PDA

View Full Version : Steve K BOB report

steve k
26th September 2006, 22:37
Firstly I would like to give a big thank you to Dangerous, Rashika, Speedygirl, Diesel pig, Spud Racer and all the rest of the CHCH kbers that I met over the course of the weekend. Southern hospitality is alive and well. :jerry:

Race Day

After sorting out gearing thanks to Diesel Pig I signed in and got the bike scrutineered. That done it was time to warm up the engine and take it for a quick canter down the road and back. Seemed to be running fine. the bike is only a week old and has had little testing.

Practice

Went out and took it easy as its been 2 years since I have rode let alone raced a bike. New slicks still needed to be scrubbed and the track was a bit damp so just spent the time gtting used to it all.

First Race

Started off the back of the grid and managed to make a few places up through the kink and into the hairpin. started to get into the swing for a few laps and then speared off at the hairpin for a little grass track action. managed to keep it up right and finish the race.

6 Laps and I was stuffed and no time to dilly dally cause race 2 was called only a couple of mins later.

Second Race

Not much to report here. started from the back again and not sure where I finished. Strating to feel more comfortable on the bike. Seems to have plenty of straight line speed but rider lacks it in the corners. Still havin fun though

there was a small break between race 2 and the main event which was an opportune time to take on water, fuel the bike and check the plug. Plug was looking o.k so back on with the helmet and get ready

55 Min Race

I have never raced a bike in such a big field. 43 buckets on the grid is a pretty impressive sight. Started off the back. Managed to make up a few places off the start and into the kink then upto the hairpin and kept a tight line through there and made a few more places. missed all the action at the front and the dust was still settling as I went around the Hairpin. Got into a pace I was comfortable with and had some good dices. All seemed to be going well untill about the 25 min mark. Coming up the start finish straight the engine hesitated as i shifted into top gear. next lap round and it poped at the hair pin. I coasted off the track and parked it up. After collectimng my thoughts I pushed it back to the pits an pulled the plug. The electrode was covered in aluminium so Im picking the piston has a hole in it.

Dangerous and Rashika Kindly provided buckets for the afternoons racing. Thanks Heaps

Well it was an enjoyable weekend and am looking forward to coming again next year.

Got to say a big thanks to Aj and mudboy for the ride down and up.

I would also like to thank Gary at Metalworx engineering for the late notice work he has done and dan at Motorad for help with getting sprockets.

F5 Dave
27th September 2006, 09:35
Yeah aircooled bikes need to be jetted over rich esp for long races, but MBs are pretty resistant to seizing. The ignition timing is also critical, my H100 which was basically an MB was very touchy for the right position.

Not sure how good those KX ignitions are. Tried one on my RG & it was worse all the way through no matter how it was adjusted which perplexed me. Oddly I am trying it out on my 125 as it fits, maybe it will fare better, but will be in the back of my mind to try another later.

See you seem to have shortened the header? Or was it just a trick of the camera? Did you ever get time to run it up on a dyno? Sometimes it is worth the expense for travelling to a large event with an untested bike.

steve k
27th September 2006, 18:25
Hey Dave

Yeah learnt a couple of things on sunday. Have changed the header length and also ran it up on the dyno. Yet to pull the motor apart though.

It was a good day and am generally happy with the way the bike went. rider on the other hand needs a great deal of work.:(

talk soon

Kickaha
27th September 2006, 18:59
Hey at least you got one prize for "prettiest bike" :lol:

steve k
27th September 2006, 19:05
Hey at least you got one prize for "prettiest bike" :lol:

looks like the north islanders walked away with the real prizes. gotta say it was rigged. dc's rs/mb is a minta

dangerous
27th September 2006, 19:14
Steve, great ya had a sweet time in all absolute bummer bout the bike but hey keep us informed, may be a lowere comp piston and bigger jet.
What is ya carb and jet size?

I have posted up my days events here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=36179 so wont repete my self, but will say bloody awesome to meet you lot, thanks for the effort to get here.

gav
27th September 2006, 20:13
Hey Dave

Yeah learnt a couple of things on sunday. Have changed the header length and also ran it up on the dyno. Yet to pull the motor apart though.

It was a good day and am generally happy with the way the bike went. rider on the other hand needs a great deal of work.:(

talk soon
So what were the results from the dyno? What spec pipe did you get from Thailand? Is it a Tyga pipe?

steve k
27th September 2006, 21:07
So what were the results from the dyno? What spec pipe did you get from Thailand? Is it a Tyga pipe?

hey gav. Yeah its a tyga pipe. its there nsr150 performance pipe. have changed the header length. the motor is quite peaky though. Plenty to work on. reliability being the main one.

steve k
29th September 2006, 22:34
Have just pulled down the motor and this is what I found. Just a little bit of detonation goin on there and what do ya know it has nipped up a little.

dangerous
30th September 2006, 06:54
Bar bar bugger, minamale barrel damage I hope? whats ya conclusion... too lean and or to tight a tolarance? or just a plain old rough bastard riding it?

steve k
30th September 2006, 09:32
Bar bar bugger, minamale barrel damage I hope? whats ya conclusion... too lean and or to tight a tolarance? or just a plain old rough bastard riding it?

Id go with the rough bastard. Probably a little to lean for the long race and a little to much advance. Bore will require a hone but no damage. just some piston stuck to it.

Skunk
30th September 2006, 10:47
Good that it's not too bad Steve.

This was the best piston job I saw at BoB...

steve k
30th September 2006, 14:54

thats one serious seize:buggerd:

dangerous
30th September 2006, 19:21

yeah Nippers GP100, had just been rebored too, was found to have the oil missing out of the gear box and b31 said he saw lots of smoke before the big bang... so I would expect the crank seal went west. :weep:

ajturbo
2nd October 2006, 14:47
Have just pulled down the motor and this is what I found. Just a little bit of detonation goin on there and what do ya know it has nipped up a little.

that looks a LOT like what luke did to his DT175.....

F5 Dave
2nd October 2006, 15:02
I have never seen anything that ugly. Suzuki piston I guess with hidious detonation, timing derived I'd say.