PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium panniers

matt77
26th September 2006, 14:43
Hi,

Anyone know where, or a good dealer, where I could purchase aluminium panniers here in NZ?

Had a look at the hepco-becker site but wondered if anyone knew a distributor here in NZ or has any experience of going direct to an oversea's company?

Cheers
Matt

oldrider
26th September 2006, 16:33
Hi,

Anyone know where, or a good dealer, where I could purchase aluminium panniers here in NZ?

Had a look at the hepco-becker site but wondered if anyone knew a distributor here in NZ or has any experience of going direct to an oversea's company?

Cheers
Matt

Why do you specifically want aluminium boxes? John.

Steam
26th September 2006, 16:48
Why do you specifically want aluminium boxes? John.

So he'll look like Ewan and Charlie of course! All he needs then is a massive support crew, cameras out the ears, and he'll be ready to take on the Road o' Bones.

Transalper
26th September 2006, 17:28
So he'll look like Ewan and Charlie of course! All he needs then is a massive support crew, cameras out the ears, and he'll be ready to take on the Road o' Bones.or break a leg if he gets caught under them.
Actually forget i said that, it would be unusual to get tangled up with them on a road bike... assuming they be for the Duke listed in Mat77's profile

matt77
27th September 2006, 07:59
God yeah, so want to look like those actors!

Chaps, does it matter why I want them? Just asked if anyone knew where I could acquire some.

They are indeed for my duke, which, even if i took the wheels off, has more potential for going off-road then a bloody transalp would ever hope to have.

Cheers

Transalper
27th September 2006, 08:39
lol, would like to see that, please post pictures.
Sorry, you've proberbly guessed by now i for one have no idea where you'd get them.
But i have heard the potential for personal injury is very real if you put a foot down to save yourself off road and get caught by them.
When hitting my own luggage with my leg in this way in a sticky situation i was thankful i didn't have solid corners on the panniars.

clint640
27th September 2006, 08:53
They are indeed for my duke, which, even if i took the wheels off, has more potential for going off-road then a bloody transalp would ever hope to have.

Cheers

Ooooh them's fightin' words if ever I heard 'em! :Pokey: Careful, or the Trannie squad might come & give you a jolly good handbaggin' :lol:

Seriously though, at the $US prices I've seen alu luggage going for, I'd look at getting a local sheetmetal shop to quote on making a set before ordering something in from overseas.

Cheers
Clint

XP@
27th September 2006, 11:22
Built mine for the F650, bloody good bricks they were awsome.
The rental places use Alu boxes on their bikes, you could try them...

Desparatly resisting taking a swing... instead looks at profile pic and remembers how well she performed when the going got really hard.

warewolf
27th September 2006, 19:04
They are indeed for my duke, which, even if i took the wheels off, has more UNREALISED potential for going off-road then a bloody transalp would ever hope to have.

Fixed! :buggerd:

oldrider
27th September 2006, 20:33
God yeah, so want to look like those actors!

Chaps, does it matter why I want them? Just asked if anyone knew where I could acquire some.

Cheers

What on earth brought that on! I only wanted to know why you specifically wanted metal boxes.
Was it in preference to anything else because of some practical knowledge or experience you may have had etc, etc etc.
We are in the position to swap and share info and experiences here, I just wanted to know for christ's sake, I didn't say anything about your "bike" so pull your bloody head in.
I only asked a question. I was interested in your opinion. Shheeeesh. John.

PS: I have had a GIVI 45ltr box for about 20yrs and it's been through the mill a bit, still looks new!
Rental people told me they were almost indestructible.

Wolf
28th September 2006, 09:45
I've heard aluminium boxen are a PITA as they dent and bend out of shape. There's a guy on Advrider making up mounting frames for a variety of bikes to fit Pelican cases - waterproof, bloody-near indestructable and you can buy the damned things locally for SFA.

The Pelican cases the bloke on ADVrider sells have been modified to have a key lock (rather than using the padlock holes) and use the same key to remove from the mounting frame.

He ships worldwide or you can get a couple of 1520 Pelican cases (or whatever size you prefer), make your own mounts and go from there.

I'd take Pelican cases over more expensive "purpose made" hard panniers any day - Givi etc are dear, aluminium is not rugged enough. You could drill holes and mount a single lock (and seal it) or you can just whack a couple of padlocks through the holes.

Wolf
28th September 2006, 10:36
Pelican case and mounting system: Caribou (http://www.adventure-motorcycle.com/store/?name=Home)

Pelican cases (http://www.pelican.com/case_category.php?CaseSize=%&New=%)

A NZ Pelican case supplier (http://www.tradewind.co.nz/HTML_Text/pelican.htm) and price list.

You can drive over them with a 4x4 and they won't break, bend or lose their waterproofing - your bike, however, will be fucked...

Bartman10
28th September 2006, 16:53
I was weighing up cases for the new DR's

Looks like I've hit the right thread.

Should I buy

1. Soft luggage (Rips on impact, zips are unreliable, not water proof etc, advantage - resizeable.)
2. Plastic hard luggage, eg the Caribou stuff (expensive)
3. Aluminium hard luggage (Cheap, if you make it yourself, possible to repair on the road if you find a farmer with a tig welder etc. Disadvantage, stress fractures, metal fatige, difficult to water proof etc.)

I don't want it to fail. All comments gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Bartman.

oldrider
28th September 2006, 17:48
I was weighing up cases for the new DR's

Looks like I've hit the right thread.

Should I buy

1. Soft luggage (Rips on impact, zips are unreliable, not water proof etc, advantage - resizeable.)
2. Plastic hard luggage, eg the Caribou stuff (expensive)
3. Aluminium hard luggage (Cheap, if you make it yourself, possible to repair on the road if you find a farmer with a tig welder etc. Disadvantage, stress fractures, metal fatige, difficult to water proof etc.)

I don't want it to fail. All comments gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

Bartman.

We had Chris and Tania, two Germans traveling around the world staying with us and they had custom made aluminium luggage boxes and racks on their bike (an Africa twin) and I was impressed with the way they had set their gear up.

If you don't want to do something like that, I personally have found favour in the GIVI wing rack system.

My main reason is that once you have the wing racks in place you can fit any size or combination of boxes according to your needs or your purse.

The plastic GIVI boxes are bloody tough and seem to be almost indestructible, tidy and secure. Cheers John.

Wolf
28th September 2006, 22:25
Bartman10, if you are able to make up aluminium boxes and mounting brackets to put them on the bike, you could just make up the brackets and buy a couple of Pelican cases of the size you want - no need to go whole-hog and buy the Caribou system.

Make up whatever mounting system you like to affix the cases to the brackets, drill holes in the cases and bolt on the mounting fixtures with silicone sealant and large washers, put a retaining wire from the body of the case to the lid so it only will open to 90 degrees (stops your gear spilling onto the ground) and clip to the brackets you've mounted on the bike. As I said, it's up to you whether you fit a keyed lock for the lid or just use padlocks.

If your budget will stretch, you could buy a range of Pelican cases and set up your brackets akin to Givi's wing system - all your Pelican cases could have identical mounting gear and you decide which boxes to clip on...

The Pelican cases have sturdy clasps and carry handles.

I'm vacillating between Pelican cases and soft cases for my XT - tending more towards soft cases.

Because I'm "frugal" and not keen to part with the kind of money I've seen saddlebags advertised for (Ventura, Oxford and Givi), I was thinking of modifying a couple of cheap but sturdy cabin/gear/gym bags with clips and adjusters to make my own saddlebags. I've seen suitable bags for around $30 each.

clint640
29th September 2006, 07:45
Pelican cases - waterproof, bloody-near indestructable and you can buy the damned things locally for SFA.

I'd hardly call NZ$389+GST per side SFA though they are a good unit.

You can get similar plastic cases from RS & Farnells for around $160 but they are nowhere near as tough as the pelicans.

Cheers
Clint

warewolf
29th September 2006, 08:08
I'd hardly call NZ$389+GST per side SFA though they are a good unit. Which would put them into the same price point as Givi, right? That'd make it a tough call.

Paul in NZ
29th September 2006, 09:19

Cheers

This is quite true....

Nearly every Ducati I've come across seems to spend ages off-road... Usually waiting for a tow or spare parts..... (P/T)

Wolf
29th September 2006, 09:42
I'd hardly call NZ$389+GST per side SFA though they are a good unit.
I was actually looking at the prices of the smaller cases more suitable to the physical dimensions of my l'il XT225 when I formulated the opinion on price.

Sorry.

matt77
29th September 2006, 09:45
Nearly every Ducati I've come across ..... (P/T)

Dude thats sick. Standing by the side of the road with your cock out wanking over a real motorcycle....

Don't let me ever catch you doing that to mine!

:lol:

matt77
29th September 2006, 09:59
Banter aside...

I've settled for the Hepco & Becker Gobi Enduro cases. A few mates who road through South America rated these highly.

Found these on http://www.twistedthrottle.com

Cheers

Paul in NZ
29th September 2006, 10:15
Dude thats sick. Standing by the side of the road with your cock out wanking over a real motorcycle....

Boom tish.... (I walked into that) Good one...

Wolf
29th September 2006, 10:21
Banter aside...

I've settled for the Hepco & Becker Gobi Enduro cases. A few mates who road through South America rated these highly.

Cheers
So you've gone for plastic. I'd go for that over aluminium, too. Now make them look really crappy so that Paul in NZ will be less inclined to wank over your bike...

Transalper
29th September 2006, 11:38
They look like they'd be quite good, please do post pictures when you get them.
Thanks.

XP@
29th September 2006, 13:50
Here are pics of my old F650 with and without home made boxes. Somewhere I have more detailed pictures of them, at home... will try and pick them out.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=587591#post587591

The cases can hold up a bike, be ridden over, are key lockable and waterproof. But also VERY heavy!

If you are making them yourself remember silicone is sticky but also your friend. and every gram counts. Also build your rack first, attach the back plate of your boxes to the rack and then build the boxes. If you bolt on the panniers, then use a standard size spanner.

Also with Aluminium, you need to put a liner in, otherwise the friction on the aluminium turns EVERYTHING black. I used a sleeping mat cut to shape and backed with a 3mm rubber sheet.

Paul in NZ
29th September 2006, 14:13
So you've gone for plastic. I'd go for that over aluminium, too. Now make them look really crappy so that Paul in NZ will be less inclined to wank over your bike...

I'm a Guzzi owner - I like it rough

Ruralman
29th September 2006, 21:38

Good reply - but when you get time weld a couple of eyelets under the front duckbill - so the transalp riders can tow you home or up the tricky bits

oldrider
2nd October 2006, 12:44
Banter aside...

Cheers

Hey thanks matt77, I found that site interesting and useful. Cheers John.

RedKLR650
26th January 2007, 13:48
Bartman10, if you are able to make up aluminium boxes and mounting brackets to put them on the bike, you could just make up the brackets and buy a couple of Pelican cases of the size you want - no need to go whole-hog and buy the Caribou system.

If your budget will stretch, you could buy a range of Pelican cases and set up your brackets akin to Givi's wing system - all your Pelican cases could have identical mounting gear and you decide which boxes to clip on...

The Pelican cases have sturdy clasps and carry handles.

I'm vacillating between Pelican cases and soft cases for my XT - tending more towards soft cases.

Because I'm "frugal" and not keen to part with the kind of money I've seen saddlebags advertised for (Ventura, Oxford and Givi), I was thinking of modifying a couple of cheap but sturdy cabin/gear/gym bags with clips and adjusters to make my own saddlebags. I've seen suitable bags for around $30 each.

IF YOU DON"T MIND THEM BEING BRIGHT YELLOW< Kingchrome ( yes, the spanner people ) make pelican clone cases for about 1/2 the price of Pelicans. Available at all good engineering supply shops :-)

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

Airhead
8th March 2007, 17:46
I bought H&P for my R80GS which I rode through Africa and Europe. They are tough(ish), but expensive. I mounted a 10l fuelcan on top of each one, however, this created stress fractures due to bumps - I should have dispersed the load to the sides. The advantage of these panniers is they are lockable and look secure (which is most important). I did get my leg caught under one and twisted my ankle a little whilst riding in deep sand and paddling. I think this can be offset by the fact that the panniers (and pots) create a gap where you can slip out when you drop the bike. I also clipped a landrover at speed with one of the panniers - big dent in landrover, pannier unhurt.

Another Kiwi I met had made his own - smaller. Basically took 2 of those 12 pack beer can boxes and used that for his dimensions for each one. He had heaps of room.

Other than that, if you have a decent tank bag which you carry whenever you walk away from the bike, it doesn't matter how you carry your gear. You will have you docs and important gear with you.

www.motobins.co.uk and www.motorworks.co.uk will send to NZ, so check thier websites, or make your own. Also check out the www.horizonsunlimited.com website.

The Duck 01
8th March 2007, 19:17
Hi Well i've just imported a set of Gobi's and SW MOTEC quick release mounting system from Germany.
Markus Norrman is his name and is one very good dude to deal with and his service is the best and his prices are good.
One week to get them from Germany and about two weeks to get them though customs and to my door,but in saying that my other shippment only took a couple of days to get to me.
I will post some pics of my bike as some as i get my computer sorted or take a look at Oldriders Paradoxcil Day Glad and Sad for pics of my Gobi's on the Tiger.
If you want to take alook at Markus's web site dial up

www.noRRus.com.au

Or PM for other details

pete376403
9th March 2007, 10:31
IF YOU DON"T MIND THEM BEING BRIGHT YELLOW< Kingchrome ( yes, the spanner people ) make pelican clone cases for about 1/2 the price of Pelicans. Available at all good engineering supply shops :-)

Cheers, Stu :scooter:

Is that kincrome? And do you have an address of a supplier 'cos I can't find one
Update:
Went to Bunnings and they have the 430 x 380 x 154 sized case. It's the same yellow case as the Kincrome but it's rebranded (something-tech). $99. The direct equivalent Pelican 1500 is $319! However I want the next size up -515x 414 x 200 - which is not stocked at Bunnings. And the Pelican equivalent is either the 1550 (slightly smaller) for $359 or the 1600 (slightly larger) at $449

SlipperyOZ
21st March 2007, 20:59
I run with Pelican cases on my R1200GSA, and recently flipped the bike on the Molesworth track. The cases came through unscathed but had they been aluminum they would have been stuffed!

Withe the DRZ I always run with sodt bags (Because of the weight and to reduce bulk)... Try ANDY STRAPZ soft panniers... Tough and with liners water proof. The other options is WOLFMAN soft luggage which is also waterproof and they also produce tank panniers.

Transalper
21st March 2007, 21:47
... The other options is WOLFMAN soft luggage which is also waterproof and they also produce tank panniers.Is there any one in New Zealand stocking or bringing in Wolfman luggage?

mememe
23rd September 2007, 15:17
I am wanting to buy second hand aluminium panniers and/or top box