PDA

View Full Version : Nicko Race Reports - Post Classic GP/VMCC Rnd 5

nicko
26th September 2006, 20:10
NICK ODERMATT RACING
#80 TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675

right, first off excuse the lack of capitals and shortness of reports, typing one handed does that to a man! see below for details.

post classic gp race meeting - taupo 17 sept

this meeting was on the short old track, no esses after hairpin now, seals pretty mint, if a little fresh. got to race at this meet as they had a bears support class....go the trumpy!
updates to bike....micron titanium slip-on exhaust from AMP's.....Power Commander from AMP's, front fork traxxion dynamics catridges from robert taylor @ ohlins. thanks to gav & john @ AMP's for the triumph tune & PC map.
14 bears bikes in the class, a fairly varied mix of bikes. spent a bit of time playing with suspension settings & getting to grips with new fork internals, felt quite good out of the box and managed 4 race wins from 4 starts, good to get a win under the belt on the new bike but gotta wait till i get racing against other 600's to really see how i'll go. the bike sounds awesome with the micron can, swapping out the pipe alone has dropped 4kgs from the bike! haven't dynoed the bike but have put on a pre-existing power commander map which suits the bike well, really smooth power delivery and noticably more boogie than stock.

vic club round 5 - manfield 23 sept

no changes to the bike since taupo other than a new set of tyres. ran with a set of metzeler race-techs. opted for the 180 rear tyre as opposed to the 190 i had on at taupo. we were running the long-track at manfield, first qualifying and i got out and the bike felt fantastic, the smaller rear section tyre was definitely more nimble changing direction & i was starting to feel quite comfortable pushing the bike more into the corners, on my 5th of 5 laps qualified 4th with a 2.00.7. came back in and adjusted some settings on the front forks (thanks to shaun harris for the help). F1 qualifying and dropped a second to a 1.59.8 qualifying 7th (4th of the 600's & also my new personal best time). into race 1 in f2 and i got an alright start into 4th place behind derek mcadam, 3 laps in and braking into the in-field hairpin the back end stepped right out, gripped, then spat me off over the bars in an instant. really bizzare crash and as i found out later another 2 bikes had crashed at the hairpin one lap earlier, one of which leaked oil onto the track which is why my rear tyre stepped out so violently under brakes. rode the bike back to the pits, luckily not too much damage to the bike, wrist was a bit sore & swollen tho to keep on riding, bit gutted to miss the rest of the meeting as I'm sure I could have got my times down even further. had the wrist bandaged by the st johns and ended up as co-commentator with ray whitham for the rest of the day....one way of making sure all the sponsors get a good plug!

so now after getting home and having the wrist x-rayed have found i have a fractured radius and my left arm is in a cast for 6 weeks. bit dissapointing to be out of action for a while but gives me a chance to get some work done on the bike like the paint job & machining some spares. next race meet will probably be the pacific club meet on 26 nov at taupo by which time the wrist would have healed & I'll be itching to get back on the track.

Thanks to my sponsors & supporters:
FREDCO MOTORS, AMPs, TRIUMPH NZ, PROTECTA INSURANCE, SDV, CASTROL, MICRON, POWER COMMANDER, OHLINS

Two Smoker
26th September 2006, 20:22
Gutted about your crash mate... Your pace was awesome... Ah well see you on the track on November the 26th...

Keystone19
27th September 2006, 08:38
Ouch! Sorry to hear about the arm Nick!

Looking forward to seeing the 675 in action!

loosebruce
27th September 2006, 09:06
Nice stuff Nick, great to see your pace improving so much already on the new bike, it must be quite a package alright. Sucks arse bout ya hand mate, but like you said time to get the bike well sorted, like taht hot pink paint job you were talking about :Pokey:

Take it easy aye!

sAsLEX
27th September 2006, 11:42
Bummer about the arm!

Sounds like the trumpy is doing well , many others on them ?

dss3
27th September 2006, 12:05
NICK ODERMATT RACING
#80 TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675

post classic gp race meeting - taupo 17 sept

managed 4 race wins from 4 starts, good to get a win under the belt on the new bike but gotta wait till i get racing against other 600's to really see how i'll go.

BURGLAR!!!

cowpoos
27th September 2006, 12:45
good stuff on those times man....and thanks once again for those bolts!!

robertydog
27th September 2006, 13:23
You doing well. Saw you at the Taupo meeting and i was impressed. Bike sounds great.

kickingzebra
27th September 2006, 14:56
Good stuff bro!! Gutted when I saw it was your bike on the track, but seeing as you weren't lying next to it moaning, I figured you'd be alright.
That commentary was quite good, you might have a retirement plan sussed out already!!
Ohlins are marvy, thanks heaps again for that!!