PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Computer Users

WRT
28th September 2006, 16:15
You have to laugh at the users sometimes . . . our marketing lady has just come to me with a small problem. She’s got this black paper that she wants to print onto, so she has created this document and set the font colour to be white. However whenever she prints it she just get a blank page . . .

Funnily enough, she’s normally pretty on to it and she is person that looks after the toner supplies for that copier/printer (as she's the main user), so I quietly asked her when she last filled the white toner . . . which was met with a blank look, followed by “oh, I haven’t thought this through properly, have I?”

Wasp
28th September 2006, 16:17
count yourself lucky, here we deal with teachers with computers....

skelstar
28th September 2006, 16:20
Thats quite funny.

WRT
28th September 2006, 16:27
Oh god, it gets worse. Ok, I take back my previous comments about her being onto it, I've just had this email off her:

Rang Ricoh, no such thing as white toner!!!!! FARK.

WRT
28th September 2006, 16:28
Have just suggested she take out the black toner and fill it with twink . . .

Postie
28th September 2006, 16:30
I miss that place.........:(

Cookie
28th September 2006, 16:35
Twink - now that's good. :D

I often say to some of my more intellectually dependent colleagues, "There's no such thing as a dumb question, but they are the easiest to answer".

SwanTiger
28th September 2006, 16:36
Why can't you just be honest with her? "Hey you silly bitch, *explanation here*".

My clients love it when I go in to fix a problem and start swearing at the person responsible.

WRT
28th September 2006, 16:39
I was honest! I originally told her to call ricoh and get some white toner, then she clicked to it all and we had a laugh etc. Then I suggested just printing a black background on white paper as we dont pay for toner, and left it at that. Then 5mins later I get an email saying ricoh dont have white toner . . .

ManDownUnder
28th September 2006, 16:42
WRT - give us her phone and name... I'll ring and pretend to be from the Stationary Supplies shop...

WRT
28th September 2006, 16:47
I cant do that sorry MDU. I've already been uninvited from the staff xmas party (it was the invites that she was trying to print)!

Postie
28th September 2006, 16:51
I cant do that sorry MDU. I've already been uninvited from the staff xmas party (it was the invites that she was trying to print)!

sweet, I'll take your place then mate

WRT
28th September 2006, 16:53
sweet, I'll take your place then mate

Mate, just how bad is your new job???

Postie
28th September 2006, 16:58
Mate, just how bad is your new job???

its not bad, its just very very quite and I'm bored, so bored I have read my weetbix box from corner to corner 3 or 4 times a day.

Steam
28th September 2006, 17:09
Once a friend of mine got an entire 2000 word essay embossed in white on white card, it looked damn cool. You couldn't see anything until you looked at it from an angle and got a reflection.

FlangMasterJ
29th September 2006, 08:02
You can do quite a cool looking job by printing onto black card using a rich black for example C=50 M=50 Y=50 K=100. So you have a matt card with a slightly raised and glossy black text.

Jeeze I need a holiday!:weep:

magicfairy
29th September 2006, 14:14
You gotta be careful what you say to users. I was a sys admin at Sealord back when it was all coax cable.

I used to tell the users to let me move their PCs, cos if they disconnected the cable the wrong way all the bytes fell out on the floor.

Well one day the LAN went down, I start hunting for the fault armed with 2 terminators (some of you will know what I mean) and I come across some cable sticking out of the wall with a knot tied in it.
You got it ! The Engineer who was moving his PC did it to stop the bytes falling out.

Same dept that rang to say PC wasn't working, sitting in dark room with no power. Even when I got them to check (over phone) PC was plugged in it and switched on at the wall they didn't click till I actually asked the question "you do have power don't you?"

Wasp
29th September 2006, 14:32
I start hunting for the fault armed with 2 terminators (some of you will know what I mean)
heck.... im nearly 18 and i know what you mean..... WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!!!! :(:weep: :buggerd:

(i had a nice collection of T junctions that I made stuff out of too....)