age of nine, yup lived on a farm up north and well, mum and dad were smokers, so yup getting smokes was bloody easy, i am now well mid 44, and have been smoke free for 13months, yup was a nonstop smoker heavy, did the heavy patches only (three weeks course and gum together, and finally gum only ,didn't use the other course's of patche's, rest of the stopping was just that, letting the mind say no,, well best of luck, and yup my friends still smoke, and i can still stand with them ,my choice as it is their's and i dont preach, stay upright.:calm:

The_Dover
26th September 2006, 10:11
I was going to give up smoking but riding in auckland traffic it's hardly worth it.

The amount of shit that we inhale on the motorway is fuckin ridiculous. Ciggies must be much better for you.

All these people that complain about stopping for smoke breaks on rides, why don't you ride alone? I've been thru ciggie free phases and enjoy stopping for a yarn and a breather on my rides. It's as much about the social aspect to me and it allows boomer to catch up. If I wanted to go balls out and not stop except for gas then I'd ride alone.

McJim
26th September 2006, 10:16
PS - My younger bro' used to be a biker. Hard-core, until he got his 'Blade written off by a silly old cager and his missus said..."Insurance money will be used for other things...and not a replacement bike!" :weep:

When you upgrade (coz I know you won't sell ya hornet) I want to see your little bro getting the use of spare bike. Y'know it's right.