PDA

View Full Version : Helmets overseas

Fox Rider
25th September 2006, 23:24
Ok, heres the deal...

Im in Thailand at the moment (Chiang Mai) and i went out last night to a Night Market and found the sexiest looking helmet... One problem...

It was only 1,150 Baht (About $50 NZD)...

Now after looking in most of the Motorbike shops in New Zealand, they are over x5 that price...

It had all the Saftey stickers on it and looked well built but for that price it seems very iffy...?

Anyone know whether they are up to standard or just cheap peices off poo that the scooter riders wear over here to please the cops?

Korea
26th September 2006, 04:04
Dude, there is NOTHING genuine at the night-market in Chang Mai.
If you got a $50 head then by all means snap it up - otherwise use it as an ornament.
(If it's on sale for $50 then it probably cost them about 50c to make...)
In short; sounds dodgy...

Mr. Peanut
26th September 2006, 06:23
Pay one of the locals $20 to crash test it...

Swoop
26th September 2006, 08:32
Stickers, as well as licences, are easily produced over there...

Postie
26th September 2006, 09:26
you would be mad to use that helmet on the road. By all means save money on what ever you can, but when it comes to bike gear, specially helmets, spend as much as you possibly can because when it comes to motorbike gear, you get what you pay for.

onearmedbandit
26th September 2006, 10:27
Walk away, very quickly.

Macktheknife
26th September 2006, 10:30
Observe the rest of the items in the market, do you reckon you are surrounded by good quality, genuine items?
If so buy away.

Smokin
26th September 2006, 16:30
For that sort of money in a Tai market I would hope it was an Arai.

Lou Girardin
26th September 2006, 20:33
No, it's great, honestly.
Everyone knows Shoeis, Arais and Nolans are only worth $50 and you pay the rest for the name.
Wear it in good health. (Whatever you do, don't crash)

Dadpole
26th September 2006, 22:12
Buy it. We only wear helmets to avoid the fines.

Toast
26th September 2006, 22:56
Thailand's a bloody funny country.

When I was over there pretty much everything was "ISO 9000 Certified" (spelling not always correct)...even shitty little dairies and dusty craft shops...I wonder if they even think that the 'farang' will fall for that shit.

Smorg
27th September 2006, 01:44
Go for it................its the bargin of a life time

Fox Rider
27th September 2006, 04:09
Dude, there is NOTHING genuine at the night-market in Chang Mai.
If you got a $50 head then by all means snap it up - otherwise use it as an ornament.
(If it's on sale for $50 then it probably cost them about 50c to make...)
In short; sounds dodgy...

Of Course there is... and yeah, not worth it i guess. Was very nice looking though :weep:

imdying
27th September 2006, 08:12
We had a company in China who wanted to sell us bulk brake pads. Do they have safety markings? 'Arrr yus, any markings yu want', 'any logo, any standard... these vary vary goot pads'.

gijoe1313
27th September 2006, 08:17
:lol: Yeah, any markets like that are full of fakes, knock-offs, "genuine" ex-stock, copies, repos, etc. Do the local bikers actually buy that gear to wear? Or do they wear proper bone domes?

And for that matter, are the bikes there the real deal or knock-offs?

Fox Rider
27th September 2006, 14:19
:lol: Yeah, any markets like that are full of fakes, knock-offs, "genuine" ex-stock, copies, repos, etc. Do the local bikers actually buy that gear to wear? Or do they wear proper bone domes?

And for that matter, are the bikes there the real deal or knock-offs?

Well....

For those who have been here, you will know that for every 1 car there is about 6 scooters/motorbikes. Most of which are wearing the helmets i was looking at. The guy we are touring with has said "I see these guys crash with these helmets all the time at 80kph+ and because they dont wear any gear (Such as leathers)... Thier body is messed up but the helmet always seems to be fine...

I do have a proper helmet at home which i paid a decent amount for, but this one was just sooo much prettier.

I guess ill play it safe and leave it

Street Gerbil
27th September 2006, 17:21
As a paramedic once put it: "one buying such a helmet risks a skull injury in case of an accident (you can't injure what you don't have)".

gijoe1313
27th September 2006, 22:55
I do have a proper helmet at home which i paid a decent amount for, but this one was just sooo much prettier.

I guess ill play it safe and leave it

Get a piccie of it! You could always have it as a souvenir and hang a potted plant in it!

AllanB
29th September 2006, 22:02
Offer them $30 each for a hundred of them and sell them for $130 each on Trademe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Second thoughts, don't - I'll probably bid on one:crybaby: