PDA

View Full Version : Two Smokers Race Report VMCC Rnd 5 09/06

Two Smoker
25th September 2006, 21:41
Hey everyone...

Its been a while since ive done one of these, but ive got a race licence again and have been medically cleared for racing (obviously they didnt do a psyc test).

Left late from Auckland and we got to Feidling at 1245 on the saturday morning. Got up early and managed to get a spot in the pits with Nicko. My aim was to get back into racing, get more miles under my belt and start upping the pace abit... The last time I did Manfield long circuit was over a year ago on my 400 where i had a PB of mid 2:07's... So anything under that on the 600 would be a start.

The day did not start off well... I well and truely lived up to the team muppet tradition and fucked up heaps... First thing was accidently braking Jason Hulmes brake lever as i took off for the tyre scrub in (really sorry mate... have to take out the competition somehow p/t hehehe)

Qualifying 600s: Went out there and reaquainted myself with the bike and the track... Felt like shit, and my time showed that with a 2:03.7XX Was not happy with the rear shock, or the braking capabilities of the bike let alone my bad riding.... Qualifyed 9th

Shaun and Milky then put in a harder rear spring and measured up the bike...

Qualifying Superbike: The difference was day and night!!! Enjoyed myself emmensly and started to push the bike for once... Managed to latch onto loosebruce was stoked to finally keep up with him (he was having tyre problems)... Put down a time of 2:00.6XX which put me in 9th place just behind dss3...

Race 1 600's: Got a minter of a start and settled quickly into 7th place behind Jason Hulme and Geoff Booth... a lap later and Nicko and Jason had an off causing a red flag to be displayed... Gutted i was doing well. Restart was shocking was back quite far and had red rage trying to get past Derek Hill as he and others were holding me up. Thought i could out brake Derek into turn 9, i went deep but so did he i was being too greedy, I was half way up the side of his bike and knew i wasnt going to make it. Tried to stop and haul up but couldnt and i hit the side of dereks bike when he turned into turn 9. this chucked me over the bars and i landed on my head writing off my arai helmet. I apoligised to Derek and waited for him to crack me in the head, but he had cooled off after 30 seconds and all was good.

Huge thanks to Shaun, Geoff Booth (for the rearset and helmet) and milky and my bike was ready for the next 600 race. Decided to finish some races and take the rest of the day easy...

Race 2 600's: Had a shocker start again, and settled into 13th odd place and just started picking off people one by one at a cruising pace. Got settled in behind Derek Hill and had some good dicing. attempted to pass him coming out of the outfield hairpin, but he cut me off, and i had to back right off and nearly went off the track in avoidance... Derek got a lead on me off about 100 metres, caught him back up in under a lap and tried to gas it earlier onto the front straight but Dereck bet me by 0.033 seconds... Was a really good race and had some good laughs about the "moments" afterwards... Times were a cruisy 2:01's and 2's

Race 2 Superbikes: Just cruised around getting up the milage and hovered around the 2:02's.. I can see 1:58s being a possibility without much effort

Stoked to finally have finished some races (first ones ive finished since Paeroa) and to be back racing...

Current aims:
-Crash less
-Increase pace lots, still not happy with the brakes

Huge thanks to Chloe for putting up with my shit. Shaun for sorting out my suspension and the spares. Milky for helping out in the pits and Geoff for the spares...

See you at Round 6, hopefully with a bit of pace on this time...

bugjuice
25th September 2006, 22:49
pretty good aims I guess..
glad to hear you're getting your balls back. Probably doing it faster than most too!
Good on ya mate ;)

vtec
25th September 2006, 23:16
Good on you man. and good on Chloe. I've never seen such a supportive girlfriend, it'll all pay off one day when you're getting paid to do what you love. It's all about time in the seat, so try not to crash too much, cause that mean more time on the ground and less time in the seat.

bugjuice
25th September 2006, 23:20
yeah, Chloe is sticking it out until he's filthy rich... :lol:

kickingzebra
25th September 2006, 23:37
I was halfway through the back mini straight in time to see showers of sparks from your alternator cover! The racing spirit strikes back!!
I'll swap you if you like, your slow for my fast ;) Sounds like a good deal to me!

loosebruce
26th September 2006, 09:43
Nice to see you finally saw a chequered flag for once mate, hope you can make it more of a habit eh, catch you at round 6, or before then.

emaN
26th September 2006, 09:46
Good to see you back out there dude! Sucks about the new bash hat tho'!!

Give it time bro, I'm guessing your injuries are still on the mend; shoulders take forever to heal (I'm aiming for the Oct 28th trackday!) which might be having a "sub-concious" effect...

Keep doing what you're doing; "cruising", time in the saddle, and having fun!!!:2thumbsup

Deano
26th September 2006, 09:54
Good stuff Chris. 2.07's on your old 400 ?....holy shit that's quick.

cowpoos
26th September 2006, 11:52
good to seeya out there bro!!

Motoracer
26th September 2006, 11:58
Nice one Chris. Keep up the good work.

Good on your supporters too.

Cleve
26th September 2006, 12:37
Good to see you again Chris. Meant to thank you also for crashing and taking out another fast rider in that first race. With you two plus a bunch of others going arse up it meant I could come 11th in that race!!!

Two Smoker
26th September 2006, 19:50
Cheers everyone :niceone:

Now that ive had some sleep... I will add a couple more aims...

- Take out less competitors because it makes me feel stink (unless its Bruce or Daryl)

- Work on braking later

- Be smoother everywhere especially with my body movement

nicko
26th September 2006, 20:23
Cheers everyone :niceone:

Now that ive had some sleep... I will add a couple more aims...

- Take out less competitors because it makes me feel stink (unless its Bruce or Daryl)

- Work on braking later

- Be smoother everywhere especially with my body movement

you sure you've had some sleep??? you've just told us you want to take out bruce and darryl while being smoother everwhere with your body movement....does that mean you're gonna wine & dine them then take them home for some spooning?! ;)

by the way sorry bout the red flag but good to see you getting your pace back bro

Rossi Gal
27th September 2006, 23:07
haha dodgy dodgy boys!!

hey well done Two Smoker! awesome effort out there!! :)

sugilite
1st October 2006, 12:57
Good to see you back out there man.
See you at Taupo.
Remember to let the oldies go 1st! :whistle: