PDA

View Full Version : SJ50 Help

Jono
26th September 2006, 07:51
Hey Guys

Ive been riding my SJ0 for about 2 years with no problems and now its decided not to start at all.

The other day it started as usual and then it cut out after about 100 metres. And not start again even after about 20 mins of attempts. Ive tried again this morning but no luck.

I did notice a few weeks ago that it was idleing a bit too low (almost near stalling), can someone please tell me where the idle adjustment screw is, cant seem to find it and the manual doesnt have it at all. (Pics would be great!)

I think the scooter needs a new spark plug, as its not even turning over even with plenty of kicks! + i know i havnt changed it since ive owned it in the 2 years :roll:

But if it doesnt start after a spark plug change what else could be the problem?

Cheers

bungbung
26th September 2006, 08:20
Two stroke scoots will get hard to start when the plug needs replacing.
A spark plug will cost $5. Change it.

fast135
26th September 2006, 10:45
Has the scooter ever been serviced since you have owned it?
if not, (and im not sure of that model) you could of snapped the oil belt. no oil will make the scoot stop after 100 meters. and stop it from going again.

Jono
26th September 2006, 12:19
I gave it one more attempt just before i left home and im quite sure its due for a new spark plug. I kicked it and it started and putted for a bit then when i revved it, it cut out.

Ill buy a new spark plug on the way home.

Is the best spark plug a BPR6H or 7? The higher the number the more heat it can handle right? My poor scooters on full throttle the whole time! Should i get the higher number?

Thankz

blitz
26th September 2006, 17:59
I just stuck to the original one on my old SJ50.

Jono
26th September 2006, 19:54
Ok, i replaced the spark plug but she aint kick startn again.

It went for a little bit then stopped again.

I deff know the battery is flat but that shouldnt stop it from kick starting should it?

What else should i look at.

Would really like to try and figure it out myself, but may have to take it in to a shop.

davereid
26th September 2006, 22:01
Hi Jono

Replacing your spark plug is a good first step. Put the old plug in the cap, rest it on the head, and give the bike a kick. you should see a good bright spark on the old plug. If you dont you have an ignition problem - get back to us I'll give you more to check. Otherwise its likely a fuel problem. Modern fuel has a short life. Try a squirt of "start yer bastard" or similar engine start up the aircleaner. If it runs then, replace the fuel. Good luck and contact me direct if you need to davereid at extra dot co dot nz - no e in extra !

Jono
27th September 2006, 17:28
Ok, its getting a good spark so must be fuel.

What should i do?

terbang
27th September 2006, 17:35
Put a new plug in and then take it from there. Taking it out and kicking it over for a spark only tests the IGN system for some sort of functionality. It doesn't test the plugs integrity.

Jono
27th September 2006, 18:23
Yep as mentioned a few post ago ive replaced the plug and tried to kick start.

terbang
27th September 2006, 18:34
Yep as mentioned a few post ago ive replaced the plug and tried to kick start.

Oh Jeez I didn't see that.. Duh..Yup time to start looking at fuel.

TwistnGO
2nd October 2006, 18:37
It may pay to take a look at ur carb. Whip the bowl off and see if your main jet is blocked. I had a bike which did the same thing and was due to a blockage in the fuel inlet hose on the carb, so the scoot emptied the bowl of fuel every time i rode it (approx 100m of riding).

Jono
3rd October 2006, 11:27
In the end i gave up and took it into Colemans Suzuki.

It needed a new vacuum hose which they replaced.

Im not to clued up on this, where bouts is the vacuum hose loacted and how long would it have taken them to fix.

TwistnGO
3rd October 2006, 15:50
The vacuum hose is between the diaphragm fuel valve and the vacuum side of the carb (i.e. inlet manifold side). Cant see it taking that long, prob 30 mins max.

blitz
3rd October 2006, 16:24
Would it have taken a mechanic long to diagnose a problem like this? What things do you look for to get a sign that this is the problem. Or is it a matter of checking everything?

bonecracker
22nd October 2009, 18:54
bought this scoot one off the pipes on the right side ofthe carb is floating free scoot was running 4 a month then the rings picked up on the bore so trying to find a home for the pipe and find out why it's stuffed oil pump works fine can someone look at their carb and tell me were the pipe goes to fuel and vacume pipes are accouted 4 on the left.