PDA

View Full Version : Went for a ride today.

James Deuce
26th June 2004, 18:42
I spent the morning stripping the bodywork off my bike this morning.

I've owned it since December last year, but I still hadn't had time for a really good look. I finished an assignment this week, and I'd worked like a miner on it for 3 weeks, so I was really keen to go for a ride this morning. Imagine my disappointment when I saw what the weather was like in Wellington.

Searching for an alternative, but one that involved bikes, I thought I may as well clean it properly.

I've been commuting on the bike for about 4 weeks now, and I've been leaving unfashionably early - like in the dark. I've bleated about the TRX's headlight ever since I've had it, but never really had a good look. I took the fairing off, which involves unbolting the headlight, and I could see something was up as soon as I had a good look at the connector and the rubber boot in the back of the headlight unit. The connection was about 30 degrees off vertical. The previous buffoon, uh owner, had incorrectly fitted the spring clip that holds the bulb in place and then adjusted the hell out of the headlight to compensate. Of course the bulb wasn't centred in the reflector, so previous to finding the problem I had had two degrees unfocussed ambient light. Low unfocussed ambient light and, "why did the moon suddenly get brighter?" ambient light.

A few more checks found indicator connectors uncovered, mirrors not bolted on correctly (you can see stuff in them now Mangell6, and they don't vibrate quite so badly) and a bent bracket. A few judicious taps with a mallet and a block of wood and the bracket was fixed.

I then scrubbed all the accumulated crap from commuting off the engine and frame, cleaned and polished fairing and tank, and reassembled. By now it was windy as well as wet, so I retreated indoors, where the "go for a ride now" fairy sat on my shoulder and whinged about staying inside.

At about 4pm I threw the gear on and headed over the Rimutakas to the In-Laws. Seems the wife was sick of me talking back to the "go for a ride" fairy and was desparate for a different view, having been trapped with a raving nutcase for the last 3 weeks.

You know what? Despite the diesel, gravel, roadworks, tentative and VERY slow car drivers I had a ball. You know that feeling you get when you feel all the traction waft away from both tyres just before you apex a corner. And you "theoretically" know that you should gas it to unload the front tyre? It's bloody true!! Not once, not twice, but thrice I exited a corner crossed up, and gassed up. Nice.

Almost made up for the withering look the Mother-in-law gave me for turning up at the farm in the middle of winter, on a windy and rainy night, on the evil motorbike.

mangell6
26th June 2004, 22:58
A few more checks found indicator connectors uncovered, mirrors not bolted on correctly (you can see stuff in them now Mangell6, and they don't vibrate quite so badly) and a bent bracket. A few judicious taps with a mallet and a block of wood and the bracket was fixed.

Thank goodness, not that the mirror vibration on the FZ1s is that good anyway.

CSL can bring her bike around to your place for you to clean, I mena show her the finer points of motorbike cleanliness, will keep William entertained.

dangerous
26th June 2004, 23:23
Dont realy no a hell ofa lot about the TRX nice bike though :yes: theres one that often goes past my place with a belly pan and noisy pipes and for a tandom twin it sounds shit hot, thought that sound only came from a vee twin.

Why havent Yamaha put the 900 twin into the TRX I would think that it would have to bring the hp up a bit?

James Deuce
27th June 2004, 03:20
Dont realy no a hell ofa lot about the TRX nice bike though :yes: theres one that often goes past my place with a belly pan and noisy pipes and for a tandom twin it sounds shit hot, thought that sound only came from a vee twin.

Why havent Yamaha put the 900 twin into the TRX I would think that it would have to bring the hp up a bit?

It has a 270 degree firing order so it sounds like a lumpy ol' 90 degree twin.

The TRX is a bit of a cult bike (i.e. didn't sell in huge numbers) and I'd love to see an updated version. I reckon the new 900 engine would be great. Apparently the TDM sold in bigger numbers than the TRX, despite being saddled with looks that would make even the most enthusiastic mother make excuses for it.

Ms Piggy
27th June 2004, 09:54
Glad to hear you got the assignment done and a ride in.

Well done you. :ride:

Hitcher
27th June 2004, 14:42
Mirror vibrationnnnnnnnn. The best effects I've noted are looking at the reflected speed limit signs on the Ngauranga Gorge. Woo hoo!!

FROSTY
27th June 2004, 15:09
Ya know jim I keep looking at the trx and think goddang it thats a nice bike.
I keep meaning to scab a ride one one to see if they go as good as they look.

mangell6
27th June 2004, 15:58
Ya know jim I keep looking at the trx and think goddang it thats a nice bike.
I keep meaning to scab a ride one one to see if they go as good as they look.

XJ?FROSTY - You don't wanna scab a ride on one of those things believe me, it is down right dangerous. Ask Jim he will tell you, my wife hired me one for my birthday several years ago and I could not stretch the dollars to buy the last of the new ones, so I got an RF900R instead.

Mike

LB
27th June 2004, 16:37
Jim2 - was it you on the TRX today who stopped at teh top of the hill with a couple of guys on our ride? An old GSXR750 was there with you when I went through, and you went through Carterton as I was parking at Wild Oats?

FROSTY
27th June 2004, 16:39
XJ?FROSTY - You don't wanna scab a ride on one of those things believe me, it is down right dangerous. Ask Jim he will tell you, my wife hired me one for my birthday several years ago and I could not stretch the dollars to buy the last of the new ones, so I got an RF900R instead.

Mike
What makes ya say that mike? I thought they had a good rep for handling

Paul in NZ
27th June 2004, 16:45
About time you cleaned it.. Bloody disgraceful, ;-)

We should meet up one lunchtime this week and I'll kick your arse on the video arcade IOM TT too :whistle:

I spent all day in the shed yesterday with 2 (suposed) mates working on their bikes and they drank all my beer, ate all our food and buggered of home with my front wheel? How does that work? :beer: Still! A very pleasant way to pass the day.

Oh well, so a day in the garden today pruning trees and stuff untill I get a few beers in me and I'll go whack the bearings off the triumph crank and do the little mod (again) to the Guzzi wiring. Jeeze what moron designed the Guzzi wiring ??

paul N

James Deuce
27th June 2004, 16:51
What makes ya say that mike? I thought they had a good rep for handling

He means if you ride it, you'll buy it :)

mangell6
27th June 2004, 16:52
I had to settle for second best. :(

James Deuce
27th June 2004, 17:06
Rode home today.

It was dry on the Wairarapa side so the new front got scrubbed in a bit better. Was great fun.

Stopped at the top of the hill at about 3pm, watched some V8 racing on telly, and had the nicest cup of filter coffee I've had in ages.

Slithering down the hill was great fun, and there were a few spots where I got held up by those dastardly 4 wheel conveyances again. 4 times the traction and 16 times the lateral grip, and they still can't go faster than a bike with a tyre footprint the size of half a newborn baby's butt. And they reckon we don't need to improve driver training? There was one woman in a Toyota (insert made-up word here) mini-MPV that made a fine showing and she actually overtook (bullied out of the way) a couple of cars on the way down the hill too.

Lynda, that wasn't me as I didn't go near Carterton today on the bike, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't me you saw on top of the hill.

I need some help folks. I'm off to the West Coast of the Sth Is. for a weekend off in July and I need a waterproof oversuit. Anyone got any suggestions? I'd like one that included over booties if possible. If not, what are some good over booties.

Cheers

Jim

Kickaha
27th June 2004, 19:26
I need some help folks. I'm off to the West Coast of the Sth Is. for a weekend off in July and I need a waterproof oversuit. Anyone got any suggestions? I'd like one that included over booties if possible. If not, what are some good over booties.

Cheers

Jim

Where on the coast are you heading Jim,I might see if a few of the guys want to ride over and say gidday?

LB
28th June 2004, 05:24
I've got a set of Spidi overboots that are really good. About $80-odd from Motomail. Can't loan them to you as in the slight chance I ride in rain I'll need them, but would thoroughly recommend them. Happy to show them to you if you like - let me know if you'd like to look at them and we'll arrange to meet up.

Can't help re the rainsuit sorry.

James Deuce
28th June 2004, 07:10
I've got a set of Spidi overboots that are really good. About $80-odd from Motomail. Can't loan them to you as in the slight chance I ride in rain I'll need them, but would thoroughly recommend them. Happy to show them to you if you like - let me know if you'd like to look at them and we'll arrange to meet up.

Can't help re the rainsuit sorry.
Thanks very much!

Not after a loan, I want to buy some for myself.

Cheers

James Deuce
28th June 2004, 08:53
Where on the coast are you heading Jim,I might see if a few of the guys want to ride over and say gidday?
That would be excellent mate. We're looking at the Blackball Hilton on the Friday night and back up to Nelson for the Saturday.

HAven't confirmed dates and times yet.

Will let you know.

:2thumbsup

matthewt
29th June 2004, 01:16
Thanks very much!

Not after a loan, I want to buy some for myself.

Cheers

I've got the same overboots and they are quite good. If you get stuck you can borrow mine.