PDA

View Full Version : RG100!! Race report VMCC round 5

Sketchy_Racer
25th September 2006, 19:08
VMCC Round 5

What an awesome day we had…. The sun was out, the sky was clear. And finally there was some heat in the track. I was really looking forward to the day.

Qualifying
I was really keen to get out in front to get some good laps in, so I made sure I passed everyone down the pit lane onto the track. I did one warm up/sighting lap to make sure there aren’t any different holes or bumps from last time I raced, which there wasn’t so I was free to go hard. Second lap, time to start giving some beans got my knee down on the first corner of the lap, which surprised me! Through the infield and particularly through splash I can go quite quickly on the lil 150. There are two patches on the outside and a paint line on the inside. What I was doing was not braking at all, but just laying the bike on its side and letting the front end scrub the speed off. The patches have quite a high lip on them so it is very bumpy to ride over them, but great to use them as it slight 'berm' so to speak. It works really well until you pop over the bump!!

Even though the gearing on the KR is sorted, it STILL hasn't the power of the other 150's. Gah.
Third lap of practice. There is a looong sweeping left hander that comes from the new circuit back onto the old circuit. It’s a great corner, except the damn join through the middle. The join is really really bumpy on the 150s crappy suspension. I hit the join quite hard and in the worst place on this lap. The back end lost traction and came around on me. Lucky the 150 is light so when it re-gripped it didn’t highside me! But in stead I found myself in the grass at about 80kph. Not a very fun thing!! I kept it up so was all good. But I couldn’t get back into the groove again and stuffed up at least four corners the next and final lap.

I wasn't overly happy to find out that I had only qualified 3rd behind Neil Chappell and Jason (Vtec)

My qualifying time was a 2:24.246. That is the same as my best lap time on the long circuit last time! So I set my goal at a 2:20.

Race one - streetstock

Third on the grid, with Jason and Neil on the right of me. I got a good start and was right next to Neil, but unfortunately, I was on the outside, and was not able to pass him into turn 1. If I remember correctly I passed him up the inside at the hairpin. My goal was to stay with Jason on the 250 for as long as I could. But for the first time, I was running out of ground clearance on the KR. The fairing and the peg were scraping at the tight hairpin on the New circuit and on the sweeper coming onto the front straight. Well, time to hang off the bike some more! I felt like a twit hanging off, but I needed to so try stay with the 250. Nothing really exciting happened this race. I came second and was 7 seconds behind the 250 after four laps with a best time of 2:20.xxx Awesome. I have already reached my goal! Neil was a further 10 seconds behind me I believe. (memory is not the greatest.)

Race two - Streetstock

I took a better tactic to this race, instead of trying to out launch Neil, I let him get ahead of me so I could move over to the right of him and go up the inside under brakes! Awesome. The move work and I pulled it off smoothly. Now I caught up to Jason through splash. Now I know I wasn't going to beat him this race, but I wanted to prove a point. So coming into the hairpin, I didn’t brake until I was complelty pass Jason. It was a bit risky and I ended up running a bit wide originally, but I just flopped the bike on its side and hoped like hell the tires and suspension were upto the task. A bit of shuddering and we were away. YEAH! Im in first place yeah yeah yeah! Damn the straight. Woosh. Gone. That was the end of my winning streak. It was fun while the 5 seconds of it lasted. Well. I did what I came to do. Get my 2:20 lap time and prove my point to Jason on the 250 lol. I really relaxed in this race making sure I just finshed the race in one piece. Once again, why go faster than need be? I couldn't catch the 250 and I was a comfortable distance ahead of the other two 150 riders.

Best lap time of the day: 2 minutes and 20 seconds

Best scare of the day: In the grass at 80kph

Scraping the fairing: Priceless

Big thanks to,

-My Father for getting myself and the bike to the track
-Racey Rider for saving me a Pit. Thanks heaps mate!
-Vic club for organising these meetings.
Cheers,

Glen

MattRSK
25th September 2006, 19:12
Legend mate, keep pushing yourself. Good day watching ya and winding you up in the pits!

Sketchy_Racer
25th September 2006, 19:22
Cheers for coming and keeping me company too dude!

Same to hXc, cheers for coming over man!!

skelstar
25th September 2006, 19:50
Good one mate. Im a bit guilty of watching the big bikes in F3, F1, Pre-school...Ill try a remember next time bro. Sounds awesome.

vtec
25th September 2006, 23:03
Yeah good stuff mate, you certainly showed me on that left hander. I think my front tyre is completely shagged, so I just can't trust it going into the tighter corners where you're off the power. I took that wheel and tyre off the crashed bike that I bought off Gavin, it had already seen thousands of k's on the road and track with Gav, and now it's seen pretty much the whole of the VMCC series and practice days plus some road action with me on it.. Will be getting a new one for Taupo, and adjusting the valves and resetting the carbs, so I should be back at 100% before the next meeting, then I'm afraid it's good bye to the 250's.

What's your racing plans after this season? More Streetstocks?

Sketchy_Racer
26th September 2006, 08:23
Plans are to go to 600s. and ditch the 150.

Even though i had so much fun on sat, Im getting sick of that shitty flexy frame and crappy power output. So its going to be out the door rather soon.

Oh, Its amazing how much a tyre get stuffed by using it on the road. My tyres were brand new last round and were totally amazing. After 2000kms on the road last month, they felt way way worse. But i was still being a pussy into lots of corners, so there was quite easily second or two to gain if i wasnt such a whimp.

Sketchy_Racer
26th September 2006, 18:10
Good one mate. Im a bit guilty of watching the big bikes in F3, F1, Pre-school...Ill try a remember next time bro. Sounds awesome.

I was out in F3..... rather near the back having a tussle with a RGV and NSR 250.

I like Flame's new RSV. very nice bike!

skelstar
26th September 2006, 19:52
I was out in F3.....
True eh...gues I dont know who is out there.

Ivan
29th September 2006, 10:22
Plans are to go to 600s. and ditch the 150.

Even though i had so much fun on sat, Im getting sick of that shitty flexy frame and crappy power output. So its going to be out the door rather soon.

Oh, Its amazing how much a tyre get stuffed by using it on the road. My tyres were brand new last round and were totally amazing. After 2000kms on the road last month, they felt way way worse. But i was still being a pussy into lots of corners, so there was quite easily second or two to gain if i wasnt such a whimp.

yeah I agreei dont push it on the road and my tt900 eat itself away and looking at the front its eating out as well

ajturbo
29th September 2006, 10:54
I was out in F3..... rather near the back having a tussle with a RGV and NSR 250.

I like Flame's new RSV. very nice bike!

.. you were looking at her bike......yer right!:Pokey:

we missed you down at the BOB !!
with Stev k's bike loosing weight via the piston, speedpro's eye's not working, skunk's gear box not used to having to be used for more than 2min, at a time.....luke kicking butt in the F5..and me... well just me.
i think you would have been up in the top 2... the boys and girls down there were a bit slow....:whistle:

but great to see that you now need to take the next step up. sell luke your OLD 150... lol

Sketchy_Racer
29th September 2006, 14:54
yeah I agreei dont push it on the road and my tt900 eat itself away and looking at the front its eating out as well

The TT900 doesn't make a very long lasting raod tire aye!!

.. you were looking at her bike......yer right!:Pokey:

we missed you down at the BOB !!
with Stev k's bike loosing weight via the piston, speedpro's eye's not working, skunk's gear box not used to having to be used for more than 2min, at a time.....luke kicking butt in the F5..and me... well just me.
i think you would have been up in the top 2... the boys and girls down there were a bit slow....:whistle:

but great to see that you now need to take the next step up. sell luke your OLD 150... lol

Yeah, I would have loved to come down there and have a race, But alas, I had the Vic club racing which was more important.

The good news is that now i am only 3 points off second place! w00t

Oh and Pmed you about the 150