PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSXR250R 1988 model

RZ350R
27th September 2006, 01:50
Guys I need your help!
I just got this bike for my wife, and I been having all kinds of carb problems, from what I think. Anyway the fist thing is I have not been able to find a manual for it the only one I have found is for GSX250, which has 2 (but they each supply 2 cylinders) not 4 carbs. The bike currently has 30mm carbs I am not sure if they are original or not...in the manual of GSX250 they are 27mm.
http://www.dethlefsens.dk/besk_mc/suzuki_gsxr250/download/Suzuki_GSX250F_Service_Manual.pdf

Anyways the bike was choking from the start (if you give full throttle it would shut off) with 30mm carbs and 125 main jet+ was not accelerating good after 9000rpm. I have played with the needles and installed 92 main jets ( in the manual of GSX250 they should be 90) It worked better and started but now it goes 200 meters and stops and is very hard to start, the air-fuel mixture screw is 2 turns out--I was thinking to make it 3 turns, would it help?
Anyway any thoughts would be appriciated...
MANUAL would be great to have!!!

MSTRS
27th September 2006, 09:15
Take it to a shop - carbs have to be right and balanced with each other. Unless you know how and have the correct equipment, you will never get it right.

Drunken Monkey
27th September 2006, 09:18
The GSXR250 is quite a different beast to the GSX250, so the GSX manual won't be much use. It is quite hard to find GSXR250 stuff, I beleive they are Japan Domestic Models only. If you haven't already, try looking here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10556&highlight=manual

_tui_
13th April 2007, 13:14
I have a GSX-R250, I don't really know the difference between yours and mine but I did have both the running like crap problem and the going for 200 meters and stoping problem.

The bad running could be a lack of vacume in the air box, does it have an air filter? if not get one (mine didn't when I got it). And does it seem to run better with the choke on? That's what mine did anyway.
Also check the rubber tube thing between the air box and the carbs are sealing ok. I think as the rubber gets old they don't seal very well so I actually put silicone gasket stuff on mine.
Also check the drainage tube at the bottom of the air box, there should be a tube that comes out and it should have a thingymabob on the end which effectively works as a one way valve.
Basically everything needs to be sealed quite well between the air filter and the carbs.

As for the stopping after 200m try checking you fuel supply.
My bike has 2 tubes comming from the fuel tank, one is a vacume line from the carbs and the other is for your fuel of coarse. Turn the tap to 'on' or 'reserve' and suck on the vacume line to see if the tap is working.
If that's fine check that your fuel line isn't getting kinked on the way to the carbs.
And if that's fine start it up and check that the vacume hose from the carbs is actually sucking.

Good Luck, if that doesn't solve it I probably can't help you but you could ask anyway if you want.

Cheers

bimotabob
26th April 2007, 17:11
Hi

I take it it's the Steel frame model being an 1988 model, they had only 2 carbs like the GSX250 that fed 4 cylinders (works like 4 carbs sharing 2 float chambers) your bike must have different carbs - the later alloy framed model had 4 carbs but never buy ones of those EVER.
If you don't have Vaccum gauges and tuning knowledge it's going to be tough going. These were sold new in large numbers here but are JDM models.
Also comp gauges would be of help so you could check general engine cond.

Regards
Jason