PDA

View Full Version : Taupo track day, 28 September report

Kyle
27th September 2006, 22:00
Well i dont see anyone else posting about the 28,09,06 track day that has just been, so heres abit of a report.

For starters it was a Honda red riders club "rider improvment day" i think they called it, which doesnt mean hondas only, but mostly they were hondas. It was run on just the new track. (dark part in pic1)
I was used to the full track, so the fast left sweeper felt extremly fast. my old nunga nunga 600 was getting over 160kph round there, fully cranked over, draging the footpeg. it felt awesome, grining from ear to ear and yeeha`ing to myself.
The back straight was shorter then pit straight so the bigger bikes werent getting away from me with raw power, as much as they were on the full track. However there was more "bling" then i was used too, even the hyosung was setup for track. heres a pic so you`ll believe me. (pic2)
Day started with slowish practice laps, following Aaron Slight no less, to learn the best lines, and other stuff you learn following a better rider, like when to brake, when to power on and when to start leaning in. And after the sessions we got some pointers. I definately picked up some stuff. Started in B group and later moved to A group. By the end of the day during the faster laps i was powering into corners which i was previously braking into. Learned how to smooth out my serious rear chatter/slide when slowing down at break neck speed. Mostly solved it by bliping the throttle before i let the clutch out, and letting it out smoother.
Learned how to get my knee on the track, just needed to move my arse off the seat more. Not that it seemed to make any difference either way. The footpeg was already touching down, i couldnt possibly lean it any further.
Rooted my front tire. Most of the wear is on the left side and on the edge. but half a tire is not much good, anyone want to buy a right hand tire? The rear pirelli diablo standard is holding up well, quite a hard compound tire compared to some.
Was about 70 bikes. some impressive race bikes, some impressive riding of a st1300 whale, i mean touring bike. Only two offs, one was a cbr 1100 blackbird, went down at the end of pit straight, bugger all damage to the bike really, unless you count the thousands of little scratches on the once-were-shiny fairings. The other off i didnt see anything of but apparantly a race replica cbr1000 went down briefly, near the end of the day.
I ended up doing about 160kms on the track, so about the same distance as the motott track days ive been to. Weather was great, i think i got abit burnt even. BBQ lunch, free coffee, orange juice, water, all supplied. All in all a great day. I can now honestly say i past Aaron Slight on the race track, never mind the fact he was riding with one hand and waving us past, i dont have to mention that bit.
Thats enough rambling from me. go to track days! you will learn more in one day than years of road riding. I still want to see a cruiser on the track, and a goldwing, and a race between a race bike and race car.
:2thumbsup

deeknow
27th September 2006, 22:33
Well i dont see anyone else posting about the 28,09,06 track day that has just been, so heres abit of a report.

Sounds like a great day. Whats the deal with this Honda-riders-club thing, is there a subscription sorta arrangement or is it just a casual thing oranised by your local Honda dealer? (Boyd's in our case I guess?)

Rossi Gal
27th September 2006, 23:26
Honda Riders Club is a country wide thing. they hold track/training days, do rides, insurance(road side rescue), launchs, GP trips, all sorts. really nice ppl. all of these arent limited to just members, its just cheaper for them lol

Hey awesome write-up. sounds like it was a minta day and you learned heaps.. wish id made it! haha

blueblade
28th September 2006, 13:26
Certainly was a top day. I managed to get 3 laps with only two bikes between me and Aaron Slight, then 3 laps directly behind him at faster pace. Later did 3 laps behind Jarrod Love. Think I learned more in those two sessions than in all my previous track days put together. Particularly learned how much difference a foot or so at the apex can make to your exit speed.
Had an awesome day. Love the long left sweeper when its just the short track. Fully cranked over and maxed out in third gear. Left a couple of beauty black lines coming out of the tight left going into the sweeper (one almost resulting in a highside). Last session of the day was almost 30 minutes and had a great scrap with Lyndon (cbr600 race bike) for most of it.
I know its not meant to be a race.....but I think we were!!!! hehehe.
Only downer for me was running out of petrol on the way to the gas station afterwards doh!

emaN
28th September 2006, 13:47
Wikkid Kyle!
Heard some of you lot were down there... You'll be flying at the next MotoTT day, won't ch'ya?
Interesting you were on a Strada too..shows what them things are capable of!

MikeyG
28th September 2006, 16:56
You want to see a cruiser on the track? Come along to the suzuki track day 28/10 or KB trackday 5/11 and I will have the GN out there

Leong
28th September 2006, 21:38
For starters it was a Honda red riders club "rider improvment day" i think they called it, which doesnt mean hondas only, but mostly they were hondas.

Yeah, they call them Rider Development Days, and there were usually three or four instructors out there in each session. One benefit is that you're more likely to be covered by insurance if the worst happens! This was my third HRC Rider Development Day, and each time I've learnt heaps.

This was my first trackday on the Gixxer, and it was better that I could have imagined. I found myself using only second gear, except for about 1 second in third at the end of the pit straight - quite different from the SV650.

Highlight for me was the second session where Aaron Slight got me to follow him for two laps, then followed me for two, and got me to go into the pits with him for a chat. Said I was braking too much into most corners, then realising I could go quicker, got on the throttle too early and upset my line out of the corner. He suggested being smoother with the throttle, and noticed there was a bit much play on my throttle and helped me adjust it out! He answered all my questions about lines, gearing etc with enthusiasm. He really is a top bloke and obviously didn't mind spending time with Suzuki GSX-R riders!

I spent the rest of the day practicing what I'd learnt, and keeping away from traffic. Found I was comfortable hanging off in some corners but not in others. Got toes down on several occasions though I had them tucked in, but the knee sliders are still unscuffed. By the end of the day I was feeling much better about my riding and was physically exhausted!! At the motel that night I was so enthused that I even wrote notes on what I'd learnt!!

It'll be interesting to see how the Suzuki and MotoTT trackdays compare, but the learning experience from these HRC Development Days is so worthwhile that I'll probably register for the next HRC Day on teh 28 November, despite it being only four days after the next MotoTT trackday!

emaN
2nd October 2006, 10:00
The rear pirelli diablo standard is holding up well, quite a hard compound tire compared to some.

Interesting you were on a Strada too..shows what them things are capable of!

don't worry 'bout me... I'll return to my dyslexic cave
mebbe i'm just willing myself into believing stradas are ok on tracks!!