PDA

View Full Version : Front Disc Woes

Disco Dan
26th September 2006, 19:33
Hey im pretty new too bikes, but gimme a mini and i can fix anything on it!

...my problem, bought zzr250 from redbaron, really happy with (except want a bigger cc bike to keep up with my mates 'unrestricted' honda firestorm :cool:

...the front wheel has always scraped on the pad, there is some pretty big grooves in the disk but if it left their workshop I assume it must be ok??? If its not can i adjust the pads?? Should i get the front disc skimmed?

...hate being a newbie :weep:

crazybigal
26th September 2006, 20:00
have you spun the front wheel to see if the disc is bent? or axel.
id take it back to them.

riffer
26th September 2006, 22:56
I'm thinking you may be talking about a bit of a scraping noise the pads make when you push the bike forwards or backwards. Is this right?

It could be that your brakes are just a bit gunked up from the brake dust, and the pistons aren't retracting enough.

Do you know enough mechanics to attempt to clean your pads and calipers?

Crasherfromwayback
27th September 2006, 00:21
...the front wheel has always scraped on the pad, there is some pretty big grooves in the disk but if it left their workshop I assume it must be ok??? If its not can i adjust the pads?? Should i get the front disc skimmed?

...hate being a newbie :weep:

Hey there!

Don't panic, as a certain amount of noise can be expected from the disc/pad assembly on most bikes.
If the disc has really big grooves, a previous owner may have run it with worn out pads, and damaged the rotor. WOF requirements are now really anal, so if the disc is below it's min thickness (stamped into disc carrier), you shouldn't have been sold the bike with it like this.

They're very hard to skim and keep them within the stated min thickness range now.

If it's simply a 'strange' noise when you're riding and applying the front brake, it may well just be the holes in the disc rotor passing through the pads.

Failing that......Riffer? I think is 'on the sprocket'!